Natural Selection 2 Build 244 Live on Steam

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Raven_XI wrote: »

Play any actual formal (Pug / Scrim) game of NS and we'll see how well marines are doing.

Personal experience says Commanding a win on Aliens is MUCH more easier than commanding a win on marines in any play type. Its also less stressful.

Honestly, I could care less about pugs/scrims/comp plays as they did themselves and this game a disfavor by making matches 6v6 to just follow 'suit' with other competitive games. This game is better designed around ~8v8 for comp play like Team Fortress Classic was.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    Res wrote: »

Play any actual formal (Pug / Scrim) game of NS and we'll see how well marines are doing.

Personal experience says Commanding a win on Aliens is MUCH more easier than commanding a win on marines in any play type. Its also less stressful.

Honestly, I could care less about pugs/scrims/comp plays as they did themselves and this game a disfavor by making matches 6v6 to just follow 'suit' with other competitive games. This game is better designed around ~8v8 for comp play like Team Fortress Classic was.

Disagree, more players = less individual skill/teamwork. Also makes dying less of an issue, because if your entire five dies; expect a push onto your base. While if you had an 8v8, you'd always have someone spawning constantly.
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Reduced gorge tunnel research cost to 10 (was 30)
    Reduced gorge tunnel cost to 5 (was 10)
    Increased gorge tunnel armor by 100

Haven't gotten the chance to play the 244 build yet, but that's an AWESOME change!
    I hope we'll see them used alot more now in both competetive- and pubplay.
    12th of april will be sweet :D
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    very cool video Hugh.
    Nice to see the crash at map load gone.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    Disagree, more players = less individual skill/teamwork.

Most people haven't experienced more than 6v6 players in competitive play. I have and very much so when TFC was played in it's hey day before 6v6 became popular.

This sentiment that you make could be made about any game, but it does not actually have any bearing of truth to it and certainly wasn't true in TFC and while NS2 is a different game, it wouldn't be true for NS2 either.

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's hard enough to get 6 people on at a certain time, 8 would just be a nightmare. Stop being wrong.
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    2d0x wrote: »
    I LOVE YOU UWE!!!!!!!

I LOVE YOU 2d0x!!!

Are you able to comment on peoples posts who are actually trying to create discussion about improving the game? And not just encouraging moronic fan boy posts?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vay wrote: »
    Large marine nerf right before finals. You guys have really wierd timing with these things.

Everyone was calling for a marine nerf, we knew it would only be a matter of time.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    edited April 2013
    did you guys change the shift building ? because is alot big compare to before, now is just taller instead of "flat"
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Vay wrote: »
    Large marine nerf right before finals. You guys have really wierd timing with these things.

These balance changes have been made available as preview in a mod (the small brother of the Balance Test mod) for quite a while already, so the teams had the chance to prepare themselves before this patch release already.
  • clowningclowning Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22956Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    What on earth have you done to the scoreboard?? It is now the ugliest scoreboard ever in a game.

Making the important changes.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    clowning wrote: »
    What on earth have you done to the scoreboard?? It is now the ugliest scoreboard ever in a game.

I'm hoping they change the font to comic sans out of spite.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    2d0x wrote: »
    I LOVE YOU UWE!!!!!!!

I LOVE YOU 2d0x!!!

Are you able to comment on peoples posts who are actually trying to create discussion about improving the game? And not just encouraging moronic fan boy posts?

Entitled much? :p
  • ThE_tHoRThE_tHoR Join Date: 2007-05-05 Member: 60802Members
    we need recource collection while dead and qwertz support for commander
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    ThE_tHoR wrote: »
    we need recource collection while dead and qwertz support for commander
    You can find out how to rebind commander interface keys by googling, I did the same a few months ago for my azerty keyboard. They're in a different file from the regular binds.
  • AntikaratekidAntikaratekid Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183688Members
    edited April 2013
    Slight nerf to marines? Bringing in changes from Sewlek (cough skulk movement haha)?

UWE I swear if you made it so that marines couldn't shoot while jumping (or drastically limited how much they could hop), I'd dedicate my FB and spam my friends to buy this game until you guys are rich. It is so so close to being my favorite fps.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited April 2013
    Seahunts wrote: »
    Really liking the sound of the changes to Mineshaft. Especially that arcing deposit from central is no longer a thing.

I noticed that skulk's acceleration was not mentioned in the change log :-/

Yup only thing keeping me from playing a lot more on aliens. Would have been better instead of the marine nerfs we got a new fun to play skulk but I guess it is still being worked on. I agree with the Gorge tunnel changes that was defiantly needed.

