The Spark Editor

Comments

• duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    It's nothing like source or hl1 mark. You don't need to optimise anything.
  • CarnaxusCarnaxus REIGN OF CHAOS! co_sava (NS1) Join Date: 2004-10-01 Member: 32036Members
    edited October 2009
    There's always some optimization.

Still...pre-ordering now so I can di<!--coloro:white--><span style="color:white"><!--/coloro-->n<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->k around...XD

And d i n k is a banned word? (used color tags to offset it, but I'll undo if it's not allowed)
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735165:date=Oct 31 2009, 11:54 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Oct 31 2009, 11:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's nothing like source or hl1 mark. You don't need to optimise anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

pimpppppp! I might actually start doing whole levels when I get my hands on Spark, you totally just made my day oli =D
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Plus, any changes you need to make to a level, you can see instantly. What you see in the editor is the game engine itself.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It's november here in sweden...

*stares at inbox*

...any time now...
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735165:date=Oct 31 2009, 04:54 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Oct 31 2009, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's nothing like source or hl1 mark. You don't need to optimise anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    say what?

that's so awesome
  • PolskaPolska Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10782Members
    Can't wait for this. I never jumped into making NS1 maps, but even to tinker and see what the engine can do will be fun. Who knows, I may grow to love making maps :D.
    edited November 2009
    The only things you need to worry about is using expensive lighting and dynamic items, really. I mean, sure, if you were to make a massive room with detail and special effects coming out of the ass you'd probably have some computers struggle. But the point is the engine does its own occlusion culling so there's not really much optimization to do.
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    Dux you've just made my day! Out of interest what model formats can we import into the engine?
    I think I remember a blog post saying they were using (or supporting?) the valve .mdl format. Not that it really matters though, as long as you've built it in max/maya there will either be, or UWE will provide (yes, you will max ;) ) exporter plugins.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Oh man, exciting news. Can't wait to get my hands on this thing.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How much will UWE be paying for these user made maps?

I'm sure it won't be a lot.
    That's yet to be decided
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1735284:date=Nov 1 2009, 10:55 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Nov 1 2009, 10:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735284"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How much will UWE be paying for these user made maps?

I'm sure it won't be a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends I think.
    They can't release a map from the community as it is since they will probably see many things that does not go up to their standard (yet to be seen however) and will have to rework it at least graphically.
    So what remains? Well the basic level layout and establishing a theme, which not exactly an easy thing to do either but it's going to be a lot of ideas going around in the community about the possibilities (or exploits) with the grid-system that they haven't thought of themselves.
    So if I were them I would probably be more interested in seeing good gameplay in a map and new ideas, buy it from them (cheap-esque, not many of us getting the toolset will be professionals so its only reasonable) and then raise the quality on it for retail.

If it's a map done by a pro with everything in it at satisfactory level and good leveldesign then that might be another question...
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    Will there be remakes of some of the old maps? I'll be missing tanith and eclipse.
  • SlunkWranglerSlunkWrangler Join Date: 2009-06-09 Member: 67765Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I would like to try my hand at mapping.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what an NS map should be like? Like what are some elements that make a map GOOD.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735288:date=Nov 1 2009, 10:16 AM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Nov 1 2009, 10:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Depends I think.
    They can't release a map from the community as it is since they will probably see many things that does not go up to their standard (yet to be seen however) and will have to rework it at least graphically.
    So what remains? Well the basic level layout and establishing a theme, which not exactly an easy thing to do either but it's going to be a lot of ideas going around in the community about the possibilities (or exploits) with the grid-system that they haven't thought of themselves.
    So if I were them I would probably be more interested in seeing good gameplay in a map and new ideas, buy it from them (cheap-esque, not many of us getting the toolset will be professionals so its only reasonable) and then raise the quality on it for retail.

