Mods, where cheats begin !

1235»

Comments

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I don't mind people who use neon textures and models at all. I'm not interested in comparing my skills against theirs on a level playing field. That's not why I play.

In fact, I wish that fewer servers used integrity checking, because it means I can't use my own custom skins. Those skins don't give me an advantage at all; in fact, they put me at a disadvantage because they are almost entirely black (Dread Guard Aliens and 5th Recon Marines). But I like the way they look. It makes the game more fun.

I do object to wallhacks and aimbots. I doesn't bother me that they are cheating; I object simply because the game becomes completely unplayable against such opponents.

If I played in competitive league games it would be a different story, but even there I find some of the distinctions pro players make between changes-which-are-cheating and changes-which-are-perfectly-okay-and-of-course-expected-from-all-pro-players to be, well, frankly bizarre. But that's fine. Their games, their competitions, their rules.
  • WiwiwebWiwiweb Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183743Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Someone here got the idea of a whitelist that developers could add to. This would completely block unfair mods, but it would also be a lot of work for developers, since 95% of mods are not unfair and should be on the whitelist.

This got me thinking about a community vote system.
    Players could vote for each mod, either "fair" or "unfair". A mod with more than 70% of "fair" votes would be allowed on pure servers.

Here's a few scenarios :
    1) A new Hello Kitty skin is created. At first, it is not whitelisted as it has 0 votes. Some players start using it, and since they want to have it on pure servers, they vote "fair". Thus the skin of now whitelisted. Even if a few trolls vote "unfair", they would not outnumber the others.
    2) A mod that removes all exosuit HUD is created. At first, maybe a few bad people would install the mod and vote "fair", which would whitelist the unfair mod. Eventually though, the mod rises through the workshop ranks and gets noticed by honest players, who will vote "unfair" and remove it from whitelist.

Scenario 2 is a bit more tricky as it relies on players not using the mod to vote on it, but it's easy to think about additions that could prevent this initial whitelisting (minimum number of votes for whitelisting, "recently whitelisted mods" list...).

On a technical point of view, I'm not sure how this would work with Steam Workshop.
    In the best of worlds, I think Valve should implement something like this for all workshop games (TF2 has quite a few unfair skins, and sv_pure 1 is a nuclear option that prevents even fair mods). However here it would have to be external. This is just an idea so far, and might not be possible.
  • KripttKriptt Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178460Members
    Wiwiweb wrote: »
    This got me thinking about a community vote system.

Still a need of Dev but this idea is crazy, I truely like it ^.^

One question remains. Maybe I simply miss it, I do apologize I'm at work I can confirm anything.

Why I can't play the game in its official way ? can I filter Integrity Checking ?

This game is a competitive game, saying otherwise is like saying that mods aren't part of Natural selection. So here comes again this simple question.

Why I can't play it the "offical" way ?

**Maybe there are a way and I miss it, this is why I'm asking ;)
  • JibeknJibekn Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183778Members
    Ive only been playing since christmas, and I would never have imagined that modded models and textures would be allowed on any server in the default listing, its just.. stupid. No wonder there always someone who you can never hide from.

How can i setup my filters to be sure that ill never join a server with the ability to mod models and textures again?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited March 2013
    But i want my HEV marine skins!
    Garfu wrote: »
    It's really not necessary to mention that you're not a white player. The community is very open to all types of players, gay/straight, white/black, etc. It's not good form to single yourself out in your first post as being in a minority.
    Swing and a miss!