ExtraEntitiesMod

Comments

• JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited January 2013
    @bp i tested your map.
    The door is exactly that big like its in the editor on my machine.

When i scale it so it fit in the whole, i'll be the same ingame.

I have set the editor to meters, dont know if this could be the problem, but the engine
    is rendering everything like it should.
    But what have you done with the map, faces outside where nobody can see them etc????
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062183:date=Jan 17 2013, 12:29 PM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Jan 17 2013, 12:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But what have you done with the map, faces outside where nobody can see them etc????<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Teehee. That stuff is occlusion geometry. Basically helps the game engine optimize what it has to draw for any given frame. It doesn't appear in game and is easily hideable in the editor.

I will have to try using meters to see if that helps with the doors. I kind of doubt it does though.. will see.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited January 2013
    this is totally epic!

proceeding to greybox an elevator shaft combat map :)

and then i might even do a proper outdoors map thanks to the view distance.

edit: i hope this goes official because ns2_maps desperately need this stuff!

Edit 2: is there anyway to stop the train from rotating? I just want it to be an elevator, but it seems to rotate itself cause it always wants to point forward to the next waypoint. It will spin 180 degress at each waypoint it stops at.

also if you have 2 way points directly above each other, the train gets stuck at the top most waypoint and wont come down - so to make an elevator i've had to place the waypoints about 8 units apart horizontally which looks a bit weird but it works :)
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited January 2013
    I will create a new entity for elevators, func_platform, soon
    (that also can only be triggered by a button, not by the platform itself like the train)
    The problem atm is the pathing of the entities which is a bit buggy, need to fix that first.
    <!--quoteo(post=2062523:date=Jan 18 2013, 09:12 PM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Jan 18 2013, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will create a new entity for elevators, func_platform, soon
    (that also can only be triggered by a button, not by the platform itself like the train)
    The problem atm is the pathing of the entities which is a bit buggy, need to fix that first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

cool!

hopefully you will put in some features so that you can still enable the func_platform with a weldable and also so that it rests for 5-10 seconds before moving again. (so people have time to get on)
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Well I tried changing my editor settings to use meters and it still showed doors too small in the editor for me. No idea what is up with that.

Anyway, back on the topic of falling damage, just how much control do you have over how it works?

Marines still take too much damage from short falls and too little damage from very long falls. Jetpacking marines take fall damage too and I'm not sure if this was intended or not (a decent jetpacker should be able to boost a bit before landing and be just fine).
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've created a weld entity loop for activating a phase gate for a set amount of time. I plan to put it into the assault map. works well but a small hitch there is no visual feedback on the weld entity when welding it. I've put in a 15 second weld value time, but you have no idea how long to weld for as there is no visual aid when welding the entity. ( like when welding a power node back too full health.

Also the weld target notification doesn't pop up if you have a welder equipped. I changed the prop to a smoking power pack so unless you made the map and know its a weldable. There is no indication that it is a weldable object.

I sent a friend request Via steam if you want to talk to me about it.
    Is there a way to trigger a sound to play?

e.g. I would like to have my elevator go "ding!" in a cheesy way when it stops at a floor.
    I opened up my hivesiege map again and found that once again I can't keep ARCs and MACs from driving through closed doors! I've tried putting occlusion geometry above, below, all around, and even in the middle of a door. No effect. I've tried making the door itself part of the occlusion geometry. No effect. Collision geometry. No effect.

And they're still appearing larger in game than in the map editor too.

*sigh*

If the pathing / door code is too hard to deal with, perhaps you could make it so teleporter entities can teleport AI units? (arcs, macs, drifters)

It isn't ideal, but it would let me salvage my map.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Stop wasting your time using occlusion geometry it's the wrong tool for the job.
    occlusion geometry hides the rest of the map from a players computer. It's only affects performace. increasing FPS by not drawing the parts of a map a player can't see.

Collision Geometry should work if you're using it correctly but it's permanent.
    I think you want a door that blocks when closed but lets units past when opened.

Possible work around:
    Props have a option to make collidable True/False to players.
    do AI units ignore the collidable true setting ? Because they shouldn't.

If they don't
    try Using the func_moveable entity - a movable prop for vent doors.

Try hiding a prop inside of the door blocking the path. It's a rough work around but it might work.
    Stop wasting your time using occlusion geometry it's the wrong tool for the job.

Indeed. I thought so too, but back a month ago, JimWest made this cryptic comment which I never understood:
    JimWest wrote: »
    And don't forget to build a block with the Group "OcclusionGeometry" at the door where the Arcs can drive.
    Try hiding a prop inside of the door blocking the path. It's a rough work around but it might work.

I will try this, thanks.
    @bp2008, check out docking, marine start and look at the door to landing pad, then you will see what i mean (at the door is OcclusionGeometry),
    with it it worked good for me with arcs etc.

Func_weldable makes now an effect when its welded and you get a weld waypoint when you near it.
    The train moves now really better, should not make any wild things anymore, will add a "rotatable" entry so you can also make elevators with it.

I will update the changes soon to workshop.
    @JimWest

I looked at docking at the landing pad door and I don't see anything particularly special about the occlusion geometry there. I've tried wrapping the doorways in occlusion geometry nearly as tightly.

Oh well. The only server that seems interested in running my siege map also runs ns2c where there are no moving AI units, so I guess it doesn't really matter that the doors aren't behaving for me.

