Planetside.... Sequel?

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1973559:date=Sep 8 2012, 01:17 AM:name=Narfwak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Narfwak @ Sep 8 2012, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Apparently there's another huge patch today, although no patch notes yet (as per usual). I really wish they'd remember to post this stuff before they pushed the patches overnight; they're pretty good about engaging the community otherwise but patch notes are kind of a big deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Narf?

NARF?

Jesus, everyone's coming back.

Also: <a href="http://www.planetside2.com/alpha-squad" target="_blank">http://www.planetside2.com/alpha-squad</a>

Pay $40, get 40 of spacebux, and get beta access now. I'm seriously considering it.

--Scythe--
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973963:date=Sep 8 2012, 06:13 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Sep 8 2012, 06:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Narf?

NARF?

Jesus, everyone's coming back.

Also: <a href="http://www.planetside2.com/alpha-squad" target="_blank">http://www.planetside2.com/alpha-squad</a>

Pay $40, get 40 of spacebux, and get beta access now. I'm seriously considering it.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know, right? I've even been playing that NS2 beta thingamajig that's been sitting around on my drive for the better part of the last year. Insanity!

I'm thinking about doing the Alpha Squad deal as well since I'm thinking of spending about that much on store purchases at release to avoid having to grind out a few basic upgrades. I guess what I end up playing is going to depend a lot on where the game is sitting by then since the balance changes they're making are still ridiculously huge, although I'd like to do either Reaver/Scythe/Mosquito and/or Liberator play depending on what suits my fancy come release day.

I play/played Recon almost exclusively in BF3, so I might do Infiltrator in PS2 instead of being an air jockey. All forms of hacking and basically all of the really interesting rifles and toys are still TBI so there's no telling if they'll ever end up having any real usefulness.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Can anyone in the beta comment on how the game "feels" in terms of movement and aiming? Is it responsive like Source games or delayed like locked-30fps-vsync-on games (if any of that makes sense).
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1974096:date=Sep 8 2012, 02:04 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Sep 8 2012, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can anyone in the beta comment on how the game "feels" in terms of movement and aiming? Is it responsive like Source games or delayed like locked-30fps-vsync-on games (if any of that makes sense).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Infantry aim feels just like Battlefield 3. It's pretty responsive. Hit detection seems to be client side, so even though I'm playing on a west coast server from central I've never had a problem with ping.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Last nights patch was pretty damn awesome, all my frame rate issues went bye bye.

Also, penis rifles.
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/REyQEgejnDY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/REyQEgejnDY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    Man, I'm so lost at this game. Most of the time you are just camping a spawn or waiting around for forcefields to go away. I have no idea what triggers what and the chat isn't eager to respond to anything. Flying seems like a just as heavy campfest since my first 3 tries on different bases I ended up dead within 10 seconds from spawn.

Also, yet again, the friend system is ###### on me just like tribez. My friend and I joined the same server and the same faction and when we add each other it just says "x wants to add you as a friend" but it doesn't actually add him. There is no confirmation button and despite a icon with "F12" started flashing it doesn't do anything when I press it either.

EU players, add me. Same name here as always, hopefully that friend thingy is a one time thing to mess up. EU 01.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    svenpa, flashing f12 means someone sent you a request, hitting f12 should open a little "yes - no" menu on the bottom right, it works for me, but ive seen friends of mine where it does nothing. also adding friends is broken, some stick, some disapear, some cant not be re added.

also, we need a NS2 outfit, and squads, this game sucks going solo, or with squads which are scattered across the map.

and can someone confirm that they removed drop pods, or if squads are just broken? i can not drop in to my squads location anymore, they do not show up on the spawn menu.

also, head tilt bug after respawning, with invisible weapon.

sometimes its fixing itself after a few minutes, sometimes not.

last update broke so many things again, oh , and i get killed alot more by "planking" soldiers lately, you know, these stuck in the laying death animation while running around.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Squad spawning is now tied to a Leadership cert and is a deployable item so if squad leader hasn't certed for it and equipt the item and dropped it you can't squad spawn. Been like that for awhile.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    Bloody ######arse @ friends.

Yay @ outfits.

The only time I've been dropped near my squad is if someone uses a dropbeacon.

