This game is pre-alpha?!

JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
Seriously, it looks more polished than many released titles...kudos UWE :D You guys out did yourself for just an alpha build. Truly remarkable.

Comments

• marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    You realise that Alpha is generally a lot more to do with code progress rather than art progress, right? Alpha usually means code complete for all core gameplay features.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    2 set up screenshots don't give you much of an idea how good it's going to look in motion either. Alpha is most likely going to have some funky situations where animations don't match and so on.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    what are you talking about? we've been playing the alpha for a month now?

if you pre-ordered just go here with your CD key and download the client :) <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/NS2/alphatester.php" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/NS2/alphatester.php</a>
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    I hate to break it to you guys, but nobody ever said those screenshots were of gameplay. It's an in-engine mockup. Yes, the art is good, but you aren't looking at an image of people playing a game, just posed models.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1735433:date=Nov 1 2009, 09:17 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 1 2009, 09:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735433"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate to break it to you guys, but nobody ever said those screenshots were of gameplay. It's an in-engine mockup. Yes, the art is good, but you aren't looking at an image of people playing a game, just posed models.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where does it say that they are posed models? I hate to break it to you, but nobody ever said those were screenshots of posed models...except you.

They are in-engine/in-game screenshots.

Quote from the front page blog

"There is nothing touched-up in these shots. Like editing with our tools, what you see is what you get!"

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TOUCHED-UP.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    Considering they've provided plenty of in-engine screenshots before this, and these are labeled as the "first NS2 screenshots", it's reasonable to conclude that these are ingame screenshots.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    This game is just as unfinished as any other game in Alpha. The difference is that UWE did engine stuff before it started making art assets, so everything looks pretty. Even if there isn't too many things to make pretty.
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735435:date=Nov 2 2009, 02:21 AM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Nov 2 2009, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"There is nothing touched-up in these shots. Like editing with our tools, what you see is what you get!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right - like I said, it's "in-engine." That doesn't mean its showing "gameplay." They said in the blog update that the game won't be ready to play in an alpha state, with ONE single level, until some unspecified time NEXT YEAR, so what do you think an image of multiple aliens and multiple marines attacking each other on a seemingly finished map is showing? Think about it.

In fact, if you compare the two skulks in the first screen, they are in the exact same pose. I'm not saying its "fake," all I'm saying is it can't possibly be indicative of the actual state of the game, based on the information UWE has released.

<a href="http://content.screencast.com/users/mattemuse/folders/Jing/media/bfcc767c-1e8a-4617-a375-9838dbc2f73b/2009-11-01_2137.png" target="_blank">http://content.screencast.com/users/mattem...-11-01_2137.png</a>

<!--quoteo(post=1735438:date=Nov 2 2009, 02:26 AM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Nov 2 2009, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game is just as unfinished as any other game in Alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not in Alpha, and it's not going to be in a playable alpha state until sometime in 2010 as they say in their latest news update
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Lol! Zex, you crack me up. There is no conspiracy here! Now granted the shots probably don't show "Gameplay" in the sense that they were not actually playing a round of NS2 when it was captured. But to say its just a mock-up render is belittling what the UWE team has done over the last couple of months. Heres my interpretation of this screenshot.

CHARLIE:

"Ok, Corey go stand on the ceiling so we can show them the wall walking"

"Good, now Max, stand on the floor right in front of me so they can see the Skulks face and body."

"Matt! Stop humping Cory's skulk and flap in the background, I better see no hovaring without flapping..."

"Alright I'll stand back here a little bit with the LMG first person model and Kurt start shooting to show off our muzzleflash and firing anims.. *screen CAP*"

There you have it an in-game screen shot. Now if that annoys you that they were probably not actively playing a 5 person round of NS2 when these were captured then you need to pull your head out of your butt and be realistic.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1735440:date=Nov 1 2009, 09:37 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 1 2009, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right - like I said, it's "in-engine." That doesn't mean its showing "gameplay." They said in the blog update that the game won't be ready to play in an alpha state, with ONE single level, until some unspecified time NEXT YEAR, so what do you think an image of multiple aliens and multiple marines attacking each other on a seemingly finished map is showing? Think about it.