Also,
    It looks like combat mode might be running an older / broken version of ExtraEntitiesMod. Doors on repeating timers aren't working properly in Combat but they are in EEM. I'm working on a new obstacle course map for combat mode that really makes heavy use of EEM. Particularly teleporters, doors, trains, and logic triggers. I won't be able to release until it works properly in Combat Mode, not just in EEM. :)
    edited February 2013
    @bp2008, oh Ok will look if I can update combat, need to find a better way for this.
    In docking its at the layer OcclusionMesh, its around the door (tied to OcclusionGeometry group)

OK Update is now on Workshop:
    - added logic_button to trigger things
    - added func_platform for doing elevator things (not perfect but a start)
    - changed some things to the trainmixin so the train will move now better
    - func_weldable now spawns weld waypoints and triggers an effect after welded 100%
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    You could expand the system probably quite a bit, though I don't know what exactly is possible in the Spark engine.

-Round Robin:
    A trigger that fires a different event from a list each time it is triggered. When it reaches the last entry in the list*, it starts over again.
    Real life example would be the Play/Pause button of a CD player, which performs a different action when you press it a second time compared to the first time.

-Gate:
    A trigger that only triggers the next event when it is in an "open" state. The Gate has two name tags: one for attempting to trigger the next event and one for toggling the "open" state of the Gate. An option would also be to just hold an incoming event until the Gate opens, so it's not a "Continue Only If Condition*" but rather a "Wait For Condition".

-Counter:
    You can expand your counter to allow to trigger different events based on the value of the counter variable. One event that triggers if the counter is < than the desired value, one that triggers when it's <= than the value, one that triggers when it's = to the value, one that triggers when it's >= than the value and one that triggers when it's > than the value.

Ideally you would have also an entity that can add a specific value to the counter value of a specific Counter entitiy. The value could also be negative, so you could subtract from the Counter too.

Does Spark btw understand only Trigger events or does it also feature UnTrigger events (so a different UnTrigger function is called in code when this "negative signal" is sent)?
    If the latter is the case, you could introduce all logic gates from digital circuits. (I did that in the Unreal Engine in the past - it can be quite useful in some specific situations like chaining two GameObjectives together with an AND Gate which sends a Trigger event as soon as both are under the control of the same team but which also sends an UnTrigger event as soon as the control over one objective is lost again).
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    Is it possible to trigger a change in a running cinematic or start a cinematic using weld trigger?

I know that button emitter is supposed to play a sound or cinematic but i want to use a weld trigger to turn on a teleport and play a cinematic, i got the teleport part working it seems but no luck with an combination of weld trigger, multiplier and button emitter seems to work.
    @Magneto, testing this atm, should be on workshop soon.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Hey JimWest, again great job on the mod. Is there anyway you could change worldtooltip to also be active in multiplayer mode?
    Cool changes JimWest looking forward to testing them out. :)
    @DarkSeraph, yeah I already thought about something like this.
    I've put it now in as "logic_worldtooltip". If youre close it and looking at it, a small text window will pop up (but the model is not visible in game, so you
    can place it near a door or something you want to explain).

have uploaded it now to workshop, also check my testmap eem_test_level to see how to use the entities.
    The logic_emitter and logic_listener is now also up, so you can link the cinematics and emitter entities with the logic ones.
    Wow that was fast, thanks, it works but for some reason cinematics don't keep playing either as loop or endless, im guessing it's an ns2 problem and not eem?
    Yeah thats a bug from ns2 but I have fixed it now, the effect will not be deleted if you select loop or endless. (now on workshop)
    You're amazing Jim, keep up the great work!
    edited February 2013
    Is it possible to make a massive door?

I've tried using movable and even cinematics so far with no luck, well i can create the effect i want with a cinematic but even with collidable set once it closes you can still pass through it and it can't be reversed, also there's still some issues with playback, if you go far away and return it plays from the start even when set to endless, also loops seem to stop after a while.

Edit: Also just found out that button trigger doesn't seem to work or maybe just in the readyroom, the area based trigger does but it somehow adds more and more cinematics if you keep stepping in it.

I couldn't get platform to work with waypoints, all named and setup correct as far as i can tell, theres no need to go fixing all this straight away if it's too much trouble or you're busy with other stuff, thanks.
    Jim, I'm getting some weird stuff, but no errors in console. When I try to use some of the entities, like logic_worldtooltip it doesn't show up at all. When I open the eem test map and test it, or even load it from in game, it doesn't match the current test map! pic here, dual monitor for comparison

I already removed all mods and redownloaded, same issue. Any idea what is going on here and how I can fix it?
    Hi its not working at combat, only at ExtraEntitiesMod, the combat mod isnt updated now.
    At combat theres the old map included, so it seems like you load the combat mod, but map with the extraentities editor_setup?
    edited March 2013
    I suspect you know already but gorgeous has broken some stuff, im getting console error spam and teleports have lost their default direction, cinematics don't loop properly and it's possible to play multiple copies of the same cinematic if you keep triggering, thanks for any fixes.
    OK fixed it now and uploaded it, had also some problems with the train but should work again now.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks, i've just tested again today with combat instead of eem and it seems welders aren't working in that, also cinematics still don't loop which means my phasegates don't work.

Here's the new workshop link if you'd like to test.
    Its working for me you can't just see the weld percentage at the welder,
    but if you weld it will trigger after 30s, i see the looping cinematic.