Planetside.... Sequel?

Comments

• Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982495:date=Sep 24 2012, 11:41 AM:name=Drake1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drake1 @ Sep 24 2012, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reset stats make me sad =[

Since the last update it runs much better but for some reason it seems a lot harder to do play well...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because they beefed Badnu and gave Not Carries more damage.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    I was gonna mention the smurfs seemed buffed giving that they where completely steamrolling us earlier and even the light assault class where able to drop me in a short burst regardless of my class.

Also is it me or are the sniper rifles are retardly OP one hit kill machines especially the vanu's which forgive me if I'm wrong seems to be semi auto...

Anyway one nice thing about the character wipe is that now not every light aircraft in the sky is raining down rockets at anything that moves.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited September 2012
    Edit

Huh, can't log into Station. Requested my password as I forgot it, changed it, and can't log in as it keeps saying the username/pw is wrong.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1982693:date=Sep 25 2012, 03:16 AM:name=Drake1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drake1 @ Sep 25 2012, 03:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was gonna mention the smurfs seemed buffed giving that they where completely steamrolling us earlier and even the light assault class where able to drop me in a short burst regardless of my class.

Also is it me or are the sniper rifles are retardly OP one hit kill machines especially the vanu's which forgive me if I'm wrong seems to be semi auto...

Anyway one nice thing about the character wipe is that now not every light aircraft in the sky is raining down rockets at anything that moves.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The "dying to almost nothing" could be that they haven't fixed the nanoweave bug yet (makes you die to 1 shot at random instead of increasing your hp).

The single shot sniper rifles are OP, there is no advantage having semi-auto when you need to shoot a guy 3-4 times as they always start spazzing madly after 1 shot. Oh wait, you can burst fire from the hip in extreme close quarters, THAT'S the advantage. For a sniper class. Woop.

The wipe ruined everything for me. All I had unlocked was a lock-on AT launcher and that took a lot of time both idling and playing to get. I don't get how some people had rocket barrages, AA MAX guns and HEAT rounds for tanks on the same character. They are basically begging people to idle or cough up dough for smedleybux. The former most likely being "fixed" sooner or later.

Edit: Another patch, 3.8gb yet not nearly enough new content to make up for it. Are they making me download a bunch of stuff I already have or something?
    <!--quoteo(post=1982854:date=Sep 25 2012, 01:34 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Sep 25 2012, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The "dying to almost nothing" could be that they haven't fixed the nanoweave bug yet (makes you die to 1 shot at random instead of increasing your hp).

The single shot sniper rifles are OP, there is no advantage having semi-auto when you need to shoot a guy 3-4 times as they always start spazzing madly after 1 shot. Oh wait, you can burst fire from the hip in extreme close quarters, THAT'S the advantage. For a sniper class. Woop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats the thing with the snipers when I was on the day before yesterday we had just taken the crown after a glorious battle and were in the midst of setting up defenses when this one same vanu sniper kept creeping in over and over and anytime we met face to face it was an instant one hit kill on me and although I could hear him fire twice in quick succession I always dropped after the first.

That said it may be to do with whatever bug you mentioned but either way its incredibly irritating.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    edited September 2012
    They added a one-shot kill sniper rifle. To Planetside. Wow. I don't know why I ever had any faith in SOE at all.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1983025:date=Sep 25 2012, 08:45 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 25 2012, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983025"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They added a one-shot kill sniper rifle. To Planetside. Wow. I don't know why I ever had any faith in SOE at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's almost like it's a beta and they're trying different levels of balance...

Personally I can count the number of times I've been killed by a sniper on one hand, and it's always been a TR rifle and required 2-3 shots.
    Why try something that is OBJECTIVELY a terrible, terrible idea? I played Planetside 1. YOU think Starfires are underpowered. Clearly my word counts more than yours.
    Because it's something people may want? For the sheer hell of it to see what happens? I see very little complaints about sniper rifles on the forums so I doubt it's high on their list for a balance pass just yet. I might play as infil tonight for the first time and see what they're like.

And I never said that :P
    The people who want one-hit kill sniper rifles are universal ######tards who don't deserve to play the game. Hell they barely deserve to live. Trust me. The faster those raging dipsticks leave the game, the better for all of us.
    I can confirm that the Vanu sniper rifle is not one hit kill to body shots. Was two body shots at point blank range against an infil and 2 body shots at longer range against a medic. I couldn't get headshots with default scope at the ranges I was firing at so I don't know whether those are one shot, but would anyone seriously mind headshots being one shots?
    Completely conflicts with what I was experiencing last night, vanu and the smurfs had us well hemmed in at the crown with each faction on either side (seemingly ganging up on us) and those vanu ######s had a sunderer parked up well in below the west bridge and where constantly throwing infantry at us which we where somehow managing to hold off expect for a small handful of infiltrators who ran in spamming their sniper rifles.

I cant count how many times I didn't even hear killing shot given how chaotic it was but I never once got shield flashes or a bloody screen just instant death.

Aside from that I encountered some bizarre bug that kept flagging telling me I was attacking friendlies when I was damaging/destroying enemy base defence turrets meaning I just had to stop attacking them less I get kicked...

