Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 204 released

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1924653:date=Apr 12 2012, 08:48 AM:name=Melatonin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melatonin @ Apr 12 2012, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did just experience the onos/ gun jamming bug again (and to make things worse, he told us that his escape was a close call), but I'm sure its on the agenda.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This bugger is so difficult to nail down. it requires timing and a situation that is VERY difficult to reproduce. i can usually do it while the first second of reloading a rifle, as the Onos stomps.

basically, this bug has been kicking our ass, and if you have any input it would only help. :)
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Not every strategy is valid simply because it can be stopped by cutting the enemy's res income. Else we might just add nukes to the game and well if you let them have enough res to nuke and win it's your own fault.

There's a bit more behind it.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bug, sometimes with fades you get stuck in the stab charge-up mode if you don't have enough stamina, then as a fade you are stuck in the slow-movement mode of charging up right before stab lands, as well as your stamina being drained over and over as if you were constantly spamming stab (without the actual attack going through).
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924495:date=Apr 11 2012, 10:37 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Apr 11 2012, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->verify the game's files.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And how do you go about doing that? I have had this problem lately as well.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924904:date=Apr 12 2012, 10:00 PM:name=gamester_5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gamester_5 @ Apr 12 2012, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And how do you go about doing that? I have had this problem lately as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

right click NS2 in steam list > Properties > local files tab > verify
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1924890:date=Apr 12 2012, 05:21 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Apr 12 2012, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bug, sometimes with fades you get stuck in the stab charge-up mode if you don't have enough stamina, then as a fade you are stuck in the slow-movement mode of charging up right before stab lands, as well as your stamina being drained over and over as if you were constantly spamming stab (without the actual attack going through).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

need a video or specific reproducing steps, because i just tried this for a few minutes and didn't have any luck?
    PM me please.
    edited April 2012
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zdeHOcPIAuQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zdeHOcPIAuQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • AlamandarosAlamandaros Join Date: 2012-04-11 Member: 150253Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924890:date=Apr 12 2012, 10:21 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Apr 12 2012, 10:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bug, sometimes with fades you get stuck in the stab charge-up mode if you don't have enough stamina, then as a fade you are stuck in the slow-movement mode of charging up right before stab lands, as well as your stamina being drained over and over as if you were constantly spamming stab (without the actual attack going through).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Confirming this bug happened to me.

I'm not exactly sure of how it happened but I attempted to use stab then escape, only to find I had no energy, was moving at the pace of a snail, and was seemingly stuck in the stab animation.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Yay, latest tweet: Balance: Mines hurt owners. Brilliant! Been hoping for this for a while now.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1924890:date=Apr 12 2012, 05:21 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Apr 12 2012, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bug, sometimes with fades you get stuck in the stab charge-up mode if you don't have enough stamina, then as a fade you are stuck in the slow-movement mode of charging up right before stab lands, as well as your stamina being drained over and over as if you were constantly spamming stab (without the actual attack going through).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bug has been reported and is already fixed for next build, I think.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Delivered: Gameplay task Fade Stab stuck in a loop<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1924919:date=Apr 13 2012, 04:04 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Apr 13 2012, 04:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924919"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->need a video or specific reproducing steps, because i just tried this for a few minutes and didn't have any luck?
    PM me please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It easy to reproduce, I posted this bug 2 weeks ago in the techforum.

Select stab, blink and as soon as you are out of eather stab.
    Fade gets stuck/slowmode with a infinite stabloop but he will never execute it.

Switching back to swip frees you. This bug is in the game, since the shadowsstep was introduced.

Edit: nvm I didn't read twilitblues post
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    nice effects

~ onos still unbalanced imo
    ~ ARC trains still too hard too destroy imo
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yea onos is still retarded, I hope they actually come up with a proper fix for him, i.e one that makes him weaker at 1 (and even 2) hive and stronger lategame, the current implementation is just head over heels retarded and makes me want to stop playing NS all together. It's really not that hard to address.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bodies do disolve too quickly, Id like to savour the ONOS's death for just a little while longer muhahahaha.

Roll on the Aliens Speed boosts, crack on guys, the games great.
  • Evo303Evo303 Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149199Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1925033:date=Apr 13 2012, 03:00 PM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Apr 13 2012, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bodies do disolve too quickly, Id like to savour the ONOS's death for just a little while longer muhahahaha.

