Obs: 15 Res
Phase Tech: 15 Res
Phase Gate x2: 30 Res
Total: 60 Res

Arms Lab: 20 Res
Weapons 1: 15 Res
Weapons 2: 25 Res
Total: 60 Res

For the same price, you can bring skulks from taking 14 bullets (130+1 natural regen) into 11 bullets. Or, if you're going against bads, 10 shots (90 + 1 natural regen) into 8 bullets.

Alternatively, you can get Armor 1 and Armor 2, bringing your marines from 100/30 to 100/70 (4 bites excluding glancing bites)

On every map right now (Summit/Docking > Veil/Mineshaft > Descent/Refinery), arms lab no phase gate is viable.

Comments

• JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    1000% correct.

Adding on to this, if you delay phase gates you open up the following:

6:00 Exos (as in research completed) with 4 RTs

6:30 Jetpack/shotgun armor 2 with 4 RTs

6:30 Armor 3 with 4 RTs.

You give up an enormous amount of combat power by going phase gates first, and the benefits you gain are more illusion than reality. Marines who have more upgrades are able to be far more aggressive, and as a result you end up keeping most of your RTs due to the pressure you can put on the other team. A smart commander who goes upgrades first and supplements with well placed forward armories ends up with dramatically more map control than rushed phase gates.

And the best part? You can still get phase gates at most of the timings listed above - so long as the phase gates come after your upgrades in priority. You're really only delaying phase gates by 2-3 minutes for a massive jump in power.

Rushing phase gates is bad. Stop rushing phase gates.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Gadx wrote: »
    Wut?
    don't pretend like you know how to comm :E
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    You give up an enormous amount of combat power by going phase gates first, and the benefits you gain are more illusion than reality.
    Just like no PGs ever working on your average pub server with anything but a massive marine stack is more illusion than reality.

Just the opposite really. Average pub marines are awful at shooting, which also means they won't actually be pushing in to anything without some level of combat advantage. Rushed phase gates simply ensure that you'll be able to (sometimes) hold what you were able to build a phase gate at. Rushed upgrades mean that even awful pub marines can usually make meaningful and significant pushes due to the gigantic combat advantage they're working with.

What makes early upgrades even more effective is the fact that your average alien commander isn't particularly smart either. Shift first is still the most common (90%+) strategy in most pubs, and building a second hive is often delayed. Meaning that it's not at all rare to see an alien team which doesn't have carapace until 8-9 minutes into the game. It'd take a truly awful team even by pub standards to not completely crush an alien team with jp/shotgun/armor 2 against mere celerity skulks. Seriously.
  • Spektor56Spektor56 Join Date: 2010-11-10 Member: 74858Members
    Any game where commanders dont do PG marines lose very quickly because they cant hold any power nodes. Commanders that drop lots of PG in pubs always end up winning because they end up with entire map control and aliens rage quit. Not to mention, with PG u can go back and heal up / get more ammo, with upgrades and no PG u cant do that.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spektor56 wrote: »
    Any game where commanders dont do PG marines lose very quickly because they cant hold any power nodes. Commanders that drop lots of PG in pubs always end up winning because they end up with entire map control and aliens rage quit. Not to mention, with PG u can go back and heal up / get more ammo, with upgrades and no PG u cant do that.

He's not saying that PG will never come. It will come when its ready. Weapons 2 is nothin' to sneeze at.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    This strategy works. Sometimes.

This approach is limited entirely by map layout. You can do it on mineshaft with an operations spawn quite easily and effectively, but you can't do it with a repair spawn. Similarly, if you try doing this on a map like descent or veil, it will bite you in the ass.

The problem is that it relies on being able to easily and swiftly eliminate life forms who are defending an area, which is very useful. However, if the alien commander identifies your strategy, and fortifies 3 tech rooms with structures, your weapon upgrades won't count for anything.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited March 2013
    Spektor56 wrote: »

You can get meds and ammo from the commander, anywhere on the map, and during combat.

Medpacks are the most under utilized part of marine play in pub games.

• SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    In ~300 hours of pub (yeh yeh) I've seen no/late phase tech win maybe 2 or 3 times. I've no doubt early arms lab build can work too, but probably requires a bit more communication with the team.

I stick to the tried and tested method.
    Armoury > Obs > phase tech > res > res> etc
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    May be it's a not a bad idea if you play with your known skilled team, but it's very risky in pub with unknown companions.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    the strat from the OP has been becoming slightly more popular in the KKG servers (but not much), but the only times i've seen it actually work are when the teams are already stacked to the point that losing was never an option.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I was argued with when comming when I told the team my plans not too long ago (going fast wep 2), but pushed ahead and told my marines they'd have to get used to running and I'd give them medpack support.
    I still ended up getting phase tech earlier than I really wanted to, but the marines got the hang of what I wanted very quickly and we won quite comfortably. All the engagements went heavily in our favour early on in the game which gave a great boost.

