Onos devour revised

2»

Comments

• KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1858468:date=Jul 6 2011, 09:58 PM:name=Janos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Janos @ Jul 6 2011, 09:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imagine the frustration when you JUST BOUGHT that sexy new HMG, walk out of the marine spawn only to have some Onos wander up to you, use his very dexterous tongue to pinch your gun.. then bugger off down a corridor and all you can do is quietly weep to yourself.
    The original devour was an exceptionally annoying skill, the fact they could just take you, that sexy hmg and jetpack out of the game with one press of the button was something that likely caused more nerd-rages and premature deaths of a mouse and keyboard than every counter-strike wallbang kill combined.

Mind you when the tables were turned and you were doing the devouring.. it was highly satisfactory.. mm om nom..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're reading correctly, but you're also making a large assumption. No one said you'd be snatching a weapon from a Marine's hands.

I was suggesting that DROPPED weapons be Devourable.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858264:date=Jul 6 2011, 05:54 AM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Jul 6 2011, 05:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Change it. Make it devour weapons. If an Onos ran in and snatched up good guns. leaving you with only a pistol and axe, effectivly it's removed you from your impact on the game, but not removed you from the game. The commander could drop you a new gun but it's costly. After a set duration the onos could drop it out. A marines reward for chasing it down. If he is still alive.

Make it that onos can only eat primary weapons.
    Can only hold 2 or 3 weapons in its stomach.
    Drops weapons after time period or dies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do believe it was suggested here.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I think dropped weapons should be killable in general.
  • garthakgarthak Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76073Members
    weapon eating seems more like something a skulk would do, rush in, eat your gun, rush out, but would get really frustraiting really quickly. Devour was one of the reasons NS1 was so awesome, only thing that angered me about it was how they could still eat people wearing heavy armor, made the heavy armor somewhat useless. i like the idea of being able to cut out, or if you have a grenade launcher, to suicide bomb inside the onos, making devour to be used a bit more cautiously. and of couse, make it so they cant eat people in heavy armor, giving it some use.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    I think re-instating Devour is a terrible idea for the aforementioned reasons. Almost as bad as having the rhino grab guns out of peoples hands LOL.

However if it gets added back, the devour'd soldier should be able to fire all of his weapons as long as he is alive inside the rhino, bypassing the rhino's armor stat because its being shot internally.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1857833:date=Jul 3 2011, 10:54 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jul 3 2011, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A marine should be able to suicide-bomb the Onos from inside.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol

if marines are getting nukes, the onos gets a devour. value a jetpack. the right tool for the right situation.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1858717:date=Jul 8 2011, 02:54 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jul 8 2011, 02:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858717"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think dropped weapons should be killable in general.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no put them on a timer. dropped weapons are good for baiting.
  • SomeMiceDrinkingTeaSomeMiceDrinkingTea Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103818Members
    I'v just thought of another terrible idea >:D. What if the Onos had an ability that allowed him to momentarily cheat death, allowing him to do as much damage as possible before inevitably snuffing it. Here's the scenario; the Onos only has a sliver of health left and can't run away; there is really no point in doing so, he's a big target, slow and will just get shot in the ass and die, so what dose he do? He activates an ability that renders him invulnerable for 5-10 seconds and every bit of damage he suffers increases the damage of his own attacks. However his adrenaline dose not recharge and once the ability has worn of, or once his adrenaline is completely depleted, he dies! I just thought it up 5 minutes ago so not alot of thought has gone into it.

Also, this idea of an Onos stealing a marines weapon and running away with it doesn't really feel right with the Onos, it would probably incite alot of nerd rage as well. Perhaps instead of an Onos stealing marine weaponry, the Onos could temporarily reduce the effectiveness of said weaponry through it's stomp attack. I'ts already planed to do this against marine structures so why not weaponry as well, any marines that are too close (the radius of stomp shouldn't be too large anyway) would have their weapon's damage reduced to 80-70 percent for 5-10 seconds. This would be a sexy counter against shotgun toting marines, but useless against ranged weaponry such as, pistols, rifles, GLs, HMGs and the rail rifle (whatever the hell that is?), the idea being that marines with these weapons would keep their distance, though if you were skipping down a corridor and came face to face with a massive hulking mountain of muscle, hardened carapace and sharp teeth, then you would still be inclined to BACK THE #### UP! Shotgun or not! :/
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858855:date=Jul 9 2011, 07:11 AM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Jul 9 2011, 07:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no put them on a timer. dropped weapons are good for baiting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    According to people who have played 180, this just allows marines to lose nothing from dying, since they can just run up to the weapon they dropped and pick it back up. Add RFK to the equation, and marines get progressively more PR without any PR loss.
    So what <b>should</b> the timer be? Maybe it should simply be the respawn time. Once you respawn, weapon gone.

<!--quoteo(post=1858837:date=Jul 9 2011, 06:49 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jul 9 2011, 06:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However if it gets added back, the devour'd soldier should be able to fire all of his weapons as long as he is alive inside the rhino, bypassing the rhino's armor stat because its being shot internally.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's almost as good as my suicide-bomb idea.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    edited July 2011
    If devour is going to be brought back it can't deviate too much from the original NS1 mechanics or will loose its nostalgic flair. If that's the case then there really is no point in bringing it back, just introudce a new replacement for devour which I believe is what UWE was planning to do anyway.

That being said, another way to make the old way of devouring a marine work with balance is this:

If we look at the Onos' model you will noticed it has huge amount of armor on his front end but his rear end seems very unprotected. I can only assume that the Onos will be more resistent to marine fire if facing the marines. If it is made that the onos is weak VS attacks to his exposed side then running away with a devoured marine would prove to be difficult if there are supporting marines firing at it. So in short, stay with your team and the big scary Onos wont come and take you away easily.

Yes, being devoured in NS1 was frustrating but it only happened to those who left themselves exposed (i.e. rambo). In a classic NS1 game I don't remember Onos' being able to devour a heavy and run very far before being killed by supporting marines. The mechanic worked fine in NS1, I'm sure it can be made to work in NS2... or atleast something similar.
  • inFamous FighterinFamous Fighter Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109262Members
    edited July 2011
    I think if you added this, it would be much like the AWP in Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike:Source. It is the love and hate weapon. Some servers restrict it some don't. I think this would be a cool feature to add.

When creating a server, there could be an option of restricting it or adding a mod/plugin to disable this option, since NS2 is likely to allow mods.

I could easily see servers with like a [No Devour] tag in the name server name.
    Dank: Except that you're gonna have 12 onoses on the map at once.