Weapon Melee Stun

yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
edited September 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">and why it doesn't belong</div>In the life of every skulk he/she has jumped a marine, cunningly wasted the marines ammo with dodges and feints, and <i>right </i>when they are about to go in for the final juicy bite <u>their legs stop working</u>. Marine crouch jumps and immediately pistols the immobile target. The tears, they will not stop.

"Did my keyboard cut out?", you ask, "Was there a lag spike?"
No, you were simply the victim of a weapon melee stun and you didn't know it.

The problems with this:

-As an alien (or most all of them) you are FORCED to get into melee range to hurt the target. This also happens to be the position in which you can be instantly disabled and killed <i>for no fault of your own</i> and <i>there is nothing you can do to prevent it.</i> Simply put, if you are in a position where you can bite, you are in a position where you can be instantly shut down. This is further exacerbated in marine groups larger than one. You see, as skulk that cannot dodge is very quickly a dead skulk. <u>Marine gameplay in ns2 my very well wind up having players immediately going for the weapon punch for a guaranteed kill.</u> Even the most skilled skulks can't do a thing to help their situation.

-(This is no where near as important as to point one) As it stands, it is very hard to tell if it will happen or IS happening and very few aliens even know it exists. It took me forever to realize WHAT was even happening. Why couldn't I move when I needed it most?

The solution:
<strike>Remove it =/</strike> (Edited:) Remove the stun effect
I can kind of see the thought process the devs have on this one, but as a see it, I think this ability is <i>unsalvageable</i>. You could make the punch a damage and knockback if you must, but this would just be less drastic version which has all the same problems of the previous.

Thanks! Ns2 is simply amazing!

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I agree it should be removed, give it to the EXO fist instead.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980715:date=Sep 20 2012, 02:28 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Sep 20 2012, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->give it to the EXO fist instead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No. Just remove the stun from the game completely.
    It's one of the most horrible features of the game.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Currently it is a stupidly random win-or-lose weapon. It is not really easy to hit with, even with practice (although I haven't spent much time on this and thus might be just a noob), but when you do it, the skulk is almost automatically dead.

I kind of like there being a rifle butt to hit with, but the stun needs to change. Maybe just a knock-back or even just plain old damage. Right now the stun effect is really annoying and - well - stupid.
  • skjorteNskjorteN Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155548Members
    I also dislike this feature. But on the other hand, it does not even help me. The few times that i´ve actually managed to hit with the riflebutt, i still end up getting the final bite from the skulk as he is facing me. Even tho, remove it pls.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    The worst part about the stun, other than it exists, is the fact that there is little to no feedback for the skulk when it happens. It is jarring and suddenly you can't move. Every time it happens to me I become confused and think "WHY THE HELL CAN'T I MOVE?" If this is to stay in the game then at the very least it needs a unique sound for the impact of the rifle butt that can easily be picked up by the skulk and cue them to the fact they just got hit by it.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited September 2012
    Unless I'm mistaken you only get any sort of stun effect if you get hit while in the air.

At least rifle butting certainly doesn't seem to slow down any of the skulks I've hit with it.

I certainly don't see how it could be considered an optimal strategy to rely on it to win fights.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    The fact the edge cases exists is enough to give me pause. I haven't had time to play recently, but my intuition tells me this is a poor design choice. Rifle butting already deals damage and pushes the Skulk away a bit, resetting the engagement. The stun is just icing.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    I don't see why they dont just make it so that instead of stunning the skulk if he's in the air make it stun if he's coming at you above base run speed. Also I'd like to see rifle butt stop gorges while bellysliding those slippery ######s are always sliding away from melee range, taking full rifle magazines to their butt.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980793:date=Sep 20 2012, 07:30 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Sep 20 2012, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unless I'm mistaken you only get any sort of stun effect if you get hit while in the air.

At least rifle butting certainly doesn't seem to slow down any of the skulks I've hit with it.

I certainly don't see how it could be considered an optimal strategy to rely on it to win fights.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did not know, thanks for the info! I guess in engagements you probably should be constantly jumping as a skulk (I know I am), this might not make much of a difference.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    I agree. Get rid of the stun. The damage is fine and can stay. Do you have any idea how much it sucks to close in on a marine in a competitive game and get stunned. Also get rid of auto weld macs and MINES.

I know. Lets make mines stun aliens and auto weld marines.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980934:date=Sep 20 2012, 11:02 AM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Sep 20 2012, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know. Lets make mines stun aliens and auto weld marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have an even better idea.

Give Macs dual miniguns; the drawback can be that when they're cooling off, they can only fire their reserve claymore mine-launcher.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Damage from it: OK.

knockback from it: Meh.

