Custom map playtest sessions

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
  • IkkishIkkish Sweden Join Date: 2014-02-02 Member: 193745Members
    Hello, can I join? :D
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Ikkish wrote: »
    Hello, can I join? :D

Everyone is free to join the SCC Map Playtests, but you need to hurry the server gets pretty fast full sometimes.

Best would be to join the public SCC steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SCC-P) and to add the server to your favs ;)
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited February 2014
    Right quite a lot of new stuff tonight guys, So if you have anything that needs testing now's the time to say!
    So far we've got new builds for:
    Nothing, Fracture, Kodiak, Ayumi, Station T-10 and Caged
    then we'll end on an update for skulks with shotguns and maybe a new map or two there!

@Ikkish - For Sundays its first come first serve that is unless you're an active mapper. You are always welcome to come and we'd love to see you there so just try join early and bookmark the server for a quick rejoin if a dodgy map crashes it :D
  • IkkishIkkish Sweden Join Date: 2014-02-02 Member: 193745Members
    Everyone is free to join the SCC Map Playtests, but you need to hurry the server gets pretty fast full sometimes.

Best would be to join the public SCC steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SCC-P) and to add the server to your favs ;)
    Howser wrote: »
    @Ikkish - For Sundays its first come first serve that is unless you're an active mapper. You are always welcome to come and we'd love to see you there so just try join early and bookmark the server for a quick rejoin if a dodgy map crashes it :D

Cool!
    I'll definitely bookmark the server :)
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How did the Sunday play session go on Nothing @Howser? Any thoughts or feedback?
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm going to make sure I stream every game I play in these sessions. I will reply to Nothing when I am less tired. I commanded that game as Marines and we won it, as reference.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CyberKun wrote: »
    I'm going to make sure I stream every game I play in these sessions. I will reply to Nothing when I am less tired. I commanded that game as Marines and we won it, as reference.

Awesome. Looking forward to check the sessions out.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I did video my participation the other day, but unfortunately I joined after the match on nothing had finished, as I was late to the party :D
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    under an hour to go....
    we've got two new NS1 map converts: Machina and sheeva
    updates for fracture, ayumi needs further testing too... So what else slackers!?
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    This is a great initiative! I´ve seen the server, but never knew there were actual play testing sessions. Wondering about the possibility for a couple of round on my new creation(first alpha) ns2_mineral this Sunday? I want to make it viable for competitive play(am in a team myself), but it seems hard to organize a competitive play test with everyone busy playing pcws.

Thread
    Workshop
    Mod ID: d87397

It´s not much yet, just dev textures and square everything. Trying not to fall into the trap of detailing loads of stuff and then realizing that the layout is bad.

When do the testing sessions usually start? (I am in Norway btw, so GMT+1)
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @kabelen, they normally start around your 9pm I think (my 9am), but people join the mumble chat before then, so the sooner the better. As for calling it competitive...

Well, Flat can shoot I guess :P
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    It doesn't matter if this setting is competitive. I just meant I want to do competitive testing mostly. But I need to start somewhere. The team players seem to not want to play a first alpha of things, not so much at least. I've had some teams being interested, but not so much.

9pm is also usually PCW time for my clan and I've missed all the matches the last 2 weeks because of planning and working on this map, as well as trying to set up a test server on my new haswell(no GPU) machine.

I'll try to make it for 9pm on Sunday though, would be nice to hang out with like minded people who share the same passion for level design!
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Dragonmist is right, it starts at 21:00 CET. Our tests are far from a competitive standard, but like you said, convincing comp teams to play anything other than the current comp maps can be... difficult. ;)
    As long as it's possible to test line of sight stuff and other general things around the map like length of routes from tech point to tech point etc. it should be very good!

I added you @Flaterectomy and @Howser on steam as well as joined the public Spark Crafter Collective group. My steam name is Master G.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    dragonmith wrote: »
    @kabelen, they normally start around your 9pm I think (my 9am), but people join the mumble chat before then, so the sooner the better. As for calling it competitive...

Well, Flat can shoot I guess :P
    Dragonmist is right, it starts at 21:00 CET. Our tests are far from a competitive standard, but like you said, convincing comp teams to play anything other than the current comp maps can be... difficult. ;)

Also, as dragonsmith said: Install mumble for insta-feedback! (during the test)

(sorry :D )
    I have mumble installed, we use it in my team! :) just need the server details, but I'm sure we don't want to be posting them here so I'll just wait to be accepted :D
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The mumble details are in the Steam Group's overview. :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    So what are we playing tonight? Assuming I get there on time and not half-way through as usual...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    So what are we playing tonight? Assuming I get there on time and not half-way through as usual...

I don't see why not

I don't see why not

???

I don't see why not

???

I don't see why there shouldn't be a playtest tonight.
    Same time, same place ,every week, every Sunday! We got to test a new map ns2_minerals.. What else we got?
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Tonight we have Minerals, new hotdog. And im currently frantically looking if we have anything else.

We will finish the night with SWS as always.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    What about UncleCrunch's map? Station t10 or something like that...
    Howser wrote: »
    -snip-

Yeah, we should probably stop talking about the map before even playing it <.< (guilty here, too.)

A way to avoid this would be jumping straight into the game... without looking at it for five minutes first. This could be disorienting, though. And you'd probably need designated commanders for several games in a row.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    pfft

this should also include no admin abuse in that case (howser!)!!!!!!!!!! :)
    sv_perma_ban_player: loki
    ah sorry wrong window :)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    There are some matches where even a layperson can tell that one team is completely dominating the other. When this happens, it just seems to me that it's time wasted when we could be testing the map with more even teams. (I also think there should be conceding before 10 minutes allowed, as I've seen several rounds on this server that were definitively over in <5 minutes, so the losing team is forced to just screw around for at least 5 minutes).

However, these are all just symptoms of unbalanced teams, and either way this doesn't give quality feedback for the maps.