What stops you from preordering ?

Comments

• PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1737156:date=Nov 10 2009, 09:06 PM:name=borsuk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (borsuk @ Nov 10 2009, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now can we please go back to topic ? It's about what keeps you from pre-ordering.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well a lot of the previous posts had to do with Linux.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I gave my reason, you can give yours. If UWE made an official statement they are going to release a linux client, with delay or not, I would preorder. I like many things they say about NS2, especially modding capabilities and designing the engine and tools so that it can be useful for a small team. FPS games get harder and harder to mod. Back in Q2 days you could easily create a map and play on it. Yes, you'd usually have to use stock textures and stuff, but this gave you more time to focus on other things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Similar to others people's reasons, I am waiting till the game has an official release date(backed up with gameplay videos, etc).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How would you liked it if someone told you to install Linux just to play a game ? That's just rude.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's exactly how this works - if you want to play Uncharted 2, you buy a PS3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. It's not rude, it's just how it works. The reason for UWE for working only on a Windows version(as of now) is because the majority of people use or at least have a Windows OS, while there is only a minority of Linux users.

I said earlier that "As for UWE making a Linux version, step 1 for them is to release the game at all.", with the recent announcement of a delay for NS2, what they need right now is just a working game on any platform. Considering a lot of people are Windows users, they decided to work on a Windows version first.
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737230:date=Nov 11 2009, 01:27 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 11 2009, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For ######'s sake. That's exactly how this works - if you want to play Uncharted 2, you buy a PS3. You don't whine about how Uncharted isn't multiplatform, you get the proper hardware if playing it is important enough to you to warrant the expense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since this thread is 'What stops you from preordering?' and developers mentioned that they might add Lunix support, people have reposnded 'I won't be preordering because of the lack of Linux support. Your example isn't comparable because a PS3 is both the hardware and software and Uncharted 2 is a console exclusive and therefore will not add Xbox360 in the future.

There's no reason for a Lunix only user to <i>preorder</i> when there is no Linux support, and the devs have said they might Lunix support in the future (after release and there would logically no longer be a preorder option...). It's the same logic as someone not pre-ordering for the Xbox360 even through the Devs have said they plan to port to that system also.

No one has demanded support, simply said they aren't buying a product before it is released do to it not being offered on the platform they prefer. That is a very logical reason. Additionally I have pre-ordered already, said I would prefer to have a Linux version instead and somehow that was still treated like an unreasonable request.
  • SvartalfSvartalf Join Date: 2009-11-10 Member: 69340Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737230:date=Nov 11 2009, 07:27 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 11 2009, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to be clear, this isn't an argument for pre-ordering or not. I'm not going to personally until there is a solid release date and reasons to believe that date won't slip.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The question was, "What stops you from preordering?" The people saying lack of at-release Linux support are answering the
    question legitimately ("just dual boot" is BS in light of that....) just in the same manner YOUR answer here that I quoted is
    based upon UnknownWorlds stating that there was a good chance of Linux and MacOS support after release- they just don't
    have the resources to make it happen for rollout right at the moment.

No need to get riled up.
    No need to tell people "just dual boot".
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737342:date=Nov 12 2009, 05:01 PM:name=Svartalf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svartalf @ Nov 12 2009, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The question was, "What stops you from preordering?" The people saying lack of at-release Linux support are answering the
    question legitimately<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Far be it from me to say you should or shouldn't pre-order; all I'm saying is that if you really want to play the game, you'll get an OS that is supported. Pretty uncontroversial, no?
  • tmpdirtmpdir Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69325Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1737203:date=Nov 11 2009, 02:29 PM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Nov 11 2009, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fair enough. I just think it gets silly when it reaches the "demanding" phase, or "I'm not buying this game until its Linux!!!11" phase. If they said it was eventually coming out for Linux then I would understand, but...anyways you're right, lets get back on topic<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yah... the demanding phrase I don't like either... but don't forget linux users are people to.

(although I know a guy that types faster than I do in the rithme of a song... that dude is a grey area)
    I'm finding it hard not to respond on some of the insights on this page. The topic is always fun to talk about and never leads to concensus ;). But in all my wisdom I've decided to respect the thread poster (never know if the dude/dudette is bigger that I am).

