Annoying celerity sound effect

Comments

• Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066843:date=Jan 25 2013, 10:31 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Jan 25 2013, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This trick only seems to work for the skulk. Tried it with Lerk, gorge, fade, and Onos and couldn't get the sound to stop by taping the shift key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lol now you are cursed thanks to this thread, your going to try and find ways to stop it and in almost every way it will slow you down then it will start to seep in
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones with onboard x58 sound.
    Haven't noticed it to be annoying but next time I play I'll be listening out for it.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066844:date=Jan 25 2013, 09:34 PM:name=Sharp-Shooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sharp-Shooter @ Jan 25 2013, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol now you are cursed thanks to this thread, your going to try and find ways to stop it and in almost every way it will slow you down then it will start to seep in<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, and now I will forever hate you for starting this thread! ;)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Screen blur is just as annoying.
    <!--quoteo(post=2066852:date=Jan 25 2013, 10:44 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Jan 25 2013, 10:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True, and now I will forever hate you for starting this thread! ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    don't hate, join the protest, the more people voice about it the more likely it will get removed
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    This is a pretty conclusive thread. The answers have only been;
    a) I hear it and don't like it
    b) I don't hear it and am indifferent (and we've yet to see a video to prove this it's less obvious with different setups)
    c) I hear it and am indifferent

Nobody has answered;
    d) I hear it and I love it

The obvious answer is to remove it entirely. Nobody is getting anything from it and it contradicts earlier design goals.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Actually, after viewing the video my answer changed from I don't hear it, to I hear it and don't care cause it's so quiet.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited January 2013
    Quiet my ######ing arse, this thread will have me ######ing around with sound settings changing setup from headphone to 2.1 or 7.1 because if I can get rid of that stupid wind tunnel noise it'll be a great improvement.

I honestly thought my sound files were ######ed and steam consistency checked/re-installed NS2/%app data% deleted when it became really pronounced about 4-5 patches ago, I thought ambient noises were just looping endlessly into some never ending "Whoooossshshhhhhshshh", my ######ing face when I find out this was another intended 'feature' and 'immersion'.

Faster foot steps are immersion and cool sounding, hearing 2-3 skulks scurrying around while I'm trying to get my now ######ty low atmos flashlight onto them on the roof and HEARING them move faster is ######ing great.

Wind tunnel and blur are ######ing bull###### and you need your head checked if you think it adds to the game at all, we're reaching the point of having 3-4 different aural/visual effects just to tell me I'm going fast, guess how else I know I'm going fast, I'm playing the ######ing game and clicked evolve celerity, I know this BECAUSE I AM PLAYING THE GAME I DON'T NEED THREE EFFECTS FOR FEEDBACK FOR SOMETHING I MANUALLY CHANGE I KNOW THIS IT IS KNOWN FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

edit: Hearing regen tick over or cloak quickly"whaaaaaa" on and off is great, knowing these are silent with silence is also great, knowing silence turns off attack alerts for marines is noice, hearing a loud ambient sound effect on an almost necessary upgrade that also quietens other noises while active is a load of hot ######, I'm so glad this thread pointed out I can minimise it by ######ing with sound setup.
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    ...my lerk can really feel the wind in his face as he walks around the map

Please just get rid of this entirely
  • naXynaXy Join Date: 2008-07-12 Member: 64618Members
    it also makes a tick-tock sound that i confuse for marine footsteps coming from somewhere on the map...
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    I prefer getting regen over carapace but the trade off is that marines can track me almost where ever I go.

Adrenaline over celerity is that yes adrenaline sucks because the devs long ago said that it was too powerful and to nerf it they simply doubled the amount you have rather than it regening faster. With the response “oh the alien commander can simply build shifts everywhere.” But getting celerity means you get the all powerful “whooshing sound” and if you can’t hear it then it means there’s a good chance that the marines can.

Silence is always a good upgrade but with cloak being at 100% now it’s also nice but it seems to de-cloak too often.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2066949:date=Jan 26 2013, 10:52 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 26 2013, 10:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nobody has answered;
    d) I hear it and I love it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Internally we had a jet engine sound as a spoof during the time celerity was implemented for the first time. That was funny as hell. However I tend to agree it is annoying, especially when you're wearing headphones. Also in terms of "sound to be heard by marines" I think the clicketyclick or plopetyplop, depending on lifeform, is more then enough right...
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The sound system in NS2 is broken in general. Anything that is not a direct sound is a muffled, metallic, monophonic echo chamber with no apparent directional queues.

It's not a bug. It's, "immersion lol".
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    sounds like that skulks is going 100 mph

+1 for removing it from the game
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    I find this sound VERY ANNOYING, especially in those moments when I'm hiding on the wall or ceiling and I'm trying to hear marine foot steps but I can't because that ************* whooshing sound just doesn't stop!!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    watched the vid and went.. whut... I never heared that. And I always pick celer.
    using headphones from steelseries with a realtek card. Will check ingame lateron + check sound settings
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066949:date=Jan 26 2013, 02:52 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 26 2013, 02:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a pretty conclusive thread. The answers have only been;
    a) I hear it and don't like it
    b) I don't hear it and am indifferent (and we've yet to see a video to prove this it's less obvious with different setups)
    c) I hear it and am indifferent

Nobody has answered;
    d) I hear it and I love it

The obvious answer is to remove it entirely. Nobody is getting anything from it and it contradicts earlier design goals.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm in the removed it, till it's fixed, group. I would like it, if it was affected by actual speed, and not just from having celerity.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited January 2013
    Methamphetamine Vacuum Cleaners (Exos mini guns) are another source of audial despair...

