Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 177 Released

Comments

• vlncvlnc Join Date: 2010-09-07 Member: 73921Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    Since 177, i can see new messages in the hlds console. (or maybe i haven't seen them before)

WARNING! UNHEALABLE TARGETS FOUND! {class "Harvester",class "Whip"}
    WARNING! UNHEALABLE TARGETS FOUND! {class "Hive",class "Egg",class "Egg"}
    WARNING! UNHEALABLE TARGETS FOUND! {class "Hive",class "Egg"}
    WARNING! UNHEALABLE TARGETS FOUND! {class "Harvester"}
    WARNING! UNHEALABLE TARGETS FOUND! {class "Skulk",class "Harvester"}
    ScriptActor:GetAttachPointOrigin(scan, target): Attach point not found.
    Scan:GetAttachPointIndex(target): model is nil

That doesn't crash the serv.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1845454:date=May 11 2011, 06:18 PM:name=Pathdrc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pathdrc @ May 11 2011, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that marines need to research welders and then pick one up from the armory, before being able to fix nodes. Maybe even have the welder take up a gun slot - like replace pistol or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes! Bring back the welder!!!
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    Yea, haven`t played for a while. This was the most smooth game-experience so far. Still not what it should be, but ok for my rack.

Some impressions.

<ul><li>repairing a power node by pressing "e" works real fast (to fast?)</li><li>once i would auto move uncontrollable in one direction. ended after 2 minutes... no idea why</li><li>once my hand-with-gun-animation vanished. crosshair was there, though. shooting worked as well</li><li>new map extensions look good. Though in the games i played, it was mostly a trench war without much movement</li><li>gameplay still gets boring pretty fast... stalemate, endless butchering without a decisive strike, players leaving a team, unbalanced "victory" in the end</li></ul>anyway, <!--coloro:#ffff00--><span style="color:#ffff00"><!--/coloro-->i feel reconfidented that they will release a playable product end of this year....<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845373:date=May 11 2011, 01:58 AM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ May 11 2011, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ummm

is it just me or is the build footage a million times smoother than anything seen before?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 applied motion blur to the video. It looks amazing.

When performance gets better, UWE should put it in to the actual game. It really helps the atmosphere.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845487:date=May 11 2011, 10:06 PM:name=FuzionMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuzionMonkey @ May 11 2011, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 applied motion blur to the video. It looks amazing.

When performance gets better, UWE should put it in to the actual game. It really helps the atmosphere.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually it could be implemented already, just make a toggle for it in the settings.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    You might be able to force it from videocard settings and still get playable fps, if we're still mostly limited by CPU.
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845491:date=May 11 2011, 03:19 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ May 11 2011, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually it could be implemented already, just make a toggle for it in the settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It really would be a poor use of Max's time at this point. But you're right. I know Max said he would get around to putting in Anti-aliasing and other post-processing at some point.
    <!--quoteo(post=1845504:date=May 11 2011, 10:40 PM:name=FuzionMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuzionMonkey @ May 11 2011, 10:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It really would be a poor use of Max's time at this point. But you're right. I know Max said he would get around to putting in Anti-aliasing and other post-processing at some point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, it would be silly to put focus on eyecandy when the game is in its current state :p
    My point tho, was that the client would be able to handle it at this point while still spitting out a reasonable framerate.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I played slightly jittery on a server as a skulk... I evolved to Lerk.. I jittered everywhere. I got lag-killed. I could now play jittery as a skulk. Great.
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    THATS IT! with this patch it officially is completely playable performance wise!!!! Had a 5v5 game with tons of SGs and Hydras and NO slow down!!

Bring on the content!!!! :D :D :D
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    Had lots of fun games, and nearly every game took 1h+ and ended with aliens winning or a "draw" back and forth* until everybody leaves because server perfomance goes a bit down after 2-3hs and without an end in sight. (1231323423 structures(80% of this hydras) and di everywhere)

*kill hives, have them rebuild instantly - take a 2nd base, lose 2nd base, kill another hive, build a new 2nd base... whole map covered in di and no way to really get rid off it to make a breath.

In the end marines are kinda trapped, but can stay alive forever with good players.

PS: Skulks are still crappy. :(
    (Dunno if its the speed, the bite range, a missing minislow after a bite, or the wallwalking sticky madness.)
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah, in long games I find marines spending half their time flaming DI that instantly rebuilds rather than fighting real aliens. DI should only be able to be placed when the power node is destroyed (but doesn't die automatically if power is restored).
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    played a full 1hour long game 9v9 sometimes ever more!!

games defo getting there but there are still a lot of fps and lag optomisations required.

Also, i feel once marines get phase, exo, rail, motion tracking etc etc etc they will be completely overpowering mid/late game. should be interesting tho

lots of fun

keep it up
    <!--quoteo(post=1845565:date=May 12 2011, 01:57 AM:name=neilm86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neilm86 @ May 12 2011, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->played a full 1hour long game 9v9 sometimes ever more!!

games defo getting there but there are still a lot of fps and lag optomisations required.

