cyst suicide???

OwiecPL1986OwiecPL1986 Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172755Members
Today i had really strange situation. I was alien commander and cyst what i build were destroing themself without any reason? I am playing in this game really long but today i had first time situation like this.

I am 100% sure no marins near cyst. It happend on the beginning of game and after, durign the game. Even my team said me to enemy there.

I couldnt do anything and we lose.

It was totaly random, i was build first cyst, second cyst, third cyst and then first and second destroy without any reason.

Build new cyst destroy old cyst in random way...

Can samebody solve this riddle?

Comments

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    If you try to build a cyst too close to another cyst, the one that's already down will die instantly. If there isn't another cyst in range of the one you just placed, it will die almost instantly too. Pay close attention to the inner circle when placing cysts and make sure the cyst you are placing is green, not red.
  • Warrior JWarrior J Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172431Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I'm sorry, it's a but hard to understand what your saying. Could you please be more specific with your wording? As it is now it's difficult to make sense of any of it.*******
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Warrior J wrote: »
    I you understand can't?

Don't be an ass.

OP, sotanaht OS correct. Put more space between cysts. At least an onos apart if you want to be safe.

• OwiecPL1986OwiecPL1986 Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172755Members
    Hmm so it have to be something new in the game... I have a little break as alien com. Sorry for false alert but i dont have time to read about all new things in the game. Thx for solve my problem.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    They recently added a minimum distance to the cyst. This is denoted by the inner circle when you are placing a cyst:

oMyBCDU.jpg

If you place the cyst within the first circle it will destroy the original cyst which could very well cause the newly dropped cyst to be unconnected and therefore destroy the newly dropped one.

The inner circle is only displayed when your too close to another cyst.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    No it was a bug. I saw it happen.

I was comm while Owiec was khamm on this very Veil game, wondering why aliens's expansion would be so poor.
    I said same thing to OwiecPL1986 about cysts being too close, I thought that was the reason.

But the next round, I khammed on same map.
    We started Pipe, I expanded cargo, then to Y-junction and for some reason, every cyst I would put on y-junction died.

I tried to cyst from C-12, then down to Y-junction, and again, cysts would die there.
    I can ssure you it was not because of the range between cysts.

After a while, I was able to cyst in this area as usual.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    There has been a rather illusive cyst pathing bug that has existed for some time now that makes it nearly impossible to create a cyst chain in a normally easily cyst-able area. It sounds like the recent changes to the cysts in the past build is causing the cysts to act as unconnected but still place-able when there is a pathing issue.

Usually the only way to fix the issue is to connect the cyst chain from the other side (in this case from nano to c12) and then the issue goes away.

I'm pretty sure people have tried reproducing this without any luck so if you have more details (did the server have any mods? or was the server idle on veil before the game started?) that could potentially help track this down.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    If you find exact reproduction steps for this or make a video.. i would be greatly appreciated. (and give thanks to you in the changelog)
    This is only for the bug Tempest describes, where you are unable to create a cyst chain, and has nothing to do with minimum cyst distance - i.e. "redeploying cysts"
    PM me or email ironhorse@unknownworlds.com
    Huh, i thought i didn't check this precise yesterday. I didn't know about this change but i thought "this circle have to mean something" and tried build cyst outside with the same efect. But if somebody else have the same problem mayby it's no bad with me as i thought yesterday.

The problem was on map with nano grid on the whole map.

I played as alien com a few days ago on other map and i didn't have any problem with cyst.

I was started game as alien in south-west.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    There is a bug where your initial cyst by the res node in the south-spawn of Tram kills itself at the start of the game. I've not noticed any others.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Same happens on server room. All other maps appear fine.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    On Containment in Refinery this happens too, but it doesn't disconnect the Harvester.

But this topic here isn't about pre-placed cysts doesn't obey the new min-range rule.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    edited February 2013
    invTempest wrote: »
    Usually the only way to fix the issue is to connect the cyst chain from the other side (in this case from nano to c12) and then the issue goes away.

That's what I did and maybe that's what solve the problem at some point but I can't be sure
    invTempest wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure people have tried reproducing this without any luck so if you have more details (did the server have any mods? or was the server idle on veil before the game started?) that could potentially help track this down.

The server had no mod, it was "GamingDeluxe.co.uk Official Server" rookie friendly
    For some random reason, I took a snapshot at start when we were waziting for an alien kham (Owiec1986PL) :

2013_02_12_00001.jpg

Could this be related to cysts chains that couldn't cross invisible lines between rooms? In previous builds I would occasionally be in able to drop cysts across rooms despite being within cyst range. Dropping a "middle" cyst, usually closer to the original cyst than the midpoint, was a viable solution.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I tend to play a lot on gamingdeluxe due to it being stable.. (and trying to get newbies to learn).. and aye.. no mods.

but you probably pushed the screenshot button? :p
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this is a poor mechanic because moving one cyst can screw up the whole chain, as we've seen. There really needs to be a more elegant solution to cyst spam.
    I report bug again on map with nano grid. With cyst but not the same as before. This time i started from the same place as before but cyst building were ok.

I build two new hives and when the new hives were cut from the first hive by destroy the cyst on the path, then cysts near new hives disable. Even after new hive finish build! I couldnt build new cyst from new hives. I connect for one moment first hive by cyst and it work again but after destroing the path again, cyst near new hives stop working again... Ofcourse we lost because of that. Playing as alien on map with nano grid have no sense now. Banish this map to time when you repair this :)
    I report bug again on map with nano grid. With cyst but not the same as before. This time i started from the same place as before but cyst building were ok.

