Two unacceptable design mistake persisting from NS1

HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
I don't know why the team INSISTS on keeping two "features" for NS2:

1) marine LMG muzzle flash -- it is located TOO CLOSE to the crosshairs and is too large. It makes shooting very hard for people sensitive to flashing lights to the point that the game is uncomfortable to look at.

2) skulk bite jaws -- same problem as above, attacking blinds the player as well as makes no sense from a biology perspective.

Let me address the undoubted rebuttal of "well learn to play; it doesn't bother me." Well it bothers ME. I can'e deal with strobes and strong flashing lights and the two effects I mentioned trigger the same reaction. I have to squint and lose my concentration when using the two basic weapons in the game.

I hacked out the sprites and models in NS1 to be able to play, but it is ridiculous that this issue is considered a "design feature" in NS2. Compromising the players ability to see by default (baic weapons) is NEVER a good design decision.

Comments

• BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited June 2011
    1: Atmosphere
    2: Mods

1: Atmosphere is essential in any game, and the mouth piece immerses you greatly.
    Playing without it would feel boring and uninteresting. Plus the camera-in-mouth trick is a NS trademark by now and is a feature which gets people who've never heard of the game really interested in NS.
    It's by the same feature that I became interested in NS1, it just looks great.

I never really notice the muzzle flash, as I'm used to firing from the hip in other games and a lack of a reticule is no problem for me. It does encourage short bursts of fire though (if it was in any way intentional).
    Who knows, maybe it will be changed in the future.

2: In due time someone will make a mod removing them, or you could do it yourself and thus not have to wait.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    I'm on the fence here but one thing I can say is that I will never be playing as Skulk because of how distracting the bite effect is. It bothers the hell out of me even in gameplay videos, so I can't even imagine how irritating it is to actually play that way.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852720:date=Jun 14 2011, 11:47 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jun 14 2011, 11:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm on the fence here but one thing I can say is that I will never be playing as Skulk because of how distracting the bite effect is. It bothers the hell out of me even in gameplay videos, so I can't even imagine how irritating it is to actually play that way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From a third person perspective it looms extremely annoying, indeed I get this while watching some of NS2HD's videos (on the rare occasion he does go skulk). But it feels a lot better in game, in my opinion anyway.
    Maybe... like I said Im on the fence, I don't know if I'd call it an "unacceptable design mistake" but it certainly appears to make that class less fun to play. I think it would be fine if it weren't the class's main, rapid-fire attack. For example if the default attack was a claw swipe, and the leap-bite used the jaws-obscuring-camera effect, it would be fine and might even increase the impact of the animation.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1852726:date=Jun 14 2011, 10:53 PM:name=BarerRudeROC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BarerRudeROC @ Jun 14 2011, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But it feels a lot better in game, in my opinion anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably because you are in control of when you bite down :)

Overpowered Skulks are Overpowered without the mouth cam
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i've always been perfectly fine with the skulk bitecam, but ns2 muzzleflash IS in the way i agree
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
    And...there is a shotgun idle animation where he flips it up and it obscures the WHOLE screen. Don't do that!!!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1852733:date=Jun 14 2011, 11:02 PM:name=Hakujin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hakujin @ Jun 14 2011, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And...there is a shotgun idle animation where he flips it up and it obscures the WHOLE screen. Don't do that!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Flayra said somewhere that there is a bug where it should only play that animation when you're not moving... I don't know about that though, I mean hiding in a corner, while waiting for that pesky Fade tag team to move along. There should not be a Shotgun in the face animation...
  • twincannontwincannon Join Date: 2011-06-14 Member: 104459Members
    Regardless of the opinion of the design, hacking/modding them out should either be openly allowed (i.e. r_drawviewmodel 0 / cg_drawgun 0) or strictly disallowed and cheat protected. I remember this issue for a lot of HL1 games/mods and it's really lame when it gets to the point where you have to edit the game files to even compete.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We're toning down the rifle muzzle flash now - seems like the new bloom affected it a lot.

Over the years I've answered this dozens of times but...I don't know how else you could give feedback to biting if the camera wasn't inside the skulk's mouth. I dare you to come up with something better...
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852749:date=Jun 14 2011, 11:22 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jun 14 2011, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how else you could give feedback to biting if the camera wasn't inside the skulk's mouth.<b> I dare you to come up with something better</b>...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, use it more sparingly as an effect for the most powerful attacks, and change the rapid-fire default melee attack to something less distracting. That would be better IMO as it would enhance the effect of the unique animation and avoid being quite so distracting as the #1 most common thing you'll be seeing during gameplay.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I guess you could have the option to make the skulks mouth semi-transparent so that you can still see when biting. I don't really see it as a big deal though.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1852749:date=Jun 14 2011, 11:22 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jun 14 2011, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dare you to come up with something better...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since 2002, I've got an answer for almost everything. With this? I haven't. I couldn't agree with the bitecam more.
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852752:date=Jun 14 2011, 11:24 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Jun 14 2011, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess you could have the option to make the skulks mouth semi-transparent so that you can still see when biting. I don't really see it as a big deal though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Skulks would go from balanced melee fighters to unstoppable murder machines... It is a balancing feature, same goes for muzzle flash, but bloom did indeed made it worse then NS1
    <!--quoteo(post=1852749:date=Jun 14 2011, 11:22 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jun 14 2011, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how else you could give feedback to biting if the camera wasn't inside the skulk's mouth. I dare you to come up with something better...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here's another idea, make the animation more back-to-front movement and have the mouth close 70% instead of 100%
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    What does that actually achieve?
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    (does this site timeout for anyone else quite often?)

