Does anyone else think the Assault Rifle needs to be stronger?

2»

Comments

• Wandering YouthWandering Youth Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96204Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Does it need to be stronger? Na.

It needs more versatility, maybe.

Perhaps give it a different attack instead of the rifle blunt or remove all the together and combine with a different weapon like the current Grenade Launcher.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Lol don't fire in short burst.

That made me laugh, the gun shoots without recoil and very little spread. Nobody shoots in bursts. Not even in NS1.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1849454:date=Jun 1 2011, 02:23 PM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Jun 1 2011, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol don't fire in short burst.

That made me laugh, the gun shoots without recoil and very little spread. Nobody shoots in bursts. Not even in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only if you have very bad aim. It can be a decent way to save some ammo that would have been in the walls? :D

Edit: If you can't notice, im trolling :P
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1849454:date=Jun 1 2011, 03:23 PM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Jun 1 2011, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol don't fire in short burst.

That made me laugh, the gun shoots without recoil and very little spread. Nobody shoots in bursts. Not even in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes they do but not for that reason.

If your aim goes off, stop shooting, because you're wasting bullets. Aim back at the alien, then start shooting.

Assuming the aliens move erratically and you aren't brilliant at aiming, you're probably going to fire in bursts to avoid running out of ammo before you kill the enemy.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1849601:date=Jun 2 2011, 01:00 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 2 2011, 01:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849601"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes they do but not for that reason.

If your aim goes off, stop shooting, because you're wasting bullets. Aim back at the alien, then start shooting.

Assuming the aliens move erratically and you aren't brilliant at aiming, you're probably going to fire in bursts to avoid running out of ammo before you kill the enemy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The trick is to keep your aim at the alien. :)
    The only reason to stop fireing is if the alien gets out of visual range
    Or, like I said, if you know your aim is off.

If you just start firing as soon as the alien gets near the middle of your screen and don't ever stop, you're probably going to run out of bullets rather fast.
    This is so skill depended that you can't say whats the right thing to do in general. For good players that can keep their aim on the alien, its not a good stategy to stop firing, if the alien moves in another direction and you almost instantly react to it.
  • kai-kai- Join Date: 2011-05-14 Member: 98679Members
    AR definately does not need to be buffed, with increases in FPS and better registration skulks are going to drop.
    I've counted a number of occasions where skulks have died after around 11 bullets just like in NS1

If anything, skulks need to be buffed... they are bigger, slower, can't bunnyhop can't leap as far and don't have air control.
    Coupled with marine sprinting, the only reason skulks aren't getting demolished is because of hit-reg, bad aiming and low FPS
  • Saint RawSaint Raw Join Date: 2011-05-18 Member: 99414Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847032:date=May 18 2011, 12:17 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ May 18 2011, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes, and it slowed you down, the more ammo you had, the slower you where<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm thinking you are confusing this with another game, where it indeed was an important decision.
    NS1 doesn't have 'armory humping' in it's vocabulary for nothing. (I can't remember anything like ammo slowdown, I've played since 1.04.)

<!--quoteo(post=1849612:date=Jun 2 2011, 04:06 PM:name=kai-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kai- @ Jun 2 2011, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AR definately does not need to be buffed, with increases in FPS and better registration skulks are going to drop.
    I've counted a number of occasions where skulks have died after around 11 bullets just like in NS1

If anything, skulks need to be buffed... they are bigger, slower, can't bunnyhop can't leap as far and don't have air control.
    Coupled with marine sprinting, the only reason skulks aren't getting demolished is because of hit-reg, bad aiming and low FPS<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AR = LMG. The LMG is fine. It's not hard to shoot skulks in this build, with even better performance it will be dependent on the skill of the skulk player. Skulks without armor go down with 8-9 shots. (And yes, the HMG or Heavy Machine Rifle has to make a comeback, therefore I prefer LMG)

Skulks have a small hit-reg box attack bite ###### stuff, when this is fixed the skulk will land 1-4 hits close range in mere seconds. Thus bad hit-reg is making skulks weaker, not the decent shooting marine. I only feel hit-reg failing with shotgun as marines.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    I think it's pretty okay atm.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    IIRC there was ammo slowdown in NS1, but it was not really noticeable without cl_showspeed 1.
  • horst2punkt0horst2punkt0 Join Date: 2011-06-03 Member: 102390Members
    edited June 2011
    I think there should be some kind of upgrade like the granade launche to the assault rifle which allows you to stun aliens for a really short time (not more than a second or two). I imagine some kind of beam with limited power (ammo) or something like that. With this ability you would have a chance to get lerks down as you could with nets in NS1 if i recall exactly.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1849723:date=Jun 3 2011, 06:19 AM:name=horst2punkt0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (horst2punkt0 @ Jun 3 2011, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849723"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think there should be some kind of upgrade like the granade launche to the assault rifle which allows you to stun aliens for a really short time (not more than a second or two). I imagine some kind of beam with limited power (ammo) or something like that. With this ability you would have a chance to get lerks down as you could with nets in NS1 if i recall exactly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

stuns are arguably the worst mechanic in games to date. i don't think anyone's sad to see the Onos stun go, or are eager to see a new one be implemented.
    Nets?

NS1 had nets?

Was that like in a late patch or something that I never played?
  • NelerathNelerath Join Date: 2011-05-31 Member: 101808Members
    I've had little success hitting skulks due to some lag issues and the like so I am not sure on the damage of the Assault Rifle. But the rifle does seem to use up its entire clip faster than it did in NS1. I also recall UW commenting that 10 rounds a second seemed fast when they went back to look at the firing rate of the LMG from NS1. So perhaps it actually didn't shoot 10 rounds a second in NS1 and now it actually does? I don't know the balance of it, since I admittedly can't hit anything right now, but it does feel like it unloads a little quicker.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1850050:date=Jun 5 2011, 04:56 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 5 2011, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nets?

NS1 had nets?

Was that like in a late patch or something that I never played?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, must've been a mod.