If it's a map done by a pro with everything in it at satisfactory level and good leveldesign then that might be another question...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They only have one full time mapper though, so I wouldn't expect them to want to spend time reworking the maps (though I'm sure they will give feedback/suggestions for the original mapper to work on if the map is looking pretty good)

There are a lot of talented mappers around here, and I expect some very interesting community maps will pop up during the alpha/beta
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    The NS1 maps were basically all community made, remember that too.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735228:date=Nov 1 2009, 04:48 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Nov 1 2009, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only things you need to worry about is using expensive lighting and dynamic items, really. I mean, sure, if you were to make a massive room with detail and special effects coming out of the ass you'd probably have some computers struggle. But the point is the engine does its own occlusion culling so there's not really much optimization to do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wouldn't it possible for each map to have minimum system requirements if the performance difference between any two maps could become noticeably big enough?
    <!--quoteo(post=1735300:date=Nov 1 2009, 12:23 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Nov 1 2009, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They only have one full time mapper though, so I wouldn't expect them to want to spend time reworking the maps (though I'm sure they will give feedback/suggestions for the original mapper to work on if the map is looking pretty good)

There are a lot of talented mappers around here, and I expect some very interesting community maps will pop up during the alpha/beta<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, true... true. I kind of forgot that there was just one mapper ^^;
    I hope this kind of behaviour will be encouraged in the future by UWE too, I have always been amazed at the games out there that have such good community packs and additions that are never used to its fullest extent.

One thing that makes my head itch a bit is how are we supposed to make maps for them? If we are to make maps right away then we'd need guidelines in a designdocument, but have they really gotten that far without any real playtesting done on the idea itself?
    A complete design document will be released with the tools for easy to follow instructions on how to create maps for NS2.

And no, there wouldn't be system requirements for each map. The engine is capable of scaling itself to your system. What I was getting at if someone was careless in their construction of the map and not to think about performance hitting entities and so forth.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    If they released the editor with the intention of having us attempt to make maps you would have to assume there would be a design document with it. Otherwise I guess we would just be given it to familiarize ourselves with.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735310:date=Nov 1 2009, 05:51 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Nov 1 2009, 05:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A complete design document will be released with the tools for easy to follow instructions on how to create maps for NS2.

And no, there wouldn't be system requirements for each map. The engine is capable of scaling itself to your system. What I was getting at if someone was careless in their construction of the map and not to think about performance hitting entities and so forth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's good to know, it's exciting having first public access to this new (and awesome looking) engine.

I wonder, how easy would it be able to handle small scripted events, such as dynamic lights flashing in a sequence or various machinery moving? When I think of the type of ships in NS I think Alien, the kinda ships that had lights in the vents.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Probably a stupid question, but will the map maker simulate the effects of dynamic infestation on the map?
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I think a lot of questions will be answered once the tools are released, there's no point going in to an amazing amount of depths of the ins and outs right now. That's what we shall explore soon :)
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735284:date=Nov 1 2009, 11:55 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Nov 1 2009, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735284"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How much will UWE be paying for these user made maps?

I'm sure it won't be a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it doesn't matter, if you make a map and its good you get paid and you will have worked on a shipped game. That is huge. Shipped work is worth a lot more than the whatever money they would get.
    <!--quoteo(post=1735327:date=Nov 1 2009, 07:59 PM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Nov 1 2009, 07:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it doesn't matter, if you make a map and its good you get paid and you will have worked on a shipped game. That is huge. Shipped work is worth a lot more than the whatever money they would get.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

epic, epic, epic /sign
    This is only applicable if you actually want to work in the games industry though.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1735341:date=Nov 1 2009, 03:11 PM:name=marks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marks @ Nov 1 2009, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is only applicable if you actually want to work in the games industry though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it can go much larger than that. It comes to show you can professionally undertake a design project, good for any creative field.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735327:date=Nov 1 2009, 06:59 PM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Nov 1 2009, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it doesn't matter, if you make a map and its good you get paid and you will have worked on a shipped game. That is huge. Shipped work is worth a lot more than the whatever money they would get.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That has essentially been my dream for the last two years. I would pay UWE to include my map if it was up to scratch, well technically I already did buy the preorder so I'd leave it a 'have it for free'. Just to be able to say your work was included in a commercial release is value beyond money for me.

Than again I'm practically addicted to mapping. I'm sure a few here know how that feels.