armory design

lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
current armory design, you walk up to the armory large window with large icons show up, and your whole screen is taken up by this. Your whole screen is somewhat blue, and takes away your character movement. Only way to leave this during the attack, moving left or right quickly - you have no weapon control, and movement is gone during this process.

armory window/icons has to be re-sized, make them smaller and take up your whole screen. If not this, the armory window has to be changed where player has his movement if someone attacks him, where can quickly respond. Being locked into this armory window while something attacks you, really isn't so good.

I took screen shot of the armory window for those who don't have ns2 to see my point.
<a href="http://img404.imageshack.us/i/35111467.jpg" target="_blank">http://img404.imageshack.us/i/35111467.jpg</a>

you will notice I can't use my weapon, and my movement is locked in while I'm buying weapons. It shouldn't be like this.

Comments

• CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    I think it should be like that. You have to take the risk of immobilization and "blindness" when trying to buy a weapon. It makes sense as a gameplay element.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If a marine was walking up to a computer terminal, surrendering his own weapon, and obtaining a new one, he would have his hands busy the whole time.

As you sit typing your post out, are you able to see behind your computer's desk, or hold a large two-handed firearm in a ready-to-shoot position?
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited January 2011
    <strike>I would prefer if when you walked up to an armory that you received ammo and health <u>without</u> displaying a gui (like the aliens have when in the presence of a hive or crag).</strike>

<strike>And IF you wanted to upgrade then you would press the "E" key to display the buy-menu (same concept as the "evolve" key for aliens).</strike>

And at any time you could press the "Escape" key to close the gui, in addition to the current method of walking away.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    deleted because i thought i was wrong, but i wasn't... too lazy to write it again...
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll admit I'd also like to see a "use" key required before the player surrenders their mouselook. The automatic refills are fine, but it's annoying to try to walk past the armory and tadaa what's essentially a huge pop-up ad fills the screen :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1824769:date=Jan 16 2011, 03:19 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Jan 16 2011, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824769"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll admit I'd also like to see a "use" key required before the player surrenders their mouselook. The automatic refills are fine, but it's annoying to try to walk past the armory and tadaa what's essentially a huge pop-up ad fills the screen :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It does require the use key and the window never does automatically open like that.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    You only need to face the armory to gain health and ammo , and like Camron says you only need to press use to buy weapons.
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1824763:date=Jan 16 2011, 09:25 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 16 2011, 09:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would prefer if when you walked up to an armory that you received ammo and health <u>without</u> displaying a gui (like the aliens have when in the presence of a hive or crag).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's the way the armory works.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    current armory is perfectly fine and logical.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    How the armoury works:

Stand next to and facing it to gain health and ammo.

Press your 'use' key to purchase weapons.

The only issue I have with the armoury, is the size of it. When you want an armoury up front to support the troops, you end up sticking it as close to the wall as possible. Space becomes tight at best, especially in corridors with turrets. It looks a little messy, a little clumsy perhaps.

It would be nice to see a one sided version that sticks to the wall that can be used nearer to the front lines, the downside being you can't upgrade it to an advanced armoury perhaps.

So when you select the armoury, when you hover your mouse close to a wall it changes model to the mobile version.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I only dislike the menu design; it looks cartoony. I want to see the screen shown on the armory model pop up when you use the armory.
  • smokeybeefsmokeybeef Join Date: 2004-11-16 Member: 32821Members, Constellation
    Is the current design in Flash? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if it changed when they move it to LUA.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Hm. The only thing about the armory I find confusing is: Why display the pistol, rifle and switch-ax? Ok, the rifle, if you want to (for some odd reason) buy a rifle instead of whatever upgrade you have. I secretly wish, in the lonely hours of inter-planetary transit, that it means we will be able to buy items for all slots. But I know full well that UWE has said that they would keep the weapon count down.
    Having full weapon slots reduces team play.

If you limit players by saying.

# You can only destroy structures
    # You can only destroy aliens
    # There needs to be two of you to effectively take down a Fade

It means they have to work together. L4D2 is a very good example of this - leaving team mates behind is a big no no.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    But the player mortality rate is much lower in L4D2 than any other competitive FPS.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1824763:date=Jan 16 2011, 03:25 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 16 2011, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would prefer if when you walked up to an armory that you received ammo and health <u>without</u> displaying a gui (like the aliens have when in the presence of a hive or crag).

And IF you wanted to upgrade then you would press the "E" key to display the buy-menu (same concept as the "evolve" key for aliens).

And at any time you could press the "Escape" key to close the gui, in addition to the current method of walking away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you can already do this. just tap the reload key when facing the armory.
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    There should be keyboard shortcuts for buying the weapons and exiting the GUI. Or the GUI could close when the weapon is bought rather than stay on even after you've walked couple meters away from it. I could deal with the whole screen blocking menu if there'd be a quick way to get it off my face.
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1824825:date=Jan 16 2011, 07:06 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Jan 16 2011, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you can already do this. just tap the reload key when facing the armory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

really? neato! I'll take back some of my rant then.

Edit: I'll take back my back taking. It didn't close with reload button :I
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1824824:date=Jan 16 2011, 05:04 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 16 2011, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But the player mortality rate is much lower in L4D2 than any other competitive FPS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That doesn't make a difference, the fact is that the statement is true.

The problem with making everything accessible is that it will make things harder to balance.

