ns2_mineral

Comments

• MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    After a lot of problems with the transition of the Production room to take the place of Automation System and the fact that a complete rebuild of almost the whole map is required to make this work I have gotten so angry with this project that I have come up with another solution to my problems.

ns2_mineral will change name to ns2_co_mineral. I will use most of the rooms I have previously detailed in a new layout suited for the combat mod and completely scrap the current ns2 version and layout. The plan is to use Surface as alien start so the battle of the map is about marines trying to get out of the facility they have been trapped in. I expect to have the map complete by the end of next week.
    Of course not really.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm disappointed that I didn't cause the map to require a total rework.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Alpha version 05 is out on the workshop!

Changelog:
    - Redesigned a lot of the middle portion of the map around Automation System.
    (Automation System now has 2 entrances from the north and two from the south).
    (Automation system detail is copied from Production and reterxtured + removed/added some details).
    (Production Still the same but altered lighting).
    (Central Path is now East Path and no longer has a connection to Pump Control).
    (Added West Cross which spawns out to Automation System, Transport Halls and Pump Control).
    (Changed Security to make marine travel time from Surface to Automation System a bit longer).
    (Made System Access(hallway between Automation and Lockers) a little bit longer to increase marine travel time to Automation from Surface).

- Reworked vents around the center.
    (Vent from Generators now goes to Automation System and Pump Control)
    (Vent from Loading Bay now goes in to Automation System again)
    (Removed vent from Security)
    (Vent from Transport Halls now goes to West Cross)

- Reworked path between Mineral Processing and Generators with more cover for aliens.
    - Reworked Tunnel a little bit with cover for aliens
    - Closed semi-open door in Transport Halls and added a vent that has the same function instead(LOS Issues).
    - Did NOT move vent entrance in Mineral Processing from Transfer(not enough time!).
    - Added half-assed textures to all geometry in the map. Some places may have been forgotten and vents don't count!

New layout:
    ns2_mineral_a05Layout.jpg
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited April 2014
    Judging by the minimap, Automation looks a lot better now. We'll see.

edit: Referring to the room itself, not it's location on the map.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    cant really judge a minimap @f0rdPrefect and unless you do high risk high reward strats (like me) in which case as its now even more central it is even more OP! relocate to automation system = pretty much GG to rines if they do it
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Considering I ran around as an Alien in the map already to check, I doubt it will work that well. The vent overlooking the room is massively powerful and the layout itself is much better for Aliens.
    Had a competitive 6vs6 mixteam test this afternoon and the aliens wrecked marines in both rounds. I think only some minor changes to the flow the map is required now to make it balanced. I may be wrong though. I have a pretty comprehensive list of things to try, but will implement them slowly over many releases and test every one of them as often as possible.

http://www.twitch.tv/tachii_/b/516467217
    edited April 2014
    Working on a new assignment for my uni stuff. Make something with text and image composition, maybe a poster?

2014-04-03_00003.jpg

Edit: Closer screenshot and altered text color to be more readable.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Reminds me of that old joke...

"Join the military! Meet interesting people, and kill them!"
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Reminds me of that old joke...

"Join the military! Meet interesting people, and kill them!"

See shout outs.

I've read somewhere that it supposedly used to be the Marine's inofficial motto.
    Hehe yeah it was supposed to be sort of a joke :)

In other news, new version is out on the workshop! The changes are so "small" I have started to add decimals to the version numbers. This one is alpha 5.01.

Changelog:
    -Removed Loading Bay <-> Automation System vent.
    -Removed north vent entrances to Automation system and moved one of them to West Cross instead.
    -Reworked Mineral Processing <-> Transfer vent. Moved entrance in Mineral Processing above floor level(behind pipes in the back). Moved entrance in Transfer to the middle of the north wall.
    -Lowered vent between Lockers and Production so it should be less of a pain for commanders/casters(Thanks Mega!).
    -Added small vent in Security for hiding purposes only(Thanks Mega!).
    -Added vent to west side of Drill Site to help aliens defend against attacks from Storage(Thanks Robby/Skogsmulle!).
    -Added Automated door to Automation System entrance from Security(Thanks Robby!).
    -Lowered central structure in Automation System to make the room less powerful for Aliens.
    -Made the server racks in Automation System a little shorter to provide a little less cover for Aliens.
    -Reworked path from Surface, through Stasis, to Lockers. Entrance to Lockers from Surface is now coming in from the south instead of west. Moved resource node accordingly.
    -Lowered center structure in Lockers to prevent Aliens from sneaking over it too easy.
    -Fixed easy gorge block in Transport Halls. Moved entrances to the small corridor on the west side to the center of each section and made them larger. Results in a longer corridor as well.(Thanks Totaldang/izO!)
    -Fixed some doors where Skulk feet were sticking through the walls on the side when hiding(Thanks Cr4zy!).
    -Capped some random holes in the OcclusionGeometry.
    -Removed some annoying doors from commander view, helpful for medpack drops(Thanks Malus!).