I think the camera being inside the mouth (as opposed to where the eyes are on the model) is a better choice for immersion, instead of trying to be 'real' and put the camera above the face.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    i absolutely love the skulks view! the sound and animation is so fun!! i haven't noticed anything about the muzzle flash though...oh well. the shotgun animation needs to go though.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Make skulk third person then
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852765:date=Jun 14 2011, 11:43 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 14 2011, 11:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What does that actually achieve?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

CLosing the mouth 70% instead of 100% maintains the spirit of the original design while not totally obstructing gameplay by flashing the inside of a mouth every half-second during combat. Adding forward motion to the animation adds to the sense of a "bite" without the jaws needing to be totally closed.

Some spit particle effects spraying out along the trajectory of the bite would also be cool.

With this implementation, it also leaves the possibility for obvious Hit feedback, if the jaws close 100% only when a hit is landed and 70% on misses.

While I'm on the subject of hit feedback, the inside of the mouth should get bloody when you get a kill.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852775:date=Jun 15 2011, 12:56 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jun 15 2011, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852775"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With this implementation, it also leaves the possibility for obvious Hit feedback, if the jaws close 100% only when a hit is landed and 70% on misses.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852709:date=Jun 14 2011, 06:34 PM:name=Hakujin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hakujin @ Jun 14 2011, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know why the team INSISTS on keeping two "features" for NS2:

1) marine LMG muzzle flash -- it is located TOO CLOSE to the crosshairs and is too large. It makes shooting very hard for people sensitive to flashing lights to the point that the game is uncomfortable to look at.

2) skulk bite jaws -- same problem as above, attacking blinds the player as well as makes no sense from a biology perspective.

Let me address the undoubted rebuttal of "well learn to play; it doesn't bother me." Well it bothers ME. I can'e deal with strobes and strong flashing lights and the two effects I mentioned trigger the same reaction. I have to squint and lose my concentration when using the two basic weapons in the game.

I hacked out the sprites and models in NS1 to be able to play, but it is ridiculous that this issue is considered a "design feature" in NS2. Compromising the players ability to see by default (baic weapons) is NEVER a good design decision.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) Unimportant technical detail - if you are that sensitive, you might want to avoid lightswitches and cities.

2) It would look much worse if the camera was on top of the jaw, immersion is not sacrificed here. If anything maybe a little translucency could be added when the jaws come together, but it's not a big deal.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    There was nothing wrong with either in NS1.

NS2 though has bigger muzzle flash and the skulk bite cam blocks half the view (maybe its the speed?). Atleast the gorge mouth does.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With this implementation, it also leaves the possibility for obvious Hit feedback, if the jaws close 100% only when a hit is landed and 70% on misses.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1852777:date=Jun 15 2011, 12:01 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Jun 15 2011, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like this idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • Eletro BullEletro Bull Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101560Members
    1. Bloom made this annoying

2. Anyone heard of Alien Flashlight? Or researched that most animals close / cover their eyes with a protective layer causing them to be "blind" temporarily while they bite / pounce / attack.
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852775:date=Jun 14 2011, 11:56 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jun 14 2011, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852775"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With this implementation, it also leaves the possibility for obvious Hit feedback, if the jaws close 100% only when a hit is landed and 70% on misses.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe instead of closing 100% on hit, which seems odd when not closing on failhit. The jaws angle randomly left or right on hit, but stay at 70%... hmm how to visualize this :D

instead of straight on hit

______
    |______|

They go like so (randomly either way):

____
    ----       |
    |    ____|
    ----
  • HarikHarik Join Date: 2011-06-14 Member: 104467Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852775:date=Jun 14 2011, 06:56 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jun 14 2011, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852775"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CLosing the mouth 70% instead of 100% maintains the spirit of the original design while not totally obstructing gameplay by flashing the inside of a mouth every half-second during combat. Adding forward motion to the animation adds to the sense of a "bite" without the jaws needing to be totally closed.

Some spit particle effects spraying out along the trajectory of the bite would also be cool.

With this implementation, it also leaves the possibility for obvious Hit feedback, if the jaws close 100% only when a hit is landed and 70% on misses.

While I'm on the subject of hit feedback, the inside of the mouth should get bloody when you get a kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Edit: Where'd my reply go?

I agree with this completely, watching gameplay videos it's very difficult to visually tell when a skulk's bite connects, and this kind of feedback would improve that a lot. Being blinded when attacking is less of a problem than not being able to tell if you landed a bite or not. As for the mouth cam, I love it: it really sets NS/NS2 apart.
    Heh, think about the way you guys eat. Do you keep your mouth 30% open when you chew? If so, it's rude and completely annoying.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852775:date=Jun 14 2011, 06:56 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jun 14 2011, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852775"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With this implementation, it also leaves the possibility for obvious Hit feedback, if the jaws close 100% only when a hit is landed and 70% on misses.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1852777:date=Jun 14 2011, 07:01 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Jun 14 2011, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like this idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1852784:date=Jun 14 2011, 07:16 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Jun 14 2011, 07:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    5 Stars
  • Eletro BullEletro Bull Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101560Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852791:date=Jun 15 2011, 01:24 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 15 2011, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heh, think about the way you guys eat. Do you keep your mouth 30% open when you chew? If so, it's rude and completely annoying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
This discussion has been closed.