NS2 Progress

Comments

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832493:date=Feb 16 2011, 12:23 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Feb 16 2011, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832493"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When it's done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Argh don't say that!
    <a href="http://www.3drealms.com/games.html" target="_blank">3D Realms say that</a>, and you see whats happend ^^
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Coming "When it's done" from 3D Realms for the PC.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In my mind, its better to have more fixes then earlier release of the patch.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Slanted Services, lol.
  • CymenCymen Join Date: 2010-12-10 Member: 75593Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832493:date=Feb 16 2011, 12:23 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Feb 16 2011, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832493"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When it's done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM" target="_blank">OH MY GOD!</a>
    (2:16)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1832512:date=Feb 15 2011, 04:59 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 15 2011, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Argh don't say that!
    <a href="http://www.3drealms.com/games.html" target="_blank">3D Realms say that</a>, and you see whats happend ^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry, I didn't mean it in a snarky video game industry sort of way. I just meant that we release the patch once we've finished fixing bugs for it, which is a bit unpredictable.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    On my clock it's 5 past When it's done. ;p
  • rhezrhez Join Date: 2005-05-14 Member: 51576Members, Constellation
    Max you're too nice. I think you've earned the right to be snarky if you want :)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Subscribe to the official UWE youtube channel and select the option to receive an email when they upload the beta 163 video
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/unknownworlds" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/unknownworlds</a>
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2011
    Great to see they change the walking of the skulk, i guess the text mean its not like a train, its more like having a sucker cup on the legs?
    Decals will be great, something that little but that big in ns2 ^^
  • RTVRTV Join Date: 2008-06-09 Member: 64417Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832348:date=Feb 15 2011, 02:15 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 15 2011, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The prototype is functional, but Cory mentioned that this alone broke gameplay (I assume some key features have yet to be implemented), so it'll likely be delayed from public testing for a few patches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dats ###### man!
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fix garbage collection slowdown<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes please! You guys can just release the patch as soon as that hits Accepted as far as I'm concerned.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    You guys have found the Gorge Heal Spray bug :P I wonder who flagged that up? It is a rarity that it ever occurs, but when it does you definitely notice it :P

I've also noticed something similar occurring with the build bots as well.

There is also seems to be a recurring issue with fades, as they still seem to clip the Sentries slightly and they stop firing. I also observed (when walking into a room with 4 sentries in a lan server) sentries not tracking or firing effectively. It seemed that the more there were in the room, the less effective some of them became. Anyway, it was odd.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fix garbage collection slowdown<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1832945:date=Feb 17 2011, 03:05 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 17 2011, 03:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes please! You guys can just release the patch as soon as that hits Accepted as far as I'm concerned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832945:date=Feb 17 2011, 08:05 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 17 2011, 08:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes please! You guys can just release the patch as soon as that hits Accepted as far as I'm concerned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Okay we've fixed GC, releasing patch. Oh, one more thing, we broke the game so you can't play it, but enjoy the performance upgrade! No lag!" :)

Yeah, I'd rather wait for a more stable release. But I don't think they should start fixing HUGE bugs last-minute. If they missed the deadline fixing bugs they thought they might have fixed before the deadline - fair enough, miss the deadline and release a day later, maybe get some more fixes in. If they miss it again for the same reason, fair enough, I can wait. The more stable a build is, even if it's a few days late, is worthwhile the wait.
  • InfraRedInfraRed Join Date: 2003-01-20 Member: 12508Members, Constellation
    W00t patch is done
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    nice list of techniques things for 164
    next build looks nicer
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    build 164 has better performance tasks!
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833038:date=Feb 18 2011, 12:55 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 18 2011, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->b164 has the same performance tasks as 157-163!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fixed.

Alright, not quite. Still, would have preferred GC fix in b163, isn't that a cause of most of the hitching and crashes atm?
  • syprosypro Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69195Members
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Jumped to 58 players pretty quick, <a href="http://play4dead.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://play4dead.com/ns2/</a>
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The build 163 patch is only 571MB. That's a bonus!
  • Pr0nPr0n Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13592Members
    Always lead with a compliment.

The commander interface looks very polished and slick. It looks like a finished product and is a remarkable step forward. I'm glad that the months and months at least resulted in a slick looking interface. Definitely cool.

However, the second I joined the server "Connection Problems Detected...". I understand that you weren't really primarily tackling "performance" or "networking" issues in this patch, but still it must be noted. An unplayable, more polished looking game, is unplayable.

