Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 183 released

1235»

Comments

• lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1865762:date=Aug 2 2011, 05:58 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 2 2011, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's like saying "If Aliens get fades, Marines should automatically get Weapons 3 and Armor 3 or Flamethrowers". Umm, no.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

umm yes my friend. that is the whole point. maybe not automatically, it sure will be smart plan unless you plan on countering it other ways.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1865706:date=Aug 2 2011, 01:53 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 2 2011, 01:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io1VR88jT5s" target="_blank">Bug Report - 23-july-2011</a><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro--> - Fade Blink, the voices from the Nether wont stop!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This one is a pain in the ass, makes you want to commit suicide as a fade. It's not very hard to reproduce : blink a bit.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1865766:date=Aug 2 2011, 01:04 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Aug 2 2011, 01:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865766"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->umm yes my friend. that is the whole point. maybe not automatically, it sure will be smart plan unless you plan on countering it other ways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think you get the point. No class should just be GRANTED upgrades/weapons unless they take the time to research and upgrade and acquire them properly. Granting things when they are not earned creates an unfair gaming environment (or an unfair environment in any situation).

If the Alien Commander spent over 100 RES upgrading the Kharaa, a Marine team should not be granted Upgrades and Weaponry just because their Commander is falling behind. It's unfair and just plain silly. Get better at the game and stop expecting perks to be handed to you because you don't know how to work as a team and listen to the player within the Commander role. If your are one of those who is listening, but your team isn't, than thank you. Comms like myself can't be productive unless our marines listen.

If you fail to upgrade and work as a team, you lose. Doesn't matter if your an Alien or a Marine, in a pub or a match. Work as a team, listen to the Commander and it's extremely hard to lose a game.

For instance:
    Last night I played Kharaa twice and Marines twice. I was with some ana. and 2Division guys as well as some other respectable NS2 players (on my team and the opposite). Everyone was working as a team with the Commander and listening to the Commands and Orders he was issuing. We went 4-0 and completely dominated due to team work and skill. This is why Natural Selection (1) wasn't as huge as it could of been, the team work factor. It requires a serious amount of team work unlike most games where you can just run around and kill things in pubs. Natural Selection 2 is no different. Teamwork > All.
  • vsechnechvsechnech Join Date: 2011-07-11 Member: 109757Members
    I've just come to an idea that the game should be easy and balanced at the beginning, then allowing you by many funny ways to change the balance (and possibly win) but later on, as game goes and tech goes up and still no team is able to win,<b> the balance should be more vulnerable to sudden shifts</b>. In that state it would require <b>more team play not to lose</b>.

<b>Unfortunately</b> so far it seems to me that<b> it goes the opposite way</b> -- everybody gets upgrades and defenses and <b>no team is able to overcome the other</b>.

Yes, I confess, I just came from another 2-hour game with very little team play. Aliens did have 3 hives but were unable to defeat marines because they had turrets everywhere.
    I think that when aliens control all the map, they should definitely and easily win. But somehow this is not true so far. And nigher marines are able to defeat the aliens. And there is nowhere to go with upgrades.
    I just feel very frustrated spending 2 hours on a game with no end :-). I get this feeling that there is nothing that I can do in such game. Having 200 personal resources but nothing useful to spend it on.

That's what I wanted to say today :-).
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1865830:date=Aug 2 2011, 05:21 PM:name=vsechnech)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vsechnech @ Aug 2 2011, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've just come to an idea that the game should be easy and balanced at the beginning, then allowing you by many funny ways to change the balance (and possibly win) but later on, as game goes and tech goes up and still no team is able to win,<b> the balance should be more vulnerable to sudden shifts</b>. In that state it would require <b>more team play not to lose</b>.

<b>Unfortunately</b> so far it seems to me that<b> it goes the opposite way</b> -- everybody gets upgrades and defenses and <b>no team is able to overcome the other</b>.

Yes, I confess, I just came from another 2-hour game with very little team play. Aliens did have 3 hives but were unable to defeat marines because they had turrets everywhere.
    I think that when aliens control all the map, they should definitely and easily win. But somehow this is not true so far. And nigher marines are able to defeat the aliens. And there is nowhere to go with upgrades.
    I just feel very frustrated spending 2 hours on a game with no end :-). I get this feeling that there is nothing that I can do in such game. Having 200 personal resources but nothing useful to spend it on.

That's what I wanted to say today :-).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Onos will fix this. Also, a gorge or two would of ended that game with proper use of bile bomb. No one realizes how crucial a gorge actual is in dominating marines.
  • alphzalphz Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69329Members
    Yeah the implementation of onos and heavy will go a long way for beginning to balancing the two sides overall.

As it is I am pretty impressed with game balance as is, mid game before turret or hydra spam it can go either way with each team when they work in a coordinated fashion. The only point is perhaps it is slightly easier for aliens as mid tier happens once they have two hives and marines are pressed to try ensure that happens while aliens have to push marines back within a certain time limit.

tldr;
    -I currently like the balance as is, and further balance will need onos/HA

-Games might favour aliens slightly because of ease of reaching mid tier

-Marines must kill alien expansions, aliens must kill marines or have them pinned down within a certain time (=marines researching)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited August 2011
    bugs
    - after round ends I get stuck in a black screen (the game is still running). Can't bring up the main menu. Only way out is to open the console and type 'disconnect' to get out of the server and back to the main menu.
    - Crags: often when activating umbra I hear the sound but don't see the graphic effect. Did it work or not?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1865862:date=Aug 2 2011, 11:45 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Aug 2 2011, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bugs
    - after round ends I get stuck in a black screen (the game is still running). Can't bring up the main menu. Only way out is to open the console and type 'disconnect' to get out of the server and back to the main menu.
    - Crags: often when activating umbra I hear the sound but don't see the graphic effect. Did it work or not?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. I've had that for a few versions, it's annoying.

