Unmoddable version of NS 2 ?

ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
<div class="IPBDescription">AKA want to play on pure NS 2 servers.</div>Modding is nice and everything but I tend to prefer to stick with the proper versions of most FPS games, or the mod must be a total conversion (like CS , DOD and NS was to the HL Deathmatch).

I was wondering if there would be a manner to search for unmodded NS 2 servers, a manner to ensure no client side LUA mods were in effect (auto reload tweaks, etc etc).

I am not saying dont allow mods, just allow an option for those who prefer not to have mods , like lerk lift ( really , lerk picks up marine drops him in a pit ... marine can do nothing while being carried.).

All those mods and scripts players are using to make the engine test more fun made me a tad bit worried about the state of the servers, and how many will be vanilla Flayra intended NS 2 classic mode.

Comments

• rutixrutix Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58208Members
    The devs said that the released version of the game would have pure filter but i wonder how they are gonna implement that since they also said its great that the community can fix bugs but if you do fix bug then it isnt pure anymore :P
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2010
    Pure is easy, just check that the client has all its files the same as when the game shipped, if any are different, it's not pure and they can't connect.

Put mods in a mod folder and load them on top of the basic game, thus keeping the original for when you want to play pure, and the modified versions for when you don't.

I would expect that very few NS2 servers would be exactly the same as the original, because a thousand people all working to mod the game will obviously produce something more fun than half a dozen guys working to build a game from scratch, simple man-hours will see to that. But I would also expect that the servers would remain fairly close to NS2 because this is after all an NS forum, and people who are on it like NS and want to play NS.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    Pure will be a server side thing, not a client side thing.

And yes, they specifically said that you will be able to flag for pure servers.

If there will be any? I dono, but I suspect so, especially at launch. After that I expect to see the more popular mods being hard to avoid, though that depends on what a 'mod' will be. If we are seeing server admin tools implemented as lua mods, than it is going to be a problem finding 'pure' servers (I would count servers with admin tools as pure).
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    How else would you implement admin tools, if not in Lua?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1766868:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:35 AM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Apr 14 2010, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How else would you implement admin tools, if not in Lua?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    buggered if I know, you're the smart one here who is (or was) making admin tools.

The statement was really "I assume admin tools will be done in LUA thus finding 'pure' servers will probably be a pita".

however the other possibility I was thinking of was something along the lines of metamod which (iirc) is more of a hook than something actually designed within the HL engine.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    We may need something similar to metamod (The current mod system leaves a lot to be desired.. there's no way to load multiple mods at once, aside from editing files), but that's going to depend on what the final game looks like.

But yea, admin tools and pure servers really won't get along too well. I can't come up with any good solution to that, except for using some type of crypto signature to let certain mod developers release mods that work on pure servers.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    The problem here is that there will be mods that do not change the gameplay experience but do enhance the game, for example admin tools and bug fixes. These types of mods shouldn't disqualify a server from being a "pure" server, but the only way to do that would be for UWE to basically have an approval process.

If you leave it to the server operators to indicate if they are pure or not they will all lie as we have seen in TF2.

This also will cause problems because I know for example TGNS had several server specific mods. They were for admin tools, supporter bonuses, and stuff like that, but they did not change the gameplay experience from what I would call a 'pure' game. Such mods would also push a server into what is going to be a very messy 'mod' tab in the console.
    You didn't have a choice except to lie in TF2.. Your choices were run no admin mods at all, making the server unusable, or appear on the custom tab and get no players.

Having a separate tab for mod servers is a mistake. We learned that in TF2, I hope it's not repeated in NS2.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    The community will most likely create admin lua mods that become a staple amongst all major servers, and then beyond that you will have the following:

Pro-mod: Competetive mod
    Fun-mod: Goofy additions meant for more comical values on the servers
    Accessory-mod: Additions of things that add non-balance damaging features
    Other-mod: Whatever crazy people come up with

Idealy you're going to have your server admin's name their servers according to what mods they are running so people can connect to servers that state what lua mods are active.

