Planetside.... Sequel?

Comments

• Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931070:date=Apr 28 2012, 06:11 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Apr 28 2012, 06:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be fair, the original Lightning still looked sturdier than it was. It was a buggy, not a tank.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In the right hands though it was a pain in your conductivity.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    It wasn't a BAD buggy, but nobody would call it tough. We're talking about a vehicle that was potentially threatend by handheld AV weapons and AV MAXes.
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    Never said it was bad it was pretty powerful for it's speed and low armor value.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x6HgC6Exs0U"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x6HgC6Exs0U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    gameplay, albeit with all of 10 players and lots of bugs

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hjsd5uouw9I"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hjsd5uouw9I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    Vehicle customization!
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    July issue of UK PCGamer has priority access beta code :)
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    I don't know whether to use mine or not. I'm an old planetside player, so I should already be priority beta access (apparently). So what if I use the code, and that bumps me down an access level so it thinks I'm not an old planetside player and all of them get their beta access and then I don't for a while because I used the code? Or what if they've made the PCGamer key beta access <b>top</b> priority and original PS players are middle priority and by not using the code, I'm going to be waiting even longer?
  • CabooseFoxCabooseFox Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151970Members
    I learned about the new Planetside from Totalbiscuit and I think it looks good but I kinda think old players aren't gonna like some of the changed Tb was personally concerned that they put boundaries very close to beaches so you couldn't get a galaxy of infiltrators behind enemy lines at that it takes waaaaayyy longer to capture something if you don't own land next to it( I.e. if you're trying to infiltrate behind enemy lines capture nodes will take like 20 minutes to hack instead of like 20 seconds that are at the front lines)-random numbers btw but yeah I liked the idea of outfits that TB keeps mentioning but it seems that no longer exists, the game looks really good though overall.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    edited June 2012
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLakXgelJGY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLakXgelJGY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/98bGepZsKc4&feature=plcp"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/98bGepZsKc4&feature=plcp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_OT4UHXelU&feature=plcp"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_OT4UHXelU&feature=plcp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xcmHYuUbn0&feature=relmfu"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xcmHYuUbn0&feature=relmfu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <!--quoteo(post=1942333:date=Jun 9 2012, 12:54 AM:name=CabooseFox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CabooseFox @ Jun 9 2012, 12:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]it takes waaaaayyy longer to capture something if you don't own land next to it( I.e. if you're trying to infiltrate behind enemy lines capture nodes will take like 20 minutes to hack instead of like 20 seconds that are at the front lines)[...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I could swear I posted a reply to this, but the forum must have hiccupped and swallowed it or something, so here we go again:

Planetside 1 had this as well. If you wanted to hack a facility you didn't have a link to, first you'd have to destroy everything in it to get the NTU to drain as fast as possible. But even "as fast as possible" was still pretty damn slow. Sometimes you even had to destroy things again because they'd auto-repair back to full strength before you were done.
    Then once the NTU dropped to zero the facility turned neutral, meaning that anyone could hack it at any time. Then you'd hack it and have to wait for fifteen minutes, torn between hoping for a fight and fearing that if the enemy showed up in numbers all your hard work could be wasted in an instant.
    Then once the facility was yours you still had to refuel the NTU so it was actually operational. And finally you probably had to run around with glue guns and repair everything.

The reasoning behind that was that it mostly kept fighting at the front lines, instead of spreading it across the entire map. I think that ultimately it was a good thing. I like it when frontlines can just form naturally like that.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    And then SOE did what they do best and ###### it all up, and flipping bases to neutral became the norm and ANTs were never seen again.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Well, I still saw them regularly when I played PS again just over a year ago.
    <!--quoteo(post=1942404:date=Jun 9 2012, 03:41 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Jun 9 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And then SOE did what they do best and ###### it all up, and flipping bases to neutral became the norm and ANTs were never seen again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why, what'd they do?
    So a lot of people I used to play Planetside 1 with have gotten their Keys... Anyone else mere gotten their keys just because they used to play Planetside?
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
  • CabooseFoxCabooseFox Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151970Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942391:date=Jun 9 2012, 07:46 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jun 9 2012, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942391"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could swear I posted a reply to this, but the forum must have hiccupped and swallowed it or something, so here we go again:

Planetside 1 had this as well. If you wanted to hack a facility you didn't have a link to, first you'd have to destroy everything in it to get the NTU to drain as fast as possible. But even "as fast as possible" was still pretty damn slow. Sometimes you even had to destroy things again because they'd auto-repair back to full strength before you were done.
    Then once the NTU dropped to zero the facility turned neutral, meaning that anyone could hack it at any time. Then you'd hack it and have to wait for fifteen minutes, torn between hoping for a fight and fearing that if the enemy showed up in numbers all your hard work could be wasted in an instant.
    Then once the facility was yours you still had to refuel the NTU so it was actually operational. And finally you probably had to run around with glue guns and repair everything.

