Please buff the seaglide.

ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
edited December 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
What the player (or at least- me) expects from the seaglide is an "earlygame seamoth"- a tool that lets you move around much faster for exploration, resource gathering etc.

However, there is one big issue with the seaglide- power. That thing eats through batteries like there's no tomorrow, which basically leaves you with two choices if you want to use it: 1) craft and carry a lot of spare batteries or 2) only use it in emergencies or when you need to dive deep (below 70 mostly),

I would advise multiplying the battery life of the seaglide by at least 3.

P.S. It would also be convenient to be able to turn off the terrain shape display- cool as it may be, it's pretty useless most of the time and it takes up a good portion of the screen.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I still think we need mods for the SeaGlide like we do with other tools.

Have the factory default model be extremely basic, no map (Current model) and no Turbo (PowerGlide)
    Then let us choose which upgrade we want to give it at the Modification Station.
    Either we can get the ScoutGlide with the map
    Or we can get the PowerGlide with the turbo boost
    I'd like for a TorpedoGlide as well that has a built in Torpedo Launcher
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Heh, or let us craft and place tiny upgrade chip modules in it like the other subs. :D
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Elavion wrote: »
    What the player (or at least- me) expects from the seaglide is an "earlygame seamoth"- a tool that lets you move around much faster for exploration, resource gathering etc.

However, there is one big issue with the seaglide- power. That thing eats through batteries like there's no tomorrow, which basically leaves you with two choices if you want to use it: 1) craft and carry a lot of spare batteries or 2) only use it in emergencies or when you need to dive deep (below 70 mostly),

I would advise multiplying the battery life of the seaglide by at least 3.

P.S. It would also be convenient to be able to turn off the terrain shape display- cool as it may be, it's pretty useless most of the time and it takes up a good portion of the screen.

As it stands, this thing's pretty useless atm. I woldn't say multiply it by three, but we should definitely find a sweetspot between what it was earlier in the year and what it is now. People are talking about upgrades, which I guess you could have? Maybe the Seaglide comes with a sort of tutorial to upgrads, with modules that you have to craft in a fabricator, and when you're done with this mini-tutorial the AI tells you that int he future a separate station will be needed to make upgrades.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    So you guys know, speed might be an issue. Strader recently explained that the vehicles currently in the game is about as fast as they estimate the game can handle. Someone else brought up this is probs why the powerglide is currently unavailable, but this was not responded to by a dev so the truthfulness isn't certain.

So, more speed is not something we can readily expect, at least for the already speedy vehicles. Maybe further optimization opens up more avenues, but that's hope at best.

In any case, I would like a slightly better energy to travel time ratio, but I'd also be fine if the lithium ion batteries can be a thing again, with a handful being in boxes in the Crash Zone to bridge the time to the Modification Station.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    So you guys know, speed might be an issue. Strader recently explained that the vehicles currently in the game is about as fast as they estimate the game can handle. Someone else brought up this is probs why the powerglide is currently unavailable, but this was not responded to by a dev so the truthfulness isn't certain.

So, more speed is not something we can readily expect, at least for the already speedy vehicles. Maybe further optimization opens up more avenues, but that's hope at best.

In any case, I would like a slightly better energy to travel time ratio, but I'd also be fine if the lithium ion batteries can be a thing again, with a handful being in boxes in the Crash Zone to bridge the time to the Modification Station.

Speed is only a problem due to poor world load optimization. As they get the game running smoother and smoother, they'll be able to make vehicles faster with fewer problems.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    edited December 2016

We don't really need it bo be faster though. Just less power-hungry.
  • BreakingForceBreakingForce Join Date: 2016-12-17 Member: 225066Members

qft. i hardly use the seaglide, tbh. it's just not worth carrying tons of batteries (which become much less useful once you have access to a seamoth and/or a recharging station)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members

qft. i hardly use the seaglide, tbh. it's just not worth carrying tons of batteries (which become much less useful once you have access to a seamoth and/or a recharging station)

That and the seaglide itself is pretty massive.
  • MalsqueekMalsqueek United States Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216835Members
    I'd like to see it be about 50% to 75% more battery efficient, and honestly would either love to have the topo map either be at a smaller scale (shows a slightly larger area) or entirely removed.

At present, the topo is so large a scale as to be borderline useless. I do use it, but mostly just for swift surfacing and wreck exploration.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    edited December 2016
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

That and the seaglide itself is pretty massive.

This annoyed me so much when I built the Cyclops. The seaglide doesn't fit in the built-in lockers and my whole plan of having everything diving-related in them fell apart :C .
    I know I can just build a regular locker, but that's not the point.

Also, now that I think about it the seaglide takes up effectively 10 inventory slots (including 1 replacement battery that's pretty much mandatory atm). That's enough space for 2.5 airtanks.
  • andrewcandrewc Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225231Members
    Initially it needs to be this crappy... it should be upgradeable later