NS2 Progress

Comments

• culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    I'm always interested in new DI development. I can only imagine what this bubbling up gameplay task is about. Could it be a tweak to the surface spreading function to even out spatial transitions up the walls, etc. Is it an actual mesh-growth that grows out a thin veneer or DI.

I'm really interested to see any new work on DIs gameplay. It's one of my favorites of the NS2 features.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelection2HD#p/u/1/IcAF1zYGUdk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelecti...u/1/IcAF1zYGUdk</a>

New DI looks much better! I'm really hoping to play 168 soon!

The DI still looks a bit weird with the straight edge stopping a short distance up a wall. The vertical (er horizontal?) edges need to get some variations to look more organic.

Natural selection 2 keeps evolving =)
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1877736:date=Oct 2 2011, 02:29 AM:name=culprit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (culprit @ Oct 2 2011, 02:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelection2HD#p/u/1/IcAF1zYGUdk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelecti...u/1/IcAF1zYGUdk</a>

New DI looks much better! I'm really hoping to play 168 soon!

The DI still looks a bit weird with the straight edge stopping a short distance up a wall. The vertical (er horizontal?) edges need to get some variations to look more organic.

Natural selection 2 keeps evolving =)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah it is kinda ugly when the DI is going up a wall.. they're definitely going to be working on that. Tip for the vertical/horizontal if you get confused with it, Horizontal (looking into the horizon) vertical, up and down. =)
  • HapikaHapika Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 112913Members
    I am dissapointed. After 1 and half month only bug fixes and cosmetic changes?
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877754:date=Oct 2 2011, 02:54 PM:name=Hapika)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hapika @ Oct 2 2011, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am dissapointed. After 1 and half month only bug fixes and cosmetic changes?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe because they where one coder ??? We'll good news, now they are two coders :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1877756:date=Oct 2 2011, 02:17 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Oct 2 2011, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe because they where one coder ??? We'll good news, now they are two coders :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok but with this speed NS2 1.0 will happen only 2012 november.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1877754:date=Oct 2 2011, 01:54 PM:name=Hapika)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hapika @ Oct 2 2011, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am dissapointed. After 1 and half month only bug fixes and cosmetic changes?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You make that stuff sound easy and unimportant. But bugs such as the black screen bug, and game crashes, are very important to the playing experience and have been keeping people from playing 185. The time to figure out what was causing some of these big bugs, so that they could be fixed can take longer then adding in a new feature. And there is not much point releasing a new patch with fun new features if everyone is still getting the black screen bugs, crashing out of the game, and dealing with any number of other frustrating bugs, which we have fixed in 186, which keep players from playing a patch.

--Cory
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited October 2011
    good post :)

I just saw NS2HD video and THANK GOD there are medpack icons / weapon change icons ... yeah .. great job !!!
    This small thinks makes from garage game the A-A title worth to play :)

and also new infestation looks promissing ... just need to figure out better mapping for non-planar vertices :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1877781:date=Oct 2 2011, 05:23 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 2 2011, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You make that stuff sound easy and unimportant. But bugs such as the black screen bug, and game crashes, are very important to the playing experience and have been keeping people from playing 185. The time to figure out what was causing some of these big bugs, so that they could be fixed can take longer then adding in a new feature. And there is not much point releasing a new patch with fun new features if everyone is still getting the black screen bugs, crashing out of the game, and dealing with any number of other frustrating bugs, which we have fixed in 186, which keep players from playing a patch.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the ansver, i hope you are right and there will be much more player on the servers.
    It makes sense to get a nice solid build out this time. It will give the devs more freedom to work on new systems and features while we all get to have some fun with a more polished release. I like to think of how you use scaffolding to build a sturdy wall. There has to be a skeleton of solid game functions for NS2 to be playable and fun. But that skeleton, once polished a bit, can really allow for new gameplay features to be added in and tweaked over time. It's looking like the next build is going to be great- a nicely functioning slice of tier-2 features with a bare minimum of cosmetic polish.

I'm really itching to get some game-time with it.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'd like to say to people, finding bugs, testing and making repo steps, then submitting and then finally tracking down the faulty code and fixing them, take a vast amount of time and collaboration between the playtesters and the devs.

There are 90+ bugs fixed in 186. If it takes 4 weeks since 185 for 186 to be released, that's a minimum of 22.5 bugs/week found by playtesters, repoduced, fixed by the devs and then tested and confirmed working by the playtesters for the patch. Or 4.5 a day. That's a hell of a lot for such a small team, and I'd like to thank all the playtesters and the devs who have done an outstanding job with this.
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1877833:date=Oct 3 2011, 01:47 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Oct 3 2011, 01:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to say to people, finding bugs, testing and making repo steps, then submitting and then finally tracking down the faulty code and fixing them, take a vast amount of time and collaboration between the playtesters and the devs.

There are 90+ bugs fixed in 186. If it takes 4 weeks since 185 for 186 to be released, that's a minimum of 22.5 bugs/week found by playtesters, repoduced, fixed by the devs and then tested and confirmed working by the playtesters for the patch. Or 4.5 a day. That's a hell of a lot for such a small team, and I'd like to thank all the playtesters and the devs who have done an outstanding job with this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very well said.

Look on the bright side, with so so so many bugs being fixed for 186, what excuse do the devs have for NOT adding new content in 187? Silver lining and all that!
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1877880:date=Oct 3 2011, 01:42 PM:name=Cygone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cygone @ Oct 3 2011, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Very well said.