Also, i feel once marines get phase, exo, rail, motion tracking etc etc etc they will be completely overpowering mid/late game. should be interesting tho

lots of fun

keep it up<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, you do realize the Khaara has counterparts for those things?
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1845564:date=May 11 2011, 07:19 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ May 11 2011, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845564"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, in long games I find marines spending half their time flaming DI that instantly rebuilds rather than fighting real aliens. DI should only be able to be placed when the power node is destroyed (but doesn't die automatically if power is restored).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pustules man, Pustules. Wave of the future.
  • jeffcojeffco Join Date: 2011-02-14 Member: 81785Members
    best patch evar..!

i played quite a few matches and it really starts to make fun. but there are still some technical issues that destroy the experience entirely:
    - ghost players on a server (they seem to corrupt the readyroom team balancing mechanism, leaving a server unusable)
    - trying to walk trough a wall with an unrooted whip seems to harm the server. (the whip disappears, the lag appears)
    - performance and lags in general
    - getting flamethrowered through a wall

and some minor issues that caught my attention:
    - geometries in the collision system are way to complex. i do not understand how it is possible to stuck in a vent on a cable or a tiny edge. such things should not even be modeled (for game experience and for performance reasons)
    - getting blocked by friendly players or structures. except solid marine structures these objects should only influence not block the perceived motion of a player. (just like in team fortress 2)
    - sometimes in commander mode temporary notifications (gui elements) stay on the screen forever

keep up the good work!
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1845584:date=May 11 2011, 10:20 PM:name=jeffco)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffco @ May 11 2011, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- getting blocked by friendly players or structures. except solid marine structures these objects should only influence not block the perceived motion of a player. (just like in team fortress 2)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There was a post about this last year, describing how TF2s player collision works. I was super impressed, and definitely think it should be implemented here.
  • memnoch666devilmemnoch666devil Join Date: 2003-06-10 Member: 17174Members
    I was playing a game this morning and noticed that. Me and another person where Skulks in a vent both going in different directions and there was no was for us to pass each other.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    But with tf2 style collision you can't stack teams.

Literally.
  • SeraphaceSeraphace Join Date: 2011-04-26 Member: 95644Members
    2x in a row, after game ends, black screen stays and have to alt f4 to restart. Have good specs and up to date drivers, shouldn't be me.
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    Played a large amount today.
    Very smooth, I noticed almost no lag at all for most of the games.
    At one point, Difters didn't want to work for some reason, fixed it self a few mins later.. weird?
    Bunny hopping marines seem to allow them to survive skulks for extended periods of time, even 3 v 1 skulks had a helluva time killing a lone hopping marine.

Overall, best playable state to date.
  • memnoch666devilmemnoch666devil Join Date: 2003-06-10 Member: 17174Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845627:date=May 12 2011, 02:19 AM:name=Majin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Majin @ May 12 2011, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At one point, Difters didn't want to work for some reason, fixed it self a few mins later.. weird?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I noticed this too. It looks like they raise up above what you are trying to build so they are to high to build that object.
  • wackoisgodwackoisgod Join Date: 2011-04-08 Member: 91478Members, Retired Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1845630:date=May 12 2011, 07:29 AM:name=memnoch666devil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (memnoch666devil @ May 12 2011, 07:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I noticed this too. It looks like they raise up above what you are trying to build so they are to high to build that object.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

is this when building harvesters or hives ?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    best patch as of yet!
    smoothest client side experience ive have since day one. easily.
    killing skulks just became skill based and very possible now. well done.
    the one thing the video shows off negatively is the rubber banding / teleporting / skipping of players relating to lag or netcode etc.

good job guys and thanks. lots of fun to play
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845631:date=May 12 2011, 12:59 AM:name=wackoisgod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wackoisgod @ May 12 2011, 12:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->is this when building harvesters or hives ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not just those. Whips and Crags, too. It seems the Drifter experiences a fail placement and just flies up a bit.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1845645:date=May 12 2011, 04:14 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ May 12 2011, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not just those. Whips and Crags, too. It seems the Drifter experiences a fail placement and just flies up a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had this a few times also. You can also make drifters/Macs spaz-out by making them go to their own heads, they either fly off the map, or have a disco.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1845645:date=May 12 2011, 11:14 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ May 12 2011, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not just those. Whips and Crags, too. It seems the Drifter experiences a fail placement and just flies up a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This happens to me when I send a Mac to weld one of the power nodes in my map.
    Probably some higher geometry involved that "catches" the click to weld/build before it reaches the floor?!
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845553:date=May 12 2011, 01:58 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ May 12 2011, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PS: Skulks are still crappy. :(
    (Dunno if its the speed, the bite range, a missing minislow after a bite, or the wallwalking sticky madness.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please try to reproduce and maybe upvote these for UWE to become aware of them and investigate them themselves:
    <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/_176_melee_attacks_blocked_by_props" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...locked_by_props</a>
    <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/_176_skulk_hit_registration_seems_broken_against_bouncing_marines" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...ouncing_marines</a> (see my comment on it)
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited May 2011
    A few things i think need improving...

<ul><li>Dynamic infestation should be easier to kill the further away it is from an alien structure/hive.</li><li>Dynamic infestation should not be able to randomly appear in marine base by magic.</li><li>Dynamic infestation has no obvious visual sign you're killing it, like how effective you are or how long it might take.</li><li>The sparks produced by fixing cause big fps drops, especially on power nodes.</li><li>Grenades act weird with unrealistic/unpredictable behaviour, sometimes they bounce off invisible walls in front of you.</li><li>The main menu and server browser could do with a few small but useful improvements, also if it's still using flash then it's time to stop.</li><li>Please give us the ability to download maps on connection to a server, you don't have to allow mods just yet, simply having more maps would be cool.</li></ul>
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Game was quite smooth even playing on a server on other side of the world

My major complaints are:

- really hard to kill marines as a skulk
    - the new evolve system SUCKS and doesnt make sense to me why would a crag be needed to evolve to gorge? it doesnt seem logical and badly effects gameplay. Aliens r supposed to be versatile and adaptable, its no fun playing them if ur stuck as a skulk which cant even kill marines.
    - marine shotgun is so powerful how can aliens stand a chance against it without things like cloaking and good hit detection
    - flamer is still really lame going through walls and doors catch on fire forever.
    - marines bunny hopping looks ridiculous
    - marine weapons are not much fun
    - infestation doesnt feel alive its more like static puke.