The Lerk is useless now.

Impatient21Impatient21 Join Date: 2010-10-15 Member: 74458Members
I miss being able to fly around as a lerk and terrorizing marines, something that will be impossible without the lerk having a melee attack to his name. I mean, he's got massive jaws, why shouldn't he be able to bite? Before, the lerk was generally the only response to the JPs besides the fades who will be useless with what they've done to Blink. Bring back the Lerk's melee attack.

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The lerk is the alien long range attacker. thats cool. i like it that way.
  • Impatient21Impatient21 Join Date: 2010-10-15 Member: 74458Members
    No, that's not cool. He has massive jaws, why shouldn't he be able to use them? Lerk is supposed to be a mixed support offensive class, and to do that, he needs a viable means of close range defense. It makes no sense that he can't bite. UW went way too far with the alien nerf. All rines have to do is get nades and then spam them til the aliens die.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    what the f... ? :D
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    True. Fades will not be able to deal with jetpacks as they did in NS1. You can't blink to a given spot in the air that is not the ceiling. Lerk should have a melee attack as well as spikes. Hopefully the devs will see this problem when jetpacks are finished.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    they can spike them.

The lerk are tiny and fragile, they should not have melee combat.
    It also makes more sense because that way each class has it's own playstyle.
    edited November 2010
    No it doesn't make ANY sense. Lerks are not tiny and fragile, either. You're making no sense. JPs move too fast to get spiked. Ugh.. I'm trying to be polite. None of your points make any sense.

Each class doesn't need to have it's own playstyle, it needs to have a playstyle that compliments other classes. That's called TEAMWORK. The Lerk's main purpose is to hunt down JPs and provide support for ground aliens by gassing ground rines.
  • HoAxHoAx Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26347Members
    I agree they should have some sort of bite. I have a feeling it will change, Besides at one time this is how the Lerk was in NS1 and then they added a bite and removed spikes.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/bring_back_the_v3_lerk" target="_blank">Bring back the Lerk!</a>
    @Impatient21:
    actually you didn't give a good argument.
    The jetpacks are not even in yet and you complain the lerk is useless?
    And for teamplay, exactly, the lerk has a support role, he stays behind and supports the fades/skulks/onoses in front. That is teamplay.
    There is no need for another class on the frontline, or with other words, a skulks with wings.

We can worry about the jetpacks when they are in. For now, the lerks is a really fun class and REALLY usefull.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810440:date=Nov 25 2010, 02:20 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Nov 25 2010, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Impatient21:
    actually you didn't give a good argument.
    The jetpacks are not even in yet and you complain the lerk is useless?
    And for teamplay, exactly, the lerk has a support role, he stays behind and supports the fades/skulks/onoses in front. That is teamplay.
    There is no need for another class on the frontline, or with other words, a skulks with wings.

We can worry about the jetpacks when they are in. For now, the lerks is a really fun class and REALLY usefull.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Basically this^. The role they are creating for the lerk does make sense. They should be more of a support class, and less raw combat. They are easily the fastest moving of any alien, and if you coupled that with overpowered frontline abilities it will become too unbalanced.
  • GingerNinjaGingerNinja Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75091Members
    I have a decent argument for bring back lerk bite:

It was FUN. A lot of fun...

I rly miss swooping down from the rafters and noming on some unsuspecting marine....

I mean giving it a bite is hardly overpowered in my mind. Especially if you just made it a weaker bite than the skulk.

If anything, giving a long ranged weapon to a class that can escape combat so easily is the overpowered thing! It makes it so the lerk is basically never in danger. No danger - no fun.
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    edited November 2010
    Noone is going to be lerk in public servers if there are jetpacks and HA'd guys with LMGs there. Not unless another ability can deal good amounts of damage to marines.

But meh, maybe we just need to get used to the spikes. Will wait and see I guess, they'll no doubt change it later if it's not working.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810434:date=Nov 25 2010, 07:06 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Nov 25 2010, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True. Fades will not be able to deal with jetpacks as they did in NS1. You can't blink to a given spot in the air that is not the ceiling. Lerk should have a melee attack as well as spikes. Hopefully the devs will see this problem when jetpacks are finished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No confirmation on jetpack flight model. At this point it could be anything.