Stun: I want to strangle a small defenseless animal.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i like the idea of marine melee being more focused on someone helping you out instead of killing a skulk by yourself. but it seems way too powerful against skulks right now (even 1 on 1) plus there is no reason for the marine not to spam it over and over.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    I vote to keep the rifle butt stun, but only when I play marine.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    At the very least, I would like to see the knockback kept in and the stun removed.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Man I god damn LOVE the marine melee stun.

Nothing is more awesome than smashing a leaping skulk to the floor and then filling it up with bullets.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like it.

The end.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited September 2012
    The position that its in could be plausibly quite beneficial to gameplay. The LMG is basically the 1:1 weapon against the skulks. In fact it is more powerful, which is why it runs out of ammo, so it is more like 1.5:1 . The pistol is good in skilled hands, but typically due to speed and close proximity, is quite lacking in comparison, and is something like a 0.6:1 . I like the idea of the rifle butt being an extension of this principle. It is basically trying to address the fact that a skulk can, for all intents and purposes, attack indefinitely without pause.

I think the current problem is the ratio it has against the skulk. It is by no means something you would go into battle with, as the pistol is. However, it isn't really as negligible as it should be, I would put it at around 0.4:1 . One of the biggest and best trade-offs of these "alternative" weapons is the fact that the more you use it, the less you use your primary weapon. You can pull out your pistol and empty ten bullets, but that means it will take longer to get back to firing your more powerful LMG. One problem with the rifle butt is the negligible trade off. I will time it when I have access to NS2, but I think that the difference between emptying a clip and reloading, and emptying a clip, swinging once, and then reloading, is probably less than 0.3 seconds. That just isn't enough of a trade-off, not for the relative strength of the swing.

My suggestion is this: reduce the damage to 20 (I'm pretty sure its 30 at the moment) and impose a reload penalty of 30-40% for using it. So if the total time it takes to reload a weapon is 1.5 seconds, any reloads attempted within 3 seconds of using rifle butt will take 2.1 seconds. This penalty should apply to both the LMG and the pistol. I think the damage reduction will restrict this ability to only killing skulks which are really on their last legs, a real last ditch effort. The reload penalty will also make the use of this ability a <b>choice </b>, not a no brainer. It also gives the option for interleaving rifle butts inbetween your LMG and pistol, to minimize any reload penalties.

I think this suggestion is perfectly reasonable, in a practical sense, as you would think that swinging your weapon at a small dog would put you a bit off balance, and the context switching would slow your reload speed down a bit. As for whether or not it is a "hidden mechanic", I think that such a thing would be quite easily noticeable to those paying attention (the only ones who really deserve to know), but its relative obscurity may become a problem. I think a first person view animation of a marine fumbling with his rifle or something similar would serve to illustrate the consequences of using the secondary fire.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1981317:date=Sep 21 2012, 04:08 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Sep 21 2012, 04:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The position that its in could be plausibly quite beneficial to gameplay. The LMG is basically the 1:1 weapon against the skulks. In fact it is more powerful, which is why it runs out of ammo, so it is more like 1.5:1 . The pistol is good in skilled hands, but typically due to speed and close proximity, is quite lacking in comparison, and is something like a 0.6:1 . I like the idea of the rifle butt being an extension of this principle. It is basically trying to address the fact that a skulk can, for all intents and purposes, attack indefinitely without pause.

I think the current problem is the ratio it has against the skulk. It is by no means something you would go into battle with, as the pistol is. However, it isn't really as negligible as it should be, I would put it at around 0.4:1 . One of the biggest and best trade-offs of these "alternative" weapons is the fact that the more you use it, the less you use your primary weapon. You can pull out your pistol and empty ten bullets, but that means it will take longer to get back to firing your more powerful LMG. One problem with the rifle butt is the negligible trade off. I will time it when I have access to NS2, but I think that the difference between emptying a clip and reloading, and emptying a clip, swinging once, and then reloading, is probably less than 0.3 seconds. That just isn't enough of a trade-off, not for the relative strength of the swing.

My suggestion is this: reduce the damage to 20 (I'm pretty sure its 30 at the moment) and impose a reload penalty of 30-40% for using it. So if the total time it takes to reload a weapon is 1.5 seconds, any reloads attempted within 3 seconds of using rifle butt will take 2.1 seconds. This penalty should apply to both the LMG and the pistol. I think the damage reduction will restrict this ability to only killing skulks which are really on their last legs, a real last ditch effort. The reload penalty will also make the use of this ability a <b>choice </b>, not a no brainer. It also gives the option for interleaving rifle butts inbetween your LMG and pistol, to minimize any reload penalties.