But if someone decides to start a thread for this discussion...
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    What stops me from preordering? First off, I need a better computer. Second off, I find it hard to believe anything that Unknown Worlds Entertainment says about the release date. After the forum outage for over a year (if I remember correctly), and what seems like numerous delays and "it will be ready when it's ready" mentality on nearly everything that the company does, what they say does not resonate with credibility for me. Sure they produced an awesome game, Natural Selection. But right now I don't know if NS2 will be ready next year or if I'll have to wait until 2015.
    <!--quoteo(post=1737344:date=Nov 12 2009, 05:09 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 12 2009, 05:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Far be it from me to say you should or shouldn't pre-order; all I'm saying is that if you really want to play the game, you'll get an OS that is supported. Pretty uncontroversial, no?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed. The thing is, there's the subject of whether or not it will be supported (UW has said that was likely...)- and to whit, if the said support isn't there, why preorder?

No need to point out what you keep trying to...it's not the subject of the thread to begin with. That's where the controversy comes from, sir... :-D
    <!--quoteo(post=1737359:date=Nov 12 2009, 07:41 PM:name=tmpdir)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmpdir @ Nov 12 2009, 07:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yah... the demanding phrase I don't like either... but don't forget linux users are people to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heh... I don't agree with the "demanding" phase of things any more than anyone in this forum does. There's a reason I
    told people when the subject came up over at Phoronix to leave that garbage at the door if they came over here. In the
    end, this is the NS/NS2 fans' turf and we're "outsiders" right at the moment- demanding never works and it results in
    people like me never getting the port deals in the first place... ;-)
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1737379:date=Nov 12 2009, 11:40 PM:name=Svartalf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svartalf @ Nov 12 2009, 11:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heh... I don't agree with the "demanding" phase of things any more than anyone in this forum does. There's a reason I
    told people when the subject came up over at Phoronix to leave that garbage at the door if they came over here. In the
    end, this is the NS/NS2 fans' turf and we're "outsiders" right at the moment- demanding never works and it results in
    people like me never getting the port deals in the first place... ;-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wasn't planning on talking in this thread again, but while you're quoting me... I thinks most of the talking here is rather respectfull. This has not always been the case on other forums i've read. Before you came we had a extremely good, respectfull, insightfull, talk and all the windows versus linux stuff are all solved to be never spoken of again, man you mist out :P

Personally? I hope they lauch the windows version tomorrow and not to long after that the linux port to make extra money for cool updates and future developments.

Now this loose thread needs to go where it belongs.
  • Mr. BohMr. Boh Join Date: 2009-11-14 Member: 69377Members
    I would pre-order the more expensive option immediately if it were on steam and there was a vague release date. It really is looking like vaporware at the moment.
  • WirheWirhe Join Date: 2003-06-22 Member: 17610Members
    Same as above, but also the fact that I don't have a credit card. I have also heard that PayPal occasionally robs people by closing their account (for any reason) and keeping the money.
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737624:date=Nov 14 2009, 04:30 PM:name=Mr. Boh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Boh @ Nov 14 2009, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would pre-order the more expensive option immediately if it were on steam and there was a vague release date. It really is looking like vaporware at the moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well we know it isn't vaporware though which is good :P
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    People have forgotten how vaporware looks like.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    does vaporware look like development tweets every day and screenshots/media being released on a cycle measured in weeks? NS2 productions has sped up 1000 fold since a couple months ago, its a little backwards to call it vaporware :P
  • thefishythefishy Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69420Members
    edited November 2009
    Okay, A LOT of incorrect statements have been made.

1. Linux is not for pirates, its to provide a better environment for certain things that windows doesn't provide.

I for one use Linux and BSD for stability and servers. I hope the NS2 team sees that most gaming servers are ran on Linux based operating systems.

2. Linux/Unix based OS's are NOT ALWAYS free. Look at MAC OS X. There is also Linspire and other un-free distros like red hat and others.

