2.0y Onos Stuck Fixes

WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">question</div> Does this mean that ns_nancy is coming back? Or are the stuck issues on that map purely map-entity related?

Comments

• sk84zer0sk84zer0 Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17478Members
    ns_nancy isnt going to come back
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    I believe the problem with nancy was the hull, which can't be fixed with game code.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    ns_nancy was compiled with the default HL hull sizes instead of the custom NS hull sizes, so collision detection just won't work properly on it. There was a bug in the 1.04 code which sort of masked this problem, but once we fixed it for 2.0 ns_nancy became unplayable.

The 2.0y stuck fixes are related to movement chambers, redemption and building on top of other players.

Max
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    There is work to de-compile nancy and redo it to work with 2.0. However, it will certainly not make the 2.0 release and I doubt (unless the original author chimes in with the map file) it will ever be good enough for people to really like. I would love to be proven wrong.
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    same here... why can't we find the guy who made ns_nancy?? where is he? Or will he refuse to give up source??
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The source for ns_nancy was lost in a HD crash.

Max
  • Dr_AwkwardDr_Awkward Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9395Members
    People keep talking about the possibility of decompiling Nancy and making a new source. Is this possible? If it is, what's stopping them?
  • BonelessBoneless Join Date: 2002-09-03 Member: 1270Members
  • InfraRedInfraRed Join Date: 2003-01-20 Member: 12508Members, Constellation
    <a href='http://freespace.morat.net/grayfox/winbsp.zip' target='_blank'>WinBSP</a> will decompile .bsp to .map. I keep getting an illegal op on my system (XP Pro) I dont know why but I have used it before and managed to decompile 2fort into a .map file which worked fine in Hammer.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    Map decompilation is very tricky and even when it works correctly it usually requires very significant fixes and tweaks to make the map rebuildable into a carbon copy of the original. This is complicated by the fact that NS maps, especially the official ones, are VERY complicated and every attempt I've made or seen at decompiling one has resulted in total failure.

Is map decompilation possible? Yes. But if someone was able to decompile nancy I would imagine that there would be a ton of work that would have to be applied to the results to make a new and working version of the map.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    So the only way to bring nancy back is to recreate it from scratch. Sounds like Real Hard Work™.
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    edited July 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--InfraRed+Jul 23 2003, 03:58 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (InfraRed @ Jul 23 2003, 03:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <a href='http://freespace.morat.net/grayfox/winbsp.zip' target='_blank'>WinBSP</a> will decompile .bsp to .map. I keep getting an illegal op on my system (XP Pro) I dont know why but I have used it before and managed to decompile 2fort into a .map file which worked fine in Hammer. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS maps are too huge and complex for winbsp to handle.

Besides winbsp is horrible. You basically still have to remake the map with the horrid brush work winbsp has.