Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 176 Released

124»

Comments

• KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1844767:date=May 8 2011, 02:34 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ May 8 2011, 02:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At a minimum, there needs to be a hydra cap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or inreased cost (~20-40) + bigger hitbox (so you dont have to aim pixel perfect) + more health/dmg/atkspeed whatever to compensate.

=> less hydras, but more powerfull + you care that it stays alive
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1844767:date=May 8 2011, 10:34 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ May 8 2011, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At a minimum, there needs to be a hydra cap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Map-wide hard caps tend to feel arbitrary. There needs to be an intuitive ingame mechanic limiting the over-use of hydras.

For example, if the personal resource system is rebalanced to the point where each hydra is a significant investment, gorges will have to make each hydra count.

Alternatively, if Hydras have difficulty shooting past each other, then putting too many of them too close together creates a diminishing returns effect where they remain vulnerable to AoE weapons like flamers and 'nades, but don't have the damage output you'd expect from that quantity of hydras (I suspect this is already occuring... I don't tend to find 5 hydras in a small corridor any more or less threatening than 2 of them in the same space).
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    A Personal Hydra Cap would not feel any more arbitrary than an ammo count. Each Gorge can only place X Hydras, and placing any beyond that destroy the next oldest Hydra.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Yeah I don't have any issue with a personal hydra cap, honestly I think it'd be better, especially if you give each hydra a bit of a buff to compensate. It turns it from 'spam them everywhere' to 'how can I place my dozen or so hydras best to make them most effective'.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    5-10 hydras per gorge sounds like a good idea to me.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    Or you change the way how aliens respawn - so you have to choose which lifeform you want - this makes it possible that hydras would go away if you change "class".

(or with a 1-2min time window after spawn, to go back gorge befor hydras start to die)

Edit: On 2nd thought, bad idea since it costs pres. You would need to remove cost and make a cap.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    There is also the fact that as an alien commander you can't recycle structure when you need it. Already seen few games where all harvesters were blown by TSA and you can't recycle something to get new one so all the alien gameplay is blocked.

As the alien got organic gameplay, they should get partial refund of organic materials they decide to destroy and so they can build harvester by "recycling" hive/crag/whip.. etc.. if needed.

We still have very big issues with the ghost players as well and the tools to eject a failing com' is not really "user friendly". The old NS menu was a lot better.
    Not sure it is working as you can vote eject yourself and others players but not the real com !
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you build a harvester and it gets killed, then you resend a drifter to build a new one sometimes the drifter will be block into the ressource point but not building. And that sometimes happen when building elsewere on the map.

So you have invincible ghosted drifter all around the map.

These invincible ghost also apply to Marines that crashed and appear with 0 ping bug.

Hi hope you're at least reading the comments of your own news on your own website..

Since this new builds the "hydras" tactics spread to lots of game.. but as you are only testing the game in private session with wise range of gamers i suppose you don't even know how this can be a pain.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm opposed to an individual hydra cap unless properly indicated on the HUD somewhere(at the very least as gorge, with the hydra selected), so you know how many you have left to place.
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1844754:date=May 7 2011, 07:34 PM:name=Paul-Hewson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paul-Hewson @ May 7 2011, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tonight i've seen a better strategy than all others.. make unlimited hydra until you reach marines base.. nice work UWE<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hydra abuse reminds me a lot of NS1 OT abuse (which was capped).

The big difference I see is that once the marines get grenades in NS2, hydras become nothing more then score board points.

But I have to admit after I have been alien commander for 10 mins and hop outta the hive as gorge, I normally toss up 10+ hydras in short order any where I want.

I wouldn't mind seeing a cap, but I think the ability to take down hydras you have placed, would be needed as well.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know I posted in awhile back in the thread, but I really want to make sure that the armory memory leak bug gets squashed. Been happening to me for like the last 5 or so patches...
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1844719:date=May 7 2011, 01:13 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ May 7 2011, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anyone still getting the directx crashing error after a few minutes? havent played since 17* came out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you try deleting your local files and redownloading the game? It helped me out. Verifying the files came out fine, but I still crashed after 5-10 minutes of play.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I played last night and had the black screen problem. Tonight no problem. When as a skulk I went from bite to parasite and couldn't go back. As a lurk I went from spike to gas and couldn't go back. The only way was to die or spawn back and start over.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    It'd be interesting if hydras, when near a gorge, followed the gorge's spit and focus-fired on that target; otherwise, just sort and prioritise targets as it is now.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1844779:date=May 8 2011, 12:09 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 8 2011, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Care to provide system specs and log files? Otherwise we cant help you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Game has been ridiculously jumpy since the start of the alpha. I don't even bother trying to load it up anymore. Sure it is 'playable' if you mean walk around while freezing/jumping every 1-2 seconds. Have no problems with any other games that I play. Fairly certain I am not alone on this...

