Does anyone else think the Assault Rifle needs to be stronger?

Nex CarnifexNex Carnifex Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76366Members
It just isn't useful enough, even if it's a starting weapon, it should be pretty useful even compared to purchasable weapons, which should be more specialized.

Comments

• KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    It is very usefull, you just have to hit. :P

Skulks, Gorges are relativly easy. Lerks get harder if they fly like crazy, for fades i prefer the Shotgun.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone else think the Assault Rifle needs to be stronger?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No

I love the Assault Rifle.
    I can shoot stuff pretty reliably with it.

It is best used in short bursts...
    I reload it constantly
    and I stroke the stock and sing it songs when we fall asleep next to the command chair.

Maybe you should switch to playing aliens for awhile so you get a handle of the tactics they use.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Most weapons aren't using their initially intended damage types. Currently most everything uses either Normal or Structural (Light and Heavy are nowhere to be found) so there is going to be an imbalance when compared to weapons that should have differing damage types but don't.

The shotgun for instance, uses Normal damage type, yet was designed to use Heavy damage. Once they give all of the weapons their appropriate damage types, you <b>should</b> find that the AR is better suited in some circumstances, not so much in others. This is the way it was intended to be with all weapons.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Once the bugs are ironed out, the rifle is gonna be fine. Or would you rather start with a pistol?
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    Rifle works fine right now, in fact it's pretty on par with how the rifle worked in NS1.

Fire in short bursts when facing skulks up close...don't just spray around. And like everyone else is saying....stop missing.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Rifle is about right. Works great on skulks and gorges, not so great against fades... But if low-tech marines were good against high-tech aliens.... What would be the point of teching up?
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I think once the server performance starts increasing, along with the hit boxes and stuff, it will get better.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    I wish it allowed for more ammo, like at least 6 magazines + 1 in weapon, or boost the ammo per magazine.

Also it would be nice if when you buy a GL attachment that the rifle received some damage or ammo boost.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Starting rifle is fine, if your dissatisfied that your not ranking a huge kill ratio then just remember those skulks that your fighting also deserve to have some fun.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I miss the HMG because I suck at aiming.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1846991:date=May 18 2011, 03:11 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ May 18 2011, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also it would be nice if when you buy a GL attachment that the rifle received some damage or ammo boost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I disagree. The NS1 GL was pretty much just the attachment by itself with no LMG. You had no ability to defend yourself and were extremely dependent on the commander keeping you supplied with ammo. The NS2 version is the equivalent of dual-wielding a NS1 LMG & GL at the same time, making it already insanely more powerful than it ever was in the past.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    On the topic of commander dropping stuff, is there a cool down for medpack / ammo drop downs now?
    Sorry I haven't been able to jump into the command console for a many patches, and can't remember reading about it.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1846995:date=May 18 2011, 01:39 AM:name=Rokiyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rokiyo @ May 18 2011, 01:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree. The NS1 GL was pretty much just the attachment by itself with no LMG. You had no ability to defend yourself and were extremely dependent on the commander keeping you supplied with ammo. <u>The NS2 version is the equivalent of dual-wielding a NS1 LMG & GL at the same time, making it already insanely more powerful than it ever was in the past.</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The NS2 version is nothing like dual-wielding a NS1 "LMG" & GL.

The NS1 GL had 30 extra grenades and could spam-fire 4 shots quickly before a reload was needed.