In fact, if you compare the two skulks in the first screen, they are in the exact same pose. I'm not saying its "fake," all I'm saying is it can't possibly be indicative of the actual state of the game, based on the information UWE has released.

<a href="http://content.screencast.com/users/mattemuse/folders/Jing/media/bfcc767c-1e8a-4617-a375-9838dbc2f73b/2009-11-01_2137.png" target="_blank">http://content.screencast.com/users/mattem...-11-01_2137.png</a>

It's not in Alpha, and it's not going to be in a playable alpha state until sometime in 2010 as they say in their latest news update<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's funny is that in past tweets, the Dev's have mentioned they played a few rounds together to tweak some of the balancing. Technically the game is playable. I'm sure of course that not every gameplay aspect is fully finished, but it's probably nearly there. It sounds like animation is their priority right now, and synchronizing the animation with player movement and such. As the poster said before me, the devs could have easily just been playing, or had just set themselves up to get a screen shot as if they were playing. The gameplay is still occuring though.
    Game developers actually need/have the time to start a server and choreograph a nonfunctional multiplayer match in a pre-pre-pre-Alpha build, in order to get two screenshots of some player models standing around? Those skulk models just happened to all be playing the exact same frame of their walk animation? It sounds like it's you who should start being a little more realistic here.

Also, I never called it a "render." I keep repeating myself, I'm not saying it's "faked," it is clearly a screenshot taken from within the Spark engine.
    What I am saying, aside from this:

<!--quoteo(post=1735442:date=Nov 2 2009, 02:51 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Nov 2 2009, 02:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735442"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the shots probably don't show "Gameplay" in the sense that they were not actually playing a round of NS2 when it was captured.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

is that if you are looking at the screens and saying OMG IT LOOKS LIKE A FINISHED GAME, you are reading way too much into it.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    i find it funny when lots of people are arguing the same point!..

in fact

I think its in-game renders, not models posed and and photos taken.. or is that a in game render.. either way

im right your wrong!
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    The graphics QUALITY is far superior to what many games have in their pre-alpha build. I'm sorry you misunderstood and thought I was talking about the quality of the gameplay being portrayed... Thanks for taking my thread lauding the UWE team for their attention to artistic detail even at such an early build of the game and turning it into another "UWE LIED TO US" thread. I'm going to stifle myself from saying more, but Zex, seriously man, if you think UWE are doing nothing but trying to deceive you at every possible turn, then leave.
  • GeezerGeezer Join Date: 2004-09-28 Member: 31976Members
    Useful thread is useful.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Considering the vent screenshot matches the concept sketch it is reasonable to conclude that they are not actually 'playing' the game but rather posing for the screenshot. I imagine the biggest difference is that the models are now actually being controlled by networked clients. Visually, there is really no difference at all.
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735449:date=Nov 2 2009, 03:30 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Nov 2 2009, 03:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"UWE LIED TO US"...UWE are doing nothing but trying to deceive you at every possible turn<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damn, dude, what is so hard to understand about the multiple times I've stated that I'm not saying the screens are "fake?" If there's something about my writing style that makes it hard for you to figure out what I'm saying, I apologize. I haven't seen any of the devs refer to the screenshots as "gameplay," so obviously what I'm saying doesn't contradict them at all. If I'm mistaken about this, feel free to point out their use of the term "gameplay" and I'll be forced to rethink my position.

Also, yeah, if you're just talking about the art quality, I totally agree with you that its fantastic.

