Experimental Non Flash Menu Mod

Comments

• XeiZXeiZ Join Date: 2012-04-13 Member: 150384Members
    edited June 2012
    <a href="http://www.sendspace.com/file/4ketao" target="_blank">http://www.sendspace.com/file/4ketao</a>

Docking, 16players, about 10-15 minutes into the game it crashed, about 1mil rows lol.
    I dont have any other mods in there, only menumod, no insight installed - nothing but menumod + autoexec.lua with the normal gfx changes that worked till now.

edit: most rows contain something about lua/GhostStructureMixin.lua , this lua only exists in my ns2/lua folder tho, still normal ns2 doesnt crash at all. I also verified my gamecache when 210 came out. Completly reinstalled menumod too...
  • RustInPiecesRustInPieces Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65210Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1944671:date=Jun 18 2012, 07:04 PM:name=XeiZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XeiZ @ Jun 18 2012, 07:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I monitor my memory/cpu/gpu on 2nd monitor and still have >3gb free memory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How much memory do you have? NS2 is 32bit (I think), so it can't use more than 2GB, even if you have 8 GB RAM.
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You have syntax error in you autoexec script but that shouldn't be causing stuff to fail later on. you could check lua\MaterialUtility.lua is getting loaded typing some random charaters at the very start of it and see if it triggers some error when connecting
  • XeiZXeiZ Join Date: 2012-04-13 Member: 150384Members
    edited June 2012
    No difference , no error, if i open the console its still just spamming the ghoststructuremixin.lua error extremly fast.
    Did a complete fresh install of ns2 itself, no change still spamming that error as soon as i launch with menumod.

edit: removed that last part about seeing marine structures, wasnt the case for the next 5-6 tests
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1945131:date=Jun 20 2012, 11:05 AM:name=XeiZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XeiZ @ Jun 20 2012, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No difference , no error, if i open the console its still just spamming the ghoststructuremixin.lua error extremly fast.
    Did a complete fresh install of ns2 itself, no change still spamming that error as soon as i launch with menumod.

edit again: except of course no healthbars no alien vision etc<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If your health bars were working before you modified MaterialUtility that means it was getting loaded before.

Just add this autoexec script <a href="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36567916/bugcheck_connected.lua" target="_blank">bugcheck_connected.lua</a> to your autoexec directory tell me the info it prints on your screen after you've connected and got errors in your console
  • StoopStoop Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2973Members
    Awesome about the auto-retry! Learn new things every day!

Can someone tell me what the toggle-box in the top right corner is for? I can't seem to figure it out.
    there wasn't really any space to put a label on it. It locks the headers of the server list so you don't accidentally drag them around or resize them when trying to click on one to sort the server list
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    When a lua file is changed, the game (regardless of what mod is running) appears to reload every lua file again. The default gamemode handles this fine, but when running menumod, it bugs out and stops working. Can you fix your mod to accommodate this? It makes it harder (slower) to develop mods for menumod.
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1945799:date=Jun 22 2012, 06:17 AM:name=ceribik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ceribik @ Jun 22 2012, 06:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When a lua file is changed, the game (regardless of what mod is running) appears to reload every lua file again. The default gamemode handles this fine, but when running menumod, it bugs out and stops working. Can you fix your mod to accommodate this? It makes it harder (slower) to develop mods for menumod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually put a huge amount of work into getting hot reloading working just right and should mostly work fine at the menu while not connected since I use this almost everyday but when ingame there several key lua files of the game that use some top level local variables for state and these get blown away when a hot reload starts and break stuff.

I just fixed one issue with my mod <a href="https://github.com/fsfod/NS2BaseUIControls/commit/f43921f1ff80b856ef7c73140fd3df686ac5c485" target="_blank">https://github.com/fsfod/NS2BaseUIControls/...fd3df686ac5c485</a> that was the causing mouse to not show after a hot reload while connected to a game idk if this was the issue you were having. If it wasn't can please post what is breaking for you and i'll try and fix it
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1945845:date=Jun 22 2012, 11:51 PM:name=fsfod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fsfod @ Jun 22 2012, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually put a huge amount of work into getting hot reloading working just right and should mostly work fine at the menu while not connected since I use this almost everyday but when ingame there several key lua files of the game that use some top level local variables for state and these get blown away when a hot reload starts and break stuff.

I just fixed one issue with my mod <a href="https://github.com/fsfod/NS2BaseUIControls/commit/f43921f1ff80b856ef7c73140fd3df686ac5c485" target="_blank">https://github.com/fsfod/NS2BaseUIControls/...fd3df686ac5c485</a> that was the causing mouse to not show after a hot reload while connected to a game idk if this was the issue you were having. If it wasn't can please post what is breaking for and i'll try and fix it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good to hear.

