Exploitation. Here we go.

|strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
I've taken enough heat over this that I think it requires its own thread. If for nothing else than to simply try and save what little face I had left on this forum, in some misguided and pointless way.

So, what do you consider an exploit?

Here are some things that I consider exploits:
Multiple speed boosts off the same wall as skulk
Running up near vertical surfaces as marine
Hiding inside the hives model as marine
Locking yourself inside the command station as a skulk

Note: By no stretch of the imagination do I view these as cheats. If I did, I would clearly label them as "cheats", or possibly "hacks". Exploits are not cheats, nor are they hacks. A good example of a widely accepted exploit in a game is bunny hopping in the goldsource engine. While this exploit was widely accepted and used by almost all players, it was still, none the less, an exploit, and should continue to be labeled as such. This does not mean that I view myself as superior to players who use these exploits, nor does it mean that I myself do not make liberal use of them. It simply means that they are exploits in the games intended mechanisms.

Comments

• CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    You're having too hard of a time distinguishing between unintentional and undesirable.

Play the game, use what's available to you, and if it's really that bad either the game will die or be fixed. It's not that complicated.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited February 2013
    Canucck wrote: »
    You're having too hard of a time distinguishing between unintentional and undesirable.

Play the game, use what's available to you, and if it's really that bad either the game will die or be fixed. It's not that complicated.

Surely such a standpoint ignores emergence?

Bunnyhopping was all but encorporated into NS1. Dare I say the game may have been balanced around it in some cases. That is an example of an exploit not strictly requiring a "fix" or for the game to die. In fact one could probably say that a vast percentage of all cases of gameplay emergence are exploits in one form or another. Denying in dota is another example that comes to mind.

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Yea, exploits are annoying, but non of the ones listed are game breakers.

Speed boosts of the same wall? Maybe I'm not getting the picture but that seems fine to me? Jump off wall -> speed boost -> well timed second jump that maintains speed back to wall -> Jump off again for more speed? If that what you're describing, sounds fine.
    With the exception of the skylights vent on veil, marine mountain climbing is fairly useless beyond amusement. Heck, I think its intentional or at least acceptable on veil since it been known forever and never fixed.
    Hiding under the hive I assume? Annoying from the khamm's perspective since its hard to figure out where the hive is being hit from. Once spotted, skulk food.
    Getting a skulk inside the CC is pretty bad, but thankfully rare. It requires some degree of either skulk badassery and timing, marine incompetence, or luck. The comm can always get out, though sometimes they don't realize they need to until the CC is rather farked.

OT, back in beta, the CC would kill any aliens it closed on. Just like how it kills marines. No idea why it went away. One of my favorite memories was when we were getting our asses kicked on veil. Nobody was in the CC, everyone was fighting. One onos started after me. I ran to the CC and hit log in then jumped over the front. It was the worlds biggest bear trap.
    Forgot a bit.

What really bugs me is scripts and macros. I don't like em, not one bit. I can live with one's that are feasible to do w/o the script/macro. But when I see scripts and macros that obviously do more/faster things than any person could do, they bug the shit outta me.

I feel less like I'm playing against a person and more like a robot with a bunch of "I win" buttons.
    thefonz wrote: »
    Forgot a bit.

What really bugs me is scripts and macros. I don't like em, not one bit. I can live with one's that are feasible to do w/o the script/macro. But when I see scripts and macros that obviously do more/faster things than any person could do, they bug the shit outta me.

I feel less like I'm playing against a person and more like a robot with a bunch of "I win" buttons.

I think most of that can be classified as a hack. For example, emptying a pistol clip in under half a second with a click macro is essentially modifying the users input using software. That's about as clear cut a definition of a hack as they come.

• TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I hate these relentlessly idiotic posts about why bunnyhopping should be viewed as an exploit in NS1. It's just tired, boring and wrong. There are probably a million little quirks in engines that produce unintended side-effects that you can crudely label as exploits but it's stupid to do so. As soon as a game deliberately leaves it in (NS ended up being built around it because it was so damn good), it becomes working as intended and everyone should be quiet. The word "exploit" only serves to fuel armies of ignorant pitchforkers. Stop being their leader.
    Tweadle wrote: »
    I hate these relentlessly idiotic posts about why bunnyhopping should be viewed as an exploit in NS1. It's just tired, boring and wrong. There are probably a million little quirks in engines that produce unintended side-effects that you can crudely label as exploits but it's stupid to do so. As soon as a game deliberately leaves it in (NS ended up being built around it because it was so damn good), it becomes working as intended and everyone should be quiet. The word "exploit" only serves to fuel armies of ignorant pitchforkers. Stop being their leader.

I'm not going to use a different language simply because some word definitions in English offend people.

• ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This thread is just a flame war waiting to happen, Should just be locked now
    NS2 is probably 90% "exploit" then.
    Tweadle wrote: »
    NS2 is probably 90% "exploit" then.

Well the topic did state that you should state whatever you view as an exploit. Why not give your input?

• MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    edited February 2013
    Be polite. -Talesin
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited February 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »
    So, what do you consider an exploit?
    Before we ask the question, perhaps we should define the term 'exploit', since semantics is everything here.

What needs to be asked *before* you ask whether something is an exploit, is whether someone is using a game mechanic in a manner not intended by the developer/mapper.
    Multiple speed boosts off the same wall as skulk
    The developers have fixed this before, so it is reasonable to assume this is indeed not an intended game mechanic.
    I assume you're talking about places like Crevice on Summit and Elevator Transfer in Tram? This is a bit of a grey area imho. If it is something that has been around a while, then I would think the mappers are aware of it. In that case, if they are aware of it (and multiple map fixes have been released) then either they don't consider it a big issue, or it is working as intended.
    Hiding inside the hives model as marine
    I'm going to disagree here, since if a marine can get under a hive, so can a skulk. This is another example of asking the question, did developers intend this? Well, seeing as they made the collision box, and the mapper made the map, then I think both knew exactly what they were doing. They could have made it higher or lower, but they didn't. Why? Clearly this is not an issue they are concerned with.
    This seems to be more silliness than anything. I've never actually seen it first hand, so I'm not sure why it's a big deal. If a comm enters the chair and a skulk comes with him, he can log out. If he is somehow dying *inside* the command chair, and the chair isn't opening back up, then this is a bug, not an exploit. (frankly the comm shouldn't be getting out of the chair in such a case, but that's another matter entirely.)

In the end, I would only consider the skulk speed boost to be an 'exploit' imho.

I think we need to be careful in throwing the 'exploit' word around, since it is a pejorative term.
    edited February 2013
    I just did. I've made it clear that I think the way you define and utilise the word "exploit" is dumb and why. Be polite. -Talesin
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This thread kind of makes me wish I didn't say anything in the other one. You might be using the word the correct way but you're clearly just trying to start shit at this point.
    This thread kind of makes me wish I didn't say anything in the other one. You might be using the word the correct way but you're clearly just trying to start shit at this point.

Look at my posts, then look at yours, and ask yourself who is trying to start what.

You can learn a lot about yourself and others, if you just take the time.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Savant wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about places like Crevice on Summit and Elevator Transfer in Tram? This is a bit of a grey area imho. If it is something that has been around a while, then I would think the mappers are aware of it. In that case, if they are aware of it (and multiple map fixes have been released) then either they don't consider it a big issue, or it is working as intended.
    This is actually an issue with the collision system. Which in effect upped the performance compared to the system before it, but added some odd bugs like that. If the mappers block it off with invisible walls it would affect skulk wall walking to some extent.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    To me exploiting something that you technically can do, but makes you look like leech for game rules.
    wikipedia:
    Depending on context, leeching (exploiting) does not necessarily refer to illegal use of computer resources (hacking), but often instead to greedy use (of mechanics) according to etiquette
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    @Tweadle All you've done is rant, you haven't 'explained' anything at all. You have an opinion, and it seems some other people disagree. The developers have repeatedly worked on how skulks move around, and they're not finished either if comments they have made are any indication.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Exploiting is bending the games laws in a way never intended by the developers.
    This seems to be more silliness than anything. I've never actually seen it first hand, so I'm not sure why it's a big deal. If a comm enters the chair and a skulk comes with him, he can log out. If he is somehow dying *inside* the command chair, and the chair isn't opening back up, then this is a bug, not an exploit. (frankly the comm shouldn't be getting out of the chair in such a case, but that's another matter entirely.)