Usually you approach a situation in NS2, and the outcome will be decided on a few factors. You understand this as aliens and marines.

I.e You know a Shotgun is best against Fades, so you are likely to die if you just have an LMG.

or

You know a Flamethrower will kill an amateur Fade, where as someone more experienced will kill you. Or you get a third possibility - it runs away to heal up.

If you had everything available to you, how would you balance the game? It would be very hard and based solely upon speed and weapon switching. Becoming closer to something like Quake3 and requiring a lot less thought.

The most satisfying thing about multiplayer is the ability to work as a team to beat an opponent. Tactically you can work towards different outcomes, and play on each others weaknesses. Currently I think the game is lacking this aspect somewhat.

This is why the Flamethrower is so unbalanced at the moment, because it has the strengths of every weapon available - countering it is very difficult.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    The difference is that players are much, much more expendable in NS, so you can't compare it with L4D. My biggest problem is with this idea of limitations, really. I want to be free. I'm not saying I want a do-it-all weapon. But I don't want to be forced into relying on someone else.

How did this become a discussion about this anyway? I thought this thread was about the Armoury GUI.

Also, I lol'd at FocusedWolf's post because that's exactly how it works already :S
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1824828:date=Jan 16 2011, 12:13 PM:name=uffo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (uffo @ Jan 16 2011, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->really? neato! I'll take back some of my rant then.

Edit: I'll take back my back taking. It didn't close with reload button :I<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no, don't open it. just walk up to the armory, face it, tap 'r'

it fills your health and armor, then your current weapon's ammo.

only open it if you want a gun.
  • KuriinKuriin Join Date: 2011-01-08 Member: 76761Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824763:date=Jan 16 2011, 12:25 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 16 2011, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would prefer if when you walked up to an armory that you received ammo and health <u>without</u> displaying a gui (like the aliens have when in the presence of a hive or crag).

And IF you wanted to upgrade then you would press the "E" key to display the buy-menu (same concept as the "evolve" key for aliens).

And at any time you could press the "Escape" key to close the gui, in addition to the current method of walking away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait, what? Are you saying it should be like a crag where it's pulsating health? Please elaborate. I'm confused.
    <!--quoteo(post=1824853:date=Jan 16 2011, 12:36 PM:name=Kuriin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kuriin @ Jan 16 2011, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait, what? Are you saying it should be like a crag where it's pulsating health? Please elaborate. I'm confused.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, he's saying it should heal passively without having to press E to use it first and get a GUI. It already does do this and I guess he didn't know.
  • KuriinKuriin Join Date: 2011-01-08 Member: 76761Members
    Yeah. All you have to do is just stand right next to it. The only DOWNSIDE is that you have to actually face it. But, I think this just makes it so you don't camp an armory and get free ammo and health.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1824797:date=Jan 16 2011, 01:58 PM:name=Silverwing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverwing @ Jan 16 2011, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm. The only thing about the armory I find confusing is: Why display the pistol, rifle and switch-ax?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe those weapon icons are there in order to select them and buy upgrades for them, but those upgrades haven't been implemented yet, and I'm not sure what the current plan for that is.
    <!--quoteo(post=1824787:date=Jan 16 2011, 01:37 PM:name=smokeybeef)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smokeybeef @ Jan 16 2011, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824787"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the current design in Flash? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if it changed when they move it to LUA.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, it is in flash. When it gets redone in LUA there will probably be another look at the design side, as well.
    <!--quoteo(post=1824827:date=Jan 16 2011, 05:11 PM:name=uffo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (uffo @ Jan 16 2011, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There should be keyboard shortcuts for buying the weapons and exiting the GUI.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sure keyboad shortcuts will be implemented at some point, and we've discussed making escape key quickly exit the buy menu window.

-Cory
  • doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...and we've discussed making escape key quickly exit the buy menu window.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. I always hit Esc even though I know it doesn't work.
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    I also think that showing the GUI on the armoury model (or, better yet, as a holographic display that comes out of the armoury) would be a lot better, and have it controlled like in Doom 3. It would be super-slick feeling.
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    Aliens need to gestate to evolve into a different life form, leaving them very vulnerable during this time.

balanced
    edited January 2011
    nevermind this post
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited January 2011
    Only thing I don't like about the armory is that I have to look at it to restock ammo.

I keep wanting to just stand next to it and have it give me stuff, that feels right.

But on the other hand I entirely get why it doesn't work like that, because sitting next to it and tanking with it would kinda suck.

<!--quoteo(post=1824866:date=Jan 16 2011, 07:49 PM:name=Skiddywinks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skiddywinks @ Jan 16 2011, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also think that showing the GUI on the armoury model (or, better yet, as a holographic display that comes out of the armoury) would be a lot better, and have it controlled like in Doom 3. It would be super-slick feeling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really, doom3 is excellent for immersion but very bad for actual useability. it doesn't control as fluently as a proper menu.

On the other hand though, I suppose the ability to just press backwards and get out of the armory would be nice, if you're needed urgently it's kind of annoying to be stuck in the menu.

<!--quoteo(post=1824869:date=Jan 16 2011, 08:21 PM:name=neilm86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neilm86 @ Jan 16 2011, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens need to gestate to evolve into a different life form, leaving them very vulnerable during this time.

balanced<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Although no alien with a brain would do that in the open. I always climb into the roofspace to do that.