NS2 Progress

Comments

• SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1831989:date=Feb 14 2011, 12:37 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Feb 14 2011, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"ARC fully playable (targeting, cooldown, etc.)"

Finally an alternative to the poor/non-existent structure killing capabilities of the GL and FT. It better not be a L2-restricted upgrade or our IPs will look even more tasty to the current FT-GL-fearing aliens. And naturally if it was L3 then the odds of seeing it in game would be close to never because it wouldn't be necessary to win. No choice. It must be L1... >:)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In regards to grenades, wth are you talking about? IIRC, they take out Hydras in one shot. And if they are close by, you can take out several in one. Truly destroys them. In terms of DPS, I think the shotgun trumps it, but for storming defenses with typically low (relative) HP structures, it owns.

Flame thrower isn't meant to do a lot of damage. It is primarily a support weapon. I don't know if the halting of alien energy regen (when they are on fire) has been implemented yet, but it will also destroy DI once that is in.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    So we have a noob tube on wheels now? :P
    Also the robotics factory looks so epic! I was wondering what that box in the alpha trailer was!
  • wazups2xwazups2x Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72902Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1831670:date=Feb 11 2011, 11:45 PM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Feb 11 2011, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone else just notice that natural selection 2 now has an icon in the steam game library now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I just noticed that today.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832036:date=Feb 13 2011, 10:33 PM:name=Skiddywinks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skiddywinks @ Feb 13 2011, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In regards to grenades, wth are you talking about? <u>IIRC, they take out Hydras in one shot</u>. And if they are close by, you can take out several in one. Truly destroys them. In terms of DPS, I think the shotgun trumps it, but for storming defenses with typically low (relative) HP structures, it owns.

Flame thrower isn't meant to do a lot of damage. It is primarily a support weapon. I don't know if the halting of alien energy regen (when they are on fire) has been implemented yet, but it will also destroy DI once that is in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait are we talking about the game as it's described in the game design document or how it's actually played?

Ignoring the "it's a perfectly balanced game on paper and in spreadsheet form" bull######, the rule of the land is never leave marine start without a shotgun or flamethrower. If you plan to do a lot of dieing, like to clear a room of hydra and whips, then a rifle is a good choice because its <u>free</u>. If you gotta kill an annoying base-camping lerk then use a FT.

Personal gripes against the current <u>marine grenadier role</u>:

Cons:

Doesn't have a shotgun or FT so he is next to useless against the alien players.

Wasted 30 res on the standard-free RIFLE.

The tampon launcher:

Cons:

30 res?! The SG+FT+P38-Luger are way more useful then the GL. Perhaps the GL should cost 5 (for 5 shots) and be a L1 research.

Slow reload time + limited damage per shot + arched-trajectory on a target that is IN THE SAME ROOM = nerf.

Bouncy-Delayed-Explosion-Giant-Blue-Glowing-Fail ammo that are designed to 1) Miss, 2) Give aliens enough time to run away, 3) Hurt/Kill the user, 4) Tell the alien team "Here i am!".

Limited ammo results in a high frequency of ammo/med requests which, besides costing team-res, will result in drawing the commanders attention away from his responsibilities so he can support a "support"-marine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the most part, the only time i ever use a GL is when an armory is dropped near a hive so i can temporarily switch to the "siege rifle" to kill a hive, and then return to SG, but seeing as how an armory cannot be dropped on infestation, it's very clear that i will rarely purchase the GL, and ONLY when its the only choice because not even a shotgun is available.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cannot wait to ride the siege tank to glory, with my trusty squad of shotgun marines. See sig for additional info :P
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    In NS1 the GL didn't even have a rifle. It was a necessary weapon anyways. He has to be supported by the team, and it is good this way.
  • CymenCymen Join Date: 2010-12-10 Member: 75593Members
    I can't even remember half of the stuff that is put into 163...it's going to be HUGE!
    I wonder if they add the prototype DI, too or if they hold it back for another build or two...I hope it's it 163 XD
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832235:date=Feb 14 2011, 04:32 PM:name=Cymen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymen @ Feb 14 2011, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't even remember half of the stuff that is put into 163...it's going to be HUGE!
    I wonder if they add the prototype DI, too or if they hold it back for another build or two...I hope it's it 163 XD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You and me both, hopefully it gets tested out by the playtesters for some feedback, even if it doesn't make it in 163. I envy those Gorges for first dips on prototype DI :<
    <!--quoteo(post=1832204:date=Feb 14 2011, 10:23 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Feb 14 2011, 10:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait are we talking about the game as it's described in the game design document or how it's actually played?

Ignoring the "it's a perfectly balanced game on paper and in spreadsheet form" bull######, the rule of the land is never leave marine start without a shotgun or flamethrower. If you plan to do a lot of dieing, like to clear a room of hydra and whips, then a rifle is a good choice because its <u>free</u>. If you gotta kill an annoying base-camping lerk then use a FT.

Personal gripes against the current <u>marine grenadier role</u>:

Cons:

Doesn't have a shotgun or FT so he is next to useless against the alien players.

Wasted 30 res on the standard-free RIFLE.

The tampon launcher:

Cons:

30 res?! The SG+FT+P38-Luger are way more useful then the GL. Perhaps the GL should cost 5 (for 5 shots) and be a L1 research.

Slow reload time + limited damage per shot + arched-trajectory on a target that is IN THE SAME ROOM = nerf.