I have seen skulks get entirely inside the CC such that no part was exposed to be shot. The only way to get the skulk out is for the comm to log out so it can be killed. Otherwise your CC gets chewed to death from the inside.

Thankfully, skulks getting even partially in the CC is incredibly rare.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    This is actually an issue with the collision system. Which in effect upped the performance compared to the system before it, but added some odd bugs like that. If the mappers block it off with invisible walls it would affect skulk wall walking to some extent.

I notice you guys didn't mention Veil/Skylights. I take it that is working as intended then? Sorry to badger the point, I simply don't know and I am curious.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If skylights wasn't intended, it'd be long gone by now, EVERYONE knows about it, it's not like it was an oversight.
    thefonz wrote: »
    I notice you guys didn't mention Veil/Skylights. I take it that is working as intended then? Sorry to badger the point, I simply don't know and I am curious.
    You mean that metal plate laying against the wall? Intended. The mappers often put things near vents to allow marines to get into them in particular cases. In this case a skulk could go back and forth between Skylights and Overlook uncontested before jetpacks are researched if that metal plate wasn't there.

It's similar to the room east of Flow Control on the way to Transit in Refinery. You'll see a pile of crates on the north wall to enable a marine to enter the vent.

It's actually possible for mappers to make vents that are 'marine proof', since a crouching marine is 2 units taller than a skulk. So if they really want to prevent marines from getting into vents, they can do so without blocking skulks from using it.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    The ns_veil mapper has expressedly stated that he intentionally left the Skylights thing in IIRC
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    If skylights wasn't intended, it'd be long gone by now, EVERYONE knows about it, it's not like it was an oversight.

Being able to climb things like the rocks in crevice for example are the engine physics issues. Skylights may apply here but I'm not certain as I don't even know who is mapping Veil anymore :(
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    edited February 2013
    Locklear wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Being able to climb things like the rocks in crevice for example are the engine physics issues. Skylights may apply here but I'm not certain as I don't even know who is mapping Veil anymore :(

Then remove the map.
  • senatesenate Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75023Members
    OP I agree with you. But UWE does not have the resources to take those out immediately. Unless a substantial amount of players thought it a gamebreaking mechanic. Right now they are using their resources toward the Feb. content patch.
    Thanks for clarifying, I figured it was in at this point. The thing is, it just doesn't look like your supposed to be able to do it. I frequently find players who are amazed when I climb up into the vent. IMO, if skylights gets worked on again for some reason, a little more clarity would be nice. Angle the plate a bit more, etc or something.
    In regards to crevice, etc. Could a texture be flagged with a "no walk" marker so marines ccan't climb it? Could there also be a flag for aliens that is applied to the "clear texture" ? To fix skulks walking and lerks roosting on the air in places such as courtyard and crevice?
    I think the idea of exploits strictly being things "unintended" by the developers can be a sketchy definition at times.

For example, in BF3 you get a thing called a MAV, which is basically meant to be this little flying reconnaissance vehicle that lets you see whats going on in the game. After not to much time had passed, a number of people realized that if you collided with a player hard enough, you could kill them. Eventually I was getting more kills with my MAV than players were getting with their guns.
    So, after an extensive open beta period, and months of gameplay after official release, the ability to do this was, for all intents and purposes, removed.

So at what point did it become an exploit?
    It was more than obvious that, for quite a long time, the devs expressly did not view it as an exploit, as it remained in the game time and time again. Then all of a sudden it was removed.
    ...What the fuck are you talking about? Just because it was removed doesn't mean it was an exploit, if the devs didn't say it was an exploit, then changed it, that automatically makes it an exploit?