Mods, where cheats begin !

Comments

• xeNonnyxeNonny Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9034Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058720:date=Jan 9 2013, 11:50 PM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Jan 9 2013, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->blocking phase gates put some clogs on the front and the back far enough away so they get stuck in the phase<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think I was dumb and installed a mod that gave me a DISADVANTAGE. It was something called Organic Alien Infestation or something. Made all the infestation black and skulks black too so I couldn't clearly see the aliens whilst on infestation.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2058525:date=Jan 9 2013, 03:19 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jan 9 2013, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would have to be the other way around. You'd have to allow server operators (or UWE) to whitelist mods like the orange phase gates or cute gorge eyes.

If you tried to blacklist a mod that turned skulks into 100% green #0000, then someone would just make a mod with a skulk that is green #0001.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, it's real easy to do much better consistency checks than that on the client. All you have to do is some simple sanity checking and nail some things down e.g.:

* You never get to alter level props

For player models:
    * Is the average colour saturation much higher than the original model?
    * Is the average brightness much higher than the original model?
    * Are the brightest texels much brighter than the original model?
    * Does the model stay within the confines of a bounding box only slightly larger than the original model?
    * Lock the range of allowed shaders to sane ones.

For sprites intended to obstruct view:
    * You get to alter everything except the alpha.

This dramatically raises the cost of cheating(funky .dll wrappers or programs that hook into ns2.exe could contain viruses and they could be VAC banned).
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2058893:date=Jan 10 2013, 12:01 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Jan 10 2013, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, it's real easy to do much better consistency checks than that on the client. All you have to do is some simple sanity checking and nail some things down e.g.:

* You never get to alter level props

For player models:
    * Is the average colour saturation much higher than the original model?
    * Is the average brightness much higher than the original model?
    * Are the brightest texels much brighter than the original model?
    * Does the model stay within the confines of a bounding box only slightly larger than the original model?
    * Lock the range of allowed shaders to sane ones.

For sprites intended to obstruct view:
    * You get to alter everything except the alpha.

This dramatically raises the cost of cheating(funky .dll wrappers or programs that hook into ns2.exe could contain viruses and they could be VAC banned).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that's a great compromise, if you can do it. It's definitely not easier, though.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058820:date=Jan 10 2013, 01:38 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Jan 10 2013, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->crosshairs give the same advantage too. Going to ban those as well?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I saw your crosshair mod in the workshop. I am trying this one at the very moment.
    With the skulk the outer lines are the galncing bite range.
    Am I correct?

Thanks for those by the way

greetings.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058927:date=Jan 10 2013, 03:01 PM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Jan 10 2013, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I saw your crosshair mod in the workshop. I am trying this one at the very moment.
    With the skulk the outer lines are the galncing bite range.
    Am I correct?

Thanks for those by the way

greetings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I cannot say for sure as I have not tested, they are 60x60 which seems to be very close to the axe hit range. I assume that skulk bite range for maximum damage is within the axe hit range, so that would mean yes you can tell where you need to land bites for maximum damage based on the crosshairs.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Well, yes Neo, I would ban crosshairs.

I would have pure vanilla servers and *anything,* a single electron out of place, you are now playing a modded server.

'Fun' is reported more often in situations with an even playing field.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    If you start making crosshairs that have boundaries for skulk on them, that's kind of cheating a bit I think. I can understand like a better parasite or spit crosshair though. That's kind of a gray area I'd stay out of honestly. On one hand, it's not really altering anything as far as the actual bite range, but on the other you are gaining somewhat of an advantage.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I originally thought that all mods had to be white listed by the server in order for them to work.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059042:date=Jan 10 2013, 04:03 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Jan 10 2013, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you start making crosshairs that have boundaries for skulk on them, that's kind of cheating a bit I think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what exactly is a "crosshair that has a boundary for a skulk" ??????

<!--quoteo(post=2059017:date=Jan 10 2013, 02:46 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Jan 10 2013, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, yes Neo, I would ban crosshairs.

I would have pure vanilla servers and *anything,* a single electron out of place, you are now playing a modded server.

