Why are Marines so fast

IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
<div class="IPBDescription">And why they should be slower</div>Ok, Just been playing a 9v9 (:O) match on summit (which is an awesome map, and should definitely become one of the standard maps). Now, thankfully lag wasn't too much of an issue, but there was a massive problem with playing aliens.

Every time I came across a marine, it was almost impossible to hit them.

Now I started off as a skulk (as you do), and got a few kills, but it became very quickly apparent that I just couldn't consistently kill marines. Riddle me this; why are skulks not faster than marines? I remember in the old NS, when you walked really slowly backwards, but now you can just run around in random directions at the speed of the skulk, holding LMB. When I went to the fade, the problems decreased slightly, but they were still there. For example; outside, near the RT on summit (can't remember the actual name), there were two fades, trying to kill a marine with a shotty. Because he was just jumping round in circles, the fades couldn't keep up, and took ages to kill him.

Now am I just imagining things, or has the range of melee weapons decreased? And are skulks and fades actually faster than marines? If not, why not? A marine should have to work in a squad otherwise splat (saw some awesome squad gameplay in this game btw), not be this bizarrely un-killable machine.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Marines aren't faster than skulks/fades but melee hit detection sucks right now.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2011
    I do believe the skulk bite is being tweaked for the next patch.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1846954:date=May 18 2011, 01:58 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 18 2011, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do believe the skulk bite is being tweaked for the next patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AKA. The skulk bite is being fixed because it's broken. "Tweaked" did make me lol.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    I think the idea is that skulks and marines move at the same base speed, marines can't run backwards and skulks can leap, tilting the base speed advantage in the skulk's favour.

Once upgrade chambers come into the game, I wouldn't be surprised to see a celerity-style upgrade giving a buff to a skulk's base speed, further ruining a marine's chances of keeping his distance.

I beleive skulk bites failing to register are an unrelated issue.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    The aliens are a bit inferior to the marines at the moment. The marines have long range weapons with quite a bit of ammo and all of which are lag compensated.

UWE have already said that they will introduce the old upgrading menu for the aliens in NS1:
    <!--quoteo(post=1846799:date=May 17 2011, 06:09 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 17 2011, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, aliens will have upgrades again, and they are going to be in the alien buy menu. That menu is being reworked at the moment, and has been designed to allow for plenty of upgrades that the aliens can purchase. Getting upgrades back into the game is a high priority for us as it should add a lot to the alien side.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • InfinityInfinity And beyond&#33; Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 50Members
    edited May 2011
    All in due time.

Skulk bite is likely to get tweaked quite a few times, as newer builds become faster and hit detection becomes more accurate.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    skulk bite is not broken, it registers the hits correctly. Its just too small right now. You have to really touch the marine to hit.

anyway, marines are not too fast. skulks have leap, and run a little faster than a sprinting marine anyway.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847019:date=May 18 2011, 09:47 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ May 18 2011, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->run a little faster than a sprinting marine anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah but by the time you actually catch up the with the marine you are surrounded by 5 of them and you are forced to use xenoc---
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited May 2011
    aliens generally are much slower, much of their movement feels rather awkward and stiff compared to ns1.

marines can out run fades, skulks easily with sprint currently.
    MACS are faster than skulks even, much of this needs addressing.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    Mmm, I always thought the Marine should be slowed down a bit to promote an even bigger difference in gameplay. I am also a fan of tactical shooting games on top of faced past action...so...I'd like to see adjustments made to Marine movement/speed. I don't want my ability to climb on stuff crippled though.

I made a getsatisfaction post about this a LONG time ago. :D. It's got reasons and stuff.

<a href="http://gsfn.us/t/1ynus" target="_blank">http://gsfn.us/t/1ynus</a>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1847384:date=May 19 2011, 10:59 AM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ May 19 2011, 10:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mmm, I always thought the Marine should be slowed down a bit to promote an even bigger difference in gameplay. I am also a fan of tactical shooting games on top of faced past action...so...I'd like to see adjustments made to Marine movement/speed. I don't want my ability to climb on stuff crippled though.

I made a getsatisfaction post about this a LONG time ago. :D. It's got reasons and stuff.

<a href="http://gsfn.us/t/1ynus" target="_blank">http://gsfn.us/t/1ynus</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Am I the only one who opposes the 'marines should move like they're in jello' club?
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I like the idea that *initially* marines would be slightly faster than skulks. However, as others have said, I expect upgrades (like celerity) to significantly shift the balance to the alien side. In response, marines have to research other upgrades to try to even the gameplay.

...and the battle continues...
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Skulks should be smaller and faster imho.
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847399:date=May 19 2011, 08:45 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ May 19 2011, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I the only one who opposes the 'marines should move like they're in jello' club?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the alternative is "humans can outrun four legged aliens that are designed to be the ultimate predator while running backwards and firing an assault rifle" then yes.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited May 2011
  • brunoagainbrunoagain Join Date: 2011-05-18 Member: 99397Members
    In my opinion, Marines are supposed to work in group, walk through the map in groups or at least in pairs.
    That's why in NS1 aliens are faster! Because even if there is like 3 skulks vs 3 marines, marines can kill them. But if shows up just 1 marine, he better run haha

Well, I can't say much about NS2 because I don't have it.. But what I've seen in videos.. The fade is so slow (compared to the blink in ns1, and strong marine weapons in ns2) that 1 marine with shotgun can kill him easily!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited May 2011
    They aren't that fast. They are about as fast as a skuik while using sprint, skulsk get leap, fades get blink, lerks can fly, and aliens in general can use vents to get around the level far faster.