Roll on the Aliens Speed boosts, crack on guys, the games great.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I second that, bodies do disappear too quickly.
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1925019:date=Apr 13 2012, 09:35 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 13 2012, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea onos is still retarded, I hope they actually come up with a proper fix for him, i.e one that makes him weaker at 1 (and even 2) hive and stronger lategame, the current implementation is just head over heels retarded and makes me want to stop playing NS all together. It's really not that hard to address.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So I'm not crazy when I'm thinking Onos is strong early and weak late?

I do think the next patch will help not only the "spam moar Onos" issue as well as the Alien winning 90% of the time issue. I believe they mentioned that they were going to make the Gorge a more integral part of the early-game, which means more people dumping resources into Gorge aka less people being able to go Onos early. Makes sense when you think about it because as I recall from NS1 (been a few years) you had a good chunk of the team gorging early to drop upgrade chambers, an RT, or a hive.

I'm thinking maybe the whole Alien Commander idea has backfired a bit balance-wise because there's no longer that early Gorge res-sink going on.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1925044:date=Apr 13 2012, 10:59 AM:name=Unknown_Soldier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Unknown_Soldier @ Apr 13 2012, 10:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I'm not crazy when I'm thinking Onos is strong early and weak late?

I do think the next patch will help not only the "spam moar Onos" issue as well as the Alien winning 90% of the time issue. I believe they mentioned that they were going to make the Gorge a more integral part of the early-game, which means more people dumping resources into Gorge aka less people being able to go Onos early. Makes sense when you think about it because as I recall from NS1 (been a few years) you had a good chunk of the team gorging early to drop upgrade chambers, an RT, or a hive.

I'm thinking maybe the whole Alien Commander idea has backfired a bit balance-wise because there's no longer that early Gorge res-sink going on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Of course Onos is strong early and weak later in game. That's because by late game, Marine probably have upgraded to level 3 weapons so Onos doesn't feel so strong anymore.

If I'm not mistaken, Aliens get full Carapace right away without having to level up like Marines have to. You get full Carapace after building one Shell instead of the 3 Shells you needed before. This would make the Onos very strong right away until Marines can level up to level 3 weapons and then Onos would actually feel weaker late game.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Wow, look at the great colors of the preview image of this video. Could be a shot from peregrinus. What a random moment of beauty.

<!--quoteo(post=1924924:date=Apr 13 2012, 04:25 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Apr 13 2012, 04:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zdeHOcPIAuQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zdeHOcPIAuQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924569:date=Apr 12 2012, 01:09 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 12 2012, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So how do you defeat a train of say 10 arcs coming to the hive?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By introducing some kind of advanced turret factory. There needs so be one thing that powers all arcs. It could maybe be the reincarnation of the power pack. Destroy it - arcs dont fire - have time to defend until a new power source arrives. Worked great in NS1. We could even win siege map games where 20-30 sieges fired at all hives at the same time. It's all about teamwork then.

Right now arcs are totally undefendable, true.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Fix whips against ARCs so whips can effectively take out ARCs the same way ARCs can effectively take out whips.
  • GroverGrover Join Date: 2012-04-05 Member: 149990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Data Core just south of hive outside the hive area is a point where aliens spawn stuck.
    edited April 2012
    known bug already reported, wheee. thanks tho.

and its been fixed for next patch.
  • GroverGrover Join Date: 2012-04-05 Member: 149990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1925087:date=Apr 13 2012, 01:47 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Apr 13 2012, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->known bug already reported, wheee. thanks tho.

and its been fixed for next patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just shows you how much i play fade lol. yo ho ho it's a marine's life for me.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I really like the new death effects but I think there should be a longer delay before they kick in to allow the ragdolls to settle. The alien death effect could also be slowed down a bit to give it a more organic feel.
    I agree with the above
  • Evo303Evo303 Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149199Members
    Agreed on longer delay and a more 'organic' alien death feel.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited April 2012
    Yea it's really good only needs to be slowed down 3x or 4x

Annoying thing is r_gui false does not hide the health rings so you can't easily record clean video or get screenshots anymore because the rings pop up whenever a unit is near the centre of the screen.

Fade power attack has a longer reach than the actual model's animation shows. I've seen power attack a marine when the marine was about 2 feet away from the claws.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The bite sound it a bit too loud again. Too metallic I would say also.
    Yea the sound was better in 203 imo