Power node "cover" Exploit

2»

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Problem and couple others easily fixable by removing power node.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1988082:date=Oct 7 2012, 07:50 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Oct 7 2012, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Problem and couple others easily fixable by removing power node.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This tactic has been used for a long long time. I though everyone knew this as a common thing and not a something to make a thread on.
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this brings up a good issue of early/meta/late game.

powernodes seem too strong for skulk takedown in the early game ie. marine team can respond effectively to contest even far away. So it takes forever for a skulk

midgame it gets weird as bile bomb rolls out (OP cuz of bile stacking but no superior lifeforms to cover fatness so easily contested)

but late game they are incredibly weak fatties and oni combined

placing armories on and around the nodes are the players response to the static nature of a uncontrollable element in the game.

-------- That said

A cover would be a fantastic idea and should be implemented.

or

even an upgrade for any structure (kar/marine) to have more armor/hp (peripheral phase gates or commonly contested RTs/whips)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    power nodes are far too weak, THAT Is why people cover it, why prevent the pressing of the INSTANT WIN BUTTON?! so you can survive maybe?
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    @hampton
    Don't worry. Almost nobody has actually read what OP had to say. My guess is they got as far as the subject and assumed the rest. Let me make a small list of people who's responses in no way address the issue OP is raising...
    DethGaunt
    MuckyMcFly
    swalk
    Kurrine
    NeoRussia
    Runteh
    {GGs} Chicken
    Beelzebub
    IeptBarakat
    ScardyBob
    1dominator1
    phoenixbbs
    ellnic
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    I personally like the idea of reinforcing a power node but placing a building on it looks and feels like cheese. Would be much better with a no build zone around a power node and a upgrade for the power node that makes it tankier.
  • HeavenOrHellHeavenOrHell Join Date: 2012-10-07 Member: 161756Members
    Giving a "Overload" function on the Assist tab for the Power Node where it randomly shocks and ministuns any Alien who meele attacks it.
    A 30% chance of shocking? Shocks could do minimal damage and mini-stun could be 0.5 seconds.
    Lasts for 5-10 seconds.
    It could be used only once every 5-10mins.
    Power Node will be given a small temp boost to hp while in "Overload" state or reduce all damage taken during that state or all damage recieved is a flat amount.
    TRes could be cheap-ish 5-10 maybe.
    All Active Power Nodes will be highlighted when you have selected Overload.

Just throwing out ideas. Numbers might need tweaking though.
  • DaeicaDaeica Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1987278:date=Oct 5 2012, 02:32 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Oct 5 2012, 02:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure if this can be done on other power nodes on other maps, but IMO this is a pretty serious exploit.

Perhaps there should be a very small area around the power node where no structures can be built, or some kind of collision checking. If that's already present, I'm not sure how he was doing it; I'll try to reproduce it when the other maps come out in explore mode...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can do it on NS2_Veil.

I have mixed feelings about it. It prevents 2 Oni from running in and suiciding it, but on the other hand power nodes are incredibly vulnerable, so I suppose the issue lies deeper than a simple exploit.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1988359:date=Oct 8 2012, 12:09 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Oct 8 2012, 12:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@hampton
    Don't worry. Almost nobody has actually read what OP had to say. My guess is they got as far as the subject and assumed the rest. Let me make a small list of people who's responses in no way address the issue OP is raising...
    DethGaunt
    MuckyMcFly
    swalk
    Kurrine
    NeoRussia
    Runteh
    {GGs} Chicken
    Beelzebub
    IeptBarakat
    ScardyBob
    1dominator1
    phoenixbbs
    ellnic<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->I certainly read the entire thing. People know it's an exploit and it may be fixed eventually, but really it's to slightly circumvent an awful mechanic the game didn't need. And really, what response do you really want to this? This is a years old exploit and this is a needless thread.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What is Khyron going on about? What exactly do you want all those people on the list to do about it exactly, I'm not a programmer for UWE?
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I did read the post... tut. :D x