Resources for kills

124»

Comments

• PneumaticCrabPneumaticCrab Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10133Members
    rfk is really bad design. bye.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027386:date=Nov 18 2012, 01:08 AM:name=beyond.wudge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (beyond.wudge @ Nov 18 2012, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>Tarquinbb</i>

If the most PRes a player can get for himself is roughly 2 PRes per minute regardless of how much he kills (1 for first kill + 0.5 + 0.25 + 0.125 + etc) with 'lost' PRes given to his teammates I doubt farming 'noobs' is going to let him just 're-Fade' like you suggest.

After the first kill or two the amounts becomes quite small and if he keeps killing it simply gets lower and lower. The sharpness of the decline could even be steeper should that be necessary to mitigate the impact of the multikills you envision.

As for the issue of 'noobs' in the game, I think letting good players 'gift' weaker players PRes through their multikills is better than focusing the game around keeping good players from benefiting from those weaker players. Unless one side is far better than the other both sides will feature 'noobs' and issue will even out.

Honestly, making your LMG marine or skulk give very little res (half or a quarter of the normal amount) could do far more to keep weaker players from hurting the team than trying to protect 'the poor children' from the pressure of learning to play the game.

Same with giving the less combat capable marines and certain aliens more non-combat activities to keep them busy if they aren't any good at fighting yet.

<i>DanielD</i>

There are better ways of achieving that than keeping res for kills out of the game. Expanding the gameplay is wiser than munting it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

admirable brainstorming to solve the projected issues of RFK, but honestly it's starting to sound overly complicated and insignificant. plus it's not a reward for being skilled, because anyone can get a frag - why should everyone just get a free res for it? doesn't really make sense.

just use your skill to win your team an extra RT or defend an existing RT which is under attack, every extractor is 1.25 res per minute for your entire team. alternatively, kill enemy RT and remove 1.25 res per minute from their team. on top of that, your commander will gain 10 res per minute per RT.

i don't see any benefit from RFK... the game would be easier for better players... that's not a good thing. would it be a good thing if you were rocky balboa and had to fight against useless nits like miley cyrus, instead of a level playing field where you might fight ivan drago's?
  • maessemaesse Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71213Members
    RFK gives players a personal incentive to seek out kills. Currently there is no reason to go for kills unless it grants you map-control or hurts the marine economy. Counter-intuitively you are currently punished for being an aggressive player who dies (and kills) a lot. As a balls-to-the-walls kind of player, this is kind of annoying. My e-peen is doing great, as the khammander will often drop the first Onos egg for me.

There's two cool tweaks that could be made to RFK:

Resource for Score, where the score system is then tweaked to also account for assisting damage and all kind of other things.
    Resource for Kills distributed in a radius around the player, dota-style. Would actually increase incentive to stick together (or to run off alone and probably die).
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027848:date=Nov 18 2012, 01:58 PM:name=maesse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maesse @ Nov 18 2012, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RFK gives players a personal incentive to seek out kills. Currently there is no reason to go for kills unless it grants you map-control or hurts the marine economy. <b>Counter-intuitively you are currently punished for being an aggressive player who dies (and kills) a lot. As a balls-to-the-walls kind of player, this is kind of annoying. My e-peen is doing great, as the khammander will often drop the first Onos egg for me.</b>

There's two cool tweaks that could be made to RFK:

Resource for Score, where the score system is then tweaked to also account for assisting damage and all kind of other things.
    Resource for Kills distributed in a radius around the player, dota-style. Would actually increase incentive to stick together (or to run off alone and probably die).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

being an aggressive player is fine if you use your brain.

what i see in every pub server when i press 'C' is a cluster of braindead players fighting around a stupid and insignificant area of the map. they get some kills, but depending on the location they can end up dying a lot more but keep respawning and going straight back there with an inconceivable noob agenda.

why get involved in that noob clusterf*** ? both sides just respawn and get back into position before either side can get a foothold... it's a pointless waste of time. if you have a brain, go to the other side of the map and challenge the other players who actually have a brain for a more satisfying game - or if their team doesn't give you a challenge then you can claim the rest of the map for free and steamroll with eco/tech advantage.
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027869:date=Nov 18 2012, 09:29 AM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 18 2012, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->being an aggressive player is fine if you use your brain.

what i see in every pub server when i press 'C' is a cluster of braindead players fighting around a stupid and insignificant area of the map. they get some kills, but depending on the location they can end up dying a lot more but keep respawning and going straight back there with an inconceivable noob agenda.

why get involved in that noob clusterf*** ? both sides just respawn and get back into position before either side can get a foothold... it's a pointless waste of time. if you have a brain, go to the other side of the map and challenge the other players who actually have a brain for a more satisfying game - or if their team doesn't give you a challenge then you can claim the rest of the map for free and steamroll with eco/tech advantage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Essentially its the theory of cannon fodder. If you have a few good players listening to orders and taking the map. While a few idiots keep applying pressure to the same place. You are keeping the attention toward the people making the noise. So the opposing team will tend to concentrate more heavily on them. While the quiet useful guyss can keep gaining more and more territory.

----

My alternative solution for Resource for Kills - Based on Score system - <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124602&view=findpost&p=2026916" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2026916</a>
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    edited November 2012
    But really res for kills isn't the problem for many people. Often it is underlying issues of teamwork/map co-ordination and player culture.