Natural Selection 2 Build 244 Live on Steam

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    I like the map changes, but when you fixed central drilling you missed the fan vent where lerks can spike the power from across the room.

That's not really much of a problem anymore since lerks have tracres now.

• TaylorFactorTaylorFactor Join Date: 2004-05-01 Member: 28362Members
    I'm honestly amazed at how heavy the marine nurf is. The increase in research and building costs make sense for competitive play but in public matches it leaves so little room for error on behalf of the player (which is very common in pub matches). You can lose an RT here or there and still be able to keep a foot in the game, but that just got a whole lot harder. I'm really happy that NS has come far enough that your having these ranked matches, but this new patch may be an excellent argument for different rule/game sets for public vs private. Of course we'll have to see how the dust settles in the next few weeks but that's my feedback so far (for what it's worth).
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    just got done in a large pub marines were losing but ended up coming out ahead. Did not feel like the marine nerf was too much, not even close to being too much. gonna try aliens now.
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Raven_XI wrote: »
    Are you able to comment on peoples posts who are actually trying to create discussion about improving the game? And not just encouraging moronic fan boy posts?
    encouraging moronic fan boy posts? are you mad? My whole point of view is embedded in these words. I was tired for 2 weeks of Marines superiority. I am heartily glad of these changes, I am pleased to see how the developers are working to improve the game. I just expressed my feelings after reading patch notes. I think that there are not only scientists with monocles like you who want only a debate or discussion of the pressing issues? This is an open comment thread right?
    in fact I might add that for 3 hours of play in 244 there was no C++ error anymore, and gorge tunnels have become gorgeous with reduced prices - I think soon we will see a lot more use of the gorge tunnels, as well as new tactics including this tunnels. Which means more fun.
  • BottBott Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183509Members
    No C++ errors, just random crashes from time to time when a marine building is taken down leading to a black screen with a bugreport sitting in the background that you can't access.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Gorge tunnels are very useful now for early game.

69AF998CBCF4B5A01A634E7A60DED3D4E7ED45F4
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    current1y wrote: »
    Gorge tunnels are very useful now for early game.

That was such a funny game. That was my tunnel near locker. So troll.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    2d0x wrote: »
    I LOVE YOU UWE!!!!!!!

I LOVE YOU 2d0x!!!

Are you able to comment on peoples posts who are actually trying to create discussion about improving the game? And not just encouraging moronic fan boy posts?

I LOVE YOU Raven_XI!!!
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee very nice job UWE now marines will take about 10 minutes before they get weapons 1 and will lose every single match on descent oh wait... - dont they already do? ...

on Maps like Tram pretty nice balancing stuff to increase the upgrade costs but on descent? its already in alienfavour now its even more - PLEASE ASK THE COMMUNITY BEFORE

lucky that im not playing ENSL anymore cuz of this Shit descent
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Descent is alien favored. I'm going to go throw up now.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Exoskelett wrote: »
    niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee very nice job UWE now marines will take about 10 minutes before they get weapons 1 and will lose every single match on descent oh wait... - dont they already do? ...

on Maps like Tram pretty nice balancing stuff to increase the upgrade costs but on descent? its already in alienfavour now its even more - PLEASE ASK THE COMMUNITY BEFORE

So fix descent. Why would they adjust something like weapon upgrades if one map has a problem? Jeez.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow

That's hilarious. You actually thought that was what you were doing? Pro tip: try not to CAPITALIZE EVERY OTHER WORD if you want a SERIOSE DISCUSSION. That just makes you sound like a douche.

I also like how fan boy is supposed to be a diss. If you're not a fan of the game what the hell are you even doing here?
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    I like this build, minus the hideous font. I'll be playing this one for a bit.
  • mitonmiton Join Date: 2013-04-06 Member: 184665Members
    The fps command is nice, but it would be better to have one command that had all of the things people cared about from the different stats commands. Personally I only wanted fps, ping, server tick rate which meant having r_stats and net_stats on so I've gone from the entire screen covered with stats to a lot less, but more than I want.

