(!) Let's enjoy playing NS2 once again. AltBalance.

14567810»

Comments

• BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members
    Sooo, Gorgeous is out, it's pretty cool. But modding never stops :D

Today I transfered mod on to build 240. And you'll see several good features tomorrow. One of them - I've finally found out how to control which exo to drop :D Also, it will adress many issues from Update. Like Lerk's smoke trails. Tried several ways and found how to remove it painlessly.
    Hey, guys! Look at this. Several more fixed/tweaked issues.

Current version: 2.2

Features:
    -Aliens-
    1. Onos requires 3 hives and cannot be dropped by Khammander. Stomp not available. Fade requires 2 hives. Fade costs 40 res, onos - 80.
    2. Bilebomb: -20% damage.(now official)
    3. Hallucinations x2 HP.
    4. Evolution Structures cost 10 res, Evolutions cost 15 res. Shift Hatch costs 3 res.
    5. Crags heal 33% slower.
    6. Xenocide, Umbra and Vortex are available at Second Hive. All abilities cost 30 res to research.
    7. Carapace nerfed. Gorge 100(150), Fade 75(100), Onod 700(900).
    8. Nerfed whip's grenade Whack ability. Whip costs 10/10.
    9. Gorge's Tunnel requires infestation.
    10. Lerk's smoke trails removed.
    11. Babblers live infinite time and ride targeted ally for 1 minute.

-Marines-
    1. Advanced Armory is free to reaserch. Research time increased to 3 minutes. Limit: 2 per room max. Flamethrower and Grenadelauncher: 20 res each.
    2. Jetpack tech and jetpacks +5 res cost.
    3. Sentry. 1 per room, doesn't require power, can be built on infestation, 7 damage, 7 res.
    4. Batteries work as small reserve power sources for structures. 1 per room, small radius, 7 res. Don't need Robotics to use.
    5. Phase Gates are limited to 3 per map. Use them wisely.
    6. ARCs HP reduced to 1500, damage reduced by 35%.
    7. Nanoshield: 35% dmg reduction and 60 sec cooldown.
    8. Exos can crush cysts now. Exos prices adjusted to 40/70.
    9. Dual Railgun Exos are available.
    10. Pistol reworked. Now it's an alternative primary weapon. Buy it at armory.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    BigTracer wrote: »

Ah shiiiiiiiiiit.

Where do I find this wonderful server? Handguns are my favorite kind of gun, but outside of Max Payne 3, video games seem to hate my love of pistols.

Kopikat wrote: »

Ah shiiiiiiiiiit.

Where do I find this wonderful server? Handguns are my favorite kind of gun, but outside of Max Payne 3, video games seem to hate my love of pistols.

In my signature :D
  • Zenn3kZenn3k Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183506Members
    "Overpriced marine tech tree" is lawl inducing.
    Zenn3k wrote: »
    "Overpriced marine tech tree" is lawl inducing.

Basically it's fine. But aliens are developing too fast, so rines need some boost.
  • AlregardAlregard Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156903Members
    Im not sure if a nerf to carapace is a wise idea. And what about making shade hive and maybe reg more attractive?
    +1 for babbler and lerk changes ofc.

Ah shiiiiiiiiiit.

Edit: Forgot to mention. It's an alternative Basic weapon. So, it's free.

Alregard wrote: »
    Im not sure if a nerf to carapace is a wise idea. And what about making shade hive and maybe reg more attractive?

Look carefully. Resulting armory of Aliens with Cara is the same. Basic Armor values are higher, to make carapace itself less important.

Ah shiiiiiiiiiit.

Look carefully. Resulting armory of Aliens with Cara is the same. Basic Armor values are higher, to make carapace itself less important.

Instead of making the only good ability, bad. Make the other abilities better. You're making the same mistakes UWE is making.
    edited March 2013

Ah shiiiiiiiiiit.

Instead of making the only good ability, bad. Make the other abilities better. You're making the same mistakes UWE is making.

Regen is pretty crazy as it is. Silence/Camo? What can you improve here? Celerity/Adren are good too. I want to stay inside NS2 conception. Of course, it's possible to overhaul the whole system, but that wouldn't be NS2 then.

Edit: Look. It's not worse now. You get higher basic armor values, so Carapace is not the best option now. Other options are good as well. In addition you get all abilities available for research at second hive.

Edit2: Actually, I might think of another version of carapace.
    edited March 2013

Ah shiiiiiiiiiit.

Regen is pretty crazy as it is. Silence/Camo? What can you improve here? Celerity/Adren are good too. I want to stay inside NS2 conception. Of course, it's possible to overhaul the whole system, but that wouldn't be NS2 then.

Look. It's not worse now. You get higher basic armor values, so Carapace is not the best option now. Other options are good as well. In addition you get all abilities available for research at second hive.

Whats "crazy" about a slow "crag" on your back that doesn't work in combat? Regen is only useful for a lerk harass, otherwise, no, its trash.

Well, Silence is fine. Camo is terrible, changing it back to pre-gorge update would be good, its so easily hard-countered by obs anyway. You could remove the celerity nerf, that would be an important one as well. You could also change adrenaline back to increased regeneration of energy instead of just a bigger pool like it was in NS1. The bigger pool is crap.

Ah shiiiiiiiiiit.

Look. It's not worse now. You get higher basic armor values, so Carapace is not the best option now. Other options are good as well. In addition you get all abilities available for research at second hive.