I often get invisible weapon, view-on-the-floor bug but it always corrects after shooting, jumping and switching weapons around.

I recently got IRNV for the sniper and holy damn, I can see EVERYTHING at nearly all distances. It's just as bad as BF3 pre IRNV nerf. Is there any tradeoff for smacking on a suppressor as well as IRNV at the same time? I know IRNV lowers your fov but there is no mention of what attachments do otherwise, like the front grip.

Any tips to get more auraxium? I too want oneshot lock-on launcher with 2km effective range. I have no idea how to counter it as a tank other than to back away or hide behind stuff. I hardly notice a lock-on before it's too late anyway, it's like a gentle purr in the background noise.

Why is flying so hard? Flying and shooting accurately with m+kb seems hopeless. Also, do I need a cert to fly galaxies and where are galaxies acquired?
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Damn it, I bought this alpha squad to get beta access. And all servers are locked :/

Just great.....
    <!--quoteo(post=1974972:date=Sep 10 2012, 09:59 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Sep 10 2012, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn it, I bought this alpha squad to get beta access. And all servers are locked :/

Just great.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, they arent open 24/7
    you have to check the forums anouncement section for testing times, its usualy <a href="http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/pacific-time/" target="_blank">2am PST to 12am PST</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1974965:date=Sep 10 2012, 12:28 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Sep 10 2012, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any tips to get more auraxium? I too want oneshot lock-on launcher with 2km effective range. I have no idea how to counter it as a tank other than to back away or hide behind stuff. I hardly notice a lock-on before it's too late anyway, it's like a gentle purr in the background noise.

Why is flying so hard? Flying and shooting accurately with m+kb seems hopeless. Also, do I need a cert to fly galaxies and where are galaxies acquired?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Make sure you're always fighting in an auraxium base. You obviously want as many ticks as possible, and I do remember a dev saying you get a small lump sum when you capture or defend an auraxium base. Other than that do what everyone else is doing and going AFK all day at warpgate.

What about it are you finding hard to aim? I assume you're using kb to track a target as that's the only way I would consider hard, but as a digital source that's bad. If you're behind a target you shouldn't have a problem. If the target is perpendicular to you, roll 90 degrees in the direction they're going in and pitch 'up' to track them. Also crosshairs are not accurate atm. In my Scythe the crosshair simply points directly out of the cockpit but the gun fires from below that so I adjust the aim in my head by about a centimetre below the crosshair.

You do not need to cert for any vehicle. They're available from the from terminals at your warpgate. Look for a terminal near the ground vehicle spawn area. It should be near one of the pillars and is up a few steps on a platform.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Whee! This is fun. Shooting mans in the faces, capturing bases, flying around like fighter aces.

Too bad it's only online until 18:00 Australia-time. I have a brief sliver of time in which to play it after I get home from work.

--Scythe--
    <!--quoteo(post=1975035:date=Sep 10 2012, 04:53 PM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Sep 10 2012, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make sure you're always fighting in an auraxium base. You obviously want as many ticks as possible, and I do remember a dev saying you get a small lump sum when you capture or defend an auraxium base. Other than that do what everyone else is doing and going AFK all day at warpgate.

What about it are you finding hard to aim? I assume you're using kb to track a target as that's the only way I would consider hard, but as a digital source that's bad. If you're behind a target you shouldn't have a problem. If the target is perpendicular to you, roll 90 degrees in the direction they're going in and pitch 'up' to track them. Also crosshairs are not accurate atm. In my Scythe the crosshair simply points directly out of the cockpit but the gun fires from below that so I adjust the aim in my head by about a centimetre below the crosshair.

You do not need to cert for any vehicle. They're available from the from terminals at your warpgate. Look for a terminal near the ground vehicle spawn area. It should be near one of the pillars and is up a few steps on a platform.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the tips, found and flew my first galaxy into near instant doom. I'm baffled that a lot of people already got 12k+ auraxium for rocketpods for air vehicles, but perhaps that's just TR with its constant failure to keep any land far from the warpgate :( We truly crash every evening.
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    I'm running outta things to buy with my Araxium and Certification points.. One good thing from that is I'm finding arrot of bugs, bad thing is if it takes thing to get almost everything out now how long on release?...