Layout:
    ns2_mineral_a501Layout.jpg
    You lazy little **** just copied Production into the middle of the map ;)
    It's better now than before, but still very powerful. We aliens held Automation the entire time and thus pretty much locked down the Marines. (Ofc, may have been due to uneven teams.)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Hey @MasterG‌

Here is my POV of this weeks map test on mineral:

You lazy little **** just copied Production into the middle of the map ;)
    It's better now than before, but still very powerful. We aliens held Automation the entire time and thus pretty much locked down the Marines. (Ofc, may have been due to uneven teams.)

Not lazy, just lack of time! Production is getting a complete rebuild some time in the near future(I hope). There are other issues that require more attention. We played a 6vs6 gather on the map late on saturday night(more like sunday morning) and marines really whipped the aliens around. All the action seems to be focus on the top/left side of the map, which is bad. I think your uneven teams analysis is pretty much spot on. I have made some changes that I will detail later on as I really need to be going to bed now.

Thanks for the video @Soul_Rider, gonna watch it tomorrow :)

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    No Problem.

As regards this map, i personally find it very marine biased, because of the difficulty for aliens to make an attack on surface from Drill Site. It is quite hard to keep momentum up those slopes, and when I am a gorge trying to move to attack marine start, well, even sliding gives no benefit. Running away, the slopes are great, but in general for aliens to attack uphill so much puts them at a distinct disadvantage.

As a result, aliens must hold Auto System if they want to stand a chance. I still feel this room is way too important in the game.
    Alpha version 6.01 is out on the workshop 5 minutes ago!

Changelog coming later as it is LONG and I have no time to write it yet!

Minimap:

ns2_mineral_a601_Layout.jpg

Have fun!
    Quick hotfix, version 6.02 released on the workshop!

-Added ladder to the pit in Pumping Stations.
    -Moved power node in Storage so that it won't get hurt from infestation in Drill Site.
    -Fixed the broken ventilation between Generators and Pumping Stations.

Thanks to Cr4zy for the quick feedback!!
    Coming in with the change log for latest version(s) of Mineral.

Alpha 6.01 Change log:
    -Moved Automation System east on the map, closer to Generators.
    -Reworked East Path.
    -Moved Storage, Transport Halls, Security and Loading Bay a bit south-west.
    (Removes ARC spot from Storage to Drill Site.)
    (Makes path from Surface to Loading Bay slightly shorter, but Loading Bay to Automation System slightly longer.)
    (Changes path from Storage to Drill Site slightly.)

-Reworked path from Security to Automation System slightly
    -Reworked West Cross and its paths into Automation System and Transport Halls.
    -Moved Lounge to a new location, between Lockers and Automation System, and rebuilt it completely.
    (Walking time from Surface to Automation System, through Lockers/Lounge, is slightly longer due to this.)
    -Combined Pumping Stations(Upper/Lower) into one room and and reworked its path into Pump Control.
    -Deleted the old Production room and rebuilt it to have it look different than Automation System(due to earlier copy of the room)
    -Added new location, Cooling, which is now the path between Lockers and Production.
    (Walking time from Surface to Production is slightly(2 seconds?) longer, but Production looks and feels less remote on the layout.)
    -Removed the ventilation from Lockers to Production and added ventilation from Cooling to Lounge instead.
    -Moved resource point in Generators slightly, to decrease Marine effectiveness in taking it down when coming in from Transfer.
    -Moved Power node in Generators to the west wall so that Aliens can take it down easier, and marines need to go all the way into the room to defend it.
    -Added more cover for Aliens in most places around the map. Some places may still have been overlooked due to limitation of time.