Windows 7 does not go under 100 dollars (cite: <a href="http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102)" target="_blank">http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windo...7/category/102)</a>

3. Linux is hard to setup in comparison

Okay multiple problems with this. First I am the customer. I am buying something here. I want it to be able to do what I want without any extra work as most sane customers do. Second the opposite works as well. You should be able to have to install linux and they should do it under a free license because its easier for them and they will get community support for free. As well, what if the game was only made for Mac OS support. Would you say "hey get a hackintosh, its easier then the devs writing a port" when you probably haven't even programmed before.

Statements of Truth:

Windows is just as easy as Linux, most people are scared to uninstall their OS and have the possibility of calling a repair person just because they see others using something different. Its a reasonable feeling. People don't see how hard installing windows is half the time. People using linux more and more. Look at Mac again, they pre-install it on their computers and people go crazy over it.

Most users do use windows for gaming but unix-like systems have about 15% of the share of running Home computers. unix-like oses have the market share of servers for about 85%.

I use windows for gaming. I know after all I said about unix-like systems being great and they are, I use windows on 50% of my machines because windows does have devs for it and that hasn't changed yet. There is a ton of support for windows via hardware vendors making the video drivers for that OS better then others.

Conclusion:

A Linux port?

A linux port would be great and would help expand the gaming community on linux. There is also the fact that the community will always recreate ports of games, look at <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous</a> compared to NS1. in fact take a peak at <a href="http://whdb.com/2008/top-25-linux-games-for-2008/" target="_blank">http://whdb.com/2008/top-25-linux-games-for-2008/</a> and tell me how many games you see that are ports of other games. As well, would a port be profitable. Well I think if you took about 6 months to put one out it would bring a decent profit which isn't to bad for a port. If you don't have native linux server support you will see NS2 crash and die for lack of servers. Hell even valve knows this, look at scrds and hlds.

Final say:

Port - Would be best all around but not needed.
    Server support - MUST! You need to release this.

So whats keeping me from pre-ordering?

Lack of data for the game and the fact that I'm worrying that it's going to be vaporware. I have not seen much that DNF didn't provide and I saw what happened there. Besides the company/dev team is new to this and I don't want to risk it. may it be 5 dollars to 100 dollars its still my money and 5 dollars can buy me a ton. I have lost 20 dollars, gone back to the parking lot that I thought I lost it at, went inside of the store to see if anyone returned it and looks around to see if it was on the ground and would still do that. To throw your money around is stupid. I think that throwing money at the dev team and hoping they release is the most retarded thing to do. If it's vaporware and I get rammed out of my 20 dollars from ANY company including valve, ea, or blizzard or any others even I would take legal action. No exceptions. It's not just the money at that point and for people to allow companies to do that have no morals.

That and I hate paypal and wont ever use it.

Thats my 2 cents.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Linux dedicated server will come, just not in alpha or the first release, that was afaik the latest statement.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1738220:date=Nov 19 2009, 11:19 AM:name=thefishy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefishy @ Nov 19 2009, 11:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I chose to buy a car that runs on vegetable oil, Shell should be <b>forced</b> to supply me with vegetable oil so that I can always fuel up. I <b>DESERVE</b> it.
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1738230:date=Nov 19 2009, 07:37 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 19 2009, 07:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I chose to buy a car that runs on vegetable oil, Shell should be <b>forced</b> to supply me with vegetable oil so that I can always fuel up. I <b>DESERVE</b> it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You fail at reading. He is saying "If shell provided vegetable oil for my superior vegetable oil car I would buy your vegetable oil. Please make vegetable oil."

No demanding, no entitlement, just a logical reason why it would be a good idea for them to provide the game client on a second platform. Yeah he said a linux server is a must, but even windows only games like Battlefield have Linux servers...
    <!--quoteo(post=1738244:date=Nov 19 2009, 04:50 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Nov 19 2009, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You fail at reading. He is saying "If shell provided vegetable oil <b>for my superior vegetable oil car</b> I would buy your vegetable oil. Please make vegetable oil."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And that's why Linux and Linux users should remain ignored and irrelevant.
    <!--quoteo(post=1738245:date=Nov 19 2009, 10:56 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 19 2009, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And that's why Linux and Linux users should remain ignored and irrelevant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because you disagree with the claim or because you think their explanation of why they chose one system over another is offensive somehow?

