Fix on cyst bug

fleasfleas Join Date: 2007-10-13 Member: 62623Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
So sometimes cysting as alien commander fails. No matter how much you left click it doesn't want to drop a cyst.

Some work around was to either:
1) break a former cyst(bugged cyst)
2) Request someone to gorge and place a tunnel to cyst a node/area
3) cyst from the other end
4) spam cyst/cyst really far away

I thought it may be caused by over cysting(too many cyst on 1 hive chain). But this have proven me wrong on recent games that cyst bug has happened. Some says breaking some "bugged" cyst would fix the cyst chain which it did. Sometimes I notice when you can't cyst out anymore and the marines starts raping the chain seems to fix it at times.

Probably not an easy bug to solve but it would be great if it was solved since this would actually break the game

anyone else can provide info or workarounds would be great as well.

Comments

• sensen Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205292Members
    Sometimes the cyst chain gets screwed up when structures are placed in doorways instead of rooms. This might be what you're experiencing.
  • fleasfleas Join Date: 2007-10-13 Member: 62623Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    on ns2_tram, (server hive start) mezzanine had only 1 rt and maybe 1 crag but we couldn't cyst out. On the other side of the chain it was Warehouse with a hive w/ structures near the hive corner towards north tunnel(where marines would arc). Should not be what you are describing.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    -________________________________________________________________________________________-
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2016
    Like 9/10 times when I've encountered "cyst bugs" in game, turns out to be because a structure is on top of the lead cyst. Has happened many times when I command and I've helped tons of other comms realize that all they have to do is temporarily move the structure off the outermost cyst, or if the chain was broken, the nearest internal cyst, to get it working again. There have only been a very small number of times where I've encountered the hive or a room are actually bugged and prevent cysting.

For me, the culprit is usually a whip or a crag which I usually put on top of the nearest cyst to shield it. sometimes, especially on atrium start on summit, I'll place shift near the rt up there, which happens to usually be the first cyst in the chain, which will then prevent me from cysting out of atrium in either direction.

Work around = check your structures. If there's a structure on top of an outermost cyst, you're blocking cyst pathing.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    It's more complicated than that. I've had to echo out a whip that I had echoed in after spending upwards of 30 seconds trying to dislodge it, because structures can't just walk past cysts either. Or sometimes you have an upgrade there that you can't move. I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure that gorge tunnels block them too.

I have a very good suspect for your "legitimate" bugged cysting too, but its abusable and isn't a good idea to spread around. The devs should know about it too. At least Rantology would.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I have seen gorge tunnels block structures which are blocking pathing from moving out of the way, but don't know that I've seen a tunnel actually block a cyst, except for maybe one time on summit atrium start, tunnel was placed on bridge between cyst and rt. Other than that, I've not encountered a structure not being able to move over a cyst except for situations in which marine structures are blocking their path and they just kind of dance in place until one of them is destroyed or movement is cancelled. Anyways, most of the time there are cyst bugs, it's due to structure placement and is as easy at that. In the many thousands of rounds I've played, there have been only a few actual bugs I've seen in regards to cysting.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Do we still need cysts?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    We really never needed cysts.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Frozen wrote: »
    We really never needed cysts.

I should count all your messages claiming this. :D
    okay, thanks for the info. At least now I know what to look out for to repair the cyst chain. But honestly this should've been one of the priority bugs that should be fixed. Unless there's more I do not know about(reg hits do not really count since there's an update on it)
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited June 2016
    +1
    Cysts are unnecessary and unfun
    It's annoying to drop them and it's annoying to clear them. They cost performance and these patches of hobo vomit make the map look worse.

As an alien comm, you want to help your team with drifter support and bone walls and not redrop cysts all the time.
    As a marine, you want to shoot aliens and destroy (meaningfull) structures and not clear hobo vomit.

What am I? A space janitor?
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Lerks are annoying af too, but its an important game mechanic.... I cannot imagine ns without cysts now. That phong shader is a bit ugly, but then again, lerks are too :D

Only gorges are handsome
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Bicsum wrote: »
    +1
    It's annoying to drop them and it's annoying to clear them. They cost performance and these patches of hobo vomit make the map look worse.

I like the immersion. Aliens extending their territory through infestation progressively. + I got used to that mechanic, wouldn't like to get rid of it now.
    edited June 2016
    They are an important game mechanic, because structures currently die, when they don't have them. If you make it so, that structures don't die when they don't have them, then it's no longer an important game mechanc.

Pelargir wrote: »
    +1

I like the immersion. Aliens extending their territory through infestation progressively. + I got used to that mechanic, wouldn't like to get rid of it now.