I think this suggestion is perfectly reasonable, in a practical sense, as you would think that swinging your weapon at a small dog would put you a bit off balance, and the context switching would slow your reload speed down a bit. As for whether or not it is a "hidden mechanic", I think that such a thing would be quite easily noticeable to those paying attention (the only ones who really deserve to know), but its relative obscurity may become a problem. I think a first person view animation of a marine fumbling with his rifle or something similar would serve to illustrate the consequences of using the secondary fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The issue at hand is not about the damage delivered by the melee attack and how well it interleaves with other attacks. It is about whether it is fair to be able to apply a stun to the melee-based aliens. I feel you are confusing the issue. I think it's my fault however, I misspoke when I asked to remove the attack, I really meant remove the stun effect (I have just edited the post to fix this!)

I appreciate your analysis, though, I never thought of looking at it like different damage ratios (e.g. 1.5:1) at different phases like that before. The only thing I would mention though is that skulks often depend on the downtime during a marine reload as a safe time to attack, and minimizing or removing this vulnerability could remove this unique strategy from the game. Also, I do like your idea of imposing a reloading penalty.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    I would like to see riflebutt melee gone completely. If you want to melee, use the axe. At the very least stun and knockback need to go. Nothing feels cheaper than killing a skulk that it stuck on the floor for a couple of secs, unable to fight back in any way.
  • skjorteNskjorteN Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155548Members
    edited September 2012
    I also feel that the range on the riflebutt sometimes is completely ###### up(for lack of better words). Countless times ive been hit from a marine not even near me. And i know that many factors come into play here, but if he cant hit me wtih the bullets, he should not have the opportunity to hit me with a long range riflebutt. Its stupid and ruins some of the mechanics behind how the skulk should work in closecombat. The stun is just plain stupid, imho.
    <!--quoteo(post=1981367:date=Sep 21 2012, 05:06 PM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Sep 21 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The issue at hand is not about the damage delivered by the melee attack and how well it interleaves with other attacks. It is about whether it is fair to be able to apply a stun to the melee-based aliens. I feel you are confusing the issue. I think it's my fault however, I misspoke when I asked to remove the attack, I really meant remove the stun effect (I have just edited the post to fix this!)

I appreciate your analysis, though, I never thought of looking at it like different damage ratios (e.g. 1.5:1) at different phases like that before. The only thing I would mention though is that skulks often depend on the downtime during a marine reload as a safe time to attack, and minimizing or removing this vulnerability could remove this unique strategy from the game. Also, I do like your idea of imposing a reloading penalty.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm supporting keeping the riflebutt in the game to promote choice of attack between a broader range of options. Removing the stun will effectively make it a useless attack and no one will ever use it. Also I don't think the problem is the stun per se, I think its the stun followed by an instantly reloaded LMG. If the there was less chance of a marine using his LMG again after first trying to butt an alien, things may seem a little less infuriating.

The feedback issue, however, is undeniable. It is often very difficult to tell what happened.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The stun is terrible. One wonders how UWE, with the knowledge of NS1, decided to put this in the game. It's really annoying in comp games especially when you close the distance while emptying his lmg clip and barely getting hurt, then wham you get ######ed and just sit there while he reads and book and takes a pistol out and kills you.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->*wondering why this thread has gone on for so long*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

The stun is a bug, it should only daze/blur your vision and do the knockback.

<!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->*wanders off to the bug reporter, there will be hell to pay if it ain't reported*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1981369:date=Sep 21 2012, 04:15 PM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Sep 21 2012, 04:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see riflebutt melee gone completely. If you want to melee, use the axe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This. I've been saying it since itwas introduced, but as usual it's like talking to a developer-shaped-wall.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    You do know you're only stunned if you're struck with the rifle butt while in mid air right?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980718:date=Sep 20 2012, 08:42 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Sep 20 2012, 08:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. Just remove the stun from the game completely.
    It's one of the most horrible features of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except when Im playing marine.

<!--quoteo(post=1981376:date=Sep 21 2012, 11:28 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Sep 21 2012, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm supporting keeping the riflebutt in the game to promote choice of attack between a broader range of options. Removing the stun will effectively make it a useless attack and no one will ever use it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The cracked skull of many a skulk respectfully disagree, or they would if they could.

Id say leave the 20 dmg and maybe the knockback that it does but remove the stun.
    <!--quoteo(post=1982092:date=Sep 23 2012, 07:24 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Sep 23 2012, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The cracked skull of many a skulk respectfully disagree, or they would if they could.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Used exclusively by noobs. The knife does more damage, why would you possibly use the rifle butt?
  • SplicerSplicer Join Date: 2012-04-23 Member: 150952Members
    edited September 2012
    Tell you what, Marines can keep Stun if Aliens get Devour back :-)