Unmoddable version of NS 2 ?

13»

Comments

• DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    edited April 2010
    accidental doublepost... oops
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768002:date=Apr 20 2010, 11:36 AM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Apr 20 2010, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Given this taxonomy, I'm not entirely sure it is necessary to differentiate between classic and vanilla, however it is good to have a differentiation here. My only issue is that in order for this to be an effective determination is if the individual servers can ONLY put up flags if they fit the guidelines. I do wish to clarify that in no way is this a gradient of 'good' vs 'bad' or 'pure' vs 'tainted'. In fact I strongly suspect (and will enjoy) how a few months into release custom servers will probably account for half of the total list.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes i realize the "classic" and "vanilla" seem almost redundant. I would say that "vanilla" is what a clan-server might run for a competition. It represents guaranteed stock clients and guaranteed stock server (within the limits of how trustworthy that guarantee is of course :P). Without the "Vanilla" tag, the server can (through control over the "Pure" tags) actually have some custom server stuff... i.e. run a custom game-mode, or custom-maps, and still have control over the clients.

"Classic" is like a more casual gamers version of "Vanilla"... this is the experience you encounter in NS1 "Classic" servers where the server is just running stock maps, but you may use custom models to replace all weapons, props, characters etc.

To further clarify, for the people that think custom models = HAX!!!1, they can play on "Vanilla" servers. For the people that want to play "Classic" NS (i.e. NO minimods), then you play on a "Classic" server, and you can (if you wish... run some custom client modifications... custom models, like in NS1 classic servers).

<!--quoteo(post=1768002:date=Apr 20 2010, 11:36 AM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Apr 20 2010, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My only issue is that in order for this to be an effective determination is if the individual servers can ONLY put up flags if they fit the guidelines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. I was hoping that the server would self-classify itself and set the tags automatically based on how it was configured. Obviously this is all for nothing if the server owner can cheat the system.

<!--quoteo(post=1768002:date=Apr 20 2010, 11:36 AM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Apr 20 2010, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do wish to clarify that in no way is this a gradient of 'good' vs 'bad' or 'pure' vs 'tainted'. In fact I strongly suspect (and will enjoy) how a few months into release custom servers will probably account for half of the total list.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welcome to the club! Their's still people on this forum that think "pure" = no-hacks, and custom... (i.e. the lack of "pure") = "zomg pink skulk textures" i.e. hacker server!!1 xD