i5-750
    gtx470
    8gig ram
    win7 64bit
    120 gig SSD

I don't even really care anyway as it was only 40 dollars so if the game is never any good I am not going to cry or anything. I know there is no magical fix for this as the devs have stated many times... Quite happy to play the waiting game. I played NS from release onwards and it was a great game so I have at least a bit of faith ns2 will come good... eventually.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845057:date=May 9 2011, 12:16 PM:name=ctd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctd @ May 9 2011, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Game has been ridiculously jumpy since the start of the alpha. I don't even bother trying to load it up anymore. Sure it is 'playable' if you mean walk around while freezing/jumping every 1-2 seconds. Have no problems with any other games that I play. Fairly certain I am not alone on this...

i5-750
    gtx470
    8gig ram
    win7 64bit
    120 gig SSD

I don't even really care anyway as it was only 40 dollars so if the game is never any good I am not going to cry or anything. I know there is no magical fix for this as the devs have stated many times... Quite happy to play the waiting game. I played NS from release onwards and it was a great game so I have at least a bit of faith ns2 will come good... eventually.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think some of the newer hardware is actually having more issues than midrange older stuff. I'm running on an old dual core e8400 with an 8800GT on win7 64-bit, and the game runs at a silky-smooth 35-45 FPS in just about every situation. Network lag can cause things to sometimes "feel" slower, but actual performance is rock-solid.

Basically just take comfort in the fact that there isn't some sort of technical limitation causing your issues, there just seems to be some hardware compatibility problems with really new hardware for some reason.
    edited May 2011
    Doors should unlock when the local power node is destroy.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845202:date=May 10 2011, 02:12 AM:name=Paul-Hewson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paul-Hewson @ May 10 2011, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doors should unlock when the local power node is destroy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah. Infestation can't be far behind with a power node gone, and it'll break door locks in the future.
    Hive infestation should have a max range to infest. Like the power node providing power to a precise area. That should prevent the infestation to infest marines base very quickly, and when you kill a hive it will clear the area of enemy structure..
    Because actually all hives can be easily linked with infestation, so when one die the infestation don't die because it is linked to another one. The flamethrower isn't enough powerful for infestation and little bit overpowered against aliens.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I agree, and with the pustule system in development, the Alien Commander won't be able to establish infestation presence near Marine start in the early game.

Once flamethrower trailing effects get implemented, it won't be the death sword of wall-ignoring fury. It'll be good vs. pustules though, as it can light several of them up simultaneously.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845203:date=May 10 2011, 05:16 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ May 10 2011, 05:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nah. Infestation can't be far behind with a power node gone, and it'll break door locks in the future.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Untrue. Infestation growth is constrained by the Commander's will, Energy levels, the timer to create an additional pustule from the current pustule, among other things. Alien ground units can take out Power Nodes anywhere and are only inhibited by opposing forces in the area. I agree with Hewson; it would be an effective Tier 1 solution to locked doors, that would also give credence to welding doors.
    New bug : grenade do damage through doors (when closed of course)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1845067:date=May 9 2011, 11:16 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ May 9 2011, 11:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think some of the newer hardware is actually having more issues than midrange older stuff. I'm running on an old dual core e8400 with an 8800GT on win7 64-bit, and the game runs at a silky-smooth 35-45 FPS in just about every situation. Network lag can cause things to sometimes "feel" slower, but actual performance is rock-solid.

Basically just take comfort in the fact that there isn't some sort of technical limitation causing your issues, there just seems to be some hardware compatibility problems with really new hardware for some reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really. I suspect what he was talking about is the lagginess from low server tick rate rather than low FPS. His system is probably getting 40-60fps on average, so when the server rate drops into the single digits, its really noticeable. The moral of the story is that for most current NS2 beta players, the server is the performance bottleneck and theres really nothing you can do expect wait for UWE to improve it.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845202:date=May 10 2011, 09:12 AM:name=Paul-Hewson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paul-Hewson @ May 10 2011, 09:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doors should unlock when the local power node is destroy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aliens already get infestation and Onos for dealing with doors. Instead, I think that a door should become uncontrollable when it is without power, so that the commander can't unlock it and marines can't go through
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1845314:date=May 10 2011, 10:26 PM:name=Paul-Hewson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paul-Hewson @ May 10 2011, 10:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845314"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New bug : grenade do damage through doors (when closed of course)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And lerk spikes go through doors :P
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    After I play as commander a lot of the alerts on the right side of the screen continue to show up until I exit the game ><

Really bugs me I cant see anything covered by those annoying popups