Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Silence and Aura would be broken. An alien you will never hear and never see due to dodging your view with wallhacks.

Silence and Camo was good, Camo with Aura would be durp, Silence with Aura would be OP.
    Wait, when would anyone have both silence AND aura??

• CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If that's the way they want to take it, perhaps now is the time to consider allowing 2/3 upgrades. Would allow for more variation between aliens and more research choices for the khamm.

I was talking about that guy. Honestly, I don't see what it adds if Camo was removed. Silence is not worth Aura and if Aura is nerfed Shade will be the last Hive every game once again.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    What if both aura and silence had camo? They both seem balanced and fun.
  • BULLET WIZARDBULLET WIZARD Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177702Members
    Radman wrote: »
    What if both aura and silence had camo? They both seem balanced and fun.
    I like the sound of that.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    New Bite

I feel that the 0.7m bite width is to large. Even with 300 ping you cannot miss the bite if you are a decent player (apart from when you go through the marines model and they end up behind you). Feels great though, love it!

Skulk Animations
    I don't know how to describe it, but they seem off? They seem to spasm / warp when changing directions quickly (left and right)

Momentum
    Skulks bhopping at 20 speed, then dead-stop mid air if they try to go another direction? Really throws your aim off, if speed is about trading predictability then they should carry their momentum.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Camo and Aura would promote such a boring and passive playstyle.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    I agree with those that say phantom was a good mix so I am confused as to why it was removed. It was one of the few things I was looking forward to about the mod. I could see myself using it on skulk and fade. For Onos I was more in favor of aura and perhaps for lerk since it does make the whole harassment job easier when you know who is low on health. Phantom actually provided a more promising/viable alternative to celerity and carapace but it is lowered beneath them again.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Camo and Aura would promote such a boring and passive playstyle.
    Maybe. The idea is that Camo requires you to stay still, and Aura would allow you to know exactly what is around the corner. Both together would make a really good ambushing abilities, and might save a few gorges as well.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think that if you're going to put Aura in, you kind of HAVE to keep phantom, otherwise you're just going to see people using aura exclusively, kind of like how you pretty much only see silence and cara being used, and rarely camo or regen.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Yeah I don't think there's many circumstances where I would choose silence over aura. More information for me is better than denying information to the enemy, and knowing where the marines are right now is just as good / better for letting you jump them effectively than silence. Hell I probably wouldn't choose phantom either but at least it means that the guys who want cloaking because they think it's cool and fun don't get screwed too badly.
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    My biggest complaint of these changes is the new bunnyjump. It just doesn't feel right. I feel like I'm overweight skulk that is covered completely in thick slime because I stick to walls so well. There is no same sense of precision and control of the character that there is in vanilla. It feels so annoying to jump on marines from hiding place and try to get some speed off the wall because the movement feels so sticky. This feeling gets worse in tight places.

I'm very happy with the skulk play that is currently in vanilla. The walljumping is limited but you can find with experience some nice travel paths that give you boost for short distances. In bt you propably use ground more because it's pretty easy to maintain the speed so we see more of these skulk rockets that try to charge at you with full speed instead of seeing them laying an ambush and waiting in the ceilings.

So I prefer to have limited walljump that is very useful in specific places instead of changing the skulk to bhop focused spacebar smashing race.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Phantom was a great ability and actually made shade competitive with crag and shift, I really don't understand why it was taken out. Camouflage on its own is not going to work, it never did and even silence is simply not competitive with carapace and celerity.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skulk Animations
    I don't know how to describe it, but they seem off? They seem to spasm / warp when changing directions quickly (left and right)
    yea, pretty sure this has been the case ever since they changed the leg animations or some such. It's a problem even on vanilla ns2.

Did a quick search. Build 220 - 200 days ago. Shows how long you've been away for mf.
    "Added Skulk running "weave" animations where the back half of the body is slightly delayed from the front.".

Interrupting the animations with fast movement changes causes it to spasm, and the only thing you can really do to fight it is lower skulk accel so you can't adad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Without phantom shade hive will never be as useful to the players on the field as the other two, because celerity/carapace > anything shade.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Unless they bring back focus, but that seems unlikely :(
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    Here are some suggestions, random but just some thoughts or maybe something to try out

1) Allow JPs on one CC, while exos require two CC

2) Make flamethrower drain alien adrenaline more the longer the enemy stays in your flame (helps prevent being insta-gibbed by lerk/fade) increase price back to 250

3) Make camo so you're always cloaked, but the "outlined" moving version, the one that's visible not full camo, keep silence and aura their own traits. So essentially you're removing full camo and always keeping the alien in that semi-cloaked form. You still make noise when moving in this form

4) Lower static skulk bite damage, I have no problem with no glancing bites, but since the bites aren't that difficult to hit, having them nail 75 each time feels high.. being 3hit with a0/a1 is fine, but it feels like with a2/a3 you get taken down quicker than normal.. may just be a placebo because feels like everyone can land bites now

off note

Something is funky with skulks atm when playing marine, when they get close to you the model seems to go nutty, and they seem to be "body clipping" more than usual, it's like a twitchy/teleport type thing going on.. can't really explain it but you should see it several times playing one full length match on BT

Remove the muffled sound when your health is low

(and idk if you can even do this) remove that obnoxious never ending hammer dropping sound on refinery lol, I mean please

on that note, great work sewlek and other devs apart of this! (y)
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    ezekel wrote: »
    3) Make camo so you're always cloaked, but the "outlined" moving version, the one that's visible not full camo, keep silence and aura their own traits. So essentially you're removing full camo and always keeping the alien in that semi-cloaked form. You still make noise when moving in this form

4) Lower static skulk bite damage, I have no problem with no glancing bites, but since the bites aren't that difficult to hit, having them nail 75 each time feels high.. being 3hit with a0/a1 is fine, but it feels like with a2/a3 you get taken down quicker than normal.. may just be a placebo because feels like everyone can land bites now

So you want to nerf Camo so much that not even a Gorge would take it over Silence anymore? Anything less than 100% cloak is quite useless.