P.S. .50 on the Flash is like a mobile Engineer turret lol.
    <!--quoteo(post=1975689:date=Sep 11 2012, 03:33 PM:name=Konohas Perverted Hermit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Konohas Perverted Hermit @ Sep 11 2012, 03:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm running outta things to buy with my Araxium and Certification points.. One good thing from that is I'm finding arrot of bugs, bad thing is if it takes thing to get almost everything out now how long on release?...

P.S. .50 on the Flash is like a mobile Engineer turret lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tell me your secrets. I've been playing 5-6 times for several hours and yet to scrape up even 5000 auraxium. I guess it helps to be something else than no-territory TR on EU01.
    It's all relative as I've often seen TR taking Tarwich and Zurvan from us VS.
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1975788:date=Sep 11 2012, 10:04 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Sep 11 2012, 10:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tell me your secrets. I've been playing 5-6 times for several hours and yet to scrape up even 5000 auraxium. I guess it helps to be something else than no-territory TR on EU01.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Get with a big group/platoon and take everything you can get your hands on. Also destroying Galaxy with a Mosquito/Skyguard = 150+ Araxium so long as it has 3+ people in it. West 01 Terran is teh win.

<!--quoteo(post=1975818:date=Sep 11 2012, 10:53 AM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Sep 11 2012, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's all relative as I've often seen TR taking Tarwich and Zurvan from us VS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We take everyting from none believers and deserters!
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    I got the privilege to roll armor with an entire full platoon the other day. Wow did it ever bring back memories, it was incredibly fun. The new sentries and base layouts make it incredibly fun to do a blitzkrieg, I really want to get in on some more organized gameplay now. If anyone has a good outfit on US E1 let me know, I've been getting my prowler maxed out and getting bursters for my max. Armor is incredibly fun now that you can customize more.
    edited September 2012
    I fly KB only, WSAD+arrow keys, B bound to fire, N bound to zoom, ctrl and space for vertical thrust controls. It's pretty weird coming from BF3, but once I got the hang of things it actually feels easier now. I think the problem with trying to WSAD+mouse is that the horizontal axis on the mouse controls roll instead of yaw, so it doesn't actually help you aim at all and just feels kind of weird in general (since, y'know, it's a mouse, not a stick). I'm still working my way out of third person crutch for a lot of situations, but at least I don't use it nearly as much in dogfights anymore and most of the time I can stay in first person and listen for the enemy instead of having to pop in and out of third person to search for them. The only gripe I have is the VTOL/horizontal mode switching isn't always very smart about how and when it decides to switch modes, but they changed the flight mechanics since the technical test and it's responsive enough that you can force it to do what you want it to do now.

I'd advise against getting too many points in roll rate or maybe even turn rate on a reaver as it makes aiming with pure KB controls that much more difficult. It's already twitchy when you have a binary control, so adding more speed to that only makes life more difficult in zoom. I'm not sure if it has the same impact on the other two light aircraft, although as of the new certs coming out I've seen scythes do some pretty spectacularly silly and annoying instant stop 180 turns.

The air-to-ground rocket nerf is pretty stupid, mostly because it makes rockets worse for killing tanks instead of better, less efficient for killing infantry but still effective and one of the best options in many cases (as there is no indirect fire support), and, worst of all, better as an air-to-air weapon, especially against liberators. A decent single-seat pilot can kill a liberator in a single pass almost every time now.
    <!--quoteo(post=1976859:date=Sep 12 2012, 09:49 PM:name=Drfuzzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drfuzzy @ Sep 12 2012, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got the privilege to roll armor with an entire full platoon the other day. Wow did it ever bring back memories, it was incredibly fun. The new sentries and base layouts make it incredibly fun to do a blitzkrieg, I really want to get in on some more organized gameplay now. If anyone has a good outfit on US E1 let me know, I've been getting my prowler maxed out and getting bursters for my max. Armor is incredibly fun now that you can customize more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My only problem with the ground vehicles is that you can only get one armor upgrade for them. I can see why you can only get one for aircrafts due to weight restrictions. However ground vehicles especially tanks shouldn't be bound by such things.