Aliens are much faster than marines.

The only real problem right now is melee detection, it's kinda poor. But if the marine wants to run away, let him. You still won either way. My advice would be to take the time to find a good hiding spot and wait for him to come back, if he does, kill him. If he doesn't, congrats you probably put him out of action for longer than killing him would.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Marines normal speed is slower then the skulk's normal movement speed, but the marine sprint speed is faster than skulks normal movement speed.

However regardless if the marine is running or sprinting as long as you use leap effectively you should never have a problem closing the distance between yourself and the marine. However movement in NS2 is still being worked on, skulk Bite is fully functional, its just that there is almost always ping/tickrate related lag.

Also if you were not getting the amount of kills as you expected just remember that it may have been late game (i may have been on the server if you played for the first time on summit, i remember someone new joining the alien team). In late game generally skulks generally don't have what it takes to take down shotgun/flame thrower marines by themselves. Even though you've played NS1 the play style is somewhat different now that we are all on a new engine try playing for a few days and see if you get the hang of it.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Or play lerk, like I do. Much easier than trying to melee people.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    In NS1 aren't base skulks faster than base marines?
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    edited May 2011
    Skulks feel a bit too big to me compared to NS1, only slightly tho.

hiding on the roof and its dark as and i feel fully covered and barely visible more times then not a marine will see me and BAM SHOTGUN DED.

I cant imagine what it would be like playing onos on these maps, they're so tight.
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    you could bunny hop in ns1 which was like 1.7x base speed soo... compairing marie to skulk base speed in ns1 isn't all that relevent
  • mills4545mills4545 Join Date: 2010-09-11 Member: 73979Members
    Does anyone else think that the sprint key was sort of implemented just because almost every other fps has added it? It's just my opinion that it doesn't fit with the whole "teamwork" gameplay as most of the time you sprint to gtfo there and head back to the armory for health instead of staying and helping your teammates while waiting for the medpack.

And I think it's about time we have a race. My skulk vs. your rine.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847447:date=May 20 2011, 06:07 AM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ May 20 2011, 06:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines normal speed is slower then the skulk's normal movement speed, but the marine sprint speed is faster than skulks normal movement speed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    False. Load up Decoda and check the game code.

<!--quoteo(post=1847549:date=May 20 2011, 07:49 PM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ May 20 2011, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulks feel a bit too big to me compared to NS1, only slightly tho.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed. They look massive.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847685:date=May 21 2011, 12:17 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 21 2011, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->False. Load up Decoda and check the game code.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That was a perfectly good opportunity to quote some more Lua-script, what's wrong with you?

Last time I checked a sprinting marine and a skulk's running-speed were _almost_ the same (skulks being just ever so slightly faster). But when pursuing a marine all a skulk has to do is a make a wrong (sideway-)move and you've lost him, and even if you catch up the time it took you to do so he'll be near his buddies already. Skulks are hopeless in NS2.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I'll send it to you in a PM.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I'm not a fan of the sprint really, though with celerity likely making a comeback that'll at least have been cleared up somewhat I guess.

I've been in plenty of cases where a sprinting marine stays ahead long enough to get me into an ambush of friendly support if I kept following. It's somewhat annoying but mostly rare since most I've encountered just stick around and fight unless I'm a fade or something.

Honestly I'd like see the jump slowdown back in, but that's only kind of on topic.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847633:date=May 20 2011, 11:41 PM:name=mills4545)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mills4545 @ May 20 2011, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone else think that the sprint key was sort of implemented just because almost every other fps has added it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We don't make our decisions based on whether or not other FPS games have something, we base our decision on whether a feature will add value to the gameplay, help to fix issues, add depth and strategy, and generally make the game more fun. In the case of sprint it largely came about from Charlie's frustration with spawning at an IP alone, and having to slowly make his way to the other side of the map where a battle is happening. We want players to be able to quickly get into and out of combat, and spend more of their time fighting or building, then wandering through the map.
    <!--quoteo(post=1847703:date=May 21 2011, 12:33 PM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ May 21 2011, 12:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847703"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly I'd like see the jump slowdown back in, but that's only kind of on topic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We aren't happy with how rapidly marines can jump around currently, and will most likely be adding in some kind of slowdown, or pause between jumps to make marines less bouncy.
    --Cory
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    it is anyway completely unrealistic (jumping). of course, every person can jump during a battle, but i cannot imagine anyone would do it in reality when shooting. a giant space cow is charging up to you and you are.... jumping?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    realistic or not, jumping feels good and gives the perception of unhindered movement. i would hate to quote WoW as an example.. It will be super sad only being able to jump every 2 seconds or something :(. Also, do we really need sprint if PG's are coming back?