Alien territory means nothing

2»

Comments

• DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    I don't understand why there needs to be hard-coded "territory" beyond power grid/infestation. IRL your territory/turf/whatever you call it is an area you influence, control, and enforce. In NS2, territory should be the area where aliens/marines can readily respond to threats and repel attackers. Even without buildings, one team can control the map and effectively make it all their territory.

I honestly don't know what the OP wants. I'd rather have the PLAYERS determine turf, not some game rule.

Also, IMO 5v5 does not favor marines or skulks. I think it matters way more on how the encounter starts. Who surprised who? Where? What size/type of room was it? If it's 5v5 in a giant blank box, then of course marines will win, but aliens should never be attacking that way. o.O
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    My understanding was infestation slightly snared marines and doubled the aliens passive regen.

Did they change this?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Imbalanxd, the answer to this is to have your 5 skulks in the marine's main room, not in their main room. It's true that if you just teleport marines into the hive they will do well, but in practice marines don't teleport into a hive. They have to walk there as a group. Even with PGs, they either need to send one marine (easy to handle for the 5 skulks) or a bunch of marines (which is basically the same as just attacking the hive; the PG only affects reinforcements). Since skulks are faster than marines, what you do is move the skulks into the marine base when the marines are at the half way point to the alien base, forcing them to either turn around or push onward and start behind in the hive vs chair death race.

NS2 is too complicated to be reduced to a situation where you just teleport both teams into a room and let them have at it.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1978820:date=Sep 17 2012, 05:11 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 17 2012, 05:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imbalanxd, the answer to this is to have your 5 skulks in the marine's main room, not in their main room. It's true that if you just teleport marines into the hive they will do well, but in practice marines don't teleport into a hive. They have to walk there as a group. Even with PGs, they either need to send one marine (easy to handle for the 5 skulks) or a bunch of marines (which is basically the same as just attacking the hive; the PG only affects reinforcements). Since skulks are faster than marines, what you do is move the skulks into the marine base when the marines are at the half way point to the alien base, forcing them to either turn around or push onward and start behind in the hive vs chair death race.

NS2 is too complicated to be reduced to a situation where you just teleport both teams into a room and let them have at it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Getting marines to a hive room isn't difficult due to the aforementioned massive reduction in travel time. Aliens aren't that much faster than marines (about 15%, down from around 30-40% in NS1, I had the exact numbers somewhere. I'm unsure of who would kill a hive/chair faster at level 0, probably skulks, though marines would definitely win at lvl 2 and above. And, obviously, if it ever looks like they would lose, they can just beacon. In fact, a safer way would be to set a phase gate up before attacking. That way, once they have beaconed and killed every clustered alien around the comm chair in about 2 seconds flat, they can phase back and finish the job. No risk involved here I'm afraid.

And yes, the teleporting players in thing was over simplified, but only to attempt to prove a point. Here is how territory based games work; an inherent force pushes intruders out of territory at all times. As soon as an opponent enters your territory, simply be being there he received a negative buff that pushes him backwards. This gives territory meaning. Each team gathers resources based on their territory, and eventually, whoever gains the most resources through having the most territory is able to overcome the natural negative buff of the enemy territory and push through for the win. Without that you are just playing COD in different settings and environments. While the territory thing doesn't necessarily need to apply to every room and corridor, it should at least apply to each team's headquarters. I mean hell, are you telling me that the outcome of a fight in a random corridor that doesn't even have a res node in it should have the same win/loss probability as a fight in the enemies main base?