Honestly, if marines have exos and I feel confident the game outcome is decided, I turn my speakers to zero.
    <!--quoteo(post=2066962:date=Jan 26 2013, 06:30 AM:name=Ghosthree3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghosthree3 @ Jan 26 2013, 06:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, after viewing the video my answer changed from I don't hear it, to I hear it and don't care cause it's so quiet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You hear it but its quiet on your end, but for some other players its different, the question I should ask is even though its quiet do you even LIKE it? would you care if UWE removed it for the better of some players?

<!--quoteo(post=2067033:date=Jan 26 2013, 11:21 AM:name=Canucck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canucck @ Jan 26 2013, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...my lerk can really feel the wind in his face as he walks around the map
    Please just get rid of this entirely<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correct, it does not matter how fast or slow your going, you can be a gorge just running about "not belly sliding" and hear it, it is not speed dependent

<!--quoteo(post=2067039:date=Jan 26 2013, 11:32 AM:name=naXy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (naXy @ Jan 26 2013, 11:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it also makes a tick-tock sound that i confuse for marine footsteps coming from somewhere on the map...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm very glad you pointed this out because I forgot, you don't just hear WIND you hear odd tick tock step sounding like sounds once in a while which makes no sense

<!--quoteo(post=2067042:date=Jan 26 2013, 11:41 AM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Jan 26 2013, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I prefer getting regen over carapace but the trade off is that marines can track me almost where ever I go.

Adrenaline over celerity is that yes adrenaline sucks because the devs long ago said that it was too powerful and to nerf it they simply doubled the amount you have rather than it regening faster. With the response “oh the alien commander can simply build shifts everywhere.” But getting celerity means you get the all powerful “whooshing sound” and if you can’t hear it then it means there’s a good chance that the marines can.

Silence is always a good upgrade but with cloak being at 100% now it’s also nice but it seems to de-cloak too often.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree Adrenaline to me is useless on every life for except gorge sometimes I think adrenaline should be changed to something like 60% pool increase 40% energy regen speed, I must admit 2x regen speed was a bit OP but 2X capacity with no regen benefits is useless, as far is UWE saying well Khamander can just place shifts everywhere, why would I want Adrenaline at that point? I would rather have celerity AND a shift beside me then adrenaline and a shift
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066440:date=Jan 25 2013, 12:01 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 25 2013, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've never been bothered by the whoosh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me either, I don't hear it when not moving... that would bother me though
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'd be really disappointed if UWE spent any valuable time trying to fix something like this. It's just one of those things that should go.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I can hear it now.. so uhm.. thanks. :p

That said, it does seem it becomes louder the more you run. (capping finally at its max speed)
    Leaping and biting breaks the sound so I asume it still breaks celerity.

its anoying if you focus on the sound, granted.. but I tend to attack to much as a skulk to have it nonstop in my ears.
    edited January 2013
    oh and by the way guys, I was playing gorge with celerity at Icarus and with gorge when you stop at times the sound will keep playing, seems like UWE didn't really fix the sound constantly playing when stoped after all, might post a video to prove this ofcourse. its a small bug but a bug none the less, just remove it so we don't have to worry about man hours being wasted on a stupid annoying feature

video of bug here
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuiMgk2tPxw&feature=youtu.be" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuiMgk2tPxw...eature=youtu.be</a>
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    dislike it 100%. I don't know where these ideas to inhibit audio and vision come from. I know i'm going fast, why do i need some bloody "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH" or blurred screens to let me know i'm going fast? It's just ugly and gets in the way of scouting and play.
    <!--quoteo(post=2067406:date=Jan 27 2013, 11:27 AM:name=Live_Feed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Live_Feed @ Jan 27 2013, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->dislike it 100%. I don't know where these ideas to inhibit audio and vision come from. I know i'm going fast, why do i need some bloody "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH" or blurred screens to let me know i'm going fast? It's just ugly and gets in the way of scouting and play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    also makes environmental sounds completely useless, a mapper can spend hours placing sounds on his map so you cant hear it cause of celerity, omg so cool
    The sad fact is that celerity does not produce the whooshing sound but you can just hear it better from the extra speed. If you get a lerk and fly at full speed you can kind of hear it with good head phones but when you get celerity it’s like sticking your head out of a car going 90 mph.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2067414:date=Jan 27 2013, 11:58 AM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Jan 27 2013, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The sad fact is that celerity does not produce the whooshing sound but you can just hear it better from the extra speed. If you get a lerk and fly at full speed you can kind of hear it with good head phones but when you get celerity it’s like sticking your head out of a car going 90 mph.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    someone said the exact same thing in the comments of the video was that you? :P

you are correct about celerity not causing the sound but amplifying it, however its not the extra speed that makes you hear more, its having celerty, you can be a gorge having celerity, and a lerk not having celerity, a lerk without celerity is faster then a gorge with celerity, but the gorge has more wind noise

does not make any sense
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2067414:date=Jan 27 2013, 05:58 PM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Jan 27 2013, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The sad fact is that celerity does not produce the whooshing sound but you can just hear it better from the extra speed. If you get a lerk and fly at full speed you can kind of hear it with good head phones but when you get celerity it’s like sticking your head out of a car going 90 mph.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    False, you're making this up.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2067414:date=Jan 28 2013, 03:58 AM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Jan 28 2013, 03:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The sad fact is that celerity does not produce the whooshing sound but you can just hear it better from the extra speed. If you get a lerk and fly at full speed you can kind of hear it with good head phones but when you get celerity it’s like sticking your head out of a car going 90 mph.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why you lie though.