I build two new hives and when the new hives were cut from the first hive by destroy the cyst on the path, then cysts near new hives disable. Even after new hive finish build! I couldnt build new cyst from new hives. I connect for one moment first hive by cyst and it work again but after destroing the path again, cyst near new hives stop working again... Ofcourse we lost because of that. Playing as alien on map with nano grid have no sense now. Banish this map to time when you repair this :)

Is there a log either client or server that could be pulled if this occurs?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think it's a real bug. This is in for ages now. Cysts near a new hive do not check if they are connected to the new grown hive. If you place a new cyst between the cysts and the hive, they check for connection again. Seeing how much performance cysts eat up. It probably isn't worth fixing.
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    I don't think it's a real bug. This is in for ages now. Cysts near a new hive do not check if they are connected to the new grown hive. If you place a new cyst between the cysts and the hive, they check for connection again. Seeing how much performance cysts eat up. It probably isn't worth fixing.

Thought he was describing that a cyst dropped from new hive won't connect to old chain. Misread.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members

No, it's actually an old bug.
    erm... thats what I wrote. Beside that it isn't this game-breaking (hence "real bug") and probably costly to fix. So what exactly are you trying to say? Or did you simply not read my post?
    Necro it is a bug and it destroy the game when this bug appear. What dont you understand? It's not about pre-created cysts. It's about all cysts on the map. No matter it's about 5 meter near new hive, can be about 50m "near" new hive. If the path with first hive is broken all cysts stop working in that case on map.

So to win the game by marins you have to cut cysts from the first hive, during new hive is growing and you win. Just care about cut the path.

It's so irittating when you lost again by some bug on alien side and other players criticize you because they dont know about this bug. I like play random, but it's not fun play as alien com when you have so often problems with build because of bugs... It cause i lost fun play as alien com. Mayby not first time when did happen but after some time it's really irritate.
    I hope I understood you right. But simply placing a cyst between the new hive and the cut cysts fixes this. I have encountered that bug multiple times and I never lost BECAUSE of that. It is easily fixable for the alien com.
    After connect again the path cysts start work again because were connect to the first hive. After cut path to first hive again, it stop work again. Cysts were all the time connect to new hives. So for me it didnt fix the bug.

Anyway... marins who know about that care about cut the path. It just make big disadvantage for alien. Ofcourse when you play vs not expirence marins thats not big problem but when you have expirence enemy every lost minuts is a problem.

I dont understand how can you say, its a bug but dont fix it because we can use some trick to solive this bug during the game. (anyway the solution what you describe didnt work for me)
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    erm... thats what I wrote. Beside that it isn't this game-breaking (hence "real bug") and probably costly to fix. So what exactly are you trying to say? Or did you simply not read my post?

I read posts verbatim, and from that infer more. You did say "I don't think it's a real bug", so understand my viewpoint, rather than insinuating I didn't read your post(s).
    Ok, lets try to be more clear: You got your first hive in Sub-Access and you cyst to Cargo. Now you drop a new hive in Cargo. as soon as the hive in Cargo is grown, you need to put 1 cyst between the Cargo-Hive and the existing cyst-chain. Only than it connects the cysts-chain with the Cargo-Hive. If the connection to Sub-Access got cut now, the cyst-chain keeps working because of Cargo.

You only need to place 1 Cyst to fix this. This has never lost a game for me. If a fix of this bug would cost server performance, I rather would not have it fixed, because it is so easy fixable by the player.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    I had a bug the other day in Atrium where if you put a cyst on the bridge to the RT it dies nearly instantly, you could still cyst it by putting cysts on either side of the bridge.
    edited February 2013
    Necro no... :)

1) hive in sub-access
    2) infest to cargo and pipeline
    3) build new hive in cargo and pipeline (i were building in both)
    4) during the new hives growing up cut the path of cyst from first hive to new hives
    5) during no connection new hives finish grow
    6*) I cant build cysts from new hives. I guess harvesters also dont works too.
    7) I connected again by cysts the infestation from first hive to new hives
    8) All cysts start work again
    9*) The path from first hives to new hives were cut again and then again cysts stop works. It's look like new hives dont connect to cysts.

Cysts were build before i start build new hives.

***Mayby i miss something, i dont know. I describe what i did in last game when i found this bug and test this bug in the same game.

And i reapeat 1000 times: connect for a while first hives to new hives dont fix this. In that case alien can only loose the game if marins care about cut the path. If you play not only on official servers, but in the servers where are expirence marins they do that and game is shity then. No problem if you play 5vs5 or something like that. Marins are not too strong to get this points of map but when you play about 10vs10 just dont have any chance. Aliens also need more egs (number of players), so need shift and build more eggs. A lot of work to do and this bug destory the game. I am not sure but i think harvesters stop give resources because cysts are disable. Just unsense.
    10) place cyst in new hive's range to reconnect cyst chain.

That is the usual fix.

Generally, as soon as a hive grows I place a cyst next to it to connect the hive to the chain. Hives do not auto connect to cysts near them when they grow. You always need to drop a fresh cyst near the hive to update the cyst chain.