'Fun' is reported more often in situations with an even playing field.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and how exactly do you plan to control different hardware? same sensitivity for everyone? same controls too? should everyone play with high detail textures as well? because my computer can't run NS2 on medium or high.

limiting the legitimate players stead of implementing a properly working consistency check is silly. HUDs, crosshairs, viewmodels, etc. - it's quite easy to see what should be moddable and what shouldn't.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058820:date=Jan 10 2013, 06:38 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Jan 10 2013, 06:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->crosshairs give the same advantage too. Going to ban those as well?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I personally don't care if people use clear weapons or not, I was just using that as an example, but I'll play. One is an item of preference and the other removes an obstruction of view from the screen. Of course, we could also say that changing the FOV does a similar thing so lets ban that too. ;)

I would agree that both could be considered to give an advantage but I can't say I agree with you on them being the <i>same</i> advantage.
    And in case it matters, yes I've changed many HUD aspects of the game and my aim went from really bad to just bad. :p
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058885:date=Jan 10 2013, 11:37 AM:name=Shino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shino @ Jan 10 2013, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a mod that makes gorges shoot out hearts instead of green ###### because it's adorable. Does this make me a cheater?
    I have a mod that makes powernodes have a sick little dinosaur on them. Does that make me a cheater?
    I have a mod that makes gorges' eyes slightly bigger, called cute gorge eyes. Does that make me a cheater?
    I have a mod that makes my rifle pink with a hello kitty symbol on it. Does that make me a cheater?

There are a ###### ton more mods than there are neon green skins. Don't punish us all because a few people don't know how to turn up their contrast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Interesting. I also saw that transparent map mods can also be used on any server. I WONDER what mods can be used and can not be used. Like minimal alien vision is server only but then what is allowed on all servers? I think it's great that the mods are flourishing because they kept it so open. I see so many nice little customizations that I find really well done and would not have them otherwise if everything was blocked off. So yea let them have their pasty white skulks either way not like I have a problem identifying skulks unless they are in camo.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058885:date=Jan 11 2013, 02:37 AM:name=Shino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shino @ Jan 11 2013, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a mod that makes gorges shoot out hearts instead of green ###### because it's adorable. Does this make me a cheater?
    I have a mod that makes powernodes have a sick little dinosaur on them. Does that make me a cheater?
    I have a mod that makes gorges' eyes slightly bigger, called cute gorge eyes. Does that make me a cheater?
    I have a mod that makes my rifle pink with a hello kitty symbol on it. Does that make me a cheater?

There are a ###### ton more mods than there are neon green skins. Don't punish us all because a few people don't know how to turn up their contrast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its not a question of whether all mods are bad (hell ns1 was a mod), but whether a server can enforce consistency and a level playing field.
    You want to play on servers with pink rifles or gorges with bug eyes thats fine.
    I would like to play a game without playing against people who chose to modify these things.

We are not talking about modding a single player game here...this is a multiplayer and your changes impact others gaming experience.
    People dont want to punish you...they just want a choice if they want to play against vanilla or modified huds, skins etc.

Your actually limiting their ability to play the game they want, most people accept there are vanilla and mod friendly servers.
    Currently we just dont have the right level of checks set up, 3 different levels similar to what valve did seems logical.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2059104:date=Jan 11 2013, 04:54 AM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Jan 11 2013, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and how exactly do you plan to control different hardware? same sensitivity for everyone? same controls too? should everyone play with high detail textures as well? because my computer can't run NS2 on medium or high.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So basically you say, because you can't make the playing field perfectly balanced, you shouldn't even try at the things that are easy to do? No. Don't let perfect get in the way from good. A dot-crosshair for the exo is an advantage. And nobody forces you to play on an advanced consistency check server. But let the player that want it, have its even playing field.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited March 2013
    This is the worst colour designed game I've ever played in my entire life.