<!--quoteo(post=1976868:date=Sep 12 2012, 10:19 PM:name=Narfwak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Narfwak @ Sep 12 2012, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I fly KB only, WSAD+arrow keys, B bound to fire, N bound to zoom, ctrl and space for vertical thrust controls. It's pretty weird coming from BF3, but once I got the hang of things it actually feels easier now. I think the problem with trying to WSAD+mouse is that the horizontal axis on the mouse controls roll instead of yaw, so it doesn't actually help you aim at all and just feels kind of weird in general (since, y'know, it's a mouse, not a stick). I'm still working my way out of third person crutch for a lot of situations, but at least I don't use it nearly as much in dogfights anymore and most of the time I can stay in first person and listen for the enemy instead of having to pop in and out of third person to search for them. The only gripe I have is the VTOL/horizontal mode switching isn't always very smart about how and when it decides to switch modes, but they changed the flight mechanics since the technical test and it's responsive enough that you can force it to do what you want it to do now.

I'd advise against getting too many points in roll rate or maybe even turn rate on a reaver as it makes aiming with pure KB controls that much more difficult. It's already twitchy when you have a binary control, so adding more speed to that only makes life more difficult in zoom. I'm not sure if it has the same impact on the other two light aircraft, although as of the new certs coming out I've seen scythes do some pretty spectacularly silly and annoying instant stop 180 turns.

The air-to-ground rocket nerf is pretty stupid, mostly because it makes rockets worse for killing tanks instead of better, less efficient for killing infantry but still effective and one of the best options in many cases (as there is no indirect fire support), and, worst of all, better as an air-to-air weapon, especially against liberators. A decent single-seat pilot can kill a liberator in a single pass almost every time now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have the turn rate upgrade on my Mosquito just because all I basically do with it is strafe run ground targets or landed aircrafts. Another thing you might want to try when flying while using the keyboard/mouse at the same time is when you turn with your mouse do the same (or opposite, I cannot remember right now) on your keyboard. Stops you from rolling and keeps your wings level.
    Ugh. Different strokes for different folks but the thought of flying only with kb makes me want to shoot myself.
    <!--quoteo(post=1976973:date=Sep 13 2012, 07:07 AM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Sep 13 2012, 07:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ugh. Different strokes for different folks but the thought of flying only with kb makes me want to shoot myself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's how I flew in Desert Combat, so I've just stuck to it... mostly because I don't have a decent joystick and have never bothered looking into getting one. If the joystick control actually gives significant advantage in PS2 when they do finally implement it I may consider finally doing some research and getting one.
    Btw, if you grabbed a alpha squad account , you get Mailed a free additional key to give away
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1977097:date=Sep 13 2012, 04:46 PM:name=Narfwak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Narfwak @ Sep 13 2012, 04:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977097"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's how I flew in Desert Combat, so I've just stuck to it... mostly because I don't have a decent joystick and have never bothered looking into getting one. If the joystick control actually gives significant advantage in PS2 when they do finally implement it I may consider finally doing some research and getting one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh I'm not knocking it. If it works for you then that's fine by me :) but I know I'd spend half my time arguing with the kb instead of soaring as a majestic bird like I do with my mouse.

I hope they add some pretty hardcore stat tracking at some point, probably web based. I'd like to know just how I compare to other pilots.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    If anyone has no use for the spare key I'd definitely like to give it a try.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Latest patches have made it run (relatively) smoothly on my computer. I managed to actually kill someone, for example.

Unfortunately that led me to the realisation I've been fearing since PS2 was announced:

I really don't like PS2. Nothing about it feels right to me, yet there are just enough parts of PS1 shining through cracks to make me feel sad that it doesn't live up to that.
    <!--quoteo(post=1977835:date=Sep 14 2012, 05:26 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Sep 14 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Latest patches have made it run (relatively) smoothly on my computer. I managed to actually kill someone, for example.

Unfortunately that led me to the realisation I've been fearing since PS2 was announced:

I really don't like PS2. Nothing about it feels right to me, yet there are just enough parts of PS1 shining through cracks to make me feel sad that it doesn't live up to that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think its mostly due to the F2P features, but they're aiming for far more massive battles than we're experiencing right now. I think the problem currently is everyone is playing it like OLOLOL MODERN WARFARE 12
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/atT736FbV4U"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/atT736FbV4U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    Reset stats make me sad =[

Since the last update it runs much better but for some reason it seems a lot harder to do play well...