Help Save Airsoft In The Uk

13»

Comments

• FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    You should really stop that idiotic: No pointy objects discussion. Sure there is no need for people to carry knives around, but almost everything can proof to be quite an effective murder device

For example:
    I can kill you with a newspaper by puncturing your skull-bone with it. I also only need one swing and it takes about 2 seconds. So should way ban newspapers? Certainly not. The problem is that although a newspaper, if in the wrong/right hands, can be a deadly weapon it is also an object of common use. But certain objects make hurting or killing others really easy. Those include knives, axes, pike-stocks, glassbottles, swords, piano wires etc. If people are intending to hurt a certain person they will almost always succeed. By banning certain objects you can only prevent situations were such items are used in rage, because the offender happens to carry them around which is certainly a good thing.

So yes, ban knives from being carried in public.
  • Nil_IQNil_IQ Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15520Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1636103:date=Jun 27 2007, 07:39 AM:name=Faskalia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faskalia @ Jun 27 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]1636103[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    You should really stop that idiotic: No pointy objects discussion. Sure there is no need for people to carry knives around, but almost everything can proof to be quite an effective murder device

(... stuff ...)

So yes, ban knives from being carried in public.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you were referring to me, I concede the point on the basis that this thread started two years ago and I was talking out of my arse back then.

The problem with banning carrying knives in public is it makes it technically illegal to buy any kind of knife... which AFAIK is the current situation in the UK. Sure, you can <i>buy</i> a kitchen knife, but if you get pulled over for a "routine check" on the drive home as I have twice and they find a knife, they have every right to arrest you. Until you can prove you had a "reasonable cause" for having it.

The other thing that irks me was the raising of the legal age to buy knives from 16 to 18. This essentially means no-one under the age of 18 is allowed to buy cooking utensils they might genuinely need for that purpose. I know I bought myself a kitchen knife when I was 17, in fact I've still got it today.

Are they seriously suggesting that none of these 16-to-17 year old knife murderers they're so worried about will know anyone over 18 (or with a fake ID) that can buy it for them?

With regard to the whole airsoft thing; are you sure the law is changing? I can't find any news articles beyond 2005 suggesting anything but a proposed ban which never happened.
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    Before I start here are some links <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6054264.stm" target="_blank">bbc 2005</a>
    <a href="http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=71" target="_blank">uk airsoft forum (need to register</a>
    I'll copy the faq
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q: What is the VCRB?

A: It stands for Violent Crime Reduction Bill, and amongst many other things it includes a section banning the sale, manufacture or importing of Realistic Imitation Firearms. We use RIFs to play airsoft, so when the Bill takes effect you won't be able to buy new airsoft guns as they are. You will still be able to own the ones you have, and you can buy parts to maintain them.

Q: When can this bill take effect?

A: It already has! It hasn't yet been enforced though, but will be from April 6th 2007.

Q: What is a RIF?

A: Replica Imitation Firearm. We don't have a full legal definition of the difference between a RIF and an IF, but IF's will still be legal to buy after the VCRB (though you must be over 18). Essentially, by my interpretation a RIF is something that really does look like a real gun, whereas an IF is a gunlike object that could be easily distinguished from a real gun, i.e. a clear plastic water pistol. This hasn't been tested legally mind, it's just a rough guide from my interpretaion of the law. The Home Office will have to establish this difference at some point.

Q: So what can we buy after the VCRB?

A: You can still buy IF's if you're over 18, which could be brightly coloured airsoft guns, though the exact specifications have yet to be published. In order to buy RIFs you will need to be able to prove that you are an airsoft skirmisher, as directed by the Home Office. This will entail registering as such at a site with a site which has 3rd party Publi Liability Insurance. There is a suggestion that you may have to play a minimum number of times (possibly 3, but don't hold me to that) in order to be classed as a skirmisher. The ABA is currently working on a datbase which would assist skirmishers and retailers when buying and selling RIFs Retailers have now been given an exemption to import RIFs for conversion to IFs for sale to the public. Parts will be unaffected.

Q: I'm a collector and I don't skirmish. Can I still buy RIFs?

A: Nope. You will need to be an airsoft skirmisher.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I've recently gotten into it and I was talking to a supplier and he said that the bill was passing soon and he wouldn't be allowed to sell airsoft guns any more as is the same with some others. The only trouble is they are trying to work out technicalities in the bill. if you really want to you can look at the forum if you can be assed to register or if you have some thing in particular I can look in it for you. Any how thus bill will be some what annoying as airsoft over the last few years has really started to take off and most air soft players don't tend to go round flashing there guns and are pretty sensible about it. hope the links help.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1636112:date=Jun 27 2007, 04:04 PM:name=Nil_IQ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nil_IQ @ Jun 27 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]1636112[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    The problem with banning carrying knives in public is it makes it technically illegal to buy any kind of knife... which AFAIK is the current situation in the UK. Sure, you can <i>buy</i> a kitchen knife, but if you get pulled over for a "routine check" on the drive home as I have twice and they find a knife, they have every right to arrest you. Until you can prove you had a "reasonable cause" for having it.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt you are going to be arrested because you were transporting a kitchen knife in your trunk.

Over here (germany) a sport-shooter is allowed to transport his weapon to the shooting range, as long as you keeps ammo and weapon separate (weapon in the trunk, ammo in the glove compartment). This is to avoid police officers being at risk, as well as to prevent acts of rage. So there is imho no reason to prohibit transporting knives or even daggers/swords in your trunk. Of course, if you get pulled over several times and every time you have some 20 blades in your trunk police should be suspicious and investigate further, but thats just common sense.