But the above is inevitable, and like TF2, it's good to find a server or two you enjoy playing on and sticking to that environment if you want consistency. Like Nano-Gridlick of old.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited April 2010
    One thing is that I'd like the to have pure servers, but pure servers might still need some non-gameplay-changing mods (like Amxmodx admin features) without being dropped to "random modded" -category. -- Oh wait, devicenull said it already.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem here is that there will be mods that do not change the gameplay experience but do enhance the game, for example admin tools and bug fixes. These types of mods shouldn't disqualify a server from being a "pure" server, but the only way to do that would be for UWE to basically have an approval process.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree but on last sentence: not necessarily. In NS1/AMXX-system this would be possible by limiting the functions and libraries the mods could use. With the new LUA interface, this'll be a lot more complicated.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We may need something similar to metamod (The current mod system leaves a lot to be desired.. there's no way to load multiple mods at once, aside from editing files), but that's going to depend on what the final game looks like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Weird since Max said <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106746&hl=" target="_blank">opposite</a> but I'm not sure if zip/pak-system is in-place yet? You can use directories.txt though. However either of this'll require some kind of AMXX-type of interface mod because now several mods wanting to make changes to say Player -class cannot do it.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    I really hope they do put in filters. I tried to play NS after a year or so and the only nonbot server left seems to be bad, which required me to sit through five minutes of downloading a bunch of crappy music files for no reason at all. Then it redirected me to their other server without my consent. I just gave up trying.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    You'll be able to filter available servers by whether or not they have any mods installed.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What's also nice is that there won't be such a big mod flood in the server list because of supply and demand.

There surely will be a "NS2 Enhanced" mod that tweaks simple game elements and adds some tool's but every other little self-made-tweak will sink between the Big Mods. After the first days or weeks you will easily recognize what is what.

And i'm sure that the Dev's will put in a filter option to search for servers that have those mods you like, also if their just little hacks.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1766872:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:52 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Apr 14 2010, 11:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem here is that there will be mods that do not change the gameplay experience but do enhance the game, for example admin tools and bug fixes. These types of mods shouldn't disqualify a server from being a "pure" server, but the only way to do that would be for UWE to basically have an approval process.

If you leave it to the server operators to indicate if they are pure or not they will all lie as we have seen in TF2.

This also will cause problems because I know for example TGNS had several server specific mods. They were for admin tools, supporter bonuses, and stuff like that, but they did not change the gameplay experience from what I would call a 'pure' game. Such mods would also push a server into what is going to be a very messy 'mod' tab in the console.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All the more reason that a "pure" mode is 100% pointless.

If we look at NS1, the servers say "classic" but they all run modifications that do change the game mode. For example: scripts that let you choose if you which to play co, siege, or ns... and then the countless scripts that prevent unbalanced teams... Gorge mines... Custom maps (pure concentrated evil).

So yes a real PURE mode would prevent a server from running ANY custom map AND "harmless" script that "doesn't" affect gameplay. That means if the game lacks some admin feature... to bad you won't be getting your admin abuse quota for the day (i.e. you won't be able to slap players (if it's not a built-in-"pure"-NS2-feature... stuff like that).

=================

If a player joins a server, we could just give them the option of what scripts they want running. Meaning if they don't want the admin-abuse-script-version-1.0 running, then they just disable it client side. This would permit a "Pure" server to still run custom scripts, but it's up to the player what they wish to accept.

Stupid? yep.

Alternative? No such thing as a "pure" server. Not for NS2 anyway... a game where it takes 3 seconds to mod a lua file to give everyone 99 round rifles (not saying it's a bad thing... just example that the game is so moddable that <u>"pure" is obselete!</u>)
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yes don't worry - the default will be to play on "vanilla" NS2 servers. If you like you can switch to "custom" and play on modded servers, but we haven't worked this long and hard only to see no one play OUR game! :)
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2010
    The Dev's will surely see in which direction the modding is going and will update the vanilla NS version with useful scripts and content, made or suggested by the community. We don't know how it will handled exactly but we know our UWE Staff.

/Good to know Flayra!
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Thats good to know.

I am not against mods at all but some can get really silly and you cant trust every server to accurately describe what thier server has or hasnt.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I'm also hoping they don't force clients to download audio files from the server, one of the most annoying things about games like CS is joining a server just to find it has 50 audio files it wants you to download.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1766934:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:34 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Apr 14 2010, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm also hoping they don't force clients to download audio files from the server, one of the most annoying things about games like CS is joining a server just to find it has 50 audio files it wants you to download.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if i run into a server that makes me download quake sounds I'm gonna scream
    <!--quoteo(post=1766934:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:34 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Apr 14 2010, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm also hoping they don't force clients to download audio files from the server, one of the most annoying things about games like CS is joining a server just to find it has 50 audio files it wants you to download.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    cl_downloadfilter nosounds
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1766917:date=Apr 14 2010, 09:12 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Apr 14 2010, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes don't worry - the default will be to play on "vanilla" NS2 servers. If you like you can switch to "custom" and play on modded servers, but we haven't worked this long and hard only to see no one play OUR game! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's dangerous waters, assuming that means you'll directly separate "vanilla" from "custom".