Also you now get kicked for idling apparently...
    <!--quoteo(post=1983628:date=Sep 27 2012, 12:18 PM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Sep 27 2012, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]would anyone seriously mind headshots being one shots?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't want sniper rifles to dominate outdoor combat, so yeah, I would mind. What kept them from dominating outdoor fights in Planetside 1 was that they didn't kill in one shot, and that there were hefty accuracy penalties for moving or jerking your aim around too much. Sniper rifles were an area of the game that didn't need changing, and if they'd just leave well enough alone everyone would be happy.
    If it requires a headshot to one hit kill I don't particually see the issue. Rewards skill as people move faster than in PS and there's bullet drop as well. I could understand body shots being annoying to one hit kill but they're not.
    The issue is that it'll make sniper rifles dominate outdoor fights. You and I may not be able to aim for ######, but there are people who are frustratingly good at landing headshots. Give them a game like Planetside with huge open areas and long sight lines, and every time you step in the field with your head hitbox unprotected by an enclosed vehicle you'll have to expect to drop dead instantly at any moment. It's just no fun, and it's not like outdoors infantry fighting wasn't already a pointless exercise in frustration and gnashing of teeth. The last thing I want to see is Planetside 2 turning into 80% indoor fights like Planetside 1 did.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983909:date=Sep 27 2012, 10:19 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 27 2012, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983909"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The issue is that it'll make sniper rifles dominate outdoor fights. You and I may not be able to aim for ######, but there are people who are frustratingly good at landing headshots. Give them a game like Planetside with huge open areas and long sight lines, and every time you step in the field with your head hitbox unprotected by an enclosed vehicle you'll have to expect to drop dead instantly at any moment. It's just no fun, and it's not like outdoors infantry fighting wasn't already a pointless exercise in frustration and gnashing of teeth. The last thing I want to see is Planetside 2 turning into 80% indoor fights like Planetside 1 did.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The fact that default spawns are further apart than in PS1 and there's less cover, than any long ranged weapon, be it tanks or sniper rifles will dominate, yet you seem to be expecting sniper rifles not to dominate in this scenario. Also, in a game with headshot damage if you expect a sniper rifle not to one hit kill to a headshot than I'm not really sure what to say. There would be no point aiming for the head when you don't get any reward for it with a slow firing weapon. Also, given the skill required to pull off headshots with fast moving targets, bullet drop and projectile travel time will put people off even trying to snipe keeping numbers low. Last but not least, if your faction has a sunderer in a good position and can keep it alive than a death to a sniper means nothing when you're back in the fight in 5 seconds as opposed to PS1s stupidly long respawn times. I can understand being frustrated if headshots existed in PS1 but not in PS2 when death is currently so inconsequantial.
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    All I know is Sunderers with the AMS Certification are amazing.
    <!--quoteo(post=1984105:date=Sep 28 2012, 11:26 AM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Sep 28 2012, 11:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, in a game with headshot damage if you expect a sniper rifle not to one hit kill to a headshot than I'm not really sure what to say. There would be no point aiming for the head when you don't get any reward for it with a slow firing weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There would be no point indeed. So there'd be no reason to. You'd aim for center mass. Just like in Planetside 1. I don't see any issue here. Hell, just leave out locational damage altogether. Just like in Planetside 1.
    So ignore a staple of the FPS genre since forever for reasons that no longer make sense and reduces the skill ceiling because a 9 year old game had it and you don't like change?
    No, those aren't the reasons I listed at all. Please go back and read my posts again, it's clearly laid out.
    If we're really honest one hit kill "head shots" in a universe with nano-weave armour and personal shields its a little silly but it has become the norm in all modern shooters.

I'm gonna give the TR sniper rifle a go later tonight and see if chest shots also kill with one hit as I gave sniping a go the other night and it was unusually easy (compared to PS1) to pick off some infantry on a medium range cliff-top.

Not that I like playing as the infiltrator much but its for science !
    Lol free Certification points!

<!--quoteo(post=1984756:date=Sep 29 2012, 12:00 PM:name=-Drake-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Drake- @ Sep 29 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If we're really honest one hit kill "head shots" in a universe with nano-weave armour and personal shields its a little silly but it has become the norm in all modern shooters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is the gripe with it though.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Everytime I try and play the beta I can't get on a server :( Loading the latest update, hopefully I'll get in today, after the latest update is complete....

Had this a couple of weeks and managed 0 time in game, and even my character creation hasn't happened. Frustrating? Oh yeah :P
    If you are trying to get on when you typed this, badnews bear has to say it closes at Midnight PST usually.
    <!--quoteo(post=1984322:date=Sep 29 2012, 12:41 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 29 2012, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, those aren't the reasons I listed at all. Please go back and read my posts again, it's clearly laid out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Er, it basically was the reasons you gave. The fact you said "Hell, just leave out locational damage altogether. Just like in Planetside 1." pretty much says all I need to hear. The reasons they didn't have it then are no longer relevant so the game has updated to how every other FPS works and you don't like this fact for reasons that don't actually happen in game.
    The game has also updated to tanks that don't need a seperate gunner. Just because they're doing things the way every other fps does it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Hell, I liked Planetside 1 because it WASN'T like every other fps.
    I suppose that just means PS2 is not for you I guess :)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Played it for a couple hours, man it's big.
    Feels like a combination of Halo and Battlefield on an extremely large map.
    Also, positional voice communication :D
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Shall we try & get some organised NSOT onto one of the servers, perhaps?
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I might be up for that, Shock!

Playing solo it's a bit boring, but I guess a group should be more fun. Or a one-sided stomp. Hmm.