Alpha 6.02(Hotfix) Change log:
    -Added ladder to the pit in Pumping Stations.
    -Moved power node in Storage so that it won't get hurt from infestation in Drill Site.
    -Fixed the broken ventilation between Generators and Pumping Stations.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    So far I'm loving it more and more with all your changes. After running around in it more ( not played this build properly yet! ) there is one change I do not like too much. That is the stairs you've added between automation and the new west cross. It's a very tight, closed staircase that seems to be a bit too long however, you can easily remedy it I think!

So here's another draw over on your minimap, I think if you pull the start of the stairs south slightly in automation, you gain enough room to be able to raise the small corridor between west cross & transport halls. Adding some small steps to the entrance from both west cross and transport raises this section up slightly while then making this floor higher up so your long staircase becomes a little shorter, or maybe not as steep.
    At the same time the slope that currently exists between west cross & pump control is also very steep, I think you can do similar stuff here and split this into two sets of steps. You can probably also pull the top of the slope into west cross more than you do currently to give you the extra space.

minimap
    7619c0115c.jpg

The pipe(?) you're planning on running above the stairs down the middle is going to make it an amazing place for skulks to get kills and due to the lack of room on the stairs for marines to maneuver. Open it up! Allow marines/skulks to get from the stairs into west cross simply by jumping a railing , this gives both the stairs and west cross a more open less cramped feel, but skulks still have a place to hide and jump marines, but with the wall no longer existing between the two rooms the fight is much more even. Opening the wall doesn't mean the runtime ends up any shorter for marines from west to automation, which is good, it will potentially mess with marines getting to pump control, however if as I said above the stairs start further south in automation you can add that time back at the top.

So I decided to draw over what I meant with this just so its easier to visualize! However you can still shout at me on steam if you need ^^

17c8c54205.jpg
    before: http://puu.sh/8b2Mg/d06d4c96c7.jpg
    Dude that is awesome thinking Cr4zy! I was planning to do something completely different with the place that will open the whole thing up some more. Not sure about it yet but this makes my thoughts spin a bit faster! For my plans I need a little more space though, so I need to do something with security to give west cross a little more room. The whole point of this was making the route from automation to pump control longer, which I have achieved. I just don't want to break that right away again by removing my original intention. I'll be SHOUTING at you on steam for sure and we can talk this through in more detail! Thanks a lot!
    edited April 2014
    I also have an idea which may be a bit controversial, but I think it would add a really interesting dynamic to the map, would be remove the connection from Automation to West Cross. That would enable you to open West Cross further too. Having 3 entrances to a hive room is normally more than enough unless it's really big like crevice.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    unless it's really big like crevice.

...crossroads, you mean?

...crossroads, you mean?

I was wondering too, but I think he just referred to the size of crevice and worded it poorly. (Although... a TP the size of crevice? Damn.)

...crossroads, you mean?

I was wondering too, but I think he just referred to the size of crevice and worded it poorly. (Although... a TP the size of crevice? Damn.)

Egg spawns in midair... aww shoot!
    I have no idea why I typed crevice... I was obviously talking about Crossroads.. I was even picturing crossroads in my head while saying it...
    edited April 2014
    It is an interesting idea, removing the connection Automation <-> West cross. However I feel that it would make the north-west side of the map a bit too disconnected from the rest, specially the middle. This could potentially put the aliens at a huge disadvantage when spawning in Drill site and opposite when spawn in Mineral. It would also make any marine positioned north west of Automation amazingly out of position.

One thing that could be even more interesting would be connecting the entrances to Automation from Security/West cross into one, making a new connection between the two. Not sure if this is a good idea though, because it would enable marines to sprint directly from Surface to Pump control in a little over 20 seconds and potentially making the map marine OP again.

Automation is also such a crucial point in the map that both teams need more opportunities to get in from their potential starting points. That is why I will leave it like it is now, but still opening up west cross to favor both teams while I keep making smaller changes all around according to how it plays in tests.
    Alpha version 6.03 published on the Workshop today!

Contains a few minor changes around the map. The biggest change is West Cross, which didn't change all that much.