The reasoning behind that was that it mostly kept fighting at the front lines, instead of spreading it across the entire map. I think that ultimately it was a good thing. I like it when frontlines can just form naturally like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah I was going off of information from TB I have looked into planetside but not as much as some. I do think the game looks good and will probably get it but the idea of having spec ops with a group of 10 ppl and infiltrating a base sounded really fun. I like the idea of nighttime battles as well, I got the trial for Battlegrounds Europe or w/e that stupid WWII MMO was and it was terrible. Most of the time you couldn't find an enemy or a friendly for hours, you couldn't do anything unless some people were already doing it/were ordered to by a superior, spawn camping was rampant, death was instantaneous and most of the time you had no idea where/who shot you, sometimes hitboxes wouldn't respond and you would shoot some one that was sitting still and sniping and it would do nothing, and he would turn around and kill you instantly, and don't even get me started on the plane gameplay
    Night isn't dark enough. I dislike night being 'everything turns blue'. Day/night and weather systems are a great way to keep battles feeling dynamic but I'm a little annoyed at seeing developers limp-wrist the implementation of it.
    Right. Infiltration and such WOULD be fun, but it's just not really an option in a game like this. Infiltration is only fun if there are defenders you need to bypass. But that only happens at the front lines. Nobody wants to sit around and defend some backwater base just in case something MIGHT happen, so those are always deserted.
    I don't know what you'll do if you want that kind of gameplay in PS2, but in PS1 I remember that we had one guy on the TR side who sometimes managed to pull off legendary feats of infiltration. He'd park a Router behind the tower (held by us) at a base we were attacking, and then he'd put on a cloak suit and sneak into the basement of the base to quietly place the Router Pad there. A Router, for those not in the know, was a vehicle that worked as a one-way teleporter, from Router (vehicle) to Router Pad (man-deployable item). So one moment we would be fighting hard TRYING to breach the front doors, and the next moment the call would go out: "Router to basement! Go through now!" And then the base's basement would be swarming with MAXes and other infantry and the generator would be destroyed and the entire fight was over before the enemy knew what hit them. A rare moment, but absolutely beautiful when it happened, and a great example of one player having a huge impact on a fight.

As for WW2 Online, I've never played it myself, but most of what you complain about wasn't an issue in Planetside. Finding a fight was never a problem, there were plenty of opportunities for doing things "solo" (though you ought not to - teamwork was stronger than good solo play), spawn camping was not a huge problem, death was rarely instantaneous (though sometimes infuriatingly unavoidable), and you'd usually have a good idea what killed you. Lag was an issue (though it got better over time), but for stationary targets hitboxes were fine. As far as planes go, mixed opinions on whether they were overpowered or not, whether they dominated outdoor fighting too much or not, but at least I don't think I heard much complaining about the controls.
    edited June 2012
    ^

Well, one of the major complaints I had with Planetside was that base battles were never much fun to defend in the first place. You were guaranteed to lose every base you fought for. I can't remember one time we ever successfully defended a base, it was just a matter of delaying the inevitable. All the enemy had to do was keep killing your base turrets and you'd flip to neutral in 15 minutes. Capture the tower and engage the completely unstoppable zergrush to the walls. A backdoor. Most bases consisted of a basement full of crates and one or two big open rooms upstairs, and that was it.

With the attackers having unlimited resources, there's no way they can really lose. The only way you can really defend a base is if the attacker get bored or the server crashes.
    <!--quoteo(post=1943302:date=Jun 14 2012, 09:09 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Jun 14 2012, 09:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^

Well, one of the major complaints I had with Planetside was that base battles were never much fun to defend in the first place. You were guaranteed to lose every base you fought for. I can't remember one time we ever successfully defended a base, it was just a matter of delaying the inevitable. All the enemy had to do was keep killing your base turrets and you'd flip to neutral in 15 minutes. Capture the tower and engage the completely unstoppable zergrush to the walls. A backdoor. Most bases consisted of a basement full of crates and one or two big open rooms upstairs, and that was it.

With the attackers having unlimited resources, there's no way they can really lose. The only way you can really defend a base is if the attacker get bored or the server crashes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only time I remember defending a base was with a few Liberators fully crewed domming. Loved Liberators, lol.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8vndAbrwv4M"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8vndAbrwv4M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HNlModij9A"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HNlModij9A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    New trailer, but no new content.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    <a href="https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/217640050379341824" target="_blank">30 DAYS FREE for Planetside 1 starting this week for all vets</a>
    Question is just how we get it.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    I loved planet side. Played it for hours on end. I havent played it in years but Planetside to makes me want to freeze my self and wake up when its out. I cannot wait ( sadly i have to:( ) and its Free to play, wow i am going to enjoy this
    Well I just got and activated my Planetside 2 Beta Key. Let the jelly begin.
    <!--quoteo(post=1947179:date=Jun 28 2012, 04:09 AM:name=Konohas Perverted Hermit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Konohas Perverted Hermit @ Jun 28 2012, 04:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I just got and activated my Planetside 2 Beta Key. Let the jelly begin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How did you get one of those :o
    <!--quoteo(post=1947189:date=Jun 27 2012, 09:00 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Jun 27 2012, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947189"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How did you get one of those :o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Planetside 1 Veteran.
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1947215:date=Jun 28 2012, 07:44 AM:name=Konohas Perverted Hermit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Konohas Perverted Hermit @ Jun 28 2012, 07:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Planetside 1 Veteran.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So where the eff is mine?

I don't even think the email I used is still valid.
    <!--quoteo(post=1947216:date=Jun 28 2012, 01:03 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Jun 28 2012, 01:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So where the eff is mine?

I don't even think the email I used is still valid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As far as I can tell they are selecting the Planetside 1 Veterans with the beefiest computers first. Take the survey with your old account one what your PC type is (granted it doesn't list everything).
    Well this is awkward, I cant remember my Station password and when i request to change it, I cant remember the Awnswer to my Secret question :/ well I fail