NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• jackeljackel Join Date: 2004-10-03 Member: 32071Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    would it be possible to add more information the the commander screen?
    some helpful things i've thought about:

-number of upgrade chambers currently built
    -spawn queue and how long until spawn (like the progress bar you see over the ip but just static on the screen)
    -maybe information like the spectators see of the players on your team (lifeform/res/weapon,etc)

there could be more possibilities, but these all i can remember right now.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Press J to open the tech tree

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Press J to open the tech tree
    For Commanders it shows the icon on the bottom left with the number of chambers already.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Just released a new build, might as well call it "The endgame stats release".

- Made endgame stats appear as soon as they are received.
    - Endgame stats are now a toggle, tap the Request menu key (default: X) to see them.
    - Commander stats now show up with the other endgame stats.
    - Endgame stats now get saved locally so you can check them after map or server changes.
    - You can now check the endgame stats as long as a new game hasn't started or you're in the ReadyRoom.
  • NeutralX2NeutralX2 Join Date: 2007-06-29 Member: 61421Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Mendasp wrote: »

- Endgame stats are now a toggle, tap the Request menu key (default: X) to see them.
    - Endgame stats now get saved locally so you can check them after map or server changes.
    - You can now check the endgame stats as long as a new game hasn't started or you're in the ReadyRoom.

Any chance you are going to work on performance? I get a pretty unacceptable performance drop when playing on servers that run NS2+. It seems to be around 40fps on average. Going from 100+fps to sub 60fps really makes the aiming feel sluggish. I can immediately tell when joining a server that has this mod running without looking at the mod list on the loading screen.

Perhaps an option to turn all the client side stuff off? I appreciate all the effort, but for me at least this mod has a net negative impact on my enjoyment of this game.

i5-3570K @ 4.3GHZ
    16GB DDR3
    Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD
    2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680s in SLI
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    NeutralX2 wrote: »

Any chance you are going to work on performance? I get a pretty unacceptable performance drop when playing on servers that run NS2+. It seems to be around 40fps on average. Going from 100+fps to sub 60fps really makes the aiming feel sluggish. I can immediately tell when joining a server that has this mod running without looking at the mod list on the loading screen.

Perhaps an option to turn all the client side stuff off? I appreciate all the effort, but for me at least this mod has a net negative impact on my enjoyment of this game.

i5-3570K @ 4.3GHZ
    16GB DDR3

Um, what?

Unless you don't have any of the options set correctly this should be giving you better FPS like it has done for every other player.

edited July 2014
    NeutralX2 wrote: »

i5-3570K @ 4.3GHZ
    16GB DDR3

I'm not doing anything crazy in the mod to lower FPS, in any case with the options to disable stuff you should be getting more. I've gotten zero reports of people having less FPS, the opposite, really.

What servers do you play on? Server performance can affect client performance. Is this something recent? How are you checking FPS?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation

i5-3570K @ 4.3GHZ
    16GB DDR3

Those issues you're experiencing could be caused by numerous other variables. I would try running without SLI and see if the problem still occurs on a local server with the mod enabled/disabled. Hard benchmark data would be more compelling.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited July 2014
    remi.D wrote: »
    Yup, first bug should be fixed (incorrect win attribution on games ending due to team imbalance)

I got a similar bug today on my compmod server. First some players got a warning message that they had been AFK for 0 seconds and would be kicked after some more time. When they had started a round it took 30 seconds before they were moved to the RR and server said "aliens win".
    Server runs Shine admin, Shine NS2Stats, NS2+, Pregame++, Compmod, Cross spawns, disabled first person spectator.

Server log

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Pregame+ breaks shit.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    joshhh wrote: »
    Pregame+ breaks shit.

I'm running Pregame++. As far as I understand it should be compatible with the compmod.
    edited July 2014
    The source of the problem was PGP where if you have 2 commanders but are under the limit for players to disable PGP it starts the game, then, as soon as a Commander logs out, it ends the game.

