Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 176 Released

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 176 Released here

Comments

• Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    good stuff, fun times imminent
  • mobettamobetta Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72693Banned
    aliens are so oped
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    recently I had some good matches in the build 175
    downloading for more fun on 176
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    NS2 Build 176 Released...

•Fixed bug where the background in the Editor was black.... lol

Thanks... :)
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    New rockdown map is pretty neat. Although I think the new area is too dark. Even the marine flashlight isn't bright enough. Marines can also fall under the grate and be stuck in the abyss below.
  • SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Game doesn't seem to open for me since this update :(
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    Everything is arranged in the browser prop editor, now even generates white views behind

Awesome!

Thank you very very much !!!! :-)
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Yet another build that I cannot test due to averaging below 15 FPS. Thanks!
  • kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Yeah i think it's pointless with most of these update's where u just download and download file's and that's it u can't do anything with it due to the fps issue. It's better if u guys stop releasing this update's and focus on big patch update's only.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1843902:date=May 3 2011, 08:55 PM:name=PoNeH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PoNeH @ May 3 2011, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yet another build that I cannot test due to averaging below 15 FPS. Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What are your system specs?
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    BIG problems with MACs/drifters. They won't build 60% of the time now. Sometimes they get stuck randomly and cannot move or die the rest of the game.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    feels something missing from skulks, whether it them being they move too slow to theres no air accell. but leaping in straight lines to avoid a shotgun bullet just doesn't work too well. And it feels like you cant leap very high vertically, cant get on most roofs with out running up the wall. Barely able to catch a marine sucks with out a predictable leap.

Just played a game where 3 marines where in the alien base with shotguns and commander just spammed health and ammo and they just won the game, killing every egg/skulks that spawned.

Feel so slow as a skulk compared to marines, all the speed upgrades aren't added yet, but it gets a bit ridiculous when 4 aliens are being insta raped by 3 marines in their own hive room.

Also from the skulk POV you feel much smaller then what you actually are, im hiding in a corner and marine spots me instantly shotgun DEAD.

being a Commander is boring as hell and no one really wants to do it. seems like that anyway.

/rant i know its only beta, but hell, it shouldn't be so frustrating .sorry but this game just pissed me off from playing.
  • JinPTJinPT Join Date: 2011-03-08 Member: 85212Members
    edited May 2011
    I think there's a bug with the report tool. My game crashed, then I clicked submit to send the log, but the tool got stuck in the window that says "Sending report...", and nothing seems to be happening.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    Ther should be a
    "Fixed Editor black screen"

YEAHHHH! Finally someone checks editor codes
  • wackoisgodwackoisgod Join Date: 2011-04-08 Member: 91478Members, Retired Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1843909:date=May 4 2011, 05:08 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ May 4 2011, 05:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843909"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BIG problems with MACs/drifters. They won't build 60% of the time now. Sometimes they get stuck randomly and cannot move or die the rest of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

when you say wont build do you mean then you give them an order to build they don't ? Or they start building and its not actually doing anything ?
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Fabulous patch but then i have missed a couple ...because of work.

I like the additions to rockdown.
    rather than drop it off the list it looks like you are upgrading it.
    Yet another performance boost it seems...keep em coming...it has more people playing.

I am still seeing the basic problem that as a game progresses the lag increases.
    I don't know if it is a people or stuff problem.
    I saw this on a couple servers.

I had a thought on discouraging turtling by marines or aliens (more common for marines)
    Increase the resource rate GREATLY per each tech point...drop it back down when they lose it.
    In fact SHOW the commander and the troops their rate upgrade relative to tech points.
    Maybe this will bind them closer together...MONEY for weapons/aliens
    Only the team holding the most tech points should be filled with fades and laser flame swords.
    This is hurting the end game really bad.
    It seems like you can do all the work to strip them of their occupancy but to topple them is painful and slow.
    It makes sense the first wave would be armed to the teeth...but following that.

I am having fun though...great to be back...keep the performance jumps coming.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Had a drifter get stuck right before building a harvester and never was able to get that res node back.

And the command chair was locking out players upon startup of a new round. Invisible wall kept pushing people out of the center of the chair.
  • kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    CPU: i7 920
    GPU: GTX 295 OC
    RAM: 6gbDDR
    HDD:500 VelociRaptor hard drive Steam game's +NS2
    FPS 15- 28
    Max settings
    Fps Drops down to 11 when near hive's etc./?\
  • SoulzzSoulzz Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71597Members
    I was playing on the LinuxMonster server and getting about 40 FPS average, with dips down to the 30s every now and then. The next server I went to was a similar experience, but a lot more choppy.
    yeah i would say max is on the right track on getting this issue fixed but on the way there are endless bug's coming i just seen medpack and ammo pack stack up as a tower and u can bite them away as skulk....
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great patch!