Bouncy-Delayed-Explosion-Giant-Blue-Glowing-Fail ammo that are designed to 1) Miss, 2) Give aliens enough time to run away, 3) Hurt/Kill the user, 4) Tell the alien team "Here i am!".

Limited ammo results in a high frequency of ammo/med requests which, besides costing team-res, will result in drawing the commanders attention away from his responsibilities so he can support a "support"-marine.

For the most part, the only time i ever use a GL is when an armory is dropped near a hive so i can temporarily switch to the "siege rifle" to kill a hive, and then return to SG, but seeing as how an armory cannot be dropped on infestation, it's very clear that i will rarely purchase the GL, and ONLY when its the only choice because not even a shotgun is available.
    Cannot wait to ride the siege tank to glory, with my trusty squad of shotgun marines. See sig for additional info :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Grenadier is a support role. Just like the FT is meant to be. I only ever get a GL if there is someone about with a SG, or at least two other people in general. You take out the hives, hydras and soon the DI, and the other guys do the alien killing.

I kinda agree with the cost. It does seem a little steep for something you get half of for free anyway.

I do think the fuse on it is a little long, but that is a life saver if you mess up a shot, which seems to happen sometimes recently, as if the grenade does not leave the gun where you think it is, messing up aiming when shooting into a nearby vent for example. At long range it works fine.

And it does not cost carbon to drop med kits or ammo, only plasma.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2011
    Countdown anyone?
    Will it be released today? Which time in gmt +1h? (which means i guess -9h in us washington time)
    Im so exited to see the DI growing all over the map.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    ^ Don't be. They said a while ago DI won't be in the next patch and probably not the one after that.

Recent tweet: "We're in "lockdown" mode for tomorrow's patch. <b>No more features, only fixes</b>. #fb about 15 hours ago"
    edited February 2011
    DI prototype was at Accepted status, has it taken out?
    I guess not.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    The prototype is functional, but Cory mentioned that this alone broke gameplay (I assume some key features have yet to be implemented), so it'll likely be delayed from public testing for a few patches.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Smells like patch day.
  • natostanconatostanco Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81912Members
    Can someone tell me at what GMT time the patch usually gets released? thanks.
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832348:date=Feb 15 2011, 02:15 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 15 2011, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The prototype is functional, but Cory mentioned that this alone broke gameplay (I assume some key features have yet to be implemented), so it'll likely be delayed from public testing for a few patches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We will see.
    If its realy not in, its very bad because it was announced.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    no, it seems to be random (to me).
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't mind if DI is in. If it breaks gameplay, who cares, I(*we) can't really play much anyway due to performance problems, so we might as well try out the new features and see how they work in this incarnation.
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832387:date=Feb 15 2011, 06:11 PM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Feb 15 2011, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't mind if DI is in. If it breaks gameplay, who cares, I can't really play much anyway due to performance problems, so we might as well try out the new features and see how they work in this incarnation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because of your peformence problems you grudge Di to others? Very nice...
    I guess if DI get over some place, it increase the peformence, because of occlusion culling ^^
    Anyway, waiting time, i guess it will not released today or maybe at 00:00
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832385:date=Feb 15 2011, 06:05 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 15 2011, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We will see.
    If its realy not in, its very bad because it was announced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was not announced, it was on the tracker because they worked on it.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    prototype DI should be added in just for show at this point. it dosn't have to do anything gameplay wise, just put it in to test how well it performs on servers and clients.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1832385:date=Feb 15 2011, 12:05 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 15 2011, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We will see.
    If its realy not in, its very bad because it was announced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was announced that they were working on a prototype for just testing purposes.

But it was NOT announced that it was going in the next patch. Cory also mentioned it probably wouldn't be in the next patch. Besides, there will probably be other features to look forward to.
  • syprosypro Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69195Members
    edited February 2011
    So, patch soon ? It's 22pm here should i wait or will it be to late for me.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't expect the patch for another few hours. Go to bed. ;)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1832383:date=Feb 15 2011, 08:44 AM:name=natostanco)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (natostanco @ Feb 15 2011, 08:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can someone tell me at what GMT time the patch usually gets released? thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When it's done.
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832493:date=Feb 15 2011, 11:23 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Feb 15 2011, 11:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832493"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When it's done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lmao.

I'm in GMT and i always presume i'll play it the next day. Unless you're nocturnal.
    Especially when it has to go through Valve time. I heard Nasa are still working on the constant for that.

Valve time (v) = ?
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    new tasks were just added, so either it be done later tonight or most likely tomorrow. (my guess)
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832500:date=Feb 15 2011, 11:49 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 15 2011, 11:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832500"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->new tasks were just added, so either it be done later tonight or most likely tomorrow. (my guess)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All the ones that are appearing are bug fixes for 163. See the lockdown twitter feed post.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1832493:date=Feb 15 2011, 11:23 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Feb 15 2011, 11:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832493"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When it's done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're in "lockdown" mode for tomorrow's patch. No more features, only fixes. #fb 1 day ago<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It better be tonight. To claim that there will be a patch "Tomorrow" from yesterday is getting old.

You guys need to remember, we beta testers are TESTERS as well.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doing a quick test of NS2 Build 163 then we'll fix some stuff and expand our testing to the rest of the office and guys off-site.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm thinking it won't be done before I go to bed (in about 5 hours time).

At least I can wake up to it I guess.