Structures could still spread some infestation themselves. Just for the visuals of course.
    Nut then youre watering down the game and removing a nice asymmetrical element
    How is it watering down the game? Cysts are a complete no-brainer. Cysts are watering the game down, if anything.
    edited June 2016
    That mechanic is part, as said above, of the asymetrical gameplay. You would basically remove one of the biggest differences between Marines and Aliens. It would make the game easier to learn for rookies, that's certain but I'm not sure that's what I'd like to see.

One of the biggest downsides to me, would be to get rid of one of the immersion assets of NS2. When I first played, I was really enjoying that aspect of the game. Cysts aren't that boring anymore though, I remember a time you had to place them one by one, that was annoying.

That's also one of the elements that make it different from NS1.
    edited June 2016
    There would still be plenty of asymetrical gameplay left without cysting.

It isn't about making it easier for rookies. The mechanic is easy to understand, but that doesn't mean it's good or fun. You don't have to put much thought into it. You're just doing it, because you have to, which makes it annoying.

If it's really about immersion, then infestation could still be spread from hive to structure as an infestation chain with "invisible" cysts. Slowly but automatically.
    edited June 2016
    Marines have power nodes, aliens have cysts. Building power nodes and cysting may be tedious, but very important to NS2.

How would you justify healing stations next to marine base without cysting there first?
    There would still be plenty of asymetrical gameplay left without cysting.

It isn't about making it easier for rookies. The mechanic is easy to understand, but that doesn't mean it's good or fun.

If it's really about immersion, then infestaton could still be spread from hive to structure as an infestation chain with "invisible" cysts. Slowly but automatically.

Marines building structures themselves, Aliens evolving into lifeforms. Infestation spreading through cysts are the main differences in my opinion. You'd remove one of those three.

It's good since you basically can't go forward as Marines without stopping the infestation. If you place any structure on the infestation, it takes some damages. Which forces you most of the time to destroy the cysts before trying to push the Aliens, Aliens know about your location when you destroy a cyst so you must do it sneakily. You can also kill the very first cysts to stop the Aliens from pushing too far. You stop the infestation, you prevent the enemy from getting too far. Aliens can only place structures on the infestation, but to do so, you either need cysts or Gorge tunnels, you'd remove that other mechanic since structures would apparently create this infestation themselves. It's a rough summary of why we shouldn't remove cysts. Would lead to get rid of some important in my opinion mechanics.

How many games ended up by an Aliens win due to cysts spread to the Marines base or outposts, which allowed the Aliens to spawn Whips, Crags, and other Aliens structures discreetly?

I see it as Aliens pushing to the Marines base and Marines trying to slowly retake their territory by cleaning it up, until they reach the Aliens Hive and destroy it.
    With 'invisible cysts', you wouldn't be able to prevent Aliens from taking over unless you destroy enemies structures directly. Which would be less immersive, and less fun to me.

My 2 cents.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I see a lot of people asking for cysts to be removed, but almost nobody proposes any alternatives.
    You can't just remove them and let everything else be; it would completely mess with the game. What are the alternatives?

The only thing I could think of is:
    - Remove cysts. Make infestation spread automatically from hives to other hive locations and RTs, or let the commander choose which location it spreads to. Or even use "virtual cysts" (probably the easiest option), but that seems rather silly.
    - Make the flamethrower available from the start, like the welder. After all, how the hell are you going to clear infestation otherwise??
    - Replace the flamethrower's spot in the tech path with the MG, so "Advanced Armory" still makes sense (i.e. isn't just "Grenade Launcher")

I do not think this would improve the game that much, at least not for the work involved. But that's how I could see it work.
    edited June 2016
    .trixX. wrote: »
    How would you justify healing stations next to marine base without cysting there first?

You could do this already.
    If you really wanted to, even in the beginning of the match, but you don't, because you don't have the life forms to hold it against continuously spawning marines.
    I see it as Aliens pushing to the Marines base and Marines trying to slowly retake their territory by cleaning it up, until they reach the Aliens Hive and destroy it.
    With 'invisible cysts', you wouldn't be able to prevent Aliens from taking over unless you destroy enemies structures directly. Which would be less immersive, and less fun to me.

That is precisely the point. I want to prevent the aliens from taking over by destroying structures directly. I don't get the feeling of achievement from killing cysts, I get it from killing structures and aliens.