Skulks are green black gray tint, every wall in every map that will ever be released is gray black tint, the cyst infestation is green gray tint, between lens flare, huge ######ing obtuse models taking up 30-50% of the player view no matter what FOV you have since it ######ing scales and lighting engine which works perfectly shadows the fact that nearly every other game at least seems to have a default gamma set in each room and lights or lack of will make it brighter or darker, NS2 is simply ######ing dark/hard to see with 30+ objects per room devoted to lighting.

I'm assuming lighting is part of the reason why in 3 months since release we haven't come close to a single NS1 map being re-released or even looking half decent.

What's this got to do with mods? I was 100% against mods/scripts/macros in NS1 and carried it over to NS2 but I realise it's a whole different kettle of fish now with a new engine. At least at the worst people used Powerstrip to ramp up gamma 50%+ in NS1 to see into every single corner, I'd almost say it's necessary to make a profile for ns2.exe just to see in over half the rooms at the current build. The models are annoying at the best of times and flat out ######ing ridiculous/obnoxious at the worst of times, I don't need to see the entire mouth of a gorge to appreciate the fact I'm playing a ######ing gorge, it is not immersion it just makes me want to brush and floss my teeth after every game.

Xhairs need to be expanded by default, you will never please people even with 10+ xhairs in a menu, locking xhairs to a single choice is beyond arrogant in a FPS released in 2012, I can't even think of a single FPS that wanted to be taken seriously that didn't have a choice of xhairs, I'm not sure what UWE is trying to say on this one.
    Having no brightness/gamma in a game like this is also ######ing stupid, you just force people to go into their catalyst suite and ramp it up well beyond what was ever intended and by making people go to this much effort you can be sure as ###### they will ramp it up beyond what's needed, added side effects of no longer being blinded by lava are probably nice too.

I would like to see a comp mod that simply outlines/colours the aliens a different colour from the walls/cysts, changes the colour of cyst infestation or anything, brown and bloom has been a valid criticism of a lot of games recently released, NS2 went for the revolutionary green gray and tint approach instead, the fact that watching even the highest skilled EU/US games I see people over throwing their aim constantly (like setting sens to 5) and getting into the habit of sweeping their LMG fire either means they can't see ###### or the netcode is so bad they shoot ahead, at and behind the target to land a hit, I want to believe it's because they can't see ###### as that sounds a lot easier to solve.

edit: 6 Mar, game has definitely been brightened or sweetfx started working and made stuff brighter.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited January 2013
    Indeed, Xao speaks truth. You would never use hiding in the dark to ambush against good players or else you will find yourself getting destroyed over and over again, hiding like that effectively is sheer luck, not skill. Skulk is about breaking sight-lines and ambushing with friendly lifeforms if you want to play well. So the only 2 things NS2's style serves is realistic immersion (lol) and making the game look pretty. This could have been done in many other ways without making it annoying to track a skulk while a big mess is happening on your screen or making people use gamma and mods to stay competitive with other players. At the very least a gamma/brightness slider is needed, as editing that with your control panel makes your desktop brighter as well, which is annoying. Before anybody says that is cheating, it is done in CS and TF2 as well, both games have really dark spots by default. de_nuke has completely different sight lines without using brightness settings, you can't even see into the back of the garage or the ladder room.

We need a mod that improves graphics for competitive play. In it removes infestation textures, remove the darkness on destroyed power nodes, remove annoying particles, make skulk and marine outlines more visible, tune back the deafening hive scream and ARC fire sound and more.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    At least we can see who some of the cheaters are.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059624:date=Jan 12 2013, 04:00 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jan 12 2013, 04:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So basically you say, because you can't make the playing field perfectly balanced, you shouldn't even try at the things that are easy to do? No. Don't let perfect get in the way from good. A dot-crosshair for the exo is an advantage. And nobody forces you to play on an advanced consistency check server. But let the player that want it, have its even playing field.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what about sensitivity? are you planning on locking everyone's sensitivity to the same value? that's where the hardware aspect comes in - because many players simply have mice that can alter DPI. I am saying that it is impossible to regulate the hardware aspect of it, and those are much more worrying than a change to your HUD or crosshair. I don't think very many would disagree that having a top of the line processor makes most of the difference for NS2 playability right now.