Well, the mouse issue was one of them but there were a few more. IIRC, the scoreboard and menumod's menu break as well.
    try commenting out "local gGUIManager = nil" in ns2\lua\GUIManager.lua and see if that fixs the scoreboard
  • ChristianChristian Join Date: 2012-06-02 Member: 152870Members
    Thank you, good sir!
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1945848:date=Jun 22 2012, 11:59 PM:name=fsfod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fsfod @ Jun 22 2012, 11:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->try commenting out "local gGUIManager = nil" in ns2\lua\GUIManager.lua and see if that fixs the scoreboard<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, that seems to fix it.

Edit: menumod hot reloading also breaks my mod... seems that it might not be reloading it (my mod uses console commands which stop working).
    <!--quoteo(post=1945971:date=Jun 23 2012, 02:34 AM:name=ceribik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ceribik @ Jun 23 2012, 02:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep, that seems to fix it.

Edit: menumod hot reloading also breaks my mod... seems that it might not be reloading it (my mod uses console commands which stop working).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you using my mod system because mod files should be getting hot reloaded. Your gonna need show me how your mod is setup if you want me figure out what wrong.
    I should also note as part of hot reloading the game wipes all lua registered console commands
    <!--quoteo(post=1946058:date=Jun 23 2012, 10:09 PM:name=fsfod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fsfod @ Jun 23 2012, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you using my mod system because mod files should be getting hot reloaded. Your gonna need show me how your mod is setup if you want me figure out what wrong.
    I should also note as part of hot reloading the game wipes all lua registered console commands<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I am. My mod just consists of few functions that are called via console commands. If they're getting wiped, then why wouldn't they just get re-registered when reloaded? It works fine with hot-reloading when I don't load them via menumod.
    0.34 24/06/2012
    <ul>Added support for setting secondary keys for keybinds
    Added support for modifier+key keybinds like Ctl-Q
    Added keybinds for Scan and Nano Construct
    Added a link to menu to open the NS2's Steam Workshop webpage
    The Steam Workshop mod list tab of the mod page is now functional
    Fixed the text of buttons getting downscaled twice when ui scaling is active for low resolutions</li></ul>
  • SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just wanted to say thanks for great work on this and for keeping it updated :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Newest update (0.34) seems to break the left shift key special movement (i.e. can't shadow step or walk quietly).
    You just need to rebind you shift/ctl/alt keys again to the same binds to fix them I also reuploaded the current version with small change that will do this fix is automatically
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    edited June 2012
    Is it possible, to implement an alternative keybinding (second optional keybinding) ? I would pretty much appreciate it.

*edit* Never mind !
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Thanks for the update
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When will the update for the current build be out?
    <!--quoteo(post=1948094:date=Jul 1 2012, 02:50 AM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Jul 1 2012, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When will the update for the current build be out?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I only put out an update for a new build if the build break something. Is something broken for you?
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    edited July 2012
    Accidently starting the mod by clicking on the ns2.exe-modshortcut without steam allready running, causes a full setback of audio and grafic-changes.
    Its a minor but annoying issue.

Little workaround:
    open steam -> library -> right click naturalselection2 -> properties -> set launch options -> -game menumod

now u can double click your normal ns2 shortcut, steam will automatically load and start ns2 with your desired mods.

PS: This "Bug" is not caused by this particular mod... its rather a general issue caused by steam or ns2.

*edit* launchpad wont start with -game option
  • emilemil Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149330Members
    maybe the issue was already solved here, but could not find it. Since 211/212 I cannot start menumod anymore, even with the newest version. I just have a black screen with the loading symbol. Anything I have to change in order that it´s starting again properly?
    <!--quoteo(post=1949858:date=Jul 8 2012, 12:08 PM:name=emil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (emil @ Jul 8 2012, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->maybe the issue was already solved here, but could not find it. Since 211/212 I cannot start menumod anymore, even with the newest version. I just have a black screen with the loading symbol. Anything I have to change in order that it´s starting again properly?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could you post your ns2 log file Its path is %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\log.txt just paste the path into explorer's address bar and hit enter to open it
    Date: 07/08/12
    Time: 19:43:27
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 212
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (8.14.10.678)
    ModuleBootstrap: luabind.dll failed to run(Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.

)
    Script Error #1: MenuMod_Client.lua:25: None of the overloads for Shared.Message match the supplied arguments:
    Shared.Message(nil)
    Overloads:
    Shared.Message(string message)
    Call stack:
    #1: Message [C]:-1
    #2: MenuMod_Client.lua:25
    result = false
    message = nil
    #3: Load [C]:-1
    #4: lua/Main.lua:3
    Updating of subscribed mods is complete (not subscribed to any mods).
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    edited July 2012
    If you haven't tried deleting the mod and extracting somewhere again try that first. If that doesn't work you should try reinstalling the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8328" target="_blank">Visual c++ Runtime</a> needed by the mod because that might fix the problem your having.
    Deleting the mod and reinstalling, did not help. But when I installed Visual C++ and after reinstalling the mod, it was working agaiin!!
    THank you very much for ur help!
  • Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
    This mod is sweet.