Your argument would apply to movies as "Everyone watches summer blockbuster movies like 2012 type so movie companies should make more movies for that crowd. Watchers of films with real plots should remain ignored and irrelevant."
    <!--quoteo(post=1738246:date=Nov 19 2009, 05:23 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Nov 19 2009, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because you disagree with the claim or because you think their explanation of why they chose one system over another is offensive somehow?

Your argument would apply to movies as "Everyone watches summer blockbuster movies like 2012 type so movie companies should make more movies for that crowd. Watchers of films with real plots should remain ignored and irrelevant."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Call of Duty 4
    Call of Duty 5
    Call of Duty 6
    Killzone 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Uncharted 2
    Gears of War 2
    Halo 3
    Fallout 3

.... umm.
    <!--quoteo(post=1738249:date=Nov 19 2009, 11:50 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 19 2009, 11:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Call of Duty 4
    Call of Duty 5
    Call of Duty 6
    Killzone 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Uncharted 2
    Gears of War 2
    Halo 3
    Fallout 3

.... umm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you are saying that the makers of Natural Selection should remain ignored and irrelevant because their superior game (NS1) is not as popular and widely played as the games you listed?
  • eoyeoy Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32860Members
    15 minute games.

If the rounds will be that short this simply isn't the game for me. I play a lot of Heroes of Newerth, and there my average game lasts 40 minutes and that's how I, and ######loads of other people like it. You get the occasional 15min game once in a while, but then it doesn't feel like a real loss / victory at all, and you consider it a bad game. Or at least I do.
  • thefishythefishy Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69420Members
    First I am saying that a linux client would be nice, it wouldn't ruin them if they didn't have one but for a server client not to be on linux would probably ruin them because you guys wouldn't have many servers to play on. I would hope it was released with the first release or people will probablly wait to buy it. A lot of smart gamers out there check on a lot of main things such as how hard it is to set up a server and if even connecting to a server causes a lot of routing work. This is why borderlands crashed and died even though its game and marketing for it was great. They ended up releasing the game when it required many ports to be forward to connect or host a server. Most gamers don't even want to deal with that, look at l4d2. One port needs to be forwarded <a href="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029152" target="_blank">http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1029152</a> and valve knows they gamers hate forwarding ports in the first place so they keep the same port for each game they make. 27015 and if something is being used on that port it then defaults to 27015++ (meaning 27015 + 1 until it hits something thats not taken) anyways a linux server would allow others to have more confidence that there will be servers to play on. Thats the worst thing about a game.

To request a linux client or anything in a game is not a dumb thing to do like some have been thinking. It's just like if people where to request a Mac client. It's not like requesting an xbox game be put on the ps2. Its like requesting an xbox game be able to play on the xbox360. Not to imply linux is better then windows. its just the hardware is the same, the software is a little different but not incredibly. It would not be hard to port it and to act like the CUSTOMER should just dual boot is retarded and makes you look like you have no business sense and no morals.
  • garvanigarvani Join Date: 2009-09-02 Member: 68678Members
    eoy: You havnt read much about the game huh? The devs have stated that the game is easily mod-able and also stated that it wont be much work to mod it to make games last longer, i seem to recall them saying it would be a couple hundred lines of LUA (i cant be assed looking for the link however)
  • do0rkn0bdo0rkn0b Join Date: 2009-06-15 Member: 67847Members
    SUP DUKE, I HEARD YOU WERE STARRING IN A NEW GAME CALLED NATURAL SELECTION 2.
  • istheone100istheone100 Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72463Members
    anybody will know if this will run on mac cuse if it dont no point for me of getting this game i love this ns have not play it for a long time but wish just wish this would be on mac
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1779948:date=Jul 17 2010, 02:41 AM:name=istheone100)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (istheone100 @ Jul 17 2010, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anybody will know if this will run on mac cuse if it dont no point for me of getting this game i love this ns have not play it for a long time but wish just wish this would be on mac<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    roflmao good going ancient bump

System Requirements:

1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, Steam, mouse, keyboard and an internet connection.

I know there are masses hoping for a linux port and while I am sure they would love to open the market to mac users I don't think its on the priority
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    edited July 2010
    can't they just use VM?