Hopefully Max sees this, but I'm still getting that armory error I mentioned awhile back whenever I try using it in random intervals. I was on a server, lots of infestation everywhere, was clearing it for maybe a good 5-10 mins along with hydras and whatnot, I die to a skulk, respawn, use the armory, and BAM, crash. My mouse cursor will appear in game, have to alt tab, and experience a similar issue someone else pointed out where I can't submit my log file about the problem. But yeah from time to time, I always get crashes on the armory. A bit frustrating.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Game was going smooth untill around 30 minute in then Server Performance dropped like mad and the console started spitting out:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Snapshot buffer overflow (too many entities are relevant to client)<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • RigorRigor Join Date: 2011-02-05 Member: 80545Members
    Flamethrower was playing the pistol sound and a bullet impact animation would play where I was aiming, then the spot would ignite in flames
    Flamethrower reload is bugged; animation terminates early and I can never tell when/if it reloaded or when/if I'm out of fuel
    Marine arms/weapon disappears; buying new weapons, switching weapons does not fix
    Hive mind "alerts" are still not accurate...entire hive can go down without so much as a warning
    One server had a bugged marine CS that required a reboot to address
    Skulk movement was altered somehow, though I cannot put my finger on it, something is amiss

Otherwise looking good so far, though most of the servers that got patched early were of poor quality and ran into tick issues. I will wait to see how Team 156 West behaves.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    Is the updated ns2_rockdown, the map referred to as ns2_rockdown2, or is that an even bigger one?

Also, the new part of ns2_rockdown, Gully Pass North, is a very long "hallway", which seems a bit unfair towards aliens. It also has a resource nozzle at the end, making it very easy for the marines to snipe down an alien extractor.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Drifters / Macs get stuck don't build (these things are more effort then they are worth ditch them imho)

Once a few power-nodes are dead the game is just way to red need more variation in lighting maybe aliens structures can create more light?

I'm finding it quiet hard to bite as a skulk

Something is causing lots of server lag again maybe flame throwers..
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please fix the hydra spam in some way. If you don't tech instantly you get forced into a corner till you run out of resources and lose.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1843930:date=May 4 2011, 12:40 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ May 4 2011, 12:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please fix the hydra spam in some way. If you don't tech instantly you get forced into a corner till you run out of resources and lose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You basically have to go shotty and weed out the Hydras early on. Though, it is pretty time consuming dealing with Hydras using Rifle and Pistol with that small hitbox.
  • FlawlessFlawless Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96806Members
    edited May 2011
    Okay so I don't have any idea how much of this is new to 176 but I've played about 20 or so 175 games and never had it and played one 176 game and got it so I'm posting here for now,

Joined the only server that had people on it which was already quite far into the game, and after eventually pushing closer to the base (with flamethrowers which no doubt added fuel to the fire) which was covered in hydras, and the lag got so bad that if you were in the same room as the hydras you would get a black screen, STILL playing and shooting, but would have a totally black screen till you managed to maneuver your way out blindfolded.

Then to try and alleviate that hecticness I tried joining my usual server which was empty and was repeatedly disconnected at the "authentication failed" stage, is that because the server is still running 175 or a new issue?

Hoping to try a REAL game on 176 soon, cause I'm pretty sure that it was sheer bad luck that happened to be my first game after the update.

+1 For hydra Limit!! maybe they should cost something like 10 Res or 10% of you current resources which ever is greater?? that would mean saving up and "Dumping" wouldn't be quite so OP. Just an alternative cause it feels less controlling than a "cap".

Okay after playing rockdown again the lag problem was waaay clearer, No hydras no flamethrowers, same place. Its where the "added part" joins onto the old map where the aliens first extension harverster is, crazy unexplained lag almost everytime I run through there (which would've been exasperated by the flames and hydras first time around)
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    You know, it's quite funny..
    Few patches ago, hydra building was a problem, since it slowed down the server too much, and everybody was like "fix the hydras, we can't use them". Now they can be used, and it turns around "Fix the hydras, they are everywhere!"
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    the hydras are not the problem anymore. It seems like the infestation patches cause performance problems for the server. Why? thats yet to be found out (fire up your profilers and search for a reason :) )