Instead of killing cysts, I want to destroy harvesters and outposts to prevent the aliens from taking over.
    I see a lot of people asking for cysts to be removed, but almost nobody proposes any alternatives.
    You can't just remove them and let everything else be; it would completely mess with the game. What are the alternatives?

+ remove cysts
    + structures may be built anywhere
    + structures built off infestation are built slower
    + structures spread infestation
    + increase resource cost for structures and possibly alien tech to compensate
    + Bonewall works off infestation, but not as strong as on infestation
    + Rapture may be cast anywhere on infestation (creates a cyst that explodes)

boom, easy

Now both alien commander and marines can focus on the gameplay elements that are fun.

Killing cysts is as fun as mowing the lawn or cleaning dead bugs off your cars windshield.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter

You could do this already.
    If you really wanted to, even in the beginning of the match, but you don't, because you don't have the life forms to hold it against continuously spawning marines.

That is precisely the point. I want to prevent the aliens from taking over by destroying structures directly. I don't get the feeling of achievement from killing cysts, I get it from killing structures and aliens.

Instead of killing cysts, I want to destroy harvesters and outposts to prevent the aliens from taking over.

+ remove cysts
    + structures may be built anywhere
    + structures built off infestation are built slower
    + structures spread infestation
    + increase resource cost for structures and possibly alien tech to compensate
    + Bonewall works off infestation, but not as strong as on infestation
    + Rapture may be cast anywhere on infestation (creates a cyst that explodes)

boom, easy

Now both alien commander and marines can focus on the gameplay elements that are fun.

Killing cysts is as fun as mowing the lawn or cleaning dead bugs off your cars windshield.

I agree with your opinion on removing cysts, but being able to cast bonewall off infestation would be a disaster. Nutrition mist already is a disaster because of that now and bonewall is even more annoying.
    Why all the hatred? #CystLivesMatter :P
    Precisely the point. I want to prevent the aliens from taking over by destroying structures directly. I don't get the feeling of achievement from killing cysts, I get it from killing structures and aliens.

From my point of view, cysts are the 'excuse' to spread infestation. But also a way to prevent Aliens from possibly expand too far. When the infestation reaches a specific location, Aliens can place structures immediately. But if there's no infestation, they can't settle down at all. So they basically need some time before being able to take these positions.

You see it the other way, right? The structures being what make Aliens' territory spread? In this case, nothing prevents the Aliens from expanding quickly? Would they only need to drop structures to spread the infestation that would therefore only serves as a shiny graphical element showing that we're dealing on the Alien ground? Instead of being the obstacle that slows down Aliens' expansion?

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Gorges would be required to build off infestation. Only way available. Please check my post history, 90% of it is shitting on the points you're repeating, no offense

Marines have power nodes, aliens have cysts. Building power nodes and cysting may be tedious, but very important to NS2.

edited June 2016
    @Pelargir @The_Welsh_Wizard

Separate cysts from building. Comms will build structures with gorges. Comms will cyst to use bonewall, cyst explosion, sticky shoes, etc.

It could just be made into a fun mechanic with even more abilities available. I never suggest throwing them out.
    edited June 2016
    Precisely the point. I want to prevent the aliens from taking over by destroying structures directly. I don't get the feeling of achievement from killing cysts, I get it from killing structures and aliens.

From my point of view, cysts are the 'excuse' to spread infestation. But also a way to prevent Aliens from possibly expand too far. When the infestation reaches a specific location, Aliens can place structures immediately. But if there's no infestation, they can't settle down at all. So they basically need some time before being able to take these positions.

You see it the other way, right? The structures being what make Aliens' territory spread? In this case, nothing prevents the Aliens from expanding quickly? Would they only need to drop structures to spread the infestation that would therefore only serves as a shiny graphical element showing that we're dealing on the Alien ground? Instead of being the obstacle that slows down Aliens' expansion?

Yes. The team resources and build times could prevent the aliens from expanding quickly just as well. The infestation could still be relevant for abilities however.

Also, the current cyst system doesn't really prevent you from expanding. If you established a cyst chain to your desired outpost location just once, you will practically never have to worry about losing it due to a dead cyst chain and at that point, you might just as well take cysts out of the game.

@Frozen i'm quite hard to offend, so none taken :D
    Also, the current cyst system doesn't really prevent you from expanding. If you established a cyst chain to your desired outpost location just once, you will practically never have to worry about losing it due to a dead cyst chain and at that point, you might just as well take cysts out of the game.

Can totally relate to this. No idea why breaking the cyst chain won't destroy the downstream ones anymore without healing. Either put that back, or just remove cysts, but this middle ground is stupid, not a goldilock zone.