Someone mind enlightening me on the marine nerfs? From the current balance standpoint didn't UWE say it was at the best it ever was? Maybe in the grand scheme of the balance mod it had a place but now idk how this is going to turn out. Sort of wish nano shield had more time on structures with the old 50% reduction rate. Mostly for higher player servers where aliens tend to cheese the node. I would not mind if it was the same on lower player servers but a bit of scaling would be nice for structures only.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Industry wrote: »
    clowning wrote: »

I'm hoping they change the font to comic sans out of spite.
    Na, wingdings. The Latin alphabet is so overrated.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Someone mind enlightening me on the marine nerfs? From the current balance standpoint didn't UWE say it was at the best it ever was? Maybe in the grand scheme of the balance mod it had a place but now idk how this is going to turn out. Sort of wish nano shield had more time on structures with the old 50% reduction rate.
    the overall balance might be 50/50, but the tier 1 matchups are really skewed in favor of marines. these changes are just small steps toward alleviating that problem (double IP aggression, marines getting upgrades too easily). any games won early game would almost certainly be won by marines (barring some kind of base rush), and playing aliens was simply about surviving until the midgame. this is also something that is sort of specific to high level competition, so I doubt the changes are significant enough to make a dent in the overall winrate.
  • VayVay Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183959Members
    Good to hear they have been tested; really looking forwards to the finals and didn't want anything messing it up. Guess the Gorgeous patch/bug just left me skeptical of patches in the middle of a tournament.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    a 50/50 win rate may be balanced, but that does not mean certain aspects of the a team is OP, nano lasted way too long, im happy to see this change!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Gliss wrote: »
    Someone mind enlightening me on the marine nerfs? From the current balance standpoint didn't UWE say it was at the best it ever was? Maybe in the grand scheme of the balance mod it had a place but now idk how this is going to turn out. Sort of wish nano shield had more time on structures with the old 50% reduction rate.
    the overall balance might be 50/50, but the tier 1 matchups are really skewed in favor of marines. these changes are just small steps toward alleviating that problem (double IP aggression, marines getting upgrades too easily). any games won early game would almost certainly be won by marines (barring some kind of base rush), and playing aliens was simply about surviving until the midgame. this is also something that is sort of specific to high level competition, so I doubt the changes are significant enough to make a dent in the overall winrate.

Ah thanks. I figured it was something like that when they mentioned on showtime how aliens were currently on the defensive playing a game of survival long enough until they get fades to turn the tide. Didn't relate these changes to that though but I can see how it slows marines down from exploding their tech too fast. I guess they have to start somewhere if they want to alleviate the snowballing but yea it will be interesting to see how it turns out. A game with marines steamrolling at the Invitational would not make for a good show. Thanks for the explanation.

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Pros:

1) Gorge tunnel changes
    2) FPS counter, although it seems to reset itself after map change :/
    3) Being able to center on your MAC\Drifter again from the shortcuts (finally!)

Cons:

1) Scoreboard text needs tweaking, its difficult to read
  • BottBott Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183509Members
    Please get that hideous scoreboard fixed. Very hard to read anything.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited April 2013
    the new guy must play aliens much, Entire changelog was all in favor to aliens?
    i agree tunnels was expensive and should be somewhat equal to marine phase tech but did you have to make like everything cost 5 res more?
    was it not enough that exactly ALL map changes was for aliens that gives new paths, quicker vents, more cover and easyer expansion paths...
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Thanks once again for yet another update chock full of fixes and improvements. Keep up the good work!

Please revert the scoreboard font. It looks terrible and is nearly unreadable. Nothing is gained by using the same font on the scoreboard as on the game branding, and a great deal of attractiveness and usability is lost. The "NS2" font is awesome on flyers and webpages and loading screens, but it's the opposite of awesome on the scoreboard.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    RadimaX wrote: »
    the new guy must play aliens much, Entire changelog was all in favor to aliens?
    i agree tunnels was expensive and should be somewhat equal to marine phase tech but did you have to make like everything cost 5 res more?
    was it not enough that exactly ALL map changes was for aliens that gives new paths, quicker vents, more cover and easyer expansion paths...

Marines easily own aliens early game in comp play. Often you see marines holding 5-6 RTs in comp and aliens only sitting on ~3.
    These changes help aliens to establish a bit more map control in the early game and to delay the marine expansion until aliens can match their strength by fielding Fades.

Also, that "new guy" has been working on NS2 gameplay a lot during the previous development as well. Now it just seems that he has more free reign about what balance changes (after internal playtesting with comp players and other playtesters) will eventually make it into the game.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Actually now that I think about it, the scoreboard reminds me of that firefox update oh so long ago when the text became really weird.. anyone know what I'm talking about? haha
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    I like the map changes, but when you fixed central drilling you missed the fan vent where lerks can spike the power from across the room.