I think the new bite system promotes chain biting a bit too much. Before, you were always running the risk of getting a not-so-good bite in if you just kept M1 pressed. Now you are more likely to spam it while jumping around, I think.
  • BigRustyRedBigRustyRed Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173786Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    We got some competitive players together last night and played 4 rounds in the balance mod, you can check out the videos of the games here:

There was a lot of discussion on how things worked, and obviously more then half of the people there didn't know the changes, but still gives some idea of how it will play.

One bug that we found was that if marines place a blueprinted RT on infestation RT point then the aliens can not cap that RT until the blueprint is gone, our suggested solution is simply remove the blueprint if the alien commander wants to drop an RT there
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    One bug that we found was that if marines place a blueprinted RT on infestation RT point then the aliens can not cap that RT until the blueprint is gone, our suggested solution is simply remove the blueprint if the alien commander wants to drop an RT there

Already pointed that out in the past, but Sewlek said he wanted the aliens to actually require to have a player go to an RT location to secure it.
    I'd prefer the "Harvester Drop Override" as well, though, since it's otherwise too easy for marines to make some annoying denying that requires to pull an alien away from it's harassment just to touch a blueprint.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »

Already pointed that out in the past, but Sewlek said he wanted the aliens to actually require to have a player go to an RT location to secure it.

That doesn't make sense, the alien comm doesn't have to send a player to build an RT any other time, and the marine comm doesn't need to send anyone there to drop the blueprint.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ^ But marines lose the RES while the blueprint is in place, and aliens can kill the blueprint by using ranged attacks, resulting in permanent res loss; only running into it refunds the marines the res
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    ^ But marines lose the RES while the blueprint is in place, and aliens can kill the blueprint by using ranged attacks, resulting in permanent res loss; only running into it refunds the marines the res

I don't agree with that either, killing the blueprint with ranged attacks is an obscure piece of trivia. The whole reason the blueprint was conceived was to prevent the comm from blocking things without a marine nearby. I don't think there should be a metagame surrounding it.
  • BigRustyRedBigRustyRed Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173786Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zek wrote: »

I don't agree with that either, killing the blueprint with ranged attacks is an obscure piece of trivia. The whole reason the blueprint was conceived was to prevent the comm from blocking things without a marine nearby. I don't think there should be a metagame surrounding it.

I agree, We just instantly thought it was a bug that needed to be fixed, not something intentional, I have never liked the mechanic of aliens being able to ranged attack down blueprints either.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Blueprints are a mess imo.

If an alien runs into a blueprint the total expense is refunded, however if the marine commander cancels it only 80% is refunded. Ranged attack don't clear them instantly but instead can destroy the blueprint and the marine team gets no refund.

Try explaining that.

I don't know if alien commanders should be able to override a blueprint rt or cc, instead placing a blueprint should have more weight and not result in an almost guaranteed refund. At the moment it's essentially free scouting for a hive drop or res expansion.

Being able to change upgrades at any time at no pres cost is broken, simply evolving between regen and cara at a whim shouldn't be possible.

Playing without glancing bites is fantastic, a landed bite is a landed bite. Simple.
    removed flame thrower and grenade launcher research (unlock with advanced armory)

Interesting, I remember complaining about this in the BT server. Ideally in an organised game you'd likely only ever want 1 or at max 2 people getting either of these weapons. Having to research these on top of the AA seemed overkill.

Without the requirement of having players spend pres for structures (ns1 gorge) I don't know of a good way of solving so many players having equal pres and the resulting fade explosions. Is this something that is being thought about? Does anyone have any suggestions?

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited April 2013
    Jekt wrote: »
    Being able to change upgrades at any time at no pres cost is broken, simply evolving between regen and cara at a whim shouldn't be possible.

To touch on this point, I don't actually think it's that bad. The gestation time to switch upgrades is punishment enough to do this I think, I haven't been able to find a situation yet where this creates imbalance... So for me, I like this feature. (plus to me, the ability to switch upgrades and adapt on the fly is something that adds to the asymmetry of the game and seems fitting for the aliens)

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Jekt wrote: »

Simple way to fix this is to have the initial upgrade choice be free then changing costs pres.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Also, alternatively, you can always simply increase the gestation time universally - or even based on per lifeform - if balancing the very badly needed pres sink for aliens becomes too tricky.

But ideally having a pres sink is the way to go.
    Just be sure to scale the costs should you do this, with skulk being free (just a gestation time) and every other lifeform scaling in costs just a little bit like maybe the fade pays 2 pres to swap from regen to cara for lategame.

Many benefits to that system, imo.

I spent PAGES worth of writing in internal forums back in beta about this, excited to see it play out. (and not in a half implemented form like prior with universal costs, or universally free attempts)
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I like the 'change traits only near a hive' option. Makes sense thematically, avoids exploits, and is simple to implement.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited April 2013
    about the switching regen/carapace... i think the main problem is that you would basically force players to gestate, regen and then gestate back to carapace.

isn't that a bit of a boring mechanic, like armory hump?

imo it's not the same as the welder situation, because marines can live on medpacks - you can't do jack as a weakened lerk/fade/onos so you'd literally have to gestate regen and back every minute.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    So make swapping upgrades cost 10% of the lifeform cost.