No one gives a flying Scottsman when the game will be <b>released</b> because we know the Valve/Blizzard/3dRealms answer already; we want to know when it will be <b>playable.</b>

Additionally, within 10 seconds of jumping in the com chair and looking at the pretty interface, I built an armory 15 feet up in the air. I mean, come on. Building basic structures should be well past that.

Oh well. Hope B164 is better.

Completely unnecessary and overly negative vehemence below.

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Why is Dynamic Infestation just the creep from Starcraft 1? No, not Starcraft 2 - Starcraft 1. Why is the whip *exactly* the Spine Crawler from Starcraft 2? Why is the Gorge's Dynamic Infestation barf the Overlord's creep barf and the Queen's creep tumor barf?

When I first saw and heard about the plans for DI, it was fresh and new. Now it's nothing special, been done before, and being done in contemporary games that were released months ago and will have an expansion before NS2 even gets released.

It's hard to say anything positive about the development of the game at this point. Instead of feature creep, the team should be throwing everything they have into making the game work on the most fundamental levels, which it still fails to do. I'm well aware that "Art guys aren't Engine guys", but that does not change the fact that the game is still - months later - in Alpha state.

At the very least the team could keep their own schedule for patches because, really, it doesn't seem like there's a fire under their collective asses. But it seems like almost every single patch since the very beginning was dangled in front of me and then there was a set-back. Again and again, and again. Give me a break. Every week/month it's Fall2009 all over again.</span>
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    my fps dropped big time in this build, no joke. For example hive rooms are like 15-22 and its spiking. And other times i've seen it drop to 5!! how is this possible!! compared to last build, this one feels like alpha.

someone told me it has something to do with decales? can it be turned off?
  • ckreonckreon Join Date: 2009-06-30 Member: 67977Members
    I keep wanting to be excited for this game, every patch. But as is mentioned above, each patch just adds some new features, meanwhile I can't really even use the ones that currently exist properly.

It's a bunch of fun features thrown on top of a game and engine still clearly in alpha. Unfortunately, the 'alpha' portion kind of cancels out the 'fun' portion of everything else.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    for me the new patch is muuuuch better, smoother, less buggy than the last one. had some great games. DI is not balanced yet, but its nice that it is in now so that that we can discuss on how to balance it :)
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited February 2011
    Skulk clipping has gone backwards.

Running up steps you can get stuck on a step or two. Running down you can float way above it and glide down. It also appears that it's been made larger? As you can no longer get underneath the walkway in West Wing TP on Rockdown.

Also really annoying thing to do, put DI in the marine spawn, let it die, ear bleeding effect to send marines mad when the DI sound keeps looping over.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited February 2011
    Well, the patch sounded awesome but for me it looks like a step backwards. No sound, only rifle-sound loop, even more rubber-banding and lagging as in 163(may be patch-day related). No sense in testing it any further for today.
    I'll give it another shot in three days. If it's the same I wait for the next patch which will hopefully improve performance.
    If not, I'll be wating for 165 ;)

*edit*
    mh. seems also to be server an map related. A match on rockdown was "okay" (to be clear: on level with 163) but still "rubby" and laggy with 10 players. tram still is unplayable.
  • ae.ae. Join Date: 2011-02-18 Member: 82424Members
    I Have a few questions about the performance of the current build, my computer can run some powerful games and yet when i start a server or join a game the FPS is terrible.

Now i don't want to read 98 pages so excuse me if it has already been mentioned in this thread but is there a reason the performance dips so low, i was looking around and realized that the maps use alot of realtime lights and i recently found out that these if used improperly and too often can really lower the performance of the levels.

I'm not sure how the Spark engine handles the lights so i could be completely wrong but the engine that i use at work requires a little bit more thought when the level designer/level artist are placing the lights. we use a combination of baked lighting and real-time lighting to help performance.

I would really love to know why the performance is so bad and if it has something to do with the lighting or if there is another issue occuring that could be a problem.

The reason im so interested is that i would really like to make a custom map but i would like to know some of the limitations when creating one.

Cheers,

Arman
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    follow the mapping guidelines & you'll be ok. there is plenty of optimization still in the works in a number of areas - mostly server side fixes to improve tick rate. lighting is not the biggest issue currently - though there will be work there to add transparency.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited February 2011
    "Create optimized Lua binding layer"
    "Integrate stack based C++ objects into Lua"

Excellent. This could result in big improvements for server/client/network. But it will take some time to implement, depending on how much native code needs to be exposed.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Steam is updating NS2. Build 165 is ready for testing.