a dot crosshair is not an advantage unless

- crosshairs are restricted and no one else has that capability (to use a dot crosshair)
    - the developers intend for crosshairs to obscure your vision

that's like saying the pistol's dot crosshair has an advantage over a simple cross. it's simply personal preference. which is exactly why you allow players to change it.

player configs have been popular for ages, with each player liking to tune their own custom settings to their own <i>preference</i>.
    <a href="http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=1923955" target="_blank">http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=1923955</a>
    if you download toxjq's config, you will have an advantage over using rapha's config, based on the crosshairs and HUD that they use?

obviously I'm not in favor of anything that is a straight texture or model change (at least not on default server settings), but restricting HUD and crosshair functionality is simply unheard of and quite unreasonable.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059672:date=Jan 12 2013, 08:14 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Jan 12 2013, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Indeed, Xao speaks truth. You would never use hiding in the dark to ambush against good players or else you will find yourself getting destroyed over and over again, hiding like that effectively is sheer luck, not skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not skill (wow people adore using this word) because the game's mind bending design doesn't take darkness into account. Left 4 Dead did it for ambiance, this game could've done it as an actual game-play mechanic., and I think it would've been amazing, even after the short, "for-the-scares" gets old.

BTW, I know I'm probably being annoyingly analytical, but when you start to take apart video game eye candy for the sole purpose of having only the necessary pixels to barely make this a video game you can get immersed in (because it's a game); what makes you want to keep playing?

I know it's small stuff but you can't remove the "small stuff" for the odd purpose of basically testing mouse dexterity in players.
    It's too sterilizing and deconstructive. I can't help but cringe every time someone bludgeons graphics for the sake of not getting frustrated, because you can't enjoy the game without the competition anymore.

I still want to feel immersed, but I also don't want to ruin the game for myself because you're allowed to remove every effect.
    edited January 2013
    Crosshairs would give you a considerable advantage in this case because the exo-xhair is obnoxious.

<!--quoteo(post=2059718:date=Jan 12 2013, 05:15 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Jan 12 2013, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BTW, I know I'm probably being annoyingly analytical, but when you start to take apart video game eye candy for the sole purpose of having only the necessary pixels to barely make this a video game you can get immersed in (because it's a game); what makes you want to keep playing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This question scares me.
    <!--quoteo(post=2059720:date=Jan 12 2013, 10:16 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 12 2013, 10:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crosshairs would give you a considerable advantage in this case because the exo-xhair is obnoxious.

This question scares me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Am I supposed to assume what you mean? Why don't you quote where I explain why?
    <!--quoteo(post=2059724:date=Jan 12 2013, 10:21 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 12 2013, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nah<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you for sharing the entirety of your brain-space on this discussion board, lol.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059720:date=Jan 12 2013, 09:16 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 12 2013, 09:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crosshairs would give you a considerable advantage in this case because the exo-xhair is obnoxious.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    quite true, which is why I would like for everyone to have the capability to change it to their own preference, and for a developer to clarify whether or not it's supposed to be the case (it seems to be a design choice as opposed to a gameplay choice).

edit: while we're at it, is the exosuit supposed to mimic some sensory overload? even the sounds are overkill :P
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Crosshairs are part of the ui and designed to help you. That is why modifying them is not cheating.
    Yeah, I agree. I'd love the equivalent of the NineLegends pack for NS2, to be honest. I hope somebody collects all the good tweaks and settings and distributes it to everyone so that its accessible for even casual gamers.
    <!--quoteo(post=2059728:date=Jan 12 2013, 11:37 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 12 2013, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I agree. I'd love the equivalent of the NineLegends pack for NS2, to be honest. I hope somebody collects all the good tweaks and settings and distributes it to everyone so that its accessible for even casual gamers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How inaccessible can browsing the workshop be?

The most important thing this thread has taught me (thanks Gliss) is that my 555BE is holding me down. DAMN YOU AMD
    edited January 2013
    Yupyup, I just want for there to be a pack iz all dawg. If there is, link yo.
    There are some collections you can pick from. Or perhaps you should recreate the ninelegends and release it as a collection for all. ;)