Look on the bright side, with so so so many bugs being fixed for 186, what excuse do the devs have for NOT adding new content in 187? Silver lining and all that!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If they really fixed all bugs, they need to add new content in 187 (technical or gameplay) or they won't be 187. But I don't think new gameplay content (Onos, Shift or Exo) will be pushed out in the public Build till the Cup is over. But maybe we will see new OC-System, new Maps, transparence, auto download, admin tools and I don't know what that is also needed to be done. And we know they started work on the onos and we also know onos, jp and exo will be released in the same build and I would bet on 188 to be the one!
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whoohoo only 1 Gameplay Task open:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Started
    [B186] Cysts can be dropped but unconnected<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But does it really need to be fixed? Sound more like a feature than a bug ;-) .
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gameplay task [186] Invulnerable Marine with 0/0 hp transitioned from Started to Delivered

awww.. is this referring to the setting player hp to negative so that when they take damage they won't go above 0 and won't die? :(
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1877965:date=Oct 3 2011, 05:44 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Oct 3 2011, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gameplay task [186] Invulnerable Marine with 0/0 hp transitioned from Started to Delivered

awww.. is this referring to the setting player hp to negative so that when they take damage they won't go above 0 and won't die? :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, it is not. I find it to be a relatively strange bug. But pretty much you do certain things, and you'll be at 100hp, aliens attack and you go down to 0/0. You can still kill aliens, but they can't kill you. It's neat.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    So no tweets, changes in the progress page all day?
    I am assuming that you are taking care of interviewing people who applied?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1878055:date=Oct 4 2011, 03:52 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Oct 4 2011, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So no tweets, changes in the progress page all day?
    I am assuming that you are taking care of interviewing people who applied?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When they don't have time to update the site/tweets, you can know they are working on more important things.
    I just realized I posted in the wrong topic, it was ment to go in the "feedback on tweets" topic, anyway when UWE go silent you know great things are happening.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878055:date=Oct 4 2011, 07:52 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Oct 4 2011, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So no tweets, changes in the progress page all day?
    I am assuming that you are taking care of interviewing people who applied?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Guys, you need to stop using the progress page and twitter as a sign of whether we are working or not :) Some bigger tasks, for example, take more time, so you won't see them popping up as started/accepted etc. necessarily every day on the progress page. Trust us, everyone here is busy working on the patch and making progress with the patch and with the game in general.

--Cory
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    lol but not knowing stuff is murder!
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    and you know, as its a while.. we are tunned to see ... and know ... when ? when? when ? :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1878065:date=Oct 4 2011, 09:30 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 4 2011, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys, you need to stop using the progress page and twitter as a sign of whether we are working or not :) Some bigger tasks, for example, take more time, so you won't see them popping up as started/accepted etc. necessarily every day on the progress page. Trust us, everyone here is busy working on the patch and making progress with the patch and with the game in general.

I mean no disrespect I guess I was a little curious about the applicants and what is going on on that front.

Allso Cory I was checking out some of the art made by Edmund McMillen that he shared on twitter the other day and I really enjoyed it and I was wondering if you could do something similer? anything that you can share ofcourse I understand that there are some hush hush stuff that you might not want to share at this point, maybe even stuff that got scratched/old art or even not NS2 related I would really love to see that.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1878065:date=Oct 4 2011, 09:30 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 4 2011, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys, you need to stop using the progress page and twitter as a sign of whether we are working or not :) Some bigger tasks, for example, take more time, so you won't see them popping up as started/accepted etc. necessarily every day on the progress page. Trust us, everyone here is busy working on the patch and making progress with the patch and with the game in general.

He's lying, I am looking through their window right now and Bryan is pretending to drop Hydras on his keyboard... oh no, wait, wait a minute. He's eating his lunch.
    I just wan't to say thank you to the whole UWE devteam, playtesters and the E-Team doing a great job on build 186! It was worth the 6 weeks of fixing and testing all over again and the videos that have been done bringing some fun and action ti people that can not play 185!

Good job guys!
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Yeah, awesome build. Performance is so much better now :)
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Bunch of new stuff in the design log that warrants attention.
    <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrBsO0m0Z4ilq0YsDEHJLQhBa6RrIjJIsckL2kE/edit?hl=en&authkey=CLCo8Z0J#" target="_blank">https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrB...thkey=CLCo8Z0J#</a>
    Anyone got any ideas on that alien dominance?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1879330:date=Oct 11 2011, 08:12 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 11 2011, 08:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bunch of new stuff in the design log that warrants attention.
    <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrBsO0m0Z4ilq0YsDEHJLQhBa6RrIjJIsckL2kE/edit?hl=en&authkey=CLCo8Z0J#" target="_blank">https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrB...thkey=CLCo8Z0J#</a>
    Anyone got any ideas on that alien dominance?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Join the discussion in this thread. :)
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113258&view=findpost&p=1879221" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1879221</a>
    I just found out that NS2 will have achievements.
    <a href="http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_games" target="_blank">http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_games</a>

So I am wondering what those will be :-).
  • BakerCoBakerCo Join Date: 2008-07-12 Member: 64610Members
    anyone else notice this small bug?
    the assault rifle anims quit playing after you melee until you fire again....
    just wanting to know if i am the only one experiencing this small bug?