I'm mostly worried about lerk being forced to play safe without any way to really commit into attacking. The risk & reward was a big deal on alien play on NS1. Now, with spikes quite a bit less.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The lerk are tiny and fragile, they should not have melee combat.
    It also makes more sense because that way each class has it's own playstyle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the bite & spore combo made lerk quite unique and interesting. I'm generally all around player and lerking is the only thing I can't really do one bit. Spikes sure are quite unique, but they also need to have more detail than peek a boo from a vent.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    Change that topic you fool.

Lerk is by far the most powerful/useful unit in NS2
    My argument is better than yours is. You probably are angry because it makes it so you cant JP HMG ######, since it's the only way you can get kills. >_>
    i'm playing alien commander and never played jp+hmg (in ns1 i was usually a gorge).

But i feel some anger on your part.
    Seriously, currently the lerk is one of the best classes in NS2, and will be even more with less lag where you can 2 shoot kill marines from far away.
    I use it to take out power nodes from a save distance, spore the marines when they are in combat with skulks. Really, currently the lerk is very powerfull. We can talk about this when JP is back.

By the way, there is no HMG in NS2.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    Of course he is useless now, he is vastly overshadowed by the Fade killing machine.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    I guess I never got the hang of flying and biting in the original NS, so using the lerk strictly at a distance in NS2 feels natural to me.
  • ownosownos Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75124Members
    lerk is fine, no reason to whine, muffle ya chimes. plx
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1810447:date=Nov 25 2010, 10:36 AM:name=Impatient21)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Impatient21 @ Nov 25 2010, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My argument is better than yours is. You probably are angry because it makes it so you cant JP HMG ######, since it's the only way you can get kills. >_><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol, are you 6 years old?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    he is. read his posts, all about provocating other people. how was that behavior called again?
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1810465:date=Nov 25 2010, 04:16 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Nov 25 2010, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->he is. read his posts, all about provocating other people. how was that behavior called again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A tantrum :D
    Is nobody going to respond to my arguement?

The fact that lerk bite in NS1 was fun and that it need not be overpowered in NS2 if it was implemented right?

First and foremost this is a game and as such should be FUN. :p
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1810468:date=Nov 25 2010, 04:20 PM:name=GingerNinja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GingerNinja @ Nov 25 2010, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is nobody going to respond to my arguement?

The fact that lerk bite in NS1 was fun and that it need not be overpowered in NS2 if it was implemented right?

First and foremost this is a game and as such should be FUN. :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK, here's my simple counter argument:
    what is fun for you =/= good game

What works for one person doesn't necessarily work the best for the whole.

FUN = a balanced game, much moreso than a single awesome ability or class.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    he can simply SHOOT jetpackers from the sky... jetpackers cant do ###### against it... they are gased and sniped... after two hits they are DEAD.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810427:date=Nov 25 2010, 02:58 PM:name=Impatient21)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Impatient21 @ Nov 25 2010, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean, he's got massive jaws, why shouldn't he be able to bite?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

looks more like a beak then a massive jaw.
    Ah yes, a good counter arguement.

But I said that I would like to see it implemented in a way that doesnt unbalance. By making the bite weaker.

And I would also like to repeat my assertion that I believe the lerk to be more overpowered now than it ever was with bite in NS1. Due to it being solely long range and more than capable of escaping combat due to its high mobility.

Thoughts? :)
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    Sniping = fun, biting = skulk
    edited November 2010
    PLUS:

What fun is a flying class when the only flying you actually do is to and from combat. You cant fly and attack with spikes (... some people might be able to sure..).

Flying half the map just to sit down at long range and point and click is no fun (for me at least..).

I miss being involved!

EDIT: I understand that a lot of people love sniping. But you have to admit that its a little odd to give the sniper ability to the lerk; the most dynamic and manouverable class of all....
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810479:date=Nov 25 2010, 08:31 PM:name=GrapeVine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrapeVine @ Nov 25 2010, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sniping = fun, biting = skulk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, obviously onos and skulk are too similar because they both have melee attack. No, wait, maybe we should look a bit deeper into how those lifeforms work. Skulk is disposable lifeform that looks to trade lives whenever possible. Lerk is very far from disposable.