Surprisingly, it was clanners who objected most to the lack of rushed phase...
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    the OP is thinking 'hmm if phase gates aren't used for pressure then why get them early?', it's a good point. but:
    Neoken wrote: »
    I'd say it's a perfectly viable strategy, but this only works if your marines are smart competent players with good positioning and situational awareness, who follow orders immediately. So that excludes 90% of all pub games. :)

this, otherwise you can't hold 4 RT's against a decent alien team.

mines and phase gates make the game a lot easier.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    If Marines have a phase gate, 95% of players will go through it when they spawn.
    If a Marine player has no structure to build, he will move to the next room within about 5 seconds.

• princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    I don't know, I think PGs first do help more to start off with in most situations (in your normal public game). They kind of encourage your marines to hold RTs (they won't have to walk so far to save them) and help get an early forward position to apply pressure to the aliens. Just my opinion :)

Out of interest, why do many people feel W1 before A1 is "better"? Genuine question, I'm intrigued.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    princess wrote: »
    I don't know, I think PGs first do help more to start off with in most situations (in your normal public game). They kind of encourage your marines to hold RTs (they won't have to walk so far to save them) and help get an early forward position to apply pressure to the aliens. Just my opinion :)

Out of interest, why do many people feel W1 before A1 is "better"? Genuine question, I'm intrigued.

killing buildings i guess.

A1 is only really helpful (practically essential) against fade, because skulks hardly ever use parasite*. as long as A1 comes before fade, it's no problem.

*even if skulk does use parasite, it stands to reason that the marine can get some shots in on the skulk negating or at least delaying the advantage 2-bite kill. not to mention that parasite gives the marine a "hoooowdy mr marine, i'm over here" greeting.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Early arms lab works in scrims. Not so much in pubs.

Tbh, I don't feel like weapons upgrades really matter against skulks. It's only a 1 bullet difference between upgrades (although I think if they have cara there's a 2-bullet jump between one of the weapons upgrades, forgot which). It's good to start the upgrading early though so they're ready for when fades come out. On pub servers however, it's difficult for the marines to maintain any kind of presence without the positional/mobility advantage that early phase gates give.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Map control and mobility looks better to me than upgrades.
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    edited March 2013
    Well, as a commander, ask yourself at the start of the match: Do I believe that the marines under my command are good enough to conquer, secure, hold and defend locations without the crutch of increased mobility from Phase Gates?

If the answer is Yes: You don't have to rush Phase Gates. You are probably also not playing in your average pub.
    If the answer is No: Rush Phase Gates. RIGHT NOW.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Lots of people saying : "it works when marines are smart, organized/competent/badass/whatever enough."
    Well, if your team is good enough it doesent matter if u go pg or armslab first, right? So ask yourself which tech is better.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Mr.Greedy wrote: »
    Lots of people saying : "it works when marines are smart, organized/competent/badass/whatever enough."
    Well, if your team is good enough it doesent matter if u go pg or armslab first, right? So ask yourself which tech is better.

This isn't true. Different tactics and techs are better for differently skilled teams. An extreme example would be that armor upgrades are completely redundant if your marines are so good that they never get bitten, but it doesn't make armor upgrades objectively useless.

Like everyone's said already, phase gates aren't that necessary when your team knows where to go, knows how to shoot and can actually push the sprint button, and in that case early upgrades are for the better. But if your team wanders aimlessly, you need to funnel them towards important locations via phase gates, and in that case early phase gates are better.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Might as well add having 5 marines rush their 2 natural expansions/rushing mines and dropping armouries to camp their hive is a legitimate strategy. Or rushing 2 tech nodes (esp in veil) and dropping fast sentries in the open after capping both natural expansions.
    Just like no PGs ever working on your average pub server with anything but a massive marine stack is more illusion than reality.
    edited March 2013
    Therius wrote: »

This isn't true. Different tactics and techs are better for differently skilled teams. An extreme example would be that armor upgrades are completely redundant if your marines are so good that they never get bitten, but it doesn't make armor upgrades objectively useless.

Like everyone's said already, phase gates aren't that necessary when your team knows where to go, knows how to shoot and can actually push the sprint button, and in that case early upgrades are for the better. But if your team wanders aimlessly, you need to funnel them towards important locations via phase gates, and in that case early phase gates are better.

What we are talking about? Public? How can u know everyone of an 18 slot public server.

edit: I was indicating with my last post that PG is the better upgrade.
    Overall I am also saying that "Different tactics and techs are better for differently skilled teams.". But not in this case
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Therius wrote: »

What we are talking about? Public? How can u know everyone of an 18 slot public server.

edit: I was indicating with my last post that PG is the better upgrade.
    Overall I am also saying that "Different tactics and techs are better for differently skilled teams.". But not in this case

I'm not talking about public or competitive, I'm just saying that different play styles and skills are better supplemented by different tech. Phase gates aren't objectively better, they just happen to be better on a regular public server because without them you can't expand since nobody knows where to go and what to do.
    edited March 2013
    It sounds strange but a PG is a kind of dmg/armor upgrade. U can avoid that time-eating walk from terminal to departures and bring your dmg much earlier to the enemy. All those time-expensive actions are less dmg to your enemy + a way less wall of hp between your enemy and your buildings. Not to mention that you can hold your RTs much better.

Yeah, if u got 3-4 badass rines in your team that get 19-1 stats it doesent realy matter. Just rush through the hive kill the eggs and its gg. But I am talking about balanced teams.