Team Fortress 2 had this for a while, and it was outright disastrous: people would simply fake their server info to get on the more common "vanilla" tab. Hell, today, with the tag system, some still do.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1766917:date=Apr 14 2010, 12:12 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Apr 14 2010, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes don't worry - the default will be to play on "vanilla" NS2 servers. If you like you can switch to "custom" and play on modded servers, but we haven't worked this long and hard only to see no one play OUR game! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it wasn't a crime against nature, I'd have your children.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    yea we all know ns2 will turn out to have crappy reg and unbalanced gameplay with freaking mods like sporemine, xmenu, gorge hook and stuff..

lol

but there will be vanilla servers for sure, if not I'm gonna buy and make one with freaking good ping and reg.. unless the game happens to be bad but i doubt it. hehe
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1766917:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:12 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Apr 14 2010, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes don't worry - the default will be to play on "vanilla" NS2 servers. If you like you can switch to "custom" and play on modded servers, but we haven't worked this long and hard only to see no one play OUR game! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully, by "vanilla," he is also including servers with mods that do not affect gameplay, like admin mods, map voting mods, etc. Else we might, as others have mentioned, run into some of the problems TF2 has.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well I hope that UWE will add must-have admin tools to the core game - hell, just shoot an e-mail to any Lua modder and they'd be thrilled to have their work made official for free. UWE would be crazy not to take advantage of that resource to compensate for their small dev team.

That aside it would be nice if there was something like an isolated Lua package set aside for interface tweaks that would be permittable in vanilla servers. So check to see that it follows a strict interface that prevents it from changing the gameplay if the server is going to be vanilla, and then let people do whatever they want with it.
  • analogyanalogy Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71339Members
    Steamworks means that UWE can push updates into the wild as often as they want. If someone writes a genuinely useful feature like an admin mod, it would be pretty trivial for UWE to merge it into vanilla NS2 and push it out so that people can get the benefits without being relegated to the custom tab. For this to work legally, however, the NS2 Lua code would have to be covered under some sort of GPL-style license forcing modders to license their code back to UWE.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767028:date=Apr 15 2010, 12:11 AM:name=analogy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (analogy @ Apr 15 2010, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Steamworks means that UWE can push updates into the wild as often as they want. If someone writes a genuinely useful feature like an admin mod, it would be pretty trivial for UWE to merge it into vanilla NS2 and push it out so that people can get the benefits without being relegated to the custom tab. For this to work legally, however, the NS2 Lua code would have to be covered under some sort of GPL-style license forcing modders to license their code back to UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is actually a vital question either way. Is the lua code released with the game under any specific license? Do we have to release our code under a certain license?
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    I don't see what the problem is, it can operate just like sv_pure did in NS1: simply mark a set of files/functions as "pure" and no changes can be made to them. With a good modular design it is possible to separate "admin" functions from gameplay functions and changes to the former never need be seen as modded.

As for licensing, I'd assume all derivative works belong to UWE.
  • ClinkClink Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67728Members
    "Ugly Betty's Vanilla NS2 Server"

/connect
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1766955:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:48 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Apr 14 2010, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's dangerous waters, assuming that means you'll directly separate "vanilla" from "custom".

Team Fortress 2 had this for a while, and it was outright disastrous: people would simply fake their server info to get on the more common "vanilla" tab. Hell, today, with the tag system, some still do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't agree. You suggest it's dangerous only because servers could cheat the system.

I certainly want a way to discern whether a server is using any customized lua... although I would prefer if there was also a way to determine if there was any LUA that changed gameplay as compared to administrative or stats lua functions that don't interfere with play.

Really, you should find a few servers to build a relationship with and make friends you play with often on those same trusted servers. It was like this with NS1, I played on a few servers that used extensive custom mods/maps and a few servers for vanilla gameplay. I knew and trusted the admins on these servers. Your connection with a community will trump any flagging system. I don't really understand how people can engage in a social medium and not form lasting relationships with those they game with.