<!--quoteo(post=1735445:date=Nov 2 2009, 02:57 AM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Nov 2 2009, 02:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's funny is that in past tweets, the Dev's have mentioned they played a few rounds together to tweak some of the balancing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually read through the twitter feed and couldn't find what you are referring to...care to point it out? I didn't see anything like that.
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735455:date=Nov 1 2009, 09:45 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 1 2009, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn, dude, what is so hard to understand about the multiple times I've stated that I'm not saying the screens are "fake?" If there's something about my writing style that makes it hard for you to figure out what I'm saying, I apologize. I haven't seen any of the devs refer to the screenshots as "gameplay," so obviously what I'm saying doesn't contradict them at all. If I'm mistaken about this, feel free to point out their use of the term "gameplay" and I'll be forced to rethink my position.

Also, yeah, if you're just talking about the art quality, I totally agree with you that its fantastic.

I actually read through the twitter feed and couldn't find what you are referring to...care to point it out? I didn't see anything like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd imagine this is what he's talking about?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--># Doing a little light playtesting with the gang. Haven't tried it across the Intarweb for awhile. #fb4:26 PM Jul 17th from TweetDeck<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1735472:date=Nov 2 2009, 01:24 AM:name=sicbud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sicbud @ Nov 2 2009, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd imagine this is what he's talking about?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that's the one. Thanks.

Zex man, does it really matter that much to you? I think everyone should be fortunate to even be seeing 2 screen shots. The devs like to play it quiet, but Oct 31st means a lot to Charlie, so of course he's going to celebrate the universe of Natural Selection, and most likely tell us where his team is at. To even just give 2 screen shots, I seriously couldn't have asked for more.

Sure anyone can ask for more, there are so many things the Devs have said they would share (ex. The Lerk, although we have a sneak peak now) and they can't cater to everyone hence their scheduel being incredibly busy because they want to get their game to an Alpha stage. To even announce that their tools are coming out in November (this month as we speak...it could even be later on today! We don't know!) is remarkable news.

Patience is the key right now in terms of waiting for more news, more media, more NS2 in general. I wouldn't be happier with a different team that would work on NS2. Without these guys, I would probably go insane thinking that the one game I'm dying to play would probably get ruined and I'm pretty positive everyone could agree with me on that. NS2 is in good hands. It will generate a lot of money for sure, as long as it continues to gain more attention on gaming news sites, and once it goes up for purchase on Steam.

With 2 in-game screenshots , a teaser, a bunch of models to view, lots of reveal videos, blog updates, a facebook page, a wiki, forums, a fully functional site with a good working server, a built advanced game engine by probably the most talented coder in the world in this generation, using the community's feedback on blog updates for gameplay (ex. Taser), these guys are sure as hell on the right track. I will be pleasently awaiting for more updates, the tools this month, more screenshots, more reveals, and communicating with one of the, if not THE best game community to ever exist about the excitement that is NS and NS2.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    I skimmed through most of this, but I did find one reasonable sentence in this topic.

You need to pull your head out of your butt and be realistic.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited November 2009
    Did you even look at the picture you posted as evidence that the skulks have the exact same pose?

They're obviously not the same, or even mirrored. The mouths are different, the shoulders are different and their fore-legs are in different places.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735431:date=Nov 1 2009, 08:11 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 1 2009, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735431"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what are you talking about? we've been playing the alpha for a month now?

if you pre-ordered just go here with your CD key and download the client :) ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You sir, make me very, very sad.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735504:date=Nov 2 2009, 01:48 AM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Nov 2 2009, 01:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think everyone should be fortunate to even be seeing 2 screen shots.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why are we fortunate? We are suppose to be playing the game right now, not looking at 2 posed screenshots. If patience is a virtue so is meeting a deadline. Time to fire the artists and hire some engineers.
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735514:date=Nov 2 2009, 02:43 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Nov 2 2009, 02:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are suppose to be playing the game right now, not looking at 2 posed screenshots.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And was supposed to win the lottery last week, damned!