Whats "crazy" about a slow "crag" on your back that doesn't work in combat? Regen is only useful for a lerk harass, otherwise, no, its trash.

Well, Silence is fine. Camo is terrible, changing it back to pre-gorge update would be good, its so easily hard-countered by obs anyway. You could remove the celerity nerf, that would be an important one as well. You could also change adrenaline back to increased regeneration of energy instead of just a bigger pool like it was in NS1. The bigger pool is crap.

Thanks for valuable info. I didn't know some of those points. I'll look into it!

You mentioned Celerity nerf. What do you mean?
    edited March 2013

Ah shiiiiiiiiiit.

Thanks for valuable info. I didn't know some of those points. I'll look into it!

Celerity was changed to not work "in combat". So if you take a bullet of damage, you slow down. If you bite an enemy or structure, you slow down. It makes celerity effectively a "travel only" upgrade, which is pretty crappy in a game about combat.

Ah shiiiiiiiiiit.

Celerity was changed to not work "in combat". So if you take a bullet of damage, you slow down. If you bite an enemy, you slow down. It makes celerity effectively a "travel only" upgrade, which is pretty crappy in a game about combat.

Thank you. I find all of your points attractive and fitting. I'm gonna continue modding right away.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Sometimes, BigTracer, you sound like a spam bot on some random blog. Just saying.
    Sometimes, BigTracer, you sound like a spam bot on some random blog. Just saying.

Be polite and constructive @ get called a spam bot.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Hehe. I bet he wouldn't pass the turing test. ^^

Anyway to stay constructive: Changing adrenaline back would just increase the redundancy. And we have already enough of this. Shifts are now your energy regen thing. Deal with it.

Camo could be made viable when obs wouldn't hard counter it. Instead let camo counter obs. Aliens stay invisible and being not detected by an obs. That would make camo really viable again without making it worse for the single marine on the ground that has to fight it.
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Hehe. I bet he wouldn't pass the turing test. ^^

Anyway to stay constructive: Changing adrenaline back would just increase the redundancy. And we have already enough of this. Shifts are now your energy regen thing. Deal with it.

Camo could be made viable when obs wouldn't hard counter it. Instead let camo counter obs. Aliens stay invisible and being not detected by an obs. That would make camo really viable again without making it worth for the single marine on the ground that has to fight it.

Okay, now step away from my laptop :D That's what I wanted to do at the beginning, but got distracted by other things. I'm changing camo right now.
    Horrible, HORRIBLE idea. You'd have to scan base and every other room every 10 seconds and would end up never getting any upgrades. Leave camo as useless as it is or come up with something that actually makes sense.
    Horrible, HORRIBLE idea. You'd have to scan base and every other room every 10 seconds and would end up never getting any upgrades. Leave camo as useless as it is or come up with something that actually makes sense.

I have a balanced solution for this, don't worry. Need to test it now.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It all depends on how far you go. You could keep the minimap dot for example. Or even the motion circle... That needs testing.

Wrong

1 Obs spots every cloaked alien within a major area. You almost NEVER need to scan.

If the aliens go camo, just make Obs the first structure after the power node and you've hard countered the ability.

Please learn the game.

• JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    Making camo useful is a terrible idea. It's one ability that firmly deserves to be useless. Camo being visible again when moving is probably the best change made in the recent patch.
    Making camo useful is a terrible idea. It's one ability that firmly deserves to be useless. Camo being visible again when moving is probably the best change made in the recent patch.

I like 240 camo change too. But it still needs some love. And I've got some.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

It shouldn't be completely useless but it actually has a way to be punished now by the player without scans.

Wrong

1 Obs spots every cloaked alien within a major area. You almost NEVER need to scan.

If the aliens go camo, just make Obs the first structure after the power node and you've hard countered the ability.

Please learn the game.

Please learn to read.
    Phew. Patch 2.3: "Combat Evolutions"

Changelog:
    -Celerity is active under fire and set to 20%.
    -Regeneration is active under fire and numbers readjusted.
    -Camouflage - nerfed Observatory detection radius by 33% and scan's radius by 50%.
    -Hallucinations don't get destroyed on Scan.

Looks small, but took a lot of time to set this.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited March 2013
    BigTracer:

Do you have a list of subscriptions?
    As your thread is going on 10 pages I'm curious to know how popular it is

I personally am fine with the current balance in NS:2 except for maybe 1 or 2 things

Just looking at your list Xenocide at Tier 2 is too powerful and as such I stopped reviewing the list there

If you've already argued this point within your thread I can only imagine that we play/run with different crowds

The regulars on my server usually rush it once the 3rd hive is up as it usually ends games very quickly even against fully upgraded Marines

-
    BigTracer:

Do you have a list of subscriptions?
    As your thread is going on 10 pages I'm curious to know how popular it is

I personally am fine with the current balance in NS:2 except for maybe 1 or 2 things

Just looking at your list Xenocide at Tier 2 is too powerful and as such I stopped reviewing the list there

If you've already argued this point within your thread I can only imagine that we play run with crowds

The regulars on my server usually rush it once the 3rd hive is up as it usually ends games very quickly even against fully upgraded Marines

At the moment, Steam states it's 208 visitors and 31 subscriber.

NS2 has few system balance issues, like PowerNode thing and NoRequirements Onos Train. I put a lot of effort to make as many strategic routes viable as possible, staying within original conception.

If 2-nd Hive Xeno proves itself overpowered within current Meta, I'll work on it. No problem.