THANKS FOR BITE LERK !

tux77tux77 Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152340Members
I just would say thank you very very much UWE for bite lerk again because spike was just useless and thank for hearing about community lerk player request.
Vampire bite seem very cool in the idea moreover ;) , now just give bilebomb to gorge and put back umbra on lerk again ;) .

THANK YOU !!!

Comments

• cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    Huh, I haven't heard any announcement about that yet. Just the hints from the Q&A, but they could still come up with something different, right?
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939093:date=May 26 2012, 11:21 AM:name=tux77)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tux77 @ May 26 2012, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just would say thank you very very much UWE for bite lerk again because spike was just useless and thank for hearing about community lerk player request.
    Vampire bite seem very cool in the idea moreover ;) , now just give bilebomb to gorge and put back umbra on lerk again ;) .

THANK YOU !!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Huh? :/
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited May 2012
    At the beginning of the Q&A 3, they were talking about the possibility of bringing back bite for lerk. However it would be different from the skulk bite as much of the damage would come in the form of a poison DoT. So a lerk would bite a marine and then fly away letting the DoT take its course.

But yea, the change is by no means official yet, unless you know something new
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Note "Lerk Poison Bite" in the progress tracker ;)
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    First the gorge gets bilebomb back, and now the lerk gets bite!

Progress is being made gentlemen.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939125:date=May 26 2012, 04:12 PM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ May 26 2012, 04:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First the gorge gets bilebomb back, and now the lerk gets bite!

Progress is being made gentlemen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

About 3 or 4 patches too late.

But regardless, it's progress in the right direction finally.

Edit: Now all lerks need is ranged spore again.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Damage over time doesn't really seem like the best idea for something that requires you to get up close and personal with shotguns and rifles...
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939129:date=May 26 2012, 04:18 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 26 2012, 04:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damage over time doesn't really seem like the best idea for something that requires you to get up close and personal with shotguns and rifles...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hence why I hope they bring ranged spores back.

Range spore for cover, bite for the poison, toss another ranged spore as you fly away and watch the marine die a slow death unless the comm drops him a medpack.

Trail spores need to go, or else they are going to need to bring that lerk armor back.

Hopefully we won't have to wait another 4 patch cycles for this to happen.
    edited May 2012
    Range spores couple better with bite. Plus they were a lot more fun to use then the trail spore we have now.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    Lerk spore isn't changing due to he reasons that were brought up in the other Lerk threads.

The bite is fairly powerful in terms of damage, and if a Marine does not hit up an armory or get a medpack they die.
    <!--quoteo(post=1939154:date=May 26 2012, 06:13 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ May 26 2012, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk spore isn't changing due to he reasons that were brought up in the other Lerk threads.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have yet to see any compelling arguments against projectile spores.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939163:date=May 26 2012, 07:06 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ May 26 2012, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have yet to see any compelling arguments against projectile spores.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find spore trail more fun, although it wouldn't synergize too well with poison bite. Regular bite on the other hand...
    I thought projectile spores were removed to promote lerks to get up close, since players could just sit back sporing and spiking.
    However if the lerk's main attack is close range, a player sitting back with spore is wasting the lerk. Plus the spore wouldn't need insane range.
  • Sr LanceSr Lance Rhythm is a Lancer Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32862Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The reason why spore projectile was removed is because the marines are unable to assault the Lerk due to not being able to locate it or get in range, the Lerk can constantly spore the Marines and keep running and firing without the marines being able to react back and doing area of denial. This is bad gameplay mechanics; there should always be a fair counter to all life forms/teams.
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939168:date=May 26 2012, 07:18 PM:name=Sr Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sr Lance @ May 26 2012, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reason why spore projectile was removed is because the marines are unable to assault the Lerk due to not being able to locate it or get in range, the Lerk can constantly spore the Marines and keep running and firing without the marines being able to react back and doing area of denial. This is bad gameplay mechanics; there should always be a fair counter to all life forms/teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Performance has improved so aiming is easier. Obs gives motion tracking and scan pings aliens on the map. Marine have an ESP-mini map too. Guns are ranged if I'm not mistaken and also give amazing area denial in long hallways. So those points are <i>pretty</i> moot by current game standards.

Grenade launchers/lmg combo is a bad gameplay mechanic.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939129:date=May 26 2012, 09:18 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 26 2012, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damage over time doesn't really seem like the best idea for something that requires you to get up close and personal with shotguns and rifles...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. Unless it's an upgrade that adds an additional amount of poison damage after the main bite (so that you can kill people from the grave ^^)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939168:date=May 26 2012, 11:18 PM:name=Sr Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sr Lance @ May 26 2012, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reason why spore projectile was removed is because the marines are unable to assault the Lerk due to not being able to locate it or get in range, the Lerk can constantly spore the Marines and keep running and firing without the marines being able to react back and doing area of denial. This is bad gameplay mechanics; there should always be a fair counter to all life forms/teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This was not an issue in NS1, ask yourself why.

(performance-, hitreg- and animation-issues is the answer by the way).
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939166:date=May 26 2012, 05:11 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ May 26 2012, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find spore trail more fun, although it wouldn't synergize too well with poison bite. Regular bite on the other hand...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I cannot see poison bite being very useful. Its a cool concept though, but doesn't synergise well with the lerks playstyle. Would make more sense on a skulk - leap in, poison, leap out. Or cloak, poison, then hide.

How about a vampiric bite? The lerk bites down hard, and clips onto the position on the marine for a second or two. During that time, the lerk gains health and takes it from the marine.