The NS2 GL was correct when it could explode on any surface, and right now it is unpleasant whenever i'm forced to use it for some niche situation that requires i not travel with a competent weapon such as a shotgun or flamethrower. I'm usually dead before i can run out of the limited GL ammo, due to how defenseless a marine is with a rifle.
    edited May 2011
    Ok, so you have a problem with the NS2 implementation of grenades, then why are you asking for a buff to the attached assault rifle? The low ammo capacity and unreliable aiming are very valid concerns, ones that I hadn't fully considered when I originally responded. That being said, I do believe the NS2 grenades are more powerful than their NS1 counterparts, so perhaps having them spam fire as quickly without also reducing their damage per shot might be imbalanced.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1846994:date=May 18 2011, 05:27 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ May 18 2011, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I miss the HMG because I suck at aiming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A little bird told me that the E.X.O suit will have Dual SMG. If this is true; will you be happy?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    would still be cool to see more ammo for the rifle. in NS1 it felt just fine
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    isn't the ammo and damage the same as in ns1?
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847020:date=May 18 2011, 11:48 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ May 18 2011, 11:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->isn't the ammo and damage the same as in ns1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I remember it right, you had like 3 clips of rifle ammo from the beginning and were able to pick up a ton of extra ammo (8 clips?). However it took long to pick up all the ammo. Because you were usually dead before having the chance to spent all the ammo, it was more useful to pick up 2 or 3 extra clips and then get into the action faster.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    yes, and it slowed you down, the more ammo you had, the slower you where
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1847032:date=May 18 2011, 08:17 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ May 18 2011, 08:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes, and it slowed you down, the more ammo you had, the slower you where<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wut? o_0

I have never seen this in NS1.
    it has been some time i played ns1, but i'm pretty sure it did that, thats why having max ammo on you usually was a bad idea.
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    edited May 2011
    Due to a bug, the gl, flamethrower, and pistol aren't affected by damage upgrades. So once you've teched up, you're really comparing the difference between a level 3 shotgun and level 0 rifle, assuming that you're using the gl-attached version of the rifle. That might be throwing some people off.

<a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/gl_and_flamethrower_arent_affected_by_damage_upgrades" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...damage_upgrades</a>
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited May 2011
    I think the rifle is strong enough as is; but the shotgun is too strong, and the flamethrower is broken in implementation, and the fade has too much health.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Don't make the rifle stronger when the shotgun is very powerful.

I'd like to see marines forced to go at walking speed while firing not running around jumping while firing - that is how the aliens should fight not humans.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited May 2011
    It could do with some damage bonuses againt fades but against skulks it's quite effective. You can kill them with about 2/3rds of a clip if you're good, and that ignores the actually very powerful rifle butt attack.

It's certainly potent for a starting weapon, it only really suffers later on on the game, which you could fix by adding a simple addon you can buy for like 5 res or something which gives it better ammo which works on fades and lerks or something.

I mean functionality wise it is a good late game weapon, because you don't get any better long range weapons so you need to field a couple of rifle guys, it's really only the damage that suffers in the late game, so give it a buyable damage booster and it'll be fine.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Current rifle is fine.

Though, it might be useful to have a lvl3 upgrade you could purchase to give the rifle incendiary or stunning rounds.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    No changes should be done with the rifle, its pretty powerful as it is, if you can aim right. Its your STARTING gun, not a typical late-game gun. It's your last resort if you dont have any resources to get a 'better' gun. Damage for the rifle is fine, increasing it would make marines way too overpowered. Skulks and gorges wouldn't stand a chance..
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Yeah so basically, rifles are fine. Skulks are fine once they fix the attackbox/hitreg or whatever. Fades have too much hp. Shotguns do too much damage. Flamethrowers... should be redone.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1847290:date=May 19 2011, 09:32 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 19 2011, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah so basically, rifles are fine. Skulks are fine once they fix the attackbox/hitreg or whatever. Fades have too much hp. Shotguns do too much damage. Flamethrowers... should be redone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm working on a Mod that, among other things, implements damage types in the way Charlie proposed last year in a blog post.

Light damage will be weak vs. Armor, Heavy damage will be more effective vs. Armor, Normal damage will deal normal damage vs. Armor. The presence of damage types will allow all weapons to have more normalized (less disparate) damage values, but still be more effective against certain units/structures.

More information coming soon (I'd post more, but I'd rather just do it than talk about doing it)...