Debate: Co-based Players?

13»

Comments

• FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    I prefer NS over CO any day.

But when you are forced to comm 3 games in a row, cause you get everytime balanced to the rines and no one of your team will enter the CC, it becomes kind of boring. I want to comm a max of 1 out of 3 games. (Thats 1 Alien, 1 Rine and 1 Comm game) and not all the time.

Hell even winning does not compensate for beeing out of action for 3 rounds.

Maybe many CO-only player made bad experiences with NS. Having a bad team jumping in the CC witheout thinking and then beeing flamed etc. There are so many people out there who are new to NS and it is just said that most of them just play CO. How often do you hear the "How do we get better weapons question?" At least during 1 out of 2 rounds.

A plea to the devs and mappers: We need a training map (like hl hazard course).

Or just force ppl to RTFM.

regards Faskalia
  • LegatLegat Join Date: 2003-07-02 Member: 17868Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hell even winning does not compensate for beeing out of action for 3 rounds.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know your pain. I usually get stuck as permagorge and beg people to build resnodes so I can do my job.

2 out of 3 games on most pubs, Aliens lose because suddenly we have 4 hive 1 fades without chambers and 2 resnodes.
  • kolokolkolokol Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9166Members
    Do you ever get teamwork on co? E.g. most of team going ha and welding each other..or even just coving each other. If you know a good co server where this happens id love to give it a go.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think we are now learning an unfortunate lesson regarding team-based pub games. You guys say that pub games have gotten worse, and maybe that's true. But I don't think it has much to do with Combat, besides the rare newbie who has never played Classic before and wants to know how to level up. I think it's more related to the fact that since 2.0, we've taken NS away from the single-path strategies of 1.04 and diversified things a little.

You all should understand that most players don't take NS as seriously as you guys do. Most are just interested in enjoying themselves for a while, so they aren't going to invest the effort in learning the ins and outs of the game. I'm sure most of you have been similarly detached from games you aren't very involved in, so don't act like you don't understand why people don't want to do boring jobs when they're only playing for a quick fix.

In 1.04, the strategy was basically on autopilot: Permagorge DMS vs. JP/HMG rush, and everybody except the comm and the gorge got to play a unique FPS. Pubs were "better" because responsibility was at a bare minimum, so players who only felt like killing things were already doing their job for the team. Now in 3.0, everybody on the alien team has to pitch in to drop nodes and chambers and hives, and the team loses if too many people are uncooperative. Nothing has changed in the playerbase; it's just that the whole team suffers a lot more if they aren't all ideal players.

In other words, the newer versions of NS make the inherent flaws of pub play stand out much more clearly than in 1.04. We are paying the price for the game being made more strategically involved than it was before.