Squadmates would need to be around to shoot off the lerk, since a lerk stuck to your back would be impossible to remove alone.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939178:date=May 26 2012, 08:34 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ May 26 2012, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about a vampiric bite? The lerk bites down hard, and clips onto the position on the marine for a second or two. During that time, the lerk gains health and takes it from the marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are two ways to implement this:
    <ul><li>the health gain exceeds the rifle's DPS - this ruins combat in obvious ways</li><li>the health gain does not meet or exceed the rifle's DPS - this is useless like spores would be right now if they werent so difficult to see through</li></ul>

Careful!
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    I think Charlie said in q&a 3, the lerk bite isn't replacing anything, probabaly a third tier ability. I don't know why peeps want to turn lerk into an upgraded skulk anyway. The lerk is the only ranged alien, it adds variety and requires a different (and difficult) skill.

A poison bite could be an interesting strategy vs. exo together with gas: both would attack health directly and avoid armour BUT the lerk has to get dangerously close to do both and then make its escape. Sounds balanced, challenging and fun (unlike ranged spores...)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited May 2012
    Trailing spores were designed to get the Lerk up off the ground and flying around, instead of sitting back out of the room or in a vent somewhere sporing and spiking. We tried the projectile spores, and that is exactly what was happening - unseen lerks, hanging back out of battle, not flying around. As soon as we changed the spores from projectile to trailing, Lerks engaged in combat and were flying around much more and being smarter and more tactical with their playstyle.

We are happy with how the trailing spores are working, and those are not changing.

We believe the concept of the poison bite does synergize well with the Lerks other abilities, as he can get a quick bite in while flying by a marine while sporing, and keep on flying. If it was just a regular bite it would be too similar to the skulk, and would mean the Lerk has to remain in close for some time biting to melee the marine to death, rather then the hit and run (fly) tactic of the poison bite.

As mentioned already, the bite is not the only additional ability the Lerk is getting, and there are some other changes to his existing abilities, and possibly to his health / armor. It will all be clearer soon.

--Cory
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    Any chance of trying "spores take on your momentum"?
    It means you have to move to use them effectively, but it doesn't force you into close range.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    I am really looking forward to the changes to lerk. It is my favorite lifeform and i really take pleasure is flying around and being the harasser / cover producer for the other life forms.
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    So if I understand this forces marines to go back to an armory or else they'll die regardless of health/time? Sounds like an annoying mechanic where marines are forced to fall-back on points they're attempting to secure or where the marines are forced to rely on their commander tossing medkits around even more.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1939205:date=May 26 2012, 10:50 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 26 2012, 10:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Trailing spores were designed to get the Lerk up off the ground and flying around, instead of sitting back out of the room or in a vent somewhere sporing and spiking. We tried the projectile spores, and that is exactly what was happening - unseen lerks, hanging back out of battle, not flying around. As soon as we changed the spores from projectile to trailing, Lerks engaged in combat and were flying around much more and being smarter and more tactical with their playstyle.

We are happy with how the trailing spores are working, and those are not changing.

We believe the concept of the poison bite does synergize well with the Lerks other abilities, as he can get a quick bite in while flying by a marine while sporing, and keep on flying. If it was just a regular bite it would be too similar to the skulk, and would mean the Lerk has to remain in close for some time biting to melee the marine to death, rather then the hit and run (fly) tactic of the poison bite.

As mentioned already, the bite is not the only additional ability the Lerk is getting, and there are some other changes to his existing abilities, and possibly to his health / armor. It will all be clearer soon.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This sounds very reasonable and I like the direction the lerk is taking!

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any chance of trying "spores take on your momentum"?
    It means you have to move to use them effectively, but it doesn't force you into close range.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Might work and would probably be a middle way. Although the skill would be a lot harder to master with this change.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if I understand this forces marines to go back to an armory or else they'll die regardless of health/time?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or just get a medpack from the comm as I understand it.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hi Charlie!

I've heard that you are thinking about changing Lerk's arsenal as well as its flight model.

Here is the flight model I made about 2 months ago (which I've modified to to be compatible with b208). It is not perfect, but I hope it may bring you some inspiration.

<a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60032446/lerk_mod_4.5.zip" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60032446/lerk_mod_4.5.zip</a>
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    The poison bite idea sounds a little peculiar to me. As a Lerk it seems like it's stepping on the toes of Spikes as a killing tool(unless that's changing), and of Spores as a harass tool. I also foresee it being frustrating for a marine to be poisoned as a lasting status effect rather than a cloud they can step out of.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    If it lasts until death or healing, I foresee lots of super pissed players who die in a way they can't realistically defend themselves against (a single bite) simply because the commander was a little distracted elsewhere.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1939205:date=May 27 2012, 02:50 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 27 2012, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Trailing spores were designed to get the Lerk up off the ground and flying around, instead of sitting back out of the room or in a vent somewhere sporing and spiking. We tried the projectile spores, and that is exactly what was happening - unseen lerks, hanging back out of battle, not flying around. As soon as we changed the spores from projectile to trailing, Lerks engaged in combat and were flying around much more and being smarter and more tactical with their playstyle.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I totally agree with cory why having trailing as lerk.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939205:date=May 27 2012, 03:50 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 27 2012, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As soon as we changed the spores from projectile to trailing, Lerks engaged in combat and were flying around much more and being smarter and more tactical with their playstyle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    About the same time you added the trailing spores, you also massively improved the flight model and main weapon of the Lerk. My hypothesis is that those changes had a larger effect on making Lerks engage in combat than adding trailing spores ever did.

It seems pretty obvious that when the Lerk goes from "completely ineffective in close combat" to "most effective in close combat", people will use it more in close combat, regardless of having ranged options.

<!--quoteo(post=1939205:date=May 27 2012, 03:50 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 27 2012, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are happy with how the trailing spores are working, and those are not changing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a shame, considering they're completely useless against good marines (apart from hitting mouse2 when you're trying to escape to throw their aim off slightly).