2. I noticed that with spore gas, I don't know if it was working or not either.
  • garthakgarthak Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76073Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864959:date=Jul 30 2011, 09:34 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jul 30 2011, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try starting a server yourself first, then opening the server list.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1864972:date=Jul 30 2011, 10:43 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jul 30 2011, 10:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sometimes the in game server list is buggy for me and things won't show up. Try clicking the different options to see if that brings it back, or more simply, look at the server list here <a href="http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/</a> and then directly type 'connect [server address]' to the one you want to join.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tried both of these, when I tried to start my own server, NS would crash, and when I try to pick a server from that list, it says not responding, and when I try to directly join the server via console commands in game, it says it cant connect. Ive uninstalled, and reinstalled twice, and restarted multiple times, both restarts and cold starts.
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    Do you have this problem with any other game?
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I've had that problem with umbra since it was released. Sometimes it doesn't fire when you click the button. Other times it fires, takes the energy away, but you can't see the graphic of the cloud (as commander). And of course, it also works like it's supposed to sometimes, but that's rather rare.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I have this problem with spore not working, or not being visible on lerk.
    <!--quoteo(post=1866149:date=Aug 3 2011, 05:21 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Aug 3 2011, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have this problem with spore not working, or not being visible on lerk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, spores will not show up in Alien view mode. Sometimes when I switch out of Alien view mode to normal, if I attempt to use spores, I do not see the spore cloud. What I usually do is switch from Alien back to normal and that fixes the spores from not showing.
    edited August 2011
    I'd like alien view mode to have decals pointing to vents, infestation boundaries, and trails of recent alien/marine activity. I want it to be like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BSKf9V3-0fI#t=250s" target="_blank">this</a>. That would be neat.
    <!--quoteo(post=1866130:date=Aug 3 2011, 08:52 PM:name=kaffaljidhma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaffaljidhma @ Aug 3 2011, 08:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you have this problem with any other game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no, just ns2, and my firewall is off, forgot to mention that.
    edited August 2011
    What is your ISP, and does it have any restrictions you know about? Do you have a router?
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1866158:date=Aug 3 2011, 04:52 PM:name=kaffaljidhma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaffaljidhma @ Aug 3 2011, 04:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like alien view mode to have decals pointing to (...) trails of recent alien/marine activity (...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In an early version of NS1 aliens had an ability called "Pheremones" where they could see a trail of markers left behind by every marine like footprints. That was fun, remember? Was later replaced by "Scent of Fear", which in NS2 is one function of infestation.

Otherwise, "simple" stategical alertness and frequently pressing C usually gives me all the information I need. Especially if my teammates use their voices to communicate. Concerning the recently discussed deadlocks, I find that many players simply don't know how to win. It shows when they waste their time or res fighting at the wrong places or attacking the wrong structure. And a lot of the time, they can't group up decently - even with minimap and voicecom.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1866255:date=Aug 4 2011, 08:26 AM:name=kaffaljidhma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaffaljidhma @ Aug 4 2011, 08:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is your ISP, and does it have any restrictions you know about? Do you have a router?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ISP being internet service provider is cox digital cable, no restrictions I know about, I do have a router, but I've never had any problems with it, firewall is off on that, was causing problems, I was able to play NS2 before this build, but now I cant.

However, I thought I'd try again after posting this, for fun, and it works again, dont know what the problem was, maybe it was steam or somethin, but my problems resoved.
  • MachiMachi Join Date: 2010-05-18 Member: 71798Members
    can someone teach me how to join other people's GAME?? I see servers I cant double click it and cant click Play it.
    Same questions. What is your ISP, does it have any restrictions, do you have a router.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1865757:date=Aug 2 2011, 12:48 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 2 2011, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I totally got this bug once and it was extremely annoying. The only way I was able to fix it was to exit out of NS2.exe and re-boot the game. Luckily, this has only happened once..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The same here.. at least three times!

looks like server lags and forget to remove evolve menu from client's screen.

Rly annoying... reconnect server doesn't help, join to another server results same ... There is only one solution on this ... to quit NS2 and run it again.
  • TheJimTheJim Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34080Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864394:date=Jul 29 2011, 12:12 AM:name=garthak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (garthak @ Jul 29 2011, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im having a problem, no servers show up on the servers list, cant play. First real error like this I've had though, tried restarting steam, didnt work. Ill try re downloading it

completely re downloaded, still cant see any servers, anyone else got that problem<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have been having this problem for a while now. Other than console typing to connect to a server the only way I can connect to a game is to join through a friend on steam. The server list is just empty, has only been happening since this build too previous builds were fine.

Have also tried everything suggested and tried by garthak but it makes no difference. His resolved itself was hoping mine would, but it hasn't.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    wait a few minutes see if the server list ever loads. wait like 10 mins if it still dosent load dont know what to say. recently ive seen the server list take a lot longer to populate
    If you can still join games then it might be a problem with your router or whoever's directing traffic for your ISP.
  • Dr_Cox1911Dr_Cox1911 Join Date: 2011-04-25 Member: 95575Members
    Haven´t played a few weeks but build 183 seems aweful to me. Performance improved a bit but if I got close to any building my view jumps up and down. Grenadelaunchers are OP aren´t they? And why are there no grenades flying around? Build 179 seemed much more playable to me. Marines only spam phasegates and armories (every time a marine jumps and I´m near the phasegate the game freezes for almost 5 secs).