Anyways, for people that can't control their eyes there is now:
    - Added a toggle for the low ammo warning. Available in HUD tab.

And some smaller shit like the last stats showing up while typing in chat...

Edit: Actually I can't repro with PGP and all the mods you had in your server, but the repro steps (in that server) are those I described, when I get your server config we can see what's actually wrong.
  • ShotoSelectionShotoSelection Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37558Members
    edited July 2014
    If it is possible and not too much trouble, please please please please put area of effect range indicators for drifter abilities, ie: enzyme, mucous, hallucinate. I hate having to guess if the ability will be within range while casting it. Adding the range indicator for mist would also be helpful. Currently I have no idea how far a mist will reach and it could save me having to mist an overlapping area twice!
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited July 2014
    Mendasp and remi.D, you have done an amazing job with NS2+. I appreciate all the changes you have made to the game and options you have given us. It's like the game constantly has a new kick of life to it with every update. I have an idea that might be similar to other ideas expressed in the past:

I think it would be helpful as alien, possibly marine too....if you had some sort of visual indicator in the middle area of your screen to show you how damaged you were or possibly more importantly...how much health and armor you have left. So we already have damage numbers for the damage we have done to the other team, what if we could have similar style numbers pop up in the middle of our screen to show how much health and armor we have left. That way, especially as a higher life form, I could quickly tell if it's worth staying in an engagement or leaving. It would be a lot easier than looking to the bottom left of your screen.

I think the numbers should only show when you take damage and then disappear. If you could adjust: where it showed, how long it showed, how large the numbers would be, and the color (maybe even have different colors once you have no armor left or low health). Regarding where it shows up on your screen, what if you could pick which side of center you wanted the numbers to show up. You could pick: above, below, left, or right of center. That way they aren't exactly where you are aiming, but it's also a lot easier to see without moving your eyes much.

Also, possibly a visual indicator for alien energy left which would be located near the center of the screen. I wouldn't want it always showing up, so the best way to do that would probably be to have a low energy indicator. Either a color flash/graphic indicator on one side of center when your energy is below a certain amount (which you could pick the below indicator number/percentage in options).
    edited July 2014
    Deck_ wrote: »
    Mendasp and remi.D, you have done an amazing job with NS2+. I appreciate all the changes you have made to the game and options you have given us. It's like the game constantly has a new kick of life to it with every update. I have an idea that might be similar to other ideas expressed in the past:

I think it would be helpful as alien, possibly marine too....if you had some sort of visual indicator in the middle area of your screen to show you how damaged you were or possibly more importantly...how much health and armor you have left. So we already have damage numbers for the damage we have done to the other team, what if we could have similar style numbers pop up in the middle of our screen to show how much health and armor we have left. That way, especially as a higher life form, I could quickly tell if it's worth staying in an engagement or leaving. It would be a lot easier than looking to the bottom left of your screen.

I think the numbers should only show when you take damage and then disappear. If you could adjust: where it showed, how long it showed, how large the numbers would be, and the color (maybe even have different colors once you have no armor left or low health). Regarding where it shows up on your screen, what if you could pick which side of center you wanted the numbers to show up. You could pick: above, below, left, or right of center. That way they aren't exactly where you are aiming, but it's also a lot easier to see without moving your eyes much.

Also, possibly a visual indicator for alien energy left which would be located near the center of the screen. I wouldn't want it always showing up, so the best way to do that would probably be to have a low energy indicator. Either a color flash/graphic indicator on one side of center when your energy is below a certain amount (which you could pick the below indicator number/percentage in options).

This has been suggested a number of times, I will do it eventually. It's basically a HL2 style crosshair.

In other news, vanilla fixes up in this b:

- Fixed vanilla bug where the Commander would log out attacking.
    - Fixed vanilla bug that made trigger volumes bigger than their representation in the editor. This affected some map locations (power node issues).
    - Made powered room effect for Commanders with the same accuracy as the actual volume they cover.