Also, i'll miss taunting aliens when I'm dead why did you have to fix that?!
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    What is lerk sharking? If its what I think it is then I'm pretty sure there's no water and should therefore be called ground lerking.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Need an option to choose the player's keyboard type, i got an AZERTY, and you can't set all the in-game command (commander hotkeys are locked and can't be change in-game)

(http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136052221)
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've got to say I'm not a fan of the spawn locations changes in Refinery. I always liked that aliens could only spawn in containment, turbine, and smelting, while marines could spawn in only flow and smelting. It seemed right, but now aliens can spawn in Flow... that's got to go. Aliens have never had an advantage in flow due to it being very marine friendly. Now you make the most least advantaged location their main hive and you're asking for hurt. And Containment change is also weird... having that wall of boxes covering the rt from chasm is also blocking line of sight so aliens can easily go for power which is also right below a new vent that is just asking for a gorge to bile from. I'm sorry, but I didn't see any need to change Refinery and forgive me, but I don't see how containment's tech point is less snipeable...

Other than these changes, I'm skeptical, but interested in how the nerf to marine upgrades will be and hopefully the fixes to Mineshaft will pay off. All in all I like the patch, but I can't get over my hate of aliens starting in Flow.. :P
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    I was kinda hoping for a small buff to skulk movement, so I'm slightly disappointed. But there's still lots in the changelog to like.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Play any actual formal (Pug / Scrim) game of NS and we'll see how well marines are doing.

Personal experience says Commanding a win on Aliens is MUCH more easier than commanding a win on marines in any play type. Its also less stressful.

No shit, this game is based on a game that didnt even have an alien comm.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hmm anyone else getting Authentication Error with all the servers?
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    Steam is having issues I think.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Cargo containers, cargo containers everywhere in mineshaft, it's pretty over the top at Sorting and Crusher hallway. The one in central drilling is floating too.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    "Commanders are no longer able to see projectiles from units which are not sighted."

So no more hive / CC spotting for commanders at the beginning of the game?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    While we're at it, score is twenty (as in four score and ten is 90), and fortnight is definitely a word. How could anyone argue that these are not words?!

Oh and I got accused of sounding "just like that NS2HD guy" on a US server yesterday... Only I'm British! Cmon you Americans, I can tell the difference between many US regional accents and distinguish those from Canadians, but Australia and the UK are on opposite sides of the world, and our accents are completely different!
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah Steam has crapped it's pants :(
    No moar NS2 tonight waaah
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    gio wrote: »
    I like this build, minus the hideous font. I'll be playing this one for a bit.

This happened in the beta when they adjusted the font size of something els...thinking it was the armoury hud text (was corrected in later patch).
    I kind of like it but find it harder to read with a short button tap, yet I actually think it might grow on me over time.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    edited April 2013
    When Hugh said "you just got extra 50 fps" I almost choked on my cereal!!!!
    because I see no 50 extra fps - still 30-40 in combat.
    I still get the server menu updating with only my favourites on it, even with it ticked or unticked
    just refreshes my favourites only sometimes :/
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2013
    Nano change is excellent, it is not much used in pub, but if I put it on a competent player with a shotgun, the effect is devastating. Stronger/shorter buff seems much better.

Gorge tunnels is good, I hope we will see them more. I would like to see the damage to marines using the tunnels increased slightly. Paying pres and tres only to create a shortcut to your upgrades for the marines is not that hot.

I consider the new scoreboard much worse. But hey - it's not that big deal, I can always ask someone with a magnifying glass to read it for me ;-)

Babblers should be cheaper and/or more useful. The proposals to get rid of that clumsy glowing ball and linking the control of the babblers to a direct LOS mechanism like parasite or spit should be IMO considered.
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    CyberKun wrote: »
    I like how every single balance change is from Sewlek's mod.
    Well, that makes sense, seeing as how Andi "Sewlek" is currently handling the design side of NS2.
    Vay wrote: »
    Large marine nerf right before finals. You guys have really wierd timing with these things.
    The timing is not weird at all. We specifically made these balance tweaks based on talking to the competitive teams, including the guys who are going to be playing in the finals. It was requested that some marine nerfs be made in order to make the gameplay better in Cologne, as marines have been winning at a much higher rate in comp games.

We held off on any large changes that we are still planning on making, specifically to avoid changing the game up too much before the finals, but you can expect to see some of them making their way into the game soon after the Cologne event is over.

--Cory

As I look at the stats and as I have been playing the game, I think it is completely and totally balanced since build 240. NS2Stats show like 51% aliens. So why are you guys fixing something that isn't broken???? I read this post and it is another example of a pattern. That pattern is UWE seems to cater to the competive people and their requests/complaints more than the whole. For balance, the whole is the stats which say "don't fix me, I am not broken". Yet, build 244 is quite clearly a marine NERF patch.

Does UWE want the stats of build 238/239 again? Where myself and others uninstalled the game? All I can say is AT BEST, this patch will do nothing. Anything else is all down hill.