Alpha 6.03 Change log:
    - Added pipe beneath middle catwalks in Mineral Processing.(Fixes stuck spots and players can no longer travel under it.)
    - Added ledge to the path between Generators and Mineral Processing.(Makes ARCs less effective on Mineral Processing as they need to travel further to hit the resource point. Makes it more Alien friendly with more cover.)
    - Moved Power Node in Generators.(Easier to cover for Marines, but still friendly for Aliens to attack.)
    - Moved Power Node in Cooling.(Can now be built by MACs and Marines don’t need to jump on top of a ledge to build it.)
    - Removed one table in Lounge which was blocking the main path through the room too much. Moved one other table to avoid a potential stuck spot.
    - Capped the random hole in the Ready Room.
    - Opened up the West Cross stairway section a bit and raised the southern part of the location.(Makes the stair sections shorter, easier for aliens to maintain some speed when going up. Makes the location a bit more friendly for Marines while still maintaining cover for Aliens.)
    - Split the slope going from West Cross to Pump Control into two slopes.(Makes it easier for Aliens to maintain speed when going upwards.)
    - Removed ventilation from Lounge to Cooling.(Further decreasing Alien chance of early game base rushes.)

Minimap:
    ns2_mineral_a603_layout.jpg
    New version is out on the workshop right NOW!

A 6.04 Change Log:

- Added ladders to pillars in Automation System(where it is logical!?) to allow marines to climb up.(Aliens can no longer be completely safe on top.)
    - Added some geometry on the top of the middle structure pillars in Automation System so that aliens can’t hide up there without effort.
    - Removed collision on many models that didn’t need it.(Still an ongoing process!)
    - Added new collision geometry that blocks bullets in many places.(Still an ongoing process!)
    - Moved middle girder on north wall in Storage south to avoid placebo ARC-spot to Drill Site.(Thanks Play-testers!)
    - Added railings to the stairs and some cover to the ceiling over the stairs in West Cross(Thanks Cr4zy!)
    - Redesigned Security to make it a more interesting area to play in, and to remove the ARC spot to West Cross potential Gorge tunnel.(Thanks Cr4zy!)
    - Redesigned Pump Control completely to be a more open location, still maintains Alien cover.(Thanks Cr4zy!)
    - Moved the power node in Transport Halls to the western corridor of the location.
    - Fixed vent in Production so that marines can’t glitch jump it(alone).(Thanks Cr4zy!)
    - Redid path from Production to Transfer to get rid of an ARC-spot from Production to Generators.
    - Moved Mineral Processing slightly north to avoid RT ARC-spot from Generators.(Thanks Cr4zy!)
    - Removed some pillars in Surface so that marines can armory block for free if they build base correctly.(Thanks Cr4zy!)
    - Turned off collision on all rock models in Drill Site and built new collision geometry for them to hopefully improve performance in the area(Thanks Cr4zy!)
    - Added sparks and blinking lights to doors that do not open.
    - Renamed Automation System to Automation.
    - Renamed Transport Halls to Transport.
    - Renamed Pumping Stations to Pump Stations.
    - Moved power node in Storage because spark was having a hard time figuring out that it was actually within a location, and thus not giving the room power.

Load it up yourself for minimap because I am lazy today!
    Hello everyone!

It's been a very long time since anything happened with Mineral, other than a small hotfix some time during the summer having to do with spawning under a floor in Mineral Processing when it was the starting hive.

The reason nothing has happened is because I needed a break, and the fact that other courses in my studies were taking up more time than I would like them to. I'd been working so hard on the project and was kind of burnt out by the end of april. Also, I wasn't sure about what to do next and what would happen on my recently started last year of studies. As of right now it has been confirmed that I get to continue working on this as a project in one of my classes. This means that work on Mineral will continue very soon. I just need to get settled in to the study situation again before I can do anything.

I'll be trying to organize some competitive playtests next week to get back in touch with the map on a "personal level", make some plans and then continue from where I left off.

Lastly I hope everyone had a great summer, I know I did.

Stay tuned!
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hives are big (tall). perfect for Jetpack and GLs.

If no fade are still up it's like a Veil/Cargo situation for many hives. They fall one by one.

You can test it locally on your computer. Take a JP and you find many things that should be addressed.