Vortex and You

2»

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2032987:date=Nov 23 2012, 01:31 PM:name=Timarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Timarius @ Nov 23 2012, 01:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had a new idea last night. Why not make vortex a ranged pull? The vortex hits the marine, and forces the marine to teleport to the Fade. This would help the Fade pull enemies into an engagement they're not prepared for, as well as help the Fade kill off important marine troops (jetpackers with grenade launchers or flamethrowers). It would certainly make the Fade more intimidating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Until you pull in a shotgunner who only has to look in the direction he's being pulled to shoot you in the face...

There was an idea above I really liked:

Combining the area of effect vortex with the specific vortex we have now - an inverse vortex.

Hitting a player or structure with the vortex attack leaves the victim untouched (or maybe a standard attack's worth of damage muahah), but instigates an area of effect vortex around them. Nearby marine players/structures get vortexed out for a short time. A way to isolate the vortexee for attacking... This could be super powerful, so should cost a LOT of energy and have a significant cooldown - BUT as a tier 3 ability on a paper thin unit... I'm actually liking the idea. Doesn't need to have a HUGE area of effect to still be very useful, and would give some purpose to the fades in the late game, where currently they're next to pointless.

Roo
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033004:date=Nov 23 2012, 10:58 AM:name=Roobubba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roobubba @ Nov 23 2012, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Until you pull in a shotgunner who only has to look in the direction he's being pulled to shoot you in the face...

There was an idea above I really liked:

Combining the area of effect vortex with the specific vortex we have now - an inverse vortex.

Hitting a player or structure with the vortex attack leaves the victim untouched (or maybe a standard attack's worth of damage muahah), but instigates an area of effect vortex around them. Nearby marine players/structures get vortexed out for a short time. A way to isolate the vortexee for attacking... This could be super powerful, so should cost a LOT of energy and have a significant cooldown - BUT as a tier 3 ability on a paper thin unit... I'm actually liking the idea. Doesn't need to have a HUGE area of effect to still be very useful, and would give some purpose to the fades in the late game, where currently they're next to pointless.

Roo<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I continue to advocate having the shotgun halved in damage, doubled in ROF, and getting an increased reload speed. And the other idea for Vortex I threw out was bringing back the shoulder arm for Fades and making that shoot out little Vortex balls that Vortex whatever marine or marine structure they hit. One Vortex affected enemy per Fade.

Either way, the Fade needs a slight buff to HP and armor. It doesn't need to be tanky, but it doesn't need to be two shotgun shots paper thin, either.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    the current vortex is simply bad game design

as pointed out before by triggerman : <a href="http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/counter-play" target="_blank">counter play</a>

it would be so much better if the marine/s inside the vortex and the fade could fight it out without any outside interference during the duration of the vortex.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Its decided then, everyone likes that idea. :)
    (even tech who seemed to not read it)

It will fit the fade well both in role and allowing it to scale late game and actually contribute. And hey.. vortexing an A3/W3 shotgunner with a JP still doesn't guarantee victory whatsoever - especially after the energy you just used to vortex him - but at least you don't have to survive the entire group anymore.

Make it an interesting metagame too by making it so that once the target is killed vortex is immediately disabled, so that you have to plan your exit still, requiring a bit more skill.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032364:date=Nov 22 2012, 01:56 PM:name=ComboBreaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ComboBreaker @ Nov 22 2012, 01:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arms lab Vortexing in the right moment is a hit right in the marine's crotch.

Also,I was a victim of phase gate vortex.Annoying as hell.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's just too hard to hit a 5 second window of vulnerability. If it were 15 seconds it would get to the point where it's very destructive.