<!--quoteo(post=1735514:date=Nov 2 2009, 02:43 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Nov 2 2009, 02:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If patience is a virtue so is meeting a deadline.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a noble thought in paper and that's the way it'd be in a perfect world. We also have to remember, like so many have stated, that UWE never set an actual we-promise-release-date. And what kind of a NS-fan I'd be if I didn't know about the Fall 2009, but gummy bears just don't get distributed evenly.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735440:date=Nov 2 2009, 12:37 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not in Alpha, and it's not going to be in a playable alpha state until sometime in 2010 as they say in their latest news update<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Theres a difference between an internal alpha and an alpha they are willing to give out to the public.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    Nobody gives out alpha's to the public. You're thinking of beta, which means the game is pretty much finished.
    <!--quoteo(post=1735504:date=Nov 2 2009, 09:48 AM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Nov 2 2009, 09:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think everyone should be fortunate to even be seeing 2 screen shots. Oct 31st means a lot to Charlie, so of course he's going to celebrate...I seriously couldn't have asked for more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see the twitter post and acknowledge that it is plausible that the 2 screens are depicting in-game players. My conclusions may not have been correct.

....Also, UWE "celebrated" Oct 31st by announcing the delay of the game? And you couldn't have asked for more? Really?
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735553:date=Nov 2 2009, 12:35 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->....Also, UWE "celebrated" Oct 31st by announcing the delay of the game? And you couldn't have asked for more? Really?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    People criticized the devs during the last few weeks for not addressing the "Fall 09" issue. The devs then answered to this situation in the interviews posted on October 31st and they offered some screenshots. So as far as I'm concerned, I can't ask anything more than being honest with us customers, and they are. I trust UWE and I know they'll come up with a superb, orignial and asskicking game. Delaying the game is nothing alarming to me. So yeah, kudos to the team!
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1735553:date=Nov 2 2009, 11:35 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see the twitter post and acknowledge that it is plausible that the 2 screens are depicting in-game players. My conclusions may not have been correct.

....Also, UWE "celebrated" Oct 31st by announcing the delay of the game? And you couldn't have asked for more? Really?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it also said about the process and how it couldn't have been accomplished if it weren't for us, and that they are feeling sentimental yet hopeful about the future and that we got features that would have not been in there if it weren't for us. Also two screenshots from the game itself and getting a feel that looks just delicious from in-game.
    See, I angled mine too and read what's in there that a person who might care for games and the developers think.
    Also, we got a 'date' on that we will get our hands on the editor as well this month which will show a lot more content on these forums from people who are creating new maps themselves.
    Yes, in my opinion he couldn't have asked for more.
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735553:date=Nov 2 2009, 11:35 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see the twitter post and acknowledge that it is plausible that the 2 screens are depicting in-game players. My conclusions may not have been correct.

....Also, UWE "celebrated" Oct 31st by announcing the delay of the game? And you couldn't have asked for more? Really?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would much rather hear their progress about the game, where they are at, then the devs saying nothing at all and nothing happening. Receiving two screenshots as well is even HUGE for a lot of people including myself. We finally get an indication of what the game will look like, and it looks promising.

Not only that, but we're receiving the tools this month very early, and who knows, it could be today, tomorrow, early next week. Everyone should be excited for this to be happening.

This is why, I was saying, I couldn't ask for more at a time like this. The devs are doing a damn fine job. I'm definately sure this has probably been said on the forums well over 100 times now, but I would much rather have a finished polished game, than something broken, people complaining, and then the entire community ditching to go play terrible games like COD: MW2 where the depth of gameplay is lacking. I want the devs to be proud of their work, achieve an active community, and build upon what they have and continue to improve, rather than being stuck somewhere, not caring at all, and losing their entire community, which COULD also cause NS1 to die completely (I doubt it though since NS1 is still an amazing game imo to a lot of people still including myself).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2009
    Why so serious :P

Also a lot of people in this thread are going to look back at their post and think WTF was I thinking... Sometimes I think some of you are just arguing for the sake of arguing by constantly repeating the same things just to prove a vague point... Ah internet, this is one of the reason you are there (and some more sinister reasons as well of course :P)