Larger versions of established fauna

LeechSoupDotYumLeechSoupDotYum Join Date: 2016-02-24 Member: 213378Members
Without doing much work, you could make unsettling experiences for late game players. Making creatures players know bigger might be a fun way to make the deeper zones more surprising and cool. For example, a giant eyeye in the lost river zone could add to the ghost theme while not being insignificant and small. A massive rock grub could be deep in a cave, or a big warper could patrol the precursor base.

Comments

• andrewcandrewc Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225231Members
    Agree! They could also have size variations of all fish.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Would it just be aesthetic or would it affect the game in some way?

The creatures in monster hunter for example vary in size when you fight them, but it goes beyond just adding a little touch of realism to them - the smaller they are, the lower their stats. So fighting a fully grown rathalos is going to put up more of a fight than a runty one, which is to be expected of course but that's the point: Larger size, higher stats. Smaller size, lower stats.

So, would it be something akin to that? A larger variation would say be able to withstand more punishment before going under, and larger prey fauna would provide more nutrition when consumed?
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    Nice Idea - I agree. Maybe this special big versions of the established fauna have special attributes and you can scan them to get the informations.
  • yungmewyungmew United States, California Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225432Members
    I don't see it being a thing.

Why would specific fish of the same species be giant?
    It makes no biological or evolutionary sense.

A giant peeper is still a peeper and a Reaper's gunna hesitate for a second before realizing its just a bigger meal.
    Creatures on this planet could be like trees.. the older they are the bigger.. they don't stop growing.
    These larger variations could fill up the current empty open seas.
  • yungmewyungmew United States, California Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225432Members
    andrewc wrote: »
    Creatures on this planet could be like trees.. the older they are the bigger.. they don't stop growing.

Makes little sense.

Still imagine a giant cutefish just coming up to you to give you a high five.
    Then it slaps your seamoth 600m into the air.
    yungmew wrote: »

Makes little sense.

LOL. I'm sure there would be size limitations.
    Not sure what you call evolution but usually in nature there is no one creature identical in size.

You also get giantism - not sure exactly what it is called
    yungmew wrote: »

Makes little sense.

LOL. I'm sure there would be size limitations.
    Not sure what you call evolution but usually in nature there is no one creature identical in size.

You also get giantism - not sure exactly what it is called

Obviously no two creatures grow exactly the same way.

Doesnt really explain how a fish could grow to be more than like...1.3x its genetically coded size.
    edited January 2017
    There is a big excitement in finding something bigger - have you fished before?
    We always want to find the biggest one. So its adding that essence to the game.
    There is a big excitement in finding something bigger - have you fished before?
    We always want to find the biggest one. So its adding that essence to the game.

I've definitely fished before.

I've never caught a Stingray the size of a yacht, but I have caught a stingray the size of...well a stingray.