Edit: I just made a NS2+ Trello!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fixed vanilla bug where the Commander would log out attacking

Are, are you sure ... ? I've seen this falsely in change logs at least 3 or 4 times in the past.
    Please Mendasp!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    if you are gona mess with energy visuals can you make a option to make it like ns1?
    Health and armour bars left and right?

I shall say it again, the sides of your screen are in peripheral vision and big things of contrast work best instead of detail. :D
    if you are gona mess with energy visuals can you make a option to make it like ns1?
    Health and armour bars left and right?

I shall say it again, the sides of your screen are in peripheral vision and big things of contrast work best instead of detail. :D
    Did you check the trello? I had it planned already :P
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Mendasp. Have my babies.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I did not but certainly awesome news.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    I mentioned this to Mendasp earlier and he didn't think it was awesome so I will mention it here to see if anyone else agrees with me.

I find a little tiny thing about the alien buy menu annoying. Say you are a skulk. You had regen but now you want carapace. So regen is up in the active upgrades area with carapace below. To switch upgrades you click on regen and it goes back down below, then you need to click on carapace so it goes into the active upgrades. That is two clicks not to mention the one you did earlier putting regen there in the first place.

This is most annoying for me if by chance I misclick while getting an upgrade for this first time. Say I chose regen by misclick but wanted carapace. Then I got to click 2 more times to get what I want.

What if we were to reduce the amount of clicks you had to do. Add a bit more polish in this area. What if you had regen selected and to switch with carapace all you had to do was click on carapace and it automatically switched.

This is just polish if anyone agrees that this is something worthwhile. It is really one less click, so not the most important thing.

It is happening! Thank you @Mendasp!
    https://trello.com/c/kZqQpr7N/15-make-it-so-you-can-just-swap-alien-upgrades-without-clicking-your-current-one-again

The trello is a great idea. I also like that you put it in the signature of your posts for easy reference when I go looking for it.

Sadly, I see that you aren't doing in trello anything... Does this mean you are slowing down your ridiculous ns2 programming pace?!? Just kidding.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Decoy wrote: »
    Mendasp. Have my babies.
    I have met Mendasp in person and I can vouch for Decoy. Make this a reality. Let me help you get this started.

youtu.be/qXzDZdro1vA
    So for the people that didn't witness my amazing coding stream, I was adding that HL2-style thing today and so far it looks like this:

csPLA0j.png

It works like the insight bars, but they are in your hud. Colors and looks are subject to change because I can't draw or anything.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can you make the bars dance when you're at full HP?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2014
    Love the HL2 crosshair idea. Ideally the ammo and health counter should go from blue >>> then flash red when health or ammo is low. For aliens it should be orange >>> flash red when low.

Some feedback on the weapon expiration bar, specifically from the commanders view:

Can you change the current implementation:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=290388080

to match the way in looks in first person?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=290388155

When a marine drops a weapon as comm, its distracting due to the large size of the bar floating on the ground. It's current implementation functionally works, but it should ideally match the same visual, color changing status, and size as first person view does. This would also reduce clutter on the commanders screen. I made a quick photoshop to show what it'd look like:

http://s267.photobucket.com/user/aeroripper/media/droppedgun.jpg.html
    edited July 2014
    I did the color coded stuff for comms in the 267 build of NS2+, I do understand that it's hilariously huge, I'd rather not change the graphic though, because the way this works is it's integrated with the nameplates stuff that's already there, so I'm not applying any textures myself, etc, but I can take a look, I'd say it's easier to make it smaller, though.

In fact I suggested changing the commander graphics to Insight ones (what you want to do with just the weapons) because the current ones are ugly as hell.

@rantology made me some bars but I had to butcher them so they worked